• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ex-Gator Kerwin Bell: Is the Time Right to Come Home?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nope. Won't happen, at least not yet. Not the right guy for Urban's Spread--and Brantley's only here for one more year at MOST, IF he stays, IF he's still the starter by the end of next season (ideally, he won't even start in Game #1), and IF Urban WERE to make SOME adjustments to the Gator Spread in order to accommodate Bell AND Brantley's knowledge and skills for just the one year. It might be a great story, a good move, even an INEVITABLE one eventually, but for now, it just isn't at all LIKELY.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
Not as the OC. I think even Kerwin will know that would be a bad mistake. But should Meyer ever vacate the HC job, then I think Kerwin is the right man for the right job. Let Kerwin go to another college or NFL program and further prove hiimself, in the meantime. More experience will only make Kerwin better, but surely not at UF as an assistant coach.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
As a CFL fan, whenever I hear about Kerwin Bell, I can't help but think about this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUICAN3yrVM]YouTube - qb hits himself in nuts after touchdown[/ame]

Funny how one moment sticks out, despite a great Gator career....

G8RB8R

VIP Member
"..spikes the ball and hits me in the you-know-whats!" LMAO I hadn't seen this before. The look on Kerwin's face when he reaches his sideline is priceless!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
"..spikes the ball and hits me in the you-know-whats!" LMAO I hadn't seen this before. The look on Kerwin's face when he reaches his sideline is priceless!

to add insult to injury he was penalize for that even though the opponent pushed him and three officials were there. Are they dumber than those NFL officials?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I have to agree with G8B8R. Let Kerwin Bell gain some experience at Division 1 and come back. People need to realize that the spread option offense is not compatible with any other offense other than option or spread option. It is not a spread. The offense we saw at the Sugar Bowl last year looked like a pass-first spread from the passing attack, but make no mistake, it was a run-first, zone-read, spread option where the defense gave Tebow a "read" that said throw, and throw he did. Brantley could make 500 yards a game with Kerwin Bell as his OC, if and only if Bell understood the Urban Meyer offense and found ways to force the defense into passing situations. We failed to do that with this set of players. In D1 football, that offensive line is more important than it is in lower divisions. Besides, maybe Bell's experience in CFL will help bring a new offensive philosophy like the pass-first spread...and maybe that will come home to Florida years from now after he has refined that philosophy. It won't happen with Urban Meyer as head coach, but it would be nice.

G8RB8R

VIP Member
I have to agree with G8B8R. Let Kerwin Bell gain some experience at Division 1 and come back. People need to realize that the spread option offense is not compatible with any other offense other than option or spread option. It is not a spread. The offense we saw at the Sugar Bowl last year looked like a pass-first spread from the passing attack, but make no mistake, it was a run-first, zone-read, spread option where the defense gave Tebow a "read" that said throw, and throw he did. Brantley could make 500 yards a game with Kerwin Bell as his OC, if and only if Bell understood the Urban Meyer offense and found ways to force the defense into passing situations. We failed to do that with this set of players. In D1 football, that offensive line is more important than it is in lower divisions. Besides, maybe Bell's experience in CFL will help bring a new offensive philosophy like the pass-first spread...and maybe that will come home to Florida years from now after he has refined that philosophy. It won't happen with Urban Meyer as head coach, but it would be nice.

Thanks for saying it better than I ever could! You are right on target!

G8RB8R

VIP Member
BTW, Kerwin is my all-time most favorite Gator. SOS used to hold that position, but fell a few notches when he quit UF. But how can you not love Kerwin? I've met him several times in the distant past, chatted with him, you just can't help but like this guy. I am so happy that he has stayed within the state, and even happier for him that he is doing so well. Here in Jacksonville, during football season, he is on the radio doing the JU sports show in mid week, and you would swear that it was still Kerwin from his UF days.

g8rb8r-albums-my-gator-album-picture295-one-my-personal-kodak-photos-kerwin-bell-autographed-me-back-1986-1987.jpg

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Kerwin Bell is not my favorite, but he is in the top 3. He was the starter when I moved back to the States and was able to catch more games on the radio or TV. Note: I never saw a game on TV until the late 80s because I lived overseas. I must have collected several tons of newspaper clippings showing Wayne Peace, Kerwin Bell, and especially Emmitt Smith. The 90s were great because there were a lot more games to watch on TV and I did not have to listen on the radio. Nowadays, who listens to games on the radio? I still do, because of satellite radio. Come to think of it, I would rank my favorite Gators as such: Emmitt Smith (same home town, same high school), Danny Wuerffel (his high school beat mine 999-0 or something like that), and Kerwin Bell (first one I saw on TV highlights, then followed on World League of American Football), and Wayne Peace (the first player I could recognize by name...my all-time favorite #15...sorry, Tebow).

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
to add insult to injury he was penalize for that even though the opponent pushed him and three officials were there. Are they dumber than those NFL officials?
He spiked the ball basically AT a Bomber, thus the penalty. Yes, the Bomber should have gotten a penalty, too.

That was the first game he played against Winnipeg after being traded from the Bombers to the Argonauts. Lots of emotion, I guess...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think if anything He would be a QB coach. Who better to help a kid be a Gator QB than Bell? Funny I thought he spike the ball at his balls?

G8RB8R

VIP Member
I don't think he has the kind of coaching experience needed to coach this 1A program yet........

True, but...he did not have the experience at the high school level, but turned the program into a winner. He did not have the experience at the small college level, but he built another program up to where it is the conference champion, and with 0000 scholarship players. Besides, didn't Kerwin coach QB's at UF under Spurrier?

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
All good points, I'm sure he's on the list. Yep he was on SOS's staff. Being a Spurrier coaching disciple will carry a lot of weight.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm afraid I believe Escambia94's reasoning in this matter still applies: it is still a few years early to hand Kerwin the keys to the Gator castle. Let him make one or two more stops on the way up while he refines his own approach and accrues around him a group of loyal, like-thinking associates who are on the same page, so that when he DOES get here they ALL hit the ground running. That's what we are COUNTING on being the case with whichever hot "young visionary" we bring in this time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema