• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

whos more famous?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Much love to Emmit, but it's gotta be TT--he has already transcended mere "football fame" and moved straight on into "Celebrity"-status. When this sort of thing happens, it is often a matter of a number of different factors and circumstances coming together at the same time, the "right" time--and this is no exception. In a world where they elevate and admire people who are "famous for being famous", when it comes it comes in a mad rush. It can go either way from here: on the one hand, we love to build folks up to tear them down...but if/when that figure can sustain, even surpass the over-heated expectations, well, those small few are the equivalent of our "American Royalty". Tim is already something like that to Gator Nation, but if he can break through at the next level, prove the nay-sayers wrong (the way Emmit actually did, in his own way--not a lot of "experts" were that impressed when the Cowboys took him in the Supplemental Draft the Fall after his sophomore year, as I recall..I was bummed, 'cause I KNEW he was going to be great, and I wasn't any more of a Cowboy fan then than I am now!) and lead the right team in the right situation in the way we know he is uniquely capable of doing, he will end up as one of those total "Stars Who Happen To Play Sports" (like Michael, Wayne, Tiger, etc.--when you think about it, it's time for one or two new ones; that's how it goes, an endless appetite).

robdog

Gator Fan
Well I guess it is going to depend on who you ask. If someone is a bigger college football fan then they are going to like TT, but if they are a bigger NFL fan they will probably go with Emmit. Both are pretty damn popular though.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Memories are short. Tebow.

Personally, I like the guy in my avatar. Hometown hero.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The blurry-nature of faces in med./long-shots in our thumbnail avatar portraits is normally an advantage (at least in MY case, anyway--ha ha), but here it poses a riddle.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dang! I should have known that, too--the "24"!
I was a junior at UF still several YEARS before Emmit got there, and we were already hearing about him, this amazing kid out in the Panhandle who had jumped JV and was tearing up highschool defenses while still in 9th-grade--and word was he was on his way to Gainesville, even then ("His Momma wants him to be a Gator" was one of several versions somehow passed word-of-mouth across the state--this was at the dawn of the "Sports/Media explosion", when regionalism ruled, schools like USC and Ohio State still looked down on places like UF and the rest in the SEC, and ESPN was a new cable channel that filled out its programming with racketball, water polo and Australian Rule Football).
For once, he was everything promised once he arrived at UF, a joy and treat to watch--and there for so short a time.
I'll never begrudge his (or anyone's) jumping to the NFL early when he got the call (in his case, 1st-round SUPPLEMENTAL draft) for the big money--even if it WAS the Cowboys (a great place for him, career-wise, as it turned out--"he said grudgingly").
However, in the back of my mind then and since I can't help but consider wistfully what-might-have-been, had he stayed. He was on the short list for Heisman that last year, and was touted as the front-runner for the next, prior to his move to the NFL. More than that, he would have been damn near unstoppable. We were designed around him on offense by then, with a stout "D" to help shorten the game between long drives.
On the other hand, there was prior trouble that was just about to come knocking at the back door as it caught up with us, might very well have messed things up anyway and unfairly clouded what would have been an otherwise no doubt record-breaking career. As it is, he was great while here, gone too soon but dazzling as a record-breaking pro, and always a proud Gator.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Enmity feared that Spurrier's Fun N' Gun would decrease his rushing output. At Escambia and UF he was in a rushing attack. The speculation at the time was that Spurrier's offense was going to be 60/40 or even 70/30 passing. Little did he know that Rhett would thrive as a runner in the Spurrier offense, which implies Emmitt would have probably done well. Then again, the stars shined on Texas with that nfl draft.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Plus I don't think Spurrier made a real effort (or any for that matter) of wanting Smith to stay. It did work out for both sides.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema