• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator speculators unite: Texas Tech DC leaves ‘to pursue other opportunities’

The Zooker

VIP Member
Definitely looks like he's going to be on our staff. I think it's a great hire. The guy can recruit and he's an up-and-coming coaching talent. The fact that he isn't a huge name coordinator is a good thing. His salary won't have to be huge so it will leave room for hiring the much needed big time offensive coordinator. The fact that he isn't a big name guy also leads me to expect Muschamp having a large role in the defense.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I would have to say Pass on this one. Nearly last in Defense this year.

Honestly, I am still not 100% convinced the HC choice what the correct one. Florida is one of the best jobs in the country, why go with someone unproven?

Just saying....

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I would have to say Pass on this one. Nearly last in Defense this year.

Honestly, I am still not 100% convinced the HC choice what the correct one. Florida is one of the best jobs in the country, why go with someone unproven?

Just saying....

I thought the same initially, but what I want now is a fired up, fiery coach that is excited to be here. That's MusCHOMP. What he lacks in HC experience he makes up for in DC experience in the SEC and Big 12. He also learned the ropes of HC from one of the best, Mack Brown. I do not think he will be another Ron Zook.

As for the possible DC choice, Willis may be the best available if Kirby Smart cannot be wrestled out of Alabama. Who else is left? Besides, I am more concerned about the OC than the DC. MusCHOMP can always dual-hat himself as HC and co-DC to make up for a weaker DC.

EDIT: I am reading unconfirmed reports that Willis was involved in a domestic dispute at home. Methinks Muschamp will want to avoid the potential baggage with this guy, unless it comes out quickly that Willis was innocent. (Maybe it was Willis' dad and he knew nothing about it!)

The Zooker

VIP Member
Yep, looks like Willis is scratched off the list. I wouldn't hold this past season against him in the stats department though. Mike Leach didn't exactly recruit much talent on that side of the ball. And if both Saban and Tuberville think he is worthy of a hire then I'm led to believe the guy knows a thing or two about football. Too bad we'll never see it.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm telling ya...more and more it keeps getting hammered home: we're going to have to be patient, wait out this inter-bowl "time gap" and let things happen in their own way. We may be taking some hits right now, but things are going on behind the scenes that we have to hope are part of a plan to bring in the "right guys".
(Whether this latest minor fiasco is a part of the inadvertent public-vetting-process or just the normal media guys getting antsy and throwing out names, then the candidate-of-the-moment's facade cracking in the glare of the spotlight, is unknown and may well remain that way--except that whatever his true status originally, we can be sure he's NOT on the list NOW...(sigh) Again, this is EXACTLY why I'm trying to just "let it come to ME" this time: With so little news and even less apparent activity--and ZERO signs of panic or anxiety among the powers-that-be--I really DO believe most of it is already settled, with some details and timing to be worked out, etc., etc., and it'll all break the first week of the New Year.)

The Zooker

VIP Member
Willis could still end up on our staff if he turns out to be innocent of the charges. It could just be as a linebacker coach. Until it's official, anything's possible. The latest DC rumor is about the Seahawks DL coach -- Dan Quinn. But as always it's just "sources" reporting it. We all know how reliable college football "sources" are.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
My favorite "reliable sources":
- Bull Gator overheard at a meeting
- Friend of a coach
- Friend of a graduate assistant who overheard something
- Mysterious inside reporter
- Bleacher Report dot com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members