• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"A Parade of Idiots" (or, "Aw Crap, Here We Go Again...")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, it's the silly season, and I guess we should be used to this sort of thing--young men to whom "commitment means NOTHING", generally, and losing promising receivers, specifically.
I mean, Quinton Powell (LB--Daytona Mainland) was neither a shock NOR a big deal: I'd heard about him whining to friends, highschool coaches and any local reporter-who-asked about every linebacker we talked to. The latest nutso flip-flopper, 4-start WR out of Peach Tree Ga., Demarcus Robinson was another matter: First he makes a big production of finally decommitting from Clemson after claiming all this interest in US throughout the fall, announcing his committing to UF, "I'm a Gator", etc. all over the internet the day after his official visit in G-ville, even fills out the paperwork, signs and submits to early enrollment in January--and it all lasted exactly ONE WEEK.
Now: It ISN'T that I'm so broken up about losing this kid--I mean, you could say that we just caught a BREAK: we learned about, and lost, a "4-star clown" who isn't fit to GET a shot with us, so clearly incapable of EVER motivating himself to care enough about ANYTHING BUT HIMSELF to do things "The Florida Way"...we are too close to our upper limit to waste a place on another one of these self-obsessed loser-fools who won't even be able to cut it IN PRACTICE. Would we take Debose again, knowing what we know now?--and he was by all "signs of physical talent", and according to his "reel", "The next Percy Harvin, blah blah blah" (...too bad he can't even bother to do much more than sulk his way through practice for the last, what is it, 3 years or 4? Was there a redshirt year in there? Who cares? He even stopped wanting to run back punts somewhere along the way--the only thing he ever did for us, and won't even touch them now...Another brilliant, "listen-to-the-experts Urban" Meyer-hire).
No, I'm sure that Coach Boom in some corner of his brain is relieved, maybe even slightly satisfied, at the thought that Joker Phillips (who helped to finally "flip" Robinson) is thinking, "Don't get blinded by the talent of these kids--they're ALL 'talented' at this level...I'm not in Kentucky anymore!". The kid wouldn't have made it here: At Florida now ya gotta be good AND ya gotta really WANT it--and the latter is the more important of the two (though you better have a bunch of the first, 'cause everyone else here does--that's just the way it is).
Still, we NEED receivers, tall, rangy fast ones who go up to get it--and actually CATCH it if it's on their hands. Demarcus looked to be one of those, so the coaches can be excused for "wishin' and hopin'" and plannin' to flip him, get him IN here since he showed so much INTEREST in being a Gator--THAT was a good sign, a point in his favor, from their hopeful POV. We might well have never learned in time about his flaky inconsistency had he NOT flipped back so quickly...and that's the problem with this whole process nowadays: Like everyone else, our greatest needs and their apparent physical skills, concentrated in a solution of shrinking time, form a dangerous chemistry that hides flaws, produces questionable judgement--and possibly poor choices.
Meanwhile, we may well have dodged a bullet, but I suppose our short-lived "#1 recruiting class" just took a hit--after just a few days, when this squirrelly freakout-case started jumping back and forth and, it could be argued, did us a favor when the roulette ball landed on "red" rather than "orange and blue". Maybe, just maybe, we should
(1) take it easy, sit back, reserve judgement, excitement, worry AND disappointment and JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS, along-the-way ALL-the-way to National Signing Day (NSD), and
(2) trust our Coach and his staff--AND the good fortune that has somehow worked out our way: from "Who's our next Coach?"--we got CHOMP!--through "What the HELL do we do about Weis?"--we got PEASE!-- and so on down to things like, oh, "Whew!--We were so caught up in getting skilled guys in at WR that we almost ended up WASTING one of our last valuable spots on another self-centered, inconsistent and unreliable FLAKE!"
So: Back down into the People-mines with pick and shovel. Lookin' for a vein of 5-star WRs...
"What's left up there on the Big Board, boys?"

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Step back from the ledge. There are always 2-5 flips between 1 Dec and NSD. USC, Tx, LSU, and others just had as many flips of 4* and 5* kids. Wait for things to settle down. That is what I mean by "not getting emotionally attached".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Step back from the ledge. There are always 2-5 flips between 1 Dec and NSD. USC, Tx, LSU, and others just had as many flips of 4* and 5* kids. Wait for things to settle down. That is what I mean by "not getting emotionally attached".
Oh, that's definitely my point here, in (of course) a round about way--I only focus on the Robinson quick-double-flip because it is such an extreme example that captures the dangers AND absurdities of this whole process--INCLUDING the way everyone can get caught up in it. Did that not come across? Am I now completely failing to express myself in a clear and precise manner? I mean, it WAS meant to be steeped in a kind of cynical, angry humor--but HUMOR, nonetheless. No go? Um, I AM generally disgusted with the whole "life as an ongoing oxymoron"-thing that brings us things like "commitments" that are anything BUT. I AM trying to keep it all in perspective, though...This was an effort at that--a completely wasted one, apparently, but that WAS the idea here--honest. In fact, here's what's REALLY weird: The last paragraph, that was (to me) the OPTIMISTIC part.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Confused kid who is easily swayed. I'd rather have an unranked player that just wants to be a Gator, like the legendary Chris Doering who was a walk-on receiver.
Couldn't agree more, MG--and here's hoping that THIS Coach and staff is likely to bring more rather than less of just that approach (...I think we've got just that kind-of-guy in Chomp..."Natural" or not, he's looking for HEART--part of what he calls "the Florida Way").
(Btw, MariettaGator, happy you found us here at GE...You kinda walked into a typical ongoing-discussion-across-multiple-threads--and you couldn't BE more welcome. Right-ON poster/stamp/avatar, too...)

Escambia94

Most of the reports are that the kid's high school coach swayed him away from UF despite the fact that he enjoyed his visit. After the visit, Clemson sent recruiters to his house and sealed the deal. That is easy to do when you are closer to the kid's house and it is almost the end of open contact season. Open contact season ends this weekend. Expect a couple additions and subtractions this weekend, then a lull until next open season after the bowl games.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, though--are we gonna take another "run" at him then (ie after the Bowl season), before NSD? We really need at LEAST one more potential "can't stop him" WR-prospect, but I'd just as soon we turned our attentions elsewhere in this regard, and (as I said in response above to MariettaGator above) I would not be surprised or disappointed if this is our Head Coach's view as well...I know it is his overall attitude, but of course he's a realist as well: The question therefore becomes, "Do we take another shot at him anyway--and then let him sink-or-swim, with a slap-in-the-face/dose-of-reality 'MEET MR. DILLMAN' to start him down a New Road?"...In other words, find out LATER whether he can actually hack it, 'cause that's how the game is played at the highest talent-levels.
See, I like to think somehow Coach Boom could have seen a Debose for what he was, by just these sorts of "signs" (I mean, it's not exactly CIA-level decoding required here), and (unlike Meyer--and in many ways, Chomp is the ANTI-Meyer) wouldn't have even WANTED him on his team, let alone chasing a kid after something like this. Or am I dreaming?

Escambia94

Robinson is an Early Enrollee, which is why coaches can even talk to him now. The EEs typically start signing paperwork this week before school closes until January. EEs usually have a 1100 to 1200 SAT, which makes Academic Clearing House an easy process. Lower SAT scores result in what we saw last spring with a player missing the cutoff to fix GPA and SAT scores. In other words, no more Robinson. The academics between Clemson and UF are similar, so the only thing that could have swayed his decision is people--coaches, mom, dad, etc.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Robinson is an Early Enrollee, which is why coaches can even talk to him now. The EEs typically start signing paperwork this week before school closes until January. EEs usually have a 1100 to 1200 SAT, which makes Academic Clearing House an easy process. Lower SAT scores result in what we saw last spring with a player missing the cutoff to fix GPA and SAT scores. In other words, no more Robinson. The academics between Clemson and UF are similar, so the only thing that could have swayed his decision is people--coaches, mom, dad, etc.
Good idea to recall and to keep all these points in mind...Still, I've seen this one as a "bad sign" as far as this kid's emotional stability and sense of personal honor and/OR confidence all along here--and (Sorry, BUT) I believe all signs by now show him "coming up wanting".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The wonderful world of College Football recruiting. Just because your number one in recruiting doesn't mean much until the games are played and the players play.
True--but we'll examine and talk about it nonetheless: Partly because so much IS undeniably riding on it (though your observation is true, access and proper/fortunate choices WILL determine a great deal of our potential for success or failure), and just as much because, for much of the next few months, we'll have little else to focus on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema