• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where to watch the spring game?

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Well it's that time of the year again... the spring game. And I am still on the west coast. So if anybody knows of anywhere the game is being streamed live, or even a replay, feel free to post.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm in Texas, and here in Austin we only get FOX West and Fox Central--the latter of which is showing LSU's Spring Game, in early afternoon...so I'll be riffing thru' my various links for such purposes, which was generally pretty successful last year: I neither missed nor paid for ANY Gator game, starting with 2010's Orange and Blue Game.
However, scouting a number of them out ahead of time earlier tonight (there are literally dozens I'm aware of) in response to your question, I DID discover that a couple of my more reliable "standby" sites had been apparently closed down, replaced now with a screen with pictures of a seal and a badge and text informing us that in accordance with "ICE", "Homeland Security" was involved in an "ongoing investigation, etc., the gist of which is that I guess the right people weren't cashing in on their efforts to offer something for "free".
Oh well, if I know the 'net, that just means it'll take another relatively short period of time--Weeks? Days? Hours?--for word to spread and folks like myself to come across it of where someone(s) else has found a new loophole. We may end up missing out on seeing this Spring Game live--but then again, maybe not.
I'm still not convinced that NONE of these sites will have it up today--as I say, there are all kinds of loopholes, gray areas, questions that have never been settled, and then there's simply the possibility of "flying under the radar", at least for a while (which may very well be what the closed-down sites had been doing, until maybe they started making some money at it and screwed themselves!). If I find one, I'll pass it on here.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I never did find live coverage online...but I DID just view a home-made "QB Hi-lites-Reel" a friend got from his little brother, a current soph who attended with his digital cam. Man, it looks like Brantley can't even rise above mediocrity in PRACTICE now--and that's what this was, a vanilla practice scrimmage where they couldn't sack the QB. Sure, we knew the defense would be strong, and well ahead of the offense for a LOT of reasons (short of bodies, for one thing, and some of the best talent at that), but that 13-10 score doesn't even fully tell the story...from what I saw, the 10 minutes of coverage on ESPN's "College Football Live" I just watched glosses over the problems #12 appears to be having--even the action on screen as they talk about the coaches' supposed confidence in him shows Brantley under-throwing the open receiver long, over-throwing the wide-open guy over the middle (he makes a good catch, considering he didn't have a ladder with him, but is way off balance now and stumbles forward another 5 yards 'til he hits the turf, STILL no defenders near him, for a decent gain that SHOULD have easily been for so much more with a decent little touch pass), and so on. These are JB's "high points", according to ESPN--and the sad thing is that there really wasn't anything else that stood out more, from what I saw.
Driskell and Murphy both looked OK, with much less work (at least there were a lot fewer plays shot with either of them running either team on the reel I viewed) and clearly smaller "playbooks".
The receivers all seemed to be coming around nicely, especially in terms of YAC--I saw aggressive power AND shifty open-field moves. Some "dropsies", though, especially at the end of plays when they were going down: too many balls stripped away at the end of good, fighting-for-everything after-catch runs. That's GOTTA stop...talk about "Drive Killers"!
Of course, the one guy we've been hearing about and I was anxious to see was Chris Rainey (and to the taper's credit, he clearly tried to catch every play featuring him he could), and the sometimes troubled but always talented and currently much-hyped back didn't disappoint. Even as the lone featured-back right now, with the D keying on him in plays from a very bland, predictable playbook (Weis wasn't showing the world ANYTHING they didn't know already today!), Rainey was consistently the most dynamic player offensively. With a real passing game, the whole innovative Weis playbook, the O-line healthy and our other runners back, Chris Rainey may be poised to have one amazing, breakout season.
All in all, though, admitting that I only saw a limited portion of the Spring Game whole, and THAT focused mainly on what the QBs did and how the defense stopped them on those plays, it seemed clear that this Gator team in general is a "work in progress", with a lot of missing pieces that ARE due to be filled with talented (or in some cases at least promising) players coming off redshirts, returning from injury or other obligations by the summer. That still leaves a lot of questions until then, no guarantee they'll all pan out and the whole "gelling process", the coming together of a TEAM that much further behind even if all goes well.
Again, I have NO doubts about the LONG-term health, promise and success of this program. We've got some great kids coming in this fall, the 2012 recruiting-class is already beginning to shape up as one the experts will again drool over, and the next few years should be exhilarating for Gator Nation. We've got great coaches, I think Foley got us the exact right HEAD coach, and , with a bit of patience, everything will come around.
It's THIS season that is still a question mark. I already had the feeling we had a lot of things slowing our growth-process down, more of those have continued to crop up, and this "Orange and Blue Debut" has only served to illustrate and deepen that feeling, for me.
No matter what, given where we're at now, in the early games this year we'll have to be a team that dominates defensively, keeps the score down and makes just enough plays on offense to win. One way or another, with changes and adjustments I believe things will be different by late in the season: we'll be a more and more balanced team. We'll almost certainly lose a game or two we shouldn't have before then, though, and probably the same for teams we just won't be READY to beat yet...but we'll be a team NO ONE wants to meet up with by mid-November or so, I mean it. And that's who and what we'll be for years to come.
What little I saw of and in today's glorified intrasquad scrimmage only served to reinforce that impression.
I'd like to hear from those of you who saw the whole thing, on Sun Sports Fla. or (even better) in person for your thoughts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema