• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hernandez Meets with Media

TenGator1

Gator Fan
Tight-lipped
Rookie tight end Aaron Hernandez met the media yesterday, but was not willing to discuss the personal problems that affected his draft status, most notably the alleged multiple drug tests he failed at the University of Florida.

When asked about predraft questions he faced from NFL teams, he said, “That’s in the past. I’m just worried about the future and the present. And I just keep coming out every day. I’ve forgot about the past, and just keep grinding and doing the best I can for this team.

“People can think what they want,’’ he said, adding that he is simply trying to become the best player he can be and help the Patriots as much as possible.

Hernandez’s signing bonus is just 40 percent of the bonus of the player chosen four spots ahead of him, and there are roster bonuses in each year of the pact if he makes the 53-man roster. Those bonuses are a way to recoup the up-front money he sacrificed, but Hernandez will only see that money if he plays out the deal.

continued at http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/06/17/brady_acts_as_a_union_soldier/

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Well it certainly seems that Aaron has a chip on his shoulder about how he is perceived. I think that drive to produce on the field coupled with the coaching staff at New England should help him turn into quite the player in the big leagues. I don't care for the Patriots, but I'm rooting for Aaron to succeed there. I always had hoped more would come from Chad Jackson once he was drafted there, but right after he got hurt they brought in Welker and Moss and that was it for him.

I find if kind of funny that the Patriots have Gerrard Warren and Fred Taylor - two former Gators nearing the ends of their careers - and then they bring in Aaron Hernandez, Jermaine Cunningham, and Brandon Spikes in the same draft. Way to reload on those Gators Belichick! I'm hoping that all three of them can succeed up there or at least do well enough there to get traded to another team where they'll be able to shine.

TenGator1

Gator Fan
I also do not like the Pats, but its hard not to pull for them with so many former Gators on the team. I loved seeing Gaffney and Caldwell together on that roster. Chad Jackson was a disappointment to say the least.

Percy winning ROY honors should go along way to improve the perception that UF players don't have good NFL careers. Emmit and Youngblood set the bar but until Percy who has really stuck out? Alex Brown?

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Jevon Kearse had a pretty great run for a while, but he definitely lost his stride later on. Beyond him, however, most of our draft picks have either tanked, flown under the radar, or built reputations among their teams fanbase as being consistent, great players without really being able to have that recognition translate to the larger sports atmosphere. Harvin is definitely leading the charge of Gators in the NFL though. However, Louis Murphy down in Oakland was able to bring in a few game winning catches last season so I'm hoping to see him build into something special even if he doesn't get the attention.

TenGator1

Gator Fan
if Lou had any kind of a quarterback out there, his season would have been another break-out as far as Gators in the NFL go. I hope they get someone out there who is able to make some throws Murphs way.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
Well Jason Campbell has shown potential in the NFL, he just hasn't had a level shot in Washington to get anything going for more than a year at a time before things changed on him again. Hopefully he can catch on there and actually be given a fair chance to develop himself. Granted Oakland is far from being a pinnacle of stability, but the fact that Davis ditched Russel - holy god what a bust - and kept Cable on for another year are the best signs for success in Oakland in the last 7 years. Plus they actually had their smartest draft in quite a while this year. Hopefully Campbell and Murphy will click and the offense won't go out of its way to create a star in Heyward-Bey and will just wait for him to mature into a player naturally.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
During his time with the Jaguars, Fred Taylor was productive (albeit injured often). Jabar Gaffney has also shown that he can make plays from time to time with the teams he's been on.

Also, Neal Anderson had a stellar career with the Chicago Bears - and he's one I'd love to see get a plaque on the Florida Football Ring of Honor.

OL Max Starks has 2 Super Bowl rings to his credit during his NFL career with the Steelers.

Lito Sheppard was also a playmaker while he was with the "Iggles".

There's even hope for the UFA's; Earnest Graham eventually made the team at Tampa, and from what I've read recently Kestahn Moore is being mentored at Kansas City by veteran RB Thomas Jones (who once played at Chicago).

All being said, there's hope for Aaron Hernandez. Talent will get him far, but the right attitude will take him even higher. I'd love to see him and all of our recent Gator draft class do well, as well as see Percy and Louis keep on doing what they're doing - and prove all the media pundits wrong when they accuse Urban Meyer of not preparing guys for the next level.

TenGator1

Gator Fan
speaking of busts, i completely missed on Reggie Nelson. I guessed he was ticketed for great things in the NFL. So far he isn't even a blip on the radar.

AK Gator

Gator Fan
speaking of busts, i completely missed on Reggie Nelson. I guessed he was ticketed for great things in the NFL. So far he isn't even a blip on the radar.

Reggie Nelson, Jarvis Moss, and Derick Harvey all pretty much got drafted with high praise and thudded to the turf in a mushroom cloud of mediocrity. I had very high hopes for all three and am still sad that none have produced in the NFL. I'm rather shocked that Moss is still on the Broncos team to be honest.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Lest we forget, Rex Grossman was also a disappointment as a first-rounder. Had he been more mature and had a better work ethic, he could have made something out of his NFL career to-date. Aside from that one season when he was part of the Bears' Super Bowl team in 2006-07, he hasn't really done anything noteworthy, and statwise his INT numbers exceed his TD's completed. Now he's more or less relegated to being a journeyman backup, and not even Drew Rosenhaus (his agent who has some questionable ethics IMO) can do anything about that.

He spent last season with Houston, but has signed in with Shanny at Washington - I wonder if the fact that Mike Shanahan was once part of a UF coaching staff had any influence in Rex's signing with them?

AK Gator

Gator Fan
I kind of doubt it. I think he just wanted a cheap, younger backup with starting experience in case McNabb ends up getting injured.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema