• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

An asterisk for Tebow's touchdown record?

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
Should there be an asterisk attached when Tim Tebow breaks Herschel Walker's SEC record for rushing touchdowns?

They each have 49, and Tebow could break the record, fittingly, this Saturday against Georgia.

Bill King, who blogs on the Bulldogs for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, isn't ready to concede the record to Tebow just yet, and here's why: Walker scored five more rushing touchdowns in three Sugar Bowl games from 1981-83 that he didn't get credit for.

At the time (and I've never understood why), but bowl statistics didn't count. The first year that bowl statistics were counted by the NCAA was 2002.

Also, Walker played in just 36 total games (33 not counting the bowls). He left Georgia following his junior season, and teams didn't play as many games in those days. Tebow has already played in 48 games, although he wasn't a starter until his sophomore season.

These arguments are a lot like the ones you hear concerning baseball records. Roger Maris played in more games than Babe Ruth the year he hit 61 home runs and broke Ruth's record. There was a time when baseball actually had two different home run records depending on the number of games played in a season. But not anymore.

It's always difficult to compare players from different eras. The bottom line is that Walker and Tebow are both two of the best players to ever play in the SEC.

I agree that Walker deserves those five touchdowns he scored in bowl games. But the fact that he left school early to go to the USFL and didn't play his senior season should have no bearing on the record. That was Walker's decision.
ORIGIN....

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
No asterisk. This is a slippery slope argument. Why not put an asterisk next to all the records that have caveats. This guy needed 162 games to break the HR record. They didn't track sacks in those days. They only played 12 NFL games. Cars have restrictor plates now. There is a plethora of reasons to asterisk a record. Leave the caveats to the trivia masters.

Edit: Records are not necessarily broken by "the best" player--they are broken by the person capable of meeting the criteria for the record. Tebow breaking the record does not make him better than Walker. Don't take my comment as a dig at Herschel Walker or as man-love for Tebow. I have the utmost respect for both.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
no i believe there should be an asterisk...."As a quarterback"

There is no law definitizing the running back as the primary runner. As a matter of fact, there have been times in history when it was estimated that just over 50% of high school or college football programs were running options, triple options, and veers with the QB as the primary runner. It goes in cycles. I still don't see a need for the asterisk.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
There is no law definitizing the running back as the primary runner. As a matter of fact, there have been times in history when it was estimated that just over 50% of high school or college football programs were running options, triple options, and veers with the QB as the primary runner. It goes in cycles. I still don't see a need for the asterisk.

Was it a staple in the SEC until Spurrier brought his fun and gun to G-Ville and it's still around with GT.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema