• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

26 Days to Gator Football – #26 Jarvis Williams (’83-’87)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Jarvis Eric Williams of Palatka, Florida played hard hitting defensive back for head coach Galen Hall from 1984 to 1987, where he was a key contributor on two of theGator’s best seasons, the 9-1-1 ’84 and ’85 seasons. Jarvis is remembered for a slobberknocking hit on ‘Cane receiver Melvin Bratton, rendering him unconscious. When he wasn’t knocking out receivers he was leading the team with ten career interceptions, and led the team in tackles (77) and punt returns (20 for 222 yards). For his hard hitting efforts, Jarvis was named 1st team All-SEC and All-American. He was inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Association as a Gator Great in 2001, seven years after retiring from the NFL.

Check out this footage of "the Hit". Note: Jarvis was only 6-0, 191 pounds.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I remember "The Hit". Whole stadium went "Ooooohhh!!!"--even before they realized Bratten was down'n'OUT. Every once in a while we get one of these from a Gator defender, a "Game Changer"; this one, coming early in the year (as the regular UF/Miami game always was, when it was an every-year confrontation...I'm not sure, but that one may have been the last; the UF Regents had voted to discontinue the home-and-home match-ups early in the 80's for a number of reasons, mostly having to do with their team's and especially their fans' classless, thug-like behavior...a lot could be said on THAT, but not here) was practically a "Season Changer": it set the tone for what kind of team we were and what came after (which included for the first time putting us at NO. 1 nationally relatively late in the year, according to the AP, UP and USA Today--FINALLY!: I kept copies of all 3 taped to my refrigerator in Hollywood for YEARS afterward).
Speaking of hitting, did you get a chance to watch any of the ESPN coverage of today's (Mon. Aug. 8) Gator practice, with Jesse Palmer on-hand as host, narrator and interviewer? I recorded the bulk of it and just got finished watching it; failing that, you can at least get a taste of it from today's "College Football Live", which of course runs repeatedly at various times on various ESPN outlets throughout the day and into the wee hours Tuesday. The best part of it was all the coaches getting "down and dirty", calling plays and drills, yelling at mistakes, complimenting things done right, especially and above all Coach Boom himself in the middle of it all, smackin' 'em on the pads, screaming out formations, plays and shifts, and ALWAYS COACHING. There was intensity and focus out there, enthusiasm and tension depending on the drill--it even got testy at times, which Coach only turned into another chance to teach.
It's early, but already I see a distinct change in tone and attitude from last year. There's a positivity, quiet confidence and solidarity--and not just on the field: it was there in the style and content of the individual players that were interviewed by Palmer. That "split" in the locker room you've talked about E-, the one that burst into public almost immediately when either veteran or freshmen players spoke last year, really does appear to be long gone. These guys know they've got work to do and a ways to go, but they're determined to get it done, and do it together as a team.
That's how I'd sum up my overall impression: From coaches to players, top to bottom, these guys mean business.

Escambia94

I watched from across the bar, but could not hear. What was Urban Meyer saying.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He was (of course) completely positive and supportive of the University, the program, the steps "Coach Muschamp and his outstanding new staff" have taken, expressing his confidence in and giving all credit to their ongoing efforts to continue the tradition of winning and "doing things the right way".
It was a classy, optimistic and generally "Gator-centric" approach; no sour notes or self-rationalization of things now in the past, not surprisingly, just sincere and comfortable continued support for a program he expresses ongoing loyalty and supposed ties to. Where I might have once cynically called it boring, at most "good PR", more recent events both in college football and elsewhere (for eg., a certain caddy comes to mind--"...he's a CADDY, for crying out loud!!!"--perfectly sums it up) makes me appreciate a bit of low key, upbeat loyalty and class.

Escambia94

That's good to hear. As I said earlier, I don't understand the animosity towards Urban, especially since he continues to be loyal.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I was switching between ESPN, ESPN2, & ESPNU all day trying to watch each segment. I only caught the last 4 segments. I hope someone puts them all together and puts it online.

I did catch one segment that showed Muschamp going crazy during some drills.... pretty cool to watch. And Jesse Palmer said practice was a lot like an NFL practice. That is probably something that recruits will like to hear.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That one you mentioned last was part of the longest segment (I believe it was the better part of an "extended coverage" version of the show, "First Take") I saw--and the BEST. The whole segment you saw a portion of (I think that short piece of the longer coverage was part of "College Football Live" Monday) had Muschamp jumping all over the field while two different squads from each side of the ball went at it under the watch and "guidance" of the position coaches; as you saw a good example of, Muschamp seemed to be everywhere, right in there screaming encouragement and/or criticism as needed--and not seeming to miss ANYTHING, even when it happened over at the "other" squad-match-up across the field (you saw how he was ALL OVER the RB's whenever they got stripped of the ball--"Hold onto the BALL, #33--or you won't play!!!" to Mack Brown, and when an RB across the field at the other exercise fumbles, "No! Get him out of there! He needs to stand aside and watch! You cannot drop the ball!"...Yeah, turnovers ARE a major focus with our Head Coach, just as he's said). He was COACHING.
Just as interesting (in a different sort of way) was a segment where we got to sit in on Weis' meeting with the QB's in the morning, where he goes into detail regarding what everyone ELSE is doing in a particular offensive set, the different plays they'll run off of it, especially the blocking schemes and the QB's alternatives and what can happen if it's done wrong AND when it's done right...by the way, later we see them on the field, probably applying the very lessons covered in the meeting, but we catch only confusing glimpses of the actual set-ups, what they're really doing and/or how it's progressing. I'm sure that was intentional: it was actually pretty amazing how they could seemingly show so MUCH, but "give away" so little. Pretty cool, actually. Way to go, guys.
Anyway, we'll have to be happy with and take what we got--it's pretty well gonna have to hold us another 3 weeks or so. A lot of belly-aching among the trolls and haters out there, though, have ya noticed? "What is this--ESPNUF all day on all their channels?!!" Made me laugh, but truth is we go back to being virtually ignored now. Only way out is to sweep through the early schedule "like a hot knife thru' butter", go into the Alabama game undefeated, and then at LEAST make game of it (I will NOT talk about how things would change if we were to actually--no, shut up, don't say it--not superstitious but you don't "tempt the fates" under the BEST of circumstances, and this isn't one of those). The thing is NOT to let the media and casual fans' inevitably overheated excitement and overblown expectations if/when we DO go into that "October Blackhole"-stretch of the schedule undefeated. It's painful to say this (and will be even more painful to go through, in all likelihood), but realistically, from here it feels like we'd be pretty fortunate to get to the other side of "The Cocktail Party" with "just" 2 losses (quotes there because these will be SEC-losses, after all--that's always serious, and they always hurt).
I see everything we'd want to see in both the details and overall pulse of this team, judging by yesterday's coverage, though. IF we can stay healthy, IF there's enough TIME left between now and the SEC-portion of our schedule to mold collections of talented individuals into tight squads (with some interchangeable parts to give them depth), IF John Brantley can actually, FINALLY perform well in real games when the outcome is still in doubt, then this (pick one) "transitional", "under-the-radar", "wildcard" edition of the Fightin' Gators could make it a fun and mainly satisfying season. That's a lot of "moving parts" (to use Coach Chomp's own description) still pending to rest our hopes on, though; best to be patient, hopeful but ready for disappointments and set-backs this year. Too much has to go just right; too many of the details that will determine the ultimate outcome are dependent on luck and factors beyond our direct control.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema