• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A Steve Spurrier gaffe

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I don't see what's so inflammatory about what he said. And if any former Gator has the right to talk about the program, it's Spurrier.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I don't see what's so inflammatory about what he said. And if any former Gator has the right to talk about the program, it's Spurrier.

SOS should be more concerned with South Carolina and not be meddling in UF's business right now - and shame on him for shooting his mouth off and feeding the rumor-mongers.

I don't care WHO SOS is, he doesn't have the right to do that - he's not God Almighty, in spite of what some Gator fans think.

O-Town I agree with you 100%. This pisses me off that Spurrier would even bring this up. How dare he talk about Urban leaving suddenly when he did just that. On top of him leaving out of no where he left us with a bad group of players and coaches. At least if Urban left right now we would still have a good core of players and staff. Spurrier as no right to talk about Urban in any aspect. He needs to leave us alone and worry about his people up there and be scared to play Florida every year.

I disagree here. Why should Spurrier have the right to talk bad about the program? Is it because he won a national championship? So what Meyer has won 2. Again I agree with O-Town here he is not God Almighty despite what most Gator fans think. He left us high and dry and I personally don't like him for it. He is coaching in the SEC and he is now a enemy, he is not one of us.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
We're talking about the person who won UF's first Heisman and turned a good program into the elite juggernaut that it is today. I think he's earned the right to express his opinion on the program.

Why all the hate on Spurrier for leaving? He had to deal with FSU taking cheap shots at his players while the people above Spurrier refused to back him up when FSU's AD took shots at Spurrier. Maybe if UF's administration actually backed up Spurrier, he'd have stayed.

We're talking about the person who won UF's first Heisman and turned a good program into the elite juggernaut that it is today. I think he's earned the right to express his opinion on the program.

Why all the hate on Spurrier for leaving? He had to deal with FSU taking cheap shots at his players while the people above Spurrier refused to back him up when FSU's AD took shots at Spurrier. Maybe if UF's administration actually backed up Spurrier, he'd have stayed.

He would have left no matter what happened. Yea he won the Hesiman and the first Championship and turned the program into a force, but look at what Meyer has done with it. He has won 2 National Championships, coached a Hesiman winner and turned Florida into a even bigger force than Spurrier. Plus the fact that he coaches another SEC team is even more reason why he shouldn't talk bad about Florida's program.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

That's beside the point - not everything is so rosy up there in Columbia, and he has issues he needs to be addressing. Even so, just because SOS bailed on UF when he did doesn't necessarily mean that Meyer will do that as well - amd I don't care HOW many Heismans he's won - he has no right to stir the pot as far as UF is concerned. If he's peeved about the past, he needs to get over it.

His ego and his big mouth are his own worst enemy - that hasn't changed.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
He would have left no matter what happened. Yea he won the Hesiman and the first Championship and turned the program into a force, but look at what Meyer has done with it. He has won 2 National Championships, coached a Hesiman winner and turned Florida into a even bigger force than Spurrier. Plus the fact that he coaches another SEC team is even more reason why he shouldn't talk bad about Florida's program.

You're ignoring the fact that Foley should get a lot of blame for not backing Spurrier up after Dockett intentionally injured Graham and FSU's AD poked fun at Spurrier for calling out FSU. Admit it, Foley messed up. Spurrier just didn't magically decide to leave and the blame shouldn't fall entirely on him. There's no guarantee that Spurrier would have left had Foley actually stepped up to the plate.

Why do you keep elevating Meyer at Spurrier's expense? Both were great coaches for this program, and both achieved great success. Meyer might be the better pure football coach, but one wasn't necessarily "better" than the other as far as how much they helped UF football become what it is today. And you talk about the things that Spurrier did like they pale in comparison to Meyer's accolades when they were just as good for their time.

woodsmit

Gator Fan
And your upset because? Article seems pretty tame, even insightfull.

Spurrier didn't say Meyer was going anywhere.

At the end of every season, there will be programs looking to replace coaches.

Accordingly, there will always be that sense of dread amongst the "haves" that the "have-nots" are going to entice their guy away. It makes for great theatre, water cooler talk and blog posts.

I think coaches like challenges. If they get offered a new challenge they may take it. Will Coach Meyer be a Gator until he retires? Who knows? Personally, I hope so. But if he were to leave tommorow, I would still appreciate what he has accomplished for the program and wish him success.

Steve Spurrier put Florida Football on the national stage, both as an athlete and a coach. He is a GATOR, and will always be. And like any alum/fan, he is entitled to his opinion.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
That's beside the point - not everything is so rosy up there in Columbia, and he has issues he needs to be addressing. Even so, just because SOS bailed on UF when he did doesn't necessarily mean that Meyer will do that as well - amd I don't care HOW many Heismans he's won - he has no right to stir the pot as far as UF is concerned. If he's peeved about the past, he needs to get over it.

His ego and his big mouth are his own worst enemy - that hasn't changed.

He was asked a question and he answered it honestly. Blame the writer for asking him that question. I'd rather him say the truth instead of lie or give a politically correct answer.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
And your upset because? Article seems pretty tame, even insightfull.

Spurrier didn't say Meyer was going anywhere.

At the end of every season, there will be programs looking to replace coaches.

Accordingly, there will always be that sense of dread amongst the "haves" that the "have-nots" are going to entice their guy away. It makes for great theatre, water cooler talk and blog posts.

I think coaches like challenges. If they get offered a new challenge they may take it. Will Coach Meyer be a Gator until he retires? Who knows? Personally, I hope so. But if he were to leave tommorow, I would still appreciate what he has accomplished for the program and wish him success.

Steve Spurrier put Florida Football on the national stage, both as an athlete and a coach. He is a GATOR, and will always be. And like any alum/fan, he is entitled to his opinion.

I'm upset because SOS was shooting his mouth off - as you and I both know, he's rather nonchalant with his comments at times and as I see it often doesn't think before he speaks. He makes himself look ridiculous.

WHY stoop to the level of rumor-rongers and keep thos crap going? Meyer has recently said that he plans to be here forawhile, loves being in Florida and is happy in Gainesville - why is SOS reading too much into things?

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I agree and disagree with everyone here (if that makes any sense.)

Spurrier should not be talking about another coach leavinghis current position, even if it is at his former school. He especially should not be talking about another coach within his own conference, let alone division.

However, to just brush aside Spurrier's legacy at UF because of what Meyer has done is pretty damn ridiculous. Spurrier paved the way for Meyer. He made the Florida football program a destination that would attract Meyer. Simply put, without Spuurier, there is no Meyer.

True, Urban is a better coach than Spurrier is now without question. But it's a different game. Drop Meyer into the SEC in the early 90's and Spurrier would have handed his own ass to him on a platter. SOS was way ahead of his time, and unfortunately he is now beyond his prime.

I would say that Urban Meyer is a better coach right now than Spurrier, Bowden, Paterno and nearly every other "legendary"coach. But all those coaches paved the way for the Meyers, the Carrolls and the Stoops of today's college football landscape.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Spurrier should not be talking about another coach leavinghis current position, even if it is at his former school. He especially should not be talking about another coach within his own conference, let alone division.

This is exactly my point. I don't care WHO he is, SOS needs to mind his own business.

I agree and disagree with everyone here (if that makes any sense.)

However, to just brush aside Spurrier's legacy at UF because of what Meyer has done is pretty damn ridiculous. Spurrier paved the way for Meyer. He made the Florida football program a destination that would attract Meyer. Simply put, without Spuurier, there is no Meyer.

True, Urban is a better coach than Spurrier is now without question. But it's a different game. Drop Meyer into the SEC in the early 90's and Spurrier would have handed his own ass to him on a platter. SOS was way ahead of his time, and unfortunately he is now beyond his prime.

I would say that Urban Meyer is a better coach right now than Spurrier, Bowden, Paterno and nearly every other "legendary"coach. But all those coaches paved the way for the Meyers, the Carrolls and the Stoops of today's college football landscape.

This is all very well said. I guess I got carried away downing Spurrier. We all loved him when he was here and he did great things for this program. I guess I just don't understand how he can say things about Meyer like that. Florida is his Alma Mater and a place that he made into a powerful program in college football. Meyer has kept that power going and Spurrier should be talking good about the program not Meyer leaving it. Sorry if I stepped on some toes that was not my intentions.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
This is all very well said. I guess I got carried away downing Spurrier. We all loved him when he was here and he did great things for this program. I guess I just don't understand how he can say things about Meyer like that. Florida is his Alma Mater and a place that he made into a powerful program in college football. Meyer has kept that power going and Spurrier should be talking good about the program not Meyer leaving it. Sorry if I stepped on some toes that was not my intentions.

No need to be sorry. I'm just glad that we can even have this debate, as not all schools can.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I didn't want to wade in on this 'cause I didn't want to end up over my head. I decided to give it a shot anyway. First though I have to say that this has been an enjoyable thread to read, thanks for posting the link O-t G. I listened to the entire interview and there were more times that I was smiling and shaking my head at classic "Spurrierisms" (I do miss that), than I was frowning. As we all know "journalists" love him because he is good copy. He covered a lot of topics in that hour, admittedly UM was a frequent one that was brought up by Finebaum and the callers (those 'bama fans crack me up). His comments about our favorite coach to hate, "lame", are worth a listen. I am not an expert at analyzing the inflections in someones comments but you could close your eyes and see that SOS smirk as he talked about the viles coach. I was disappointed to here the nd comments but he also said that he thought that it was Urban's dream job growing up and he didn't know personally if he still thought that. I don't think I would have cared as much if I had not already read Fowler's take on Spurrier's HOUR and of course our comments here. The point I'm trying to get to is that Fowler committed the same thing that we all complain about when it comes to the bloggers in that they take something and run with it because it will get a rise out of us. Had he been a true journalist he would have reported on the entire content from the HOUR and not just the few minutes that the Ol' Ball Coach dwelled on "the best coach in the country".(his words not mine, but then I've always agreed w/ SOS on most things)

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I agree with what this poster over at the GSMB said:

"Whatever Spurrier says can be taken with a grain of salt. He is worried that South Carolina will never catch the UF. That is understandable so why not create rumors that Coach Meyer is leaving for Notre Dame. Makes sense to me I guess. But always remember folks, Steve Spurrier may be a Gator but he left us high and dry and we got stuck with Coach Zook for some real down years. He should have given Jeremy Foley a heads up before bolting to the NFL. But he didn't so we suffered because of it. I don't trust him and never will again, period. Coach Meyer is the man! He probably will be here for some time and so be it. Forget about what Spurrier says. He had his chance and left us in the dust so I don't care one bit what he thinks.
Sorry, but that is the way it is....."

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I agree with what this poster over at the GSMB said:

"Whatever Spurrier says can be taken with a grain of salt. He is worried that South Carolina will never catch the UF. "

I'm sorry but I stopped reading the post after this sentence. It sounds like SOS is worried his guys are trying to avoid a VD....

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I'm sorry but I stopped reading the post after this sentence. It sounds like SOS is worried his guys are trying to avoid a VD....

I know a lot of these reporters and announcers like to throw curveballs on purpose (like Finebaum obviously did), but on the other hand SOS should have thought before he answered that question - I don't think he's that naive that he hasn't heard stuff spread all over these stupid rumor mills.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema