• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chris Rainey's 83-yarder: "I saw the biggest hole I’ve seen in my life"

travisduncan

Gator Fan

When you watch something amazing happen you often don't fully appreciate it at the moment it occurs. You see highlights, you see the game on ESPN Classic, you think back to where you were when it happened and then you realize just how unique a certain play or player really was.

Chris Rainey made two incredible players Saturday afternoon. His blocked punt was the fifth of his career (a school record) and came at a key point in the game, giving the Gators enough momentum to never let Tennessee feel like they had a chance.

Then at the 8:08 mark in the third quarter he made a highlight for the ages. A three-yard dunk from John Brantley turned into a touchdown when a young UT defense forgot to keep a man on jersey No. 1.

Rainey took it 83-yards for six in what looked like an olympic sprint he won easily. (Watch Video)

"Seeing John Brantley run out of the pocket, I saw him look at me, I turned, got the ball and I saw the biggest hole I’ve seen in my life and I took off," Rainey explained.

A year ago many people were calling for Urban Meyer to end Rainey's football career, at least in respects to him being a Florida Gator. Since then Rainey from all accounts has worked hard to make changes off the field, and it's helping him on the field.

Brantley concurs, after the game he told reporters, "Rainey is getting better each week. He has really grown up and bought into everything. He deserves everything that he’s been doing right now."

The 83-yard receiving TD was the longest in UF history by a UF running back and marked the longest play from scrimmage of Rainey’s career.

And when historical feats happen on the playing field, you tend to ask where will Rainey rank among the greatest Gators?

To begin his collegiate career his star was in the shadow of the some big time Gators, such as Tim Tebow and others. But his impact both as a sophomore and then his comeback at the end of last season and so far 2011 has made him a legendary Gator. Let's see how he finishes up his senior season but already he is a Gator that fans will never forget.

Saturday against the Vols, Rainey racked up 108 yards rushing and 104 yards receiving, becoming just the second player in the country to tally a 100-yard rushing and receiving performance (Orwin Smith, Georgia Tech, also this afternoon). The last Florida player to achieve the performance was Percy Harvin (2007 vs. Vandy: 113 rush, 110 rec)

Rainey also became just the fourth running back in school history to tally a 100-yard receiving game with his 104 against Tennessee, the last since John L. Williams (103 yds) against Georgia Nov. 9, 1985.

And while we are at it, why not throw his name out there in the Heisman discussion? We can. But for the big boys of the national media to begin doing that the Gators will need to become BCS contenders. They could be. We'll see.

Muschamp knows his first year as a head coach has been blessed with tremendous football talent.

"That credit goes to Urban Meyer and his staff – he did a great job recruiting," Muschamp said after the win.

But he explained, "These aren’t Urban’s players, they’re Florida’s players – that’s a big credit to him, though. To be able to have guys like Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps, when you put the ball in their hands, they can score any time. With Charlie’s [Weis] system we evaluate our talent and evaluate what we can do."

Credit does need to go to Charlie Weis who consistently disguises the throws to the flats so effectively. Often the other team will know it's coming, but as was the case on Rainey's 83-yarder, some players will miss it-that leaves Rainey open and if he has space it's a matter of speed and position on the field and most of the time it ends up as six points for the Gators.

Muschamp added, "Charlie is looking at situations and thinking about how we can create plays in space for him. That’s more than anything to me. Charlie does a great job of that. He comes to me midweek and says I think we’re going to create these situations. We just need to win those one-on-ones. Football is all situational. It’s just a game of matchups."

Let's see if Kentucky can stop it next Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Two completely different people, completely different jobs and reasons for what I want to say--except that they are now both thoroughly, eternally and unquestionably Florida Gators. Here's that statement that applies equally to both:
I LOVE THIS GUY--I AM SO GLAD HE IS A GATOR AND WILL BE A PART OF GATOR LORE AND HISTORY FOREVER!

(...and in response to your last concern above, Lexington will be a good place for our debut on-the-road this season: a big win and a chance to hunker down, hang together and take care of business in a hostile environment...as long as this team stays focused, it wins the games it is "SUPPOSED" to this season--and future ones, under THIS coaching staff; it is those 2 or 3 others that is still "to be determined")

robdog

Gator Fan
Was a hell of a run and A LOT of people did their jobs right. I have to say, as the season is progressing, I am getting more and more confident about our team and our chances. We still have some BIG challenges ahead of us but we could SHOCK the WORLD!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
We have the talent to shock the world, we have the coaching, we sometimes have the team chemistry. I really think it will come down to injuries. Our secondary will only get better, just as our new 4-3/3-4 scheme will get better. Our offensive line, wide receivers, running backs, and secondary are one injury or so away from a rough season.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I think there is no limit to Rainey's potential. I'm not going to jump on the Heisman train right now, but in no way am I discounting it as a possibility.

Now, I think it will take a Heisman run for Rainey to be considered a legend. But, I think if he continues his great play he will still be remembered by Gator fans. Just look at what Ahmad Black did last year. He was the shining star in a very damp dark crawl space. It's not so damp and dark this year, but Rainey is burning brighter.

But what impresses me the most about Rainey is the passion he plays with. He wants it more than anybody on the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema