• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Florida v. Georgia week!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
YES! Finally! It was ugly, we blew a good lead, did everything to LOSE, then PULLED IT OUT.
I'm exhausted. Now, "if only"...oh well, enjoy the win, Gators: this will continue to be a rocky road.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I wouldn't say bench JB, but definitely play him less. 1st downs and 2-minute offense only.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So, if Urban's still "HERE", does that mean Addazio's still "THERE", which in turn means that Brantley remains "the main guy" at QB, no matter WHAT Driskell (Is that not the right spelling?) shows 'em come Spring?
This is a stubborn duo, I think we can count on that much about them. Don't you expect post-game statements in the coming hours and days about their "adjustments and fine tuning to the offense", how they "eliminated the mistakes" and all "graded out as champions" (pick your squad: O-line, receivers, JB himself)?
Once again, we will be faced with the choice: What do you believe?
Urban Meyer, or your lyin' eyes?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I can not express how much I hate this offense right now. We have had zero progress as a unit 8 games into the season. WTF is going on . Did we recruit that bad? Has Meyer lost his touch? Is Addazio that freaking bad, well I might know the answer to that question. I need answers not excuses.

It can't be recruiting bad because they were in the top 10 and yet they can't execute.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We ALL "hate this offense right now"!!! And it's emphatically NOT recruiting. And I can't lay it all at the feet of Addazio anymore (even if you could, SOMEONE "lets" him keep "doing it", so...). Know where I'm going here, friends? Look, he's only NAMED after a pope, OK?

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
It can't be recruiting bad because they were in the top 10 and yet they can't execute.

Rankings don't mean too much. Thompson was rated a five star wide receiver and in college he is not that good. Has all the physical tools but couldn't catch a cold.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Meyer irrates me. Brantley did not look good. I understand a win is a win but Georgia gave us this game. We did not earn or deserve it. I understand football is about turn overs and capitalizing on them but give me a break. Georgia earned all of there scores. We scored off turnovers or a long run by Burton. Passing game still looks bad 8 games into the season. Line cant block. Pouncey cant snap. Now our defensive backs cant cover one guy, even in triple coverage they score a touch down. I still don't understand why we cant get a pass rush. In my opinion from top to bottom we are not a good football team. Maybe next year we can turn it all around and maybe Brantley can grow up and be a leader. Nothing to be happy about here folks just another bad day of watching a poorly executed football game, but hey its a win right? " What Ever"

ShortBus

VIP Member
I didn't think brantley looked bad. he wasn't great. but when he had time he did make some good throws. but hell if u give me enough time i can make a good throw too. I agree with Inked.. Bench him and let burton and reed run the offense... we actually move the ball when they're at the helm

Escambia94

1. The problem is the offensive line, Dazzler Addazio's baby. The wrinkle that worked in the first half is that by switching between a passing offense and a spread-option, it kept the opposing defense on its feet and annoyed the piss out of Mark Richt. Better yet, with Burton or Reed at QB, those guys are so strong that a weak o-line doesn't phase them. Then when switching to JB, the defense would have to change strategy, especially when the Dive, Dive, Dive works in the first half with Rainey and Demps. The problem is that Dive, Dive, Dive with JB does not work without more Burton and Reed--see the second half.

2. JB will only succeed next year if Deonte Brickhands Thompson makes those catches, Frankie Hammond comtinues looking great running across the middle, and the o-line holds due to switching out QBs.

3. Special teams is not as strong as it should be. This is supposed to be Urban's baby.

4. Defensive secondary was exposed. Jeremy Brown and Will Hill need to pass off receivers better. Janoris Jenkins did get beat a couple times, but he shut down AJ Green for the most part.

5. Urban Meyer was fired up. I was happy with seeing him look like the old Urban Meyer in the first half, less in the second. It looked like he was in charge of the team for the first time since last December.

6. Chas Henry. I like this kid too much for us to keep putting him in this position. He did well today and it boosted his confidence for next time, but can we depend on him when we need a 45 yarder to win? 52 yarder? I wonder if he can drop kick?

7. Pouncey. I dislike him. We got away with a few bad snaps, even this late in the season.

My list of Gators that graded out as a champion:
- The Gator fans that put up with this emotional roller coaster
- Chas Henry (MVP)
- Trey Burton
- Frankie Hammond, Jr
- Deonte Thompson
- Jordan Reed
- Will Hill
- 1st half defense

My Dawg House:
- Second half offense under Brantley
- Second half defense
- The entire offensive line
- Pouncey
- Pouncey's mom
- Any agent that even thinks of Pouncey

Escambia94

That was an ugly win. Team still looks crappy on the whole.

This is definitely true in the second half. The first half was not quite as ugly. If I had to pick one area to improve, it would be the offensive line. With something better than a high school offensive line, we may have looked a lot better despite the tweaked play calling.

The Zooker

VIP Member
This is definitely true in the second half. The first half was not quite as ugly. If I had to pick one area to improve, it would be the offensive line. With something better than a high school offensive line, we may have looked a lot better despite the tweaked play calling.

I have to rewatch the DVR of the game today at some point. After Janoris got that first interception we had the ball in a perfect spot. Then I watched what our offense did with the opportunity. I got up out of my chair, walked into the kitchen, scooped the ice out of my Jack on the Rocks, and quickly gulped the entire glass down. Made another and walked back into the living room. By the time we hit overtime I was pretty blitzed. My overall complaint with the offense is that there is no rhythm. When you watch teams who have a good offensive coordinator you can tell that they are scheming something up constantly. Each play builds upon the previous play. Each play has a purpose. Addazio on the other hand has a board with plays written on bar napkins. He throws a dart at it and calls whatever it lands on. Sometimes he even has trouble with that because the napkins are covered in orange cheetoh residue and can be difficult to interpret. Throw on top of that a horrible offensive line and our offense is just crappy. The only saving grace we have is some amazing athletes that can make something out of nothing occasionally. They bail out our weak coaching. Meyer and Addazio did not coach a win. The players got the win with nothing but their athletic ability.

OldCityGator

Gator Fan
Come on guys, take at least the weekend to enjoy the victory before you start criticizing the team.

Were they perfect? Heck no, but this isn't going to be an easy season and we all know that.

Take a breath, be thankful for the win, and hope we play better next time.

OldCityGator

Escambia94

I have to rewatch the DVR of the game today at some point. After Janoris got that first interception we had the ball in a perfect spot. Then I watched what our offense did with the opportunity. I got up out of my chair, walked into the kitchen, scooped the ice out of my Jack on the Rocks, and quickly gulped the entire glass down. Made another and walked back into the living room. By the time we hit overtime I was pretty blitzed. My overall complaint with the offense is that there is no rhythm. When you watch teams who have a good offensive coordinator you can tell that they are scheming something up constantly. Each play builds upon the previous play. Each play has a purpose. Addazio on the other hand has a board with plays written on bar napkins. He throws a dart at it and calls whatever it lands on. Sometimes he even has trouble with that because the napkins are covered in orange cheetoh residue and can be difficult to interpret. Throw on top of that a horrible offensive line and our offense is just crappy. The only saving grace we have is some amazing athletes that can make something out of nothing occasionally. They bail out our weak coaching. Meyer and Addazio did not coach a win. The players got the win with nothing but their athletic ability.

I will give the coaches credit for coaching in the first half. The ball was moving, and it seems that about 60 different players had a chance to make a case for more playing time.

In the second half, the adjustments seemed to be "go back to what we did the past three weeks".

It's tough to enjoy the win when we know that all this game did was save Urban Meyer for a week. The game was not set up as a "stop the 3-game losing streak from going to 4 games". This game was sold as "win and you control your destiny in the future, the SEC East race."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's Face It:

@ Ufgatorfan: "Maybe next year we can turn it all around and maybe Brantley can grow up to be a leader..."
...and maybe (as they say) "gators" will fly out my butt. Now, I'm don't mean that as sarcastically as it sounds, not in this case when addressing a fellow Gator, at any rate--but I really want to stress how unlikely that seems without drastic change in this team and how it is run.

@ Shortbus: You're right, JB DID show signs (whole stretches) of being that "great pocket passer with the cannon arm", as originally advertised--but it is as obvious as ever that unless the offense really IS going to be changed, adapted for HIM (the flashes he shows in restricted situations only underlines this truth), he's the wrong guy in the wrong place. After all the talk, that "change" never happened this year; does anyone believe it'll happen before NEXT season?
If you have followed discussions at this site over the past few weeks you'd know that you're not alone in your observation that the offense comes alive when Burton and/or Reed are in there in a way that Brantley has not been able to bring out of the same personnel. Next year we've got Driskell coming in, by all accounts (and video evidence, albeit from the highschool level) a kid with these same kind of multi-faceted, athletic pass/run/inspire-skills, only maybe MORE so. It seems to me we'd do well to start getting him in for some game-experience at LEAST--preferably in a system like the one that we'll be expecting him to take over (possibly "the sooner the better").

@ Escamia94:

Thoughtful, detailed analysis...I agree with most of it, but you're showing more patience and optimism (and, in the case of certain players and coaches, more benefit of the doubt) than I have for them at this point.
I know you're as fed up as I am, so I commend you on your even-handedness, and pose this question:
Is there a particular alcoholic beverage or prescription drug that you can recommend?
(Just kidding.)

@ Zooker:

It WAS an "ugly win", and this team DOES "look crappy" (watching the replay won't fix it).
We all see it, and our answer to OldCityGator is that no matter HOW relieved we were at winning (I just can't call that eked out mess "Victory"), this team is NOT getting better, and one of our biggest FEARS is that simply by virtue of the punter making this one FG in overtime, "this way instead of that way",
those responsible for the larger "mess" that is this team now get to continue making claims that are patently untrue. Worse, they continue making the same decisions, taking us further down the wrong road we're already on. The longer THAT continues, the longer the road back.

Escambia94

@ Ufgatorfan: "Maybe next year we can turn it all around and maybe Brantley can grow up to be a leader..."...

@ Shortbus: You're right, JB DID show signs (whole stretches) of being that "great pocket passer with the cannon arm", as originally advertised--but it is as obvious as ever that unless the offense really IS going to be changed, adapted for HIM (the flashes he shows in restricted situations only underlines this truth), he's the wrong guy in the wrong place. ...

@ Escambia94:

Thoughtful, detailed analysis...I agree with most of it, but you're showing more patience and optimism (and, in the case of certain players and coaches, more benefit of the doubt) than I have for them at this point.
I know you're as fed up as I am, so I commend you on your even-handedness, and pose this question:
Is there a particular alcoholic beverage or prescription drug that you can recommend?
(Just kidding.)

@ Zooker:

It WAS an "ugly win"...Worse, they continue making the same decisions, taking us further down the wrong road we're already on. The longer THAT continues, the longer the road back.

Jack Daniel is what I depend on for optimism and patience. Yes, I am fed up. No, I am not normally a patient, understanding person. I just do not want to be seen as a spoiled Gator fan, even though one could argue that we all are. Most of us can remember Gator football before the Era of Good Feelings, and some of us just do not want to go back to mediocrity. Take a look. That is where we are right now. Take a look below. We don't look much better than VANDERBILT. How far we have fallen. The good news is that statistically we are not out of South Carolina's league. The bad news is that this ain't baseball and statistics tend to lose meaning on game day.

2010 VANDERBILT FBS RANKINGS
PASSING YDS 144.1 110th; RUSHING YDS 142.6 76th; PTS FOR 18.3 105th; PTS AGAINST 27.9 79th

2010 FLORIDA FBS RANKINGS
PASSING YDS 190.9 81st; RUSHING YDS 153.3 58th; PTS FOR 28.4 55th; PTS AGAINST 20.3 34th

2010 SOUTH CAROLINA FBS RANKINGS
PASSING YDS 256.0 35th; RUSHING YDS 151.9 62nd; PTS FOR 30.6 44th; PTS AGAINST 19.5 26th

I agree on the other points. JB is not a fiery leader. JB's, Rainey's, and Demp's success all depend on the offensive line giving them 4-5 seconds of blocking. That does not happen unless Burton and Reed can soften up the line of scrimmage by battering the defense a few times. Those two don't care how long the line is held. If JB were a leader, he would find a way. He rolled out a couple times for decent pass-and-catches. Ding! Ding! Ding! If you are scared of sitting in the kill zone behind the line of scrimmage, then get the heck out of there! That's what QBs do behind crappy offensive lines, regardless of the type of offense. Ducking and praying to Allah does not help. It's tough to motivate your team mates when you are curled up in a ball hoping not to get your head taken off--move out of the way. Get mad. Yell at your o-line. Yell at your fullbacks to block that guy. Do something to actively save the offense. Want to see what a quiet quarterback on a passing spread offense looks like? Take a gander at Texas. That is the offense that JB would fit a lot better on, and Texas also sucks. Gilbert and Brantley must be twins. Hmmmm. Perhaps the quarterback needs to be a more active, vocal leader on the offense. Signs of brilliance? Not without help. Signs of growing up next year? Not going to happen.

An ugly win? Definitely. I was okay with the 2nd quarter when we rolled up 21 points. I was okay in the 4th quarter with putting the ball in the hands of the studs who score or pull off big plays--Burton, Hines, Rainey and Demps. Notice that the quarters with more JB did not produce long drives or scores.

And what is going on with the defense? We let Murray carve up our vaunted secondary? South Carolina is going to kill us!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema