• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

without a vertical passing game

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And you're right about the REAL implied problem in the title here: we STILL have presented NO evidence of a "vertical passing game", and they will show us no respect in that regard unless-and-until we do. Now, some may argue that Weis is waiting 'til we NEED it to pull it out in various forms, but I'm not so sure--he also may have noticed (as WE have) that THAT has not appeared to be Brantley's strong-suit thus far...and anyway, I just don't think it's a good idea to expect to "flip the switch" to turn on an accurate, reliable mid-to-long-range passing game suddenly, just when it becomes absolutely necessary. Bang on me if I turn out to be wrong, but I still believe we HAVE to get SOMETHING credible in this regard up and running this week against KY: it'll warn off the Tide and others that we DO have it, loosening things a bit for our speed runners, AND will thus more likely BE there, ready when we DO have to go to it in a game--AND WE WILL.

we're not saving it i promise you that lol

we're just gonna live and die by rainey and demps this yr and it looks like thats gonna get us about 8 or 9 wins not too shabby

2012 should be a different story when brantley is gone and the driskel/brissett battle starts

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
We will not have a passing game until next year, when Brantley and Thompson graduate. The only reason Brantley has as many passing yards as he does right now is because they are playing smart and only letting him throw 2-3 yrds dump offs and letting rainy/demps ^^do all the work.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I'm just fine with the passing game. Our deep routes were run too close to the sidelines though, not giving JB enough room to throw, and not giving the receivers enough room to run their routes and get open.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They need to throw more.
Yes, I'm sure of it...THAT'S my point here. First, I'm not so certain the teams we face after KY won't be able to come pretty darn close to just shutting us down if we really ARE "Rainey and Demps and a few other guys we don't use that much except as decoys or if one of 'R & D' gets banged up"--and if that's the case, "8 or 9 wins" may be over-optimistic. Second, we have a REALLY good coaching staff now, from the top down: they've got a LOT of weapons, playmakers they haven't really involved that deeply in the offense as of yet. I just can't see them surrendering to a reality they can see coming from WAY off, and settling for another mediocre season here at UF, when they know they have a good shot at 9 wins, MINIMUM, in the regular season. Third, if they DID conclude that Brantley's limitations set the ceiling at mediocrity and made us "R & D or bust", I figure they'd be phasing in Driskel-and-a-backup MUCH more aggressively than they are, the idea being, in effect, that "Next Year begins THIS Year". After all, if they thought this team couldn't do a LOT more than that, then NOW, when the fans are still united in their support for them, would be the time to make tough choices and changes. They're still in "What have we got to lose?" time.
No, they are going to HAVE to throw more, one way or another, at SOME point. Weis is a real smart guy, the proverbial "creative offensive mind" who is ALSO a teacher, mentor and "Fixer of Quarterbacks". I will no longer presume to say exactly how and/or when it will develop, what form it might take, slow and steady or sudden and big, or even repeat again the benefits to be accrued for the whole offense both immediately in that game and down the road against other teams: Weis KNOWS all that, so the fact that Brantley is our starter and has been coming into and out of spring/summer, and remains so now, to ME signals that the OC has plans for him the whole of this season, barring injury or complete collapse. He expects him to execute all facets of those plans, which MUST include a LOT more than we've seen so far (INCLUDING the forward pass longer than 5 yards) and has confidence that he can and WILL get it done.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
^^^i wouldn't be surprised to see Brantley benched half way thru Hama and driskel playing...
Ha! You just answered the question I was posing on another thread moments ago!
(You'll see the alert come up since it was part of a "reply" to you there--actually, my Q was to everyone, and I had a pretty good idea where you would stand on this; I go back and forth--not about what we'll have to do at SOME point unless Brantley has significantly more than he's shown so far, but whether or not Weis has him coming along and can ultimately draw, not "dazzling" out of him, but "enough"...as I've said elsewhere, it bothers me that we still don't "KNOW" yet, and am normally inclined to be pessimistic by now, but his is a strange situation this time; no matter what, we WILL know soon, 2 weeks, tops.)

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Ya muschamp has made it known he has no shame in benching a senior if they aren't producing. So to me that means Brantley will get benched sometime in the bama game LOL (can u tell I hate Brantley? Haha always have always will)

totenkopf13

Gator Fan
I figure they have something in the bag. I just hope it hasn't expired when they bring it out. They need to stretch the field some this week, and I mean actually in the air. Not yards after the catch.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ya muschamp has made it known he has no shame in benching a senior if they aren't producing. So to me that means Brantley will get benched sometime in the bama game LOL (can u tell I hate Brantley? Haha always have always will)

You know I felt the same way last year--I'm trying to be more patient, let it play out with our new staff and all that--but I've gone further than I normally would on this and I know we're getting to a go/no-go point: he either performs at a certain minimal level of required competency (my idea of that may be different than another's, including Weis' or Muschamp's, but certain things WILL have to get done), or like you say, by their own standards and stated way-of-operating it will be time to make a change--when it happens, how it happens, and whether it will be a sudden-and-permanent demotion, or followed by a play-down-the-QB-controversy phase-in period, I've got to believe that is charted on an already well-thought-out process-tree that includes every possible alternative choice and/or outcome.
Just going by the coaches, all that has happened so far, and what's LIKELY to happen next Saturday, we're not there yet--but if I were Weis, based on what we've seen (and check out E'94's observations about JB's "throwing motion-troubles", over on "UF-UT 2011 Score Prediction", near the bottom of p.2) it would be a good idea to put his readiness to run the medium-to-long passing plays to the test NOW, against the Wildcats. Even if you're fairly confident that he's ready to perform "well-enough" (and I can't believe anyone can be more sure than THAT), this is your last chance to bolster #12's confidence, along with everyone else's (including your OWN).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I figure they have something in the bag. I just hope it hasn't expired when they bring it out. They need to stretch the field some this week, and I mean actually in the air. Not yards after the catch.
That's the "Bottom Line", right there. (see above, for details)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema