• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 9: NR Florida Gators vs #1 Georgia Bulldogs "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" 10/30/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida-Georgia hate b0e4367b05b5c498a5aa08d30c02561a.png

Welcome to the 98th incarnation of the heated rivalry between the Florida Gators and the Georgia Bulldogs--the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", the "Florida-Georgia Game", or the "War for the Oar". The Gators limp into TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida at 4-3 (2-3 SEC) as 14 point underdogs to the #1 Georgia Bulldogs who are 7-0 (5-0 SEC). Kickoff will be at 3:30 PM ET, and the game will be televised on CBS. In odd-numbered years such as this one the Gators are are the home and the fans will be seated in the west side of the stadium. Dan Mullen enters this game with a career record of 104-64 over 12 years. Kirby Smart is 52-14 over 6 years. The Gators are 44-52-2 all-time against the Dawgs in a series that goes back to 1915 (if you follow the Florida version of the story). The last time the Georgia Bulldogs were on a national championship path like this one was arguably in 1980 when the undefeated #2 Bulldogs barely escaped the original Gator Bowl in Jacksonville with a 26-21 victory over the #20 Florida Gators--on the "Run Lindsay Run" play. This year's Gators will need to open up some semblance of a passing attack in order to have a chance against the staunch run defense of the Bulldogs and retain the Okefenokee Oar. Even if the Gators manage to beat Georgia and ruin their undefeated season, the Dawgs are still in control of the SEC East.

Florida Gators overview
The Gator season is pretty much derailed, and the Gator Nation is frustrated at both Dan Mullen's baffling decision-making and Todd Grantham's horrible defensive calls. High school recruits can sense something wrong and are de-committing left and right. The Gator coaching staff seems oblivious to the reality of their situation. Florida is #38 in total defense, and #9 in total offense (#53 passing, #4 rushing).

Here is a look at the season so far:
DateOpponentResult
September 4Florida Atlantic at #13 Florida35-14
September 11South Florida vs #13 Florida (Raymond James Stadium)42-20
September 18#1 Alabama at #11 Florida29-31
September 25Tennessee at #11 Florida38-14
October 2Kentucky vs #10 Florida13-20
October 9Vanderbilt at #20 Florida42-0
October 16LSU vs #20 Florida42-49
October 30#1 Georgia at Florida (TIAA Bank Field)

Georgia Bulldogs overview
The Dawgs are in complete control of the SEC East. The Gators are the only ranked or formerly ranked team left on their schedule that can challenge them in the regular season. Georgia is #1 in total defense, and #42 in total offense (#62 passing, #39).

DateOpponentResult
September 4#3 Clemson vs #5 Georgia10-3
September 11UAB at #2 Georgia56-7
September 18South Carolina at #2 Georgia40-13
September 25Vanderbilt vs #2 Georgia62-0
October 2#8 Arkansas at #2 Georgia37-0
October 9#18 Auburn vs #2 Georgia34-10
October 16#11 Kentucky vs #1 Georgia30-13
October 30Florida vs #1 Georgia (TIAA Bank Field)

How Florida Can Win
The Gators absolutely need to gain 200 yards in the air and limit interceptions in order to win this game. The Georgia run defense is a brick wall that can only be chiseled at by opening up the passing attack. Florida limited mistakes against Alabama and showed it could compete with a top-10 team, but that game seems so far away after losses to unranked Kentucky and unranked LSU. The Gators can really help their cause by holding onto the damn ball and wrapping up the ball carrier. If the not-so-secret weapon, Anthony Richardson, can limit mistakes while still yielding explosive plays, then the Gators have a chance. If the passing game gets going and opens up running lanes, then the Gators have a chance. If the Gators practice fundamental tackling skills, then the Gators have a chance. If all of those happen in this game, then the Gators can pull off an upset.

How Georgia Will Likely Win
Georgia plays disciplined on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Neither quarterback is flashy, but when healthy JT Daniels has more of an upside than Stetson Bennett. The Georgia defense is going to stop the Florida offense more often than not. The Florida offense will shoot itself in the foot just one too many times.

Prediction
I want to call for a 23-21 upset for the Gators, but this will more likely be a 36-21 victory for the Dawgs.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
View attachment 610

Welcome to the 98th incarnation of the heated rivalry between the Florida Gators and the Georgia Bulldogs--the "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", the "Florida-Georgia Game", or the "War for the Oar". The Gators limp into TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, Florida at 4-3 (2-3 SEC) as 14 point underdogs to the #1 Georgia Bulldogs who are 7-0 (5-0 SEC). Kickoff will be at 3:30 PM ET, and the game will be televised on CBS. In odd-numbered years such as this one the Gators are are the home and the fans will be seated in the west side of the stadium. Dan Mullen enters this game with a career record of 104-64 over 12 years. Kirby Smart is 52-14 over 6 years. The Gators are 44-52-2 all-time against the Dawgs in a series that goes back to 1915 (if you follow the Florida version of the story). The last time the Georgia Bulldogs were on a national championship path like this one was arguably in 1980 when the undefeated #2 Bulldogs barely escaped the original Gator Bowl in Jacksonville with a 26-21 victory over the #20 Florida Gators--on the "Run Lindsay Run" play. This year's Gators will need to open up some semblance of a passing attack in order to have a chance against the staunch run defense of the Bulldogs and retain the Okefenokee Oar. Even if the Gators manage to beat Georgia and ruin their undefeated season, the Dawgs are still in control of the SEC East.

Florida Gators overview
The Gator season is pretty much derailed, and the Gator Nation is frustrated at both Dan Mullen's baffling decision-making and Todd Grantham's horrible defensive calls. High school recruits can sense something wrong and are de-committing left and right. The Gator coaching staff seems oblivious to the reality of their situation. Florida is #38 in total defense, and #9 in total offense (#53 passing, #4 rushing).

DateOpponentResult
September 4Florida Atlantic at #13 Florida35-14
September 11South Florida vs #13 Florida (Raymond James Stadium)42-20
September 18#1 Alabama at #11 Florida29-31
September 25Tennessee at #11 Florida38-14
October 2Kentucky vs #10 Florida13-20
October 9Vanderbilt at #20 Florida42-0
October 16LSU vs #20 Florida42-49
October 30#1 Georgia at Florida (TIAA Bank Field)

Georgia Bulldogs overview
The Dawgs are in complete control of the SEC East. The Gators are the only ranked or formerly ranked team left on their schedule that can challenge them in the regular season. Georgia is #1 in total defense, and #42 in total offense (#62 passing, #39).

DateOpponentResult
September 4#3 Clemson vs #5 Georgia10-3
September 11UAB at #2 Georgia56-7
September 18South Carolina at #2 Georgia40-13
September 25Vanderbilt vs #2 Georgia62-0
October 2#8 Arkansas at #2 Georgia37-0
October 9#18 Auburn vs #2 Georgia34-10
October 16#11 Kentucky vs #1 Georgia30-13
October 30Florida vs #1 Georgia (TIAA Bank Field)

How Florida Can Win
The Gators absolutely need to gain 200 yards in the air and limit interceptions in order to win this game. The Georgia run defense is a brick wall that can only be chiseled at by opening up the passing attack. Florida limited mistakes against Alabama and showed it could compete with a top-10 team, but that game seems so far away after losses to unranked Kentucky and unranked LSU. The Gators can really help their cause by holding onto the damn ball and wrapping up the ball carrier. If the not-so-secret weapon, Anthony Richardson, can limit mistakes while still yielding explosive plays, then the Gators have a chance. If the passing game gets going and opens up running lanes, then the Gators have a chance. If the Gators practice fundamental tackling skills, then the Gators have a chance. If all of those happen in this game, then the Gators can pull off an upset.

How Georgia Will Likely Win
Georgia plays disciplined on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Neither quarterback is flashy, but when healthy JT Daniels has more of an upside than Stetson Bennett. The Georgia defense is going to stop the Florida offense more often than not. The Florida offense will shoot itself in the foot just one too many times.

Prediction
I want to call for a 23-21 upset for the Gators, but this will more likely be a 36-21 victory for the Dawgs.
Wow.
You went all OUT for this one, bra’.
First, let me just say my “Like” goes ESPECIALLY for your conclusion/prediction,
which pretty aptly
SUMS THE WHOLE THING UP!
Catches MY complex “mixed feelings” state-of-mind/spirit leading INTO this one.
So much there, so many of those “feelings” triggered by that history you (by necessity!) mostly just skimmed over...
I was THERE for that 1980 (“Run, Lindsey, RUN!!!” game)...It was my Senior year, as I recall, we (me and a bunch of friends who tended to turn our activity-cards in together so we’d get SEATS together...do they even DO things that way anymore?) took The Gator Train from Stark into Downtown Jacksonville that weekend, partying from Friday night on and somehow managed to get some sleep somewhere along the way and actually make it to the GAME—still conscious and able to register the overwhelming shock and disappointment of the play and the way it all ended.
Until “that play” the game was shaping up as a fitting cap to a season that had heralded our rise under then-Coach Charlie Pell, who’d come to guide the “awakening of the Sleeping Giant” that was UF in the SEC for so many years (I won’t recount the floundering years we had suffered just before, Doug Dickey having left the cupboard arguably barer than it may have EVER been (an “0-10-and-1” season had preceded this one just a coupla seasons before, as I recall—but we were CLEARLY “on the come” by the ‘80 Cocktail Party, once Pell was here).
The Gators were my lifelong favorite sports team before I (naturally) attended this “Party”, and here I’d arrived just in time for all THAT. But I loved my time there, we had FUN at the games even BEFORE the wins came (nothing was “on the LINE”, even that “no victories”-year, so in a way, that season in particular all pressure was off: We all drank, “etc.”—This was Gainesville in the SEVENTIES, ya know??! We joked, partied and sang...then went home and did it all some more!)
But by late in the 4th quarter THAT day, EVERYTHING was indeed “on the line” once more, and—well, you know what happened: It’s “HISTORY” now.
So it goes.
Certainly “so it went”.
Now we face THIS one from the perspective that FOUR DECADES OF RISE AND FALL (a whole LOT of “rise” broken by several hard “falls” that cleared the way for dramatic RE-“rises” once more!).
It all fades in memory after the play and the game ending, us in frozen, bummed-out shock. I don’t remember the details, but obviously we managed to get ourselves back to G-ville and home in relative health and safety.
We all really thought we were back “on the rise” for THIS season, too—and this “Showcase GAME” that so often is a kind of “Barometer” of BOTH program’s current relative “Health”.
This has every sign and possibility of a “High Water Mark” for them; for us (as your own apt double/split “prediction” would indicate) more confusedly embodies OUR potential takeaways for the moment—for me perhaps at least a nice “bookend” to that moment 41 years ago (one I still can’t watch, have NEVER watched fully through again since seeing it live lo these many years ago...
That’s right:
I switch away whenever it is shown on ESPN or wherever it is playing...that and the myriad Herschel Walker “daggers-through-the-heart” that all seem to be “of a piece” during that period of NCAA punishment overkill and Gator misbehavior on and off the field, on the sidelines, in and out of the locker room—and so on...and on.
But there was ALSO Spurrier and Wuerful, and yes, Meyer (a “2-edged blade” if there ever WAS one!) and Leak and Tebow and along the way a HOST of great players ALL OVER THE FIELD...and CHAMPIONSHIPS...Heck, there COULDA been MORE! We were winning ‘em in multiple sports there for a while, all at the same time! But of course, FOOTBALL led the way.
We’re a “Football SCHOOL”.
In the south, that is KEY.
For a time, in FLORIDA it was EVERYTHING!
Aw, HELL WITH IT:
We’ll be back!
GO GATORS! Eat ‘em UP!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Got that old Beatles song, “The Night Before”, going round my head. No special significance, really—just noting it...
Fact is, I just don’t know HOW to feel about this one right about now. We’ve pretty well summed up our “mixed feelings” by now!
Just gotta let it happen now, I suppose. Don’t know for sure, but at the moment it just seems nothing but some “joyful shock of a surprise-performance” would likely stimulate much in the way of commentary from MY end—but we’ll see.
Let those be my last words on this one—and maybe everything-after:
“We’ll see.”

Escambia94

@DRU2012 Your first mistake is watching ESPN. I only watch SEC Network. During the game I only listen to Mick Hubert on the WRUF online stream.

Escambia94

In order to balance the negativity, consider the following facts:
- Since 2000 the favored team wins a rivalry game 73% of the time, but in the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party the team ranked in the top 5 only wins 59% of the time.
- Unranked teams have defeated ranked teams 8 times in the past 50 Cocktail Parties.

So what could happen? If Dan Mullen has half a brain, he will have used the bye week to evaluate the film on quarterbacks and tackling and will make the following changes that will be the keys to victory:
- Start AR15 or play him a lot more in key plays. NFL scouts and NCAA talent evaluators agree that AR15 is further along in his stage of development than Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson were at this stage.
- Florida is still the best offense that Georgia will face this year in the regular season. They are still #1 in the SEC with yards per play, #2 in offensive success rate, and #1 in rushing yards per attempt. They are #1 in explosive plays with EJ5 and AR15 splitting those 50/50 despite EJ5 having four times as many snaps.
- Last year the Gator defense stepped up against Georgia and dominated the Dawg offensive line. This year's Dawg front is more stout, but the Gators just need to pick a few spots.
- Turnovers are the other weakness for this team. The Gators are 0-7 in one-score games, with turnovers being a key factor in all of them. They are currently #122 in turnover margin. One would assume that coming off a bye week the Gators would work on limiting those turnovers.
- Despite playing awfully in terms of missed tackles, the Gators are still #17 in tackling efficiency, but are outside the top 50 in terms of tackles for loss.

Escambia94

Still 0-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Neither team seems to be able to break the stalemate at the line of scrimmage and neither can make a field goal.

Attachments

• BD7A60AA-4435-4296-A0BA-23C92045098D.jpeg
    BD7A60AA-4435-4296-A0BA-23C92045098D.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 111

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@DRU2012 Your first mistake is watching ESPN. I only watch SEC Network. During the game I only listen to Mick Hubert on the WRUF online stream.
You’re no doubt right—but I get this fat delay listening to RUF online—makes it impossible to sync with streaming video of game...
HOWEVER: Am currently just LISTENING to RUF—and yes, MUCH better! I won’t say my superstitious move to “no pictures” has meant some dramatic change, but certainly “so far, so not-so-BAD” aptly describes things. That “oops/slip/gotta kick/aw, Hell!” sequence seems typical of the season thus far, but up til then we were doing what we had to do on D anyway.
Still in “we’ll see” mode, though...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Y’all feel it? This is where it seems to always get away from this year’s Gators.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We aren’t “worse” as far as talent-match-up here;
We just have this way of “shooting our wad”, then giving in. One last grain of hope:
TAKE IT AWAY, GATORS!
It is in your own hands, here and now. Get the ball back and GO FOR BROKE!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We will lose this review—and with it, the game. We can’t even make a turnover work for us! I am so sick with this season...How long were they gonna give the whole Georgia TEAM tear at him, anyway (until they had the ball, I guess).
Goodbye, my brothers.
We are officially a “team sinking into progressive disarray”. I just cannot stand to watch this time and time again. Even Miami is coming out of its funk sooner than us.
I’m just not sure there’s anything to be done except to go THROUGH it...It could be YEARS before someone who is very young now emerges, rebuilds and leads us back.
Not looking like Dan Mullen after all. As things stand, we are back 40 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema