• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

FSU to have 20 players suspended

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
Looks like there has been some pretty widespread academic dishonesty on the FSU football team. They will have 20 players suspended for their bowl and the first 3 games of next year according to ESPN. :hammer: :rockon: :thrashskin:

As many as 20 Florida State football players will be suspended from playing against Kentucky in the Dec. 31 Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl, as well as the first three games of the 2008 season, for their roles in an alleged cheating scandal involving an Internet-based course, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday morning.

Florida State officials are expected to announce the results of the investigation this week. The source said university officials determined Monday night the exact number of football players who will be suspended. The university isn't expected to immediately reveal the identities of the student-athletes involved in the alleged cheating.

"If the players fight the suspensions, they'll risk losing all of their eligibility," a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday morning.

The source said student-athletes in several other sports also were implicated in the cheating scandal.

The investigation already has led to the resignations of two academic assistance employees who worked with FSU student-athletes. The school revealed in September that as many as 23 student-athletes were given answers before taking tests over the Internet.

Further investigations revealed additional student-athletes were involved in the cheating, according to the source.

The school's investigation found that a tutor gave students answers while they were taking tests and filled in answers on quizzes and typed papers for students.

Florida State president T.K. Wetherell, a former Seminoles football player, reported the initial findings in a letter to the NCAA in September.

Wetherell ordered an investigation by the university's Office of Audit Services in May after receiving information an athletics department tutor had directed one athlete to take an online quiz for another athlete and then provided the answers.

The tutor implicated in the audit told investigators he had been providing students with answers for the test since the fall of 2006, according to a university report.

The school announced in October that athletics director Dave Hart Jr. will resign Dec. 31. Wetherell appointed State Rep. William "Bill" Proctor interim athletics director. Proctor also is a former FSU football player.

The school announced last week that longtime football coach Bobby Bowden had agreed to a one-year contract extension through the 2008 season that will pay him at least $1.98 million. Bowden, who is in his 32nd season at the school, is major college football's all-time winningest coach with 373 career victories.

Florida State also designated offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher as Bowden's eventual successor. Fisher's new contract calls for him to replace Bowden by the end of the 2010 season. If Fisher isn't named FSU's new coach by then, the school's booster organization would owe him $2.5 million. Under the terms of the new contract, Fisher would owe Seminoles boosters $2.5 million if he leaves the school before the end of the 2010 season.

The Seminoles struggled for the fourth consecutive season in 2007, finishing 7-5 overall, 4-4 in ACC play. It is the fourth consecutive season they failed to win 10 games, after winning at least 10 games in 14 consecutive seasons, from 1987 to 2000.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159534

And do not be shocked if most of the players suspended are not starters.

You have to love that they originally reported this in September, played a full season and after getting a terrible bowl game are doing this. Nice timing.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
And do not be shocked if most of the players suspended are not starters.

You have to love that they originally reported this in September, played a full season and after getting a terrible bowl game are doing this. Nice timing.

That's what the worst about FSU, imo. Not the fact that their football players get into trouble, but that they never come down hard on their football players when they do get in trouble.

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Typical
boomer2.gif

UGAsucks

VIP Member
ownedhelpbp6.jpg

if you cant tell i had nothing better to do so i went into MS paint and added the go noles thing to get the point across better

36 players will not play. I hope they get pounded!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Thirty-six Florida State players won't be going to the Dec. 31 Music City Bowl against Kentucky because of an academic cheating scandal, violations of team rules, injuries or other reasons.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Linebacker Dekoda Watson, cornerback Patrick Robinson, who had six interceptions, and three top defensive tackles were among the players sidelined either as a result of the ongoing investigation into an academic cheating scandal at the school or some other violation of team rules. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"It is very important that the media make clear that those missing the bowl trip are not included because of either injury or for a violation of team policy," associate athletic director Rob Wilson said in a statement accompanying the travel list. "It would be irresponsible to imply or state that any or all of the student-athletes will miss the trip for one particular reason." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The total number of players not going to the game was determined by comparing the travel list with the roster provided by the university. That figure, however, was disputed by Wilson, who said up to 10 walk-ons would have stayed home regardless. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The school announced earlier this week that as many as 25 players might be affected by its ongoing investigation of academic wrongdoing by the athletes. It didn't identify which students. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] A violation of team rules could range from poor class attendance to a run-in with the law or failing a drug test, among many other things. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Florida State roster was so thinned by the academic scandal that the team had room for 17 players on the traveling party who are either redshirt freshmen or athletes who suffered season-ending or career-ending injuries this season. Only 43 scholarship players are available to coach Bobby Bowden for the game. [/FONT]

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10542242

I love how Robinson played us and this happening. I bet he loves being on a crap team that will not get better and that will never be dominant while he is there. Good call Patrick!

Kevin

Gator Fan
Fsu? They stink!

What do you think about all those FSU players getting suspended? They will get killed by UK if they were to have all of their players or if they only had 2 of them that could play n that game! I hope they lose every game they play next season! THEY STINK!

Kevin

Gator Fan
I heard FSU is desperate to the point that Charlie Brown will suit up as a kicker. :Banane37:

I wouldn't have a problem believing that! Charlie Brown can kick better than their kicker! Now that you mention it, i think my 90 yr. old grandma can kick better than he can

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema