• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Analyzing Florida Gator Strengths Against Alabama Crimson Tide Strengths

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I know this chart below did not come out well, but it is an analysis of the Tide strengths and weaknesses versus Gator strengths and weaknesses based on rankings against the other NCAA teams. In summary what is shows is that our overall offense, ranked at #15, is better statistically than Alabama's overall offense, ranked at #21, but does not match up well against the Alabama overall defense, ranked #2. Our overall defense, ranked at #4, is pretty close to Alabama's overall defense at #2, but should be able to handle the Alabama offense.

I like our chances stopping their defense. I like our chances stopping their offense. I like our chances on defense period. On offense, our best strength is running. Our passing offense on paper can hurt their passing defense more than their passing offense can hurt our passing defense.

I am not going to be definitive in saying we are going to beat Alabama, but I will say they are beatable, and I like our chances in beating Alabama at home better than our chances at beating LSU in Death Valley.
20111001-Gators-Tide-SAW.png

Escambia94

Me too, but I don't have to strap on pads and go up against those guys. I feel rather safe sitting in my underwear analyzing numbers. I am more scared of LSU than Alabama. Historically we get our teeth kicked in by Auburn no matter how weak they are. I don't want to lose all three of those, and I certainly do not want to lose to Georgia, so I am going to have to pick on Alabama as my upset special for the season.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I too think we have a better chance against Bama as opposed to LSU.

Interesting data. Their passing game doesn't worry me much, other than Maze who is a good WR.

It's the power rushing game that scares me. Bama is the best at it, and with Urban Meyer recruiting players for speed and not strength, teams have been able to run against us all day. This year seems different though. Our defense seems a lot stronger. Let's hope we can shut them down.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We will beat "the Auburn Curse" this year, though it will be easier if we'll have won at least ONE of the two previous games, from a psychological standpoint--though that bye-week will help, regardless. I don't know why I feel like LSU is the one we have a better chance of winning, but I do...they can blow anyone out, but they always seem capable of laying an egg under Les Miles, even at Death Valley...and if we lose to the Tide, we'll really go in there in a "nothing to lose" frame-of-mind.

mjfan23

VIP Member
Im not nearly as worried about LSU as bama. Maybe im wrong, but im not sold on LSU's offense and LSU did just give up 400 yards passing to WVU. ALthought LSU is very tough to run on, I guess time will tell.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Im not nearly as worried about LSU as bama. Maybe im wrong, but im not sold on LSU's offense and LSU did just give up 400 yards passing to WVU. ALthought LSU is very tough to run on, I guess time will tell.
That pretty well sums up how I feel; they can be exploited. Bama's a taller order, I fear. At the Swamp, yeah that's a plus, but can our offense do everything it HAS to in order to give OUR "D" a chance to do its thing? I know, it's usually the other way around, but not this time...

Escambia94

Of course WVU threw for 400 yards on LSU--they do that to opposing teams. We cannot and will not throw for 400 yards on LSU. I bet we do not break 220 on LSU, maybe even less. At HOME we have the #65 rated passing offense against the likes of UAB and FAU. At HOME. At HOME we have the #33 rushing offense. At HOME! What happens when we go into Death Valley to face the Bengal Tigers?
Even though I walk through (LSU's Valley of Death), I will fear no (SEC team), for you are with me; (Demps and Rainey), they comfort me.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Of course WVU threw for 400 yards on LSU--they do that to opposing teams. We cannot and will not throw for 400 yards on LSU. I bet we do not break 220 on LSU, maybe even less. At HOME we have the #65 rated passing offense against the likes of UAB and FAU. At HOME. At HOME we have the #33 rushing offense. At HOME! What happens when we go into Death Valley to face the Bengal Tigers?
(I gave it a "Like" due to the quote...it's not that I didn't appreciate the actual analysis here, but I don't have to "like" it, even if it's the truth. Those are some hard and bleak FACTS. On the other hand, statistics CAN be misleading.
On the OTHER other hand, as my dad used to say:
"Never let the facts stand in the way of a good story."
This comes down to how I FEEL. (I may start a thread that asks us ALL to approach these next few games, at least for a moment, from how each of you FEELS about the outcomes, as opposed to any fact- and/or analytically-based view.)
I feel like we will have a very tough time beating Alabama, may lose in a game that's close until the 4th qrtr.
I also feel that we will somehow go into Death Valley and steal one, maybe even have something "bounce" our way (instead of Miles') for a change.
I admit it: neither of these have ANYTHING to do with logic. The moment I start considering them it starts to get cloudy, so for THIS I'm just throwing 'em out there.

Bama Trey

Gator Fan
LSU fans are watching this game and hoping both teams beat the shiznit out of each other.

Tapatalk makes me look incoherent

Escambia94

If this is what we get at home against Alabama, we are screwed going into Death Valley. Our strengths are light years behind Alabama and LSU.

TraderGator

Gator Fan
No sir . . . I'm not looking forward to Death Valley either. I don't know about being light years behind. Especially the Bammers. We're clearly behind, but I think LSU has a once-a-decade team that just jelled. Add a couple of pieces (like a big, bad RB and a QB who Coach Weis hand-picks) and I think we can at least play with, or beat, both teams.

I'm not so sure we would've lost at LSU this year if we had that RB and Brantley didn't go down.

Maybe I'm just wearing my orange and blue glasses . . . LOL!

If this is what we get at home against Alabama, we are screwed going into Death Valley. Our strengths are light years behind Alabama and LSU.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No sir . . . I'm not looking forward to Death Valley either. I don't know about being light years behind. Especially the Bammers. We're clearly behind, but I think LSU has a once-a-decade team that just jelled. Add a couple of pieces (like a big, bad RB and a QB who Coach Weis hand-picks) and I think we can at least play with, or beat, both teams.

I'm not so sure we would've lost at LSU this year if we had that RB and Brantley didn't go down.

Maybe I'm just wearing my orange and blue glasses . . . LOL!
Oh, I agree totally. In fact, I had the feeling we had a decent chance of beating LSU as is--WITH #12, of course. I ALWAYS thought it was Bama's nasty ground-power, on BOTH sides of the ball, that matched up badly for us. Like you say, things have been "breaking LSU's way, and that can be unreliable, can change in a heartbeat. As it is, though, they caught another break, courtesy of Alabama and our injuries at quarterback.
Coach Boom and staff are on their WAY to building a team that is bigger at certain skill positions and TOUGHER all around--with that "big, bad RB and a QB who Coach Weis hand-picks", such a team will be ready to take on ANYONE.
(BTW, there were FOUR such 5-star stud-RBs, prospective recruits, in the Swamp as guests of the UF Athletic Dept. on Sat. against the Tide--and the coaches are hoping to bring in two of them; as I've noted elsewhere, while you can't be sure which way any particular decision will ultimately fall, it couldn't help to have them see us 1st getting drubbed by a team that is ALSO vying for their commitment)

TraderGator

Gator Fan
That's good news! We've won 2 National Championships that are fresh on their minds and some kids would want to come in and have a chance to start their freshman year . . . be the next Lattimore. If we get even 1 of them that'll be great.

* * * (BTW, there were FOUR such 5-star stud-RBs, prospective recruits, in the Swamp as guests of the UF Athletic Dept. on Sat. against the Tide--and the coaches are hoping to bring in two of them; as I've noted elsewhere, while you can't be sure which way any particular decision will ultimately fall, it couldn't help to have them see us 1st getting drubbed by a team that is ALSO vying for their commitment)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's good news! We've won 2 National Championships that are fresh on their minds and some kids would want to come in and have a chance to start their freshman year . . . be the next Lattimore. If we get even 1 of them that'll be great.
Yep--we're headed "big and bad", and we're GETTING the other pieces we need along those lines. We've got recent commitments from the nations No.1 big, fast and tough TE, and some much-sought-after linemen. Now to get an every-down "unstoppable-force" at RB...those 4 aren't even the only ones we're in touch with: as I said, my understanding is that our intention is to get TWO from this RB-heavy nationally class, and it will come down to the first 2 "really good ones" who want to be Gators.
(Oh yeah, and the word is that there won't be any hesitance to give them shots as freshmen.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema