• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 7: #20 Florida Gators 42, LSU Tigers 49, 10/16/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators (4-2, 2-2) go into Death Valley to face the floundering Bayou Bengals of LSU (3-3, 1-2). As punishment for both teams under-performing this game has been relegated to the noon kickoff. Florida is favored by 10.5 and the O/U is at 59.

Florida leads the all-time series 33-31-3 (since 1937), but LSU has a two-game winning streak. The Gators can break the 17-17 series tie in Baton Rouge with a win this Saturday. Florida leads the series in the Swamp 16-14-3.

LSU's head coach is on the hot seat, their best CB, Derek Stingley, is out with a foot injury, their best WR, Kayshon Boutte, is out for the year with a leg injury, and their running game is in shambles. Usually that means that everything looks the opposite when they play the Gators, so I expect the Tigers to get their running game going against Florida because the football gods just hate the Gators. Maybe instead of throwing shoes we should be sacrificing shoes to the football gods. LSU is 0-3 when allowing more than 115 rushing yards, and Florida's running game is #3 behind Air Force and Army with 273 rushing yards per game. On the bright side, QB Max Johnson is having a great season--largely thanks to the confidence booster the stinking 2020 Gators gave him by letting him throw for 435 yards last year.

Florida still has an outside shot a NY6 bowl game as long as they stop shooting themselves in the foot and losing winnable games. I see the Gators avenging last year's loss 32-17.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators (4-2, 2-2) go into Death Valley to face the floundering Bayou Bengals of LSU (3-3, 1-2). As punishment for both teams under-performing this game has been relegated to the noon kickoff. Florida is favored by 10.5 and the O/U is at 59.

LSU's head coach is on the hot seat, their best CB, Derek Stingley, is out with a foot injury, their best WR, Kayshon Boutte, is out for the year with a leg injury, and their running game is in shambles. Usually that means that everything looks the opposite when they play the Gators, so I expect the Tigers to get their running game going against Florida because the football gods just hate the Gators. Maybe instead of throwing shoes we should be sacrificing shoes to the football gods. LSU is 0-3 when allowing more than 115 rushing yards, and Florida's running game is #3 behind Air Force and Army with 273 rushing yards per game. On the bright side, QB Max Johnson is having a great season--largely thanks to the confidence booster the stinking 2020 Gators gave him by letting him throw for 435 yards last year.

Florida still has an outside shot a NY6 bowl game as long as they stop shooting themselves in the foot and losing winnable games. I see the Gators avenging last year's loss 32-17.
Escambia94, I’m not sure what’s gotten into you, but you are SIZZLING here this time!
To paraphrase a character in a drama currently streaming online, “Man, I LIKE you this way, this time man!”
And you are not just spot-on, but you cover ALL the issues and situational details above
—and you do it with sardonic humor and dark style.
This game was LAST season’s true “shocking turning point”—indeed, toward “downward plunge”!
In certain ways it could be argued we have YET to fully recover: From an emotional standpoint we have never looked fully confident, competent or comfortable SINCE: We have yet to play a complete game, four quarters of clean, tight, well-played football, this season—much the same way we steadily deteriorated through the rest of last year’s games.
As for “avenging last year’s loss”, we damn well BETTER!
We have both the talent and motivational advantage to do better than “32-17”, too (though frankly, of course, I’ll TAKE it!).
I would really like to see us begin to turn THIS season around the OPPOSITE way things went from last year’s game...I’m not gonna pick a score, but y’all get the idea.
Let’s run the Gravel-Voiced Mumbler’s team off the field—and HIM out of New Orleans for all I care.
...and Yeah, we are “relegated” to the noon game, but at least we don’t have to wait all day for those bayou blowhards to work themselves into a roaring, drunken frenzy either; let’s go out and shut them down, SHUT THEM UP early.
Then we can turn to the rest of our season, see what we can salvage in pride, hope—and begin perhaps to build our FUTURE after all!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I said this was one of the games I'm worried about. Feeling a little better with some of their players missing the game though there's Max Johnson and Death Valley. If Kentucky was bad then Baton Rouge will be 10x worse.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I said this was one of the games I'm worried about. Feeling a little better with some of their players missing the game though there's Max Johnson and Death Valley. If Kentucky was bad then Baton Rouge will be 10x worse.
At this point we can take NOTHING for granted.
I THINK we should be able to win this one “going away”—but you KNOW we’ll gain little from a public standpoint (in the “beauty pageant rankings”) with ANY kind of BIG victory, and probably further pummeled for even a small-margin win (let alone a loss—which frankly we’d DESERVE castigation for: There ARE no excuses for anything but our going out there and TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS in Red Stick on Saturday.
However, MEANWHILE, as I feared with a sinking heart as it all transpired LAST Saturday night watching the UK debacle, we now have to suffer through all after-coverage of our team THIS week in the run-up to our game AND UK’s now-headlined “match-up-of-undefeateds” against UGA between-the-hedges...Sure enough, there was that damned fg-kick blocked and run back on us repeatedly being shown and described as “a turning point”...A “TURNING POINT”?
In that game?
IN THE SEASON—and NOT just ours...it could be argued (we’ll have to wait to see how extensively) in the season and fate of a NUMBER of SEC East teams!
But for now, at the very least EXTREMELY painful having to watch and REwatch that play with or WITHOUT a particular commentary or point being made with or behind it.
That wasn’t our ONLY “bad moment”/“crucial let down” in last Sat night’s game, obviously, but it and the MISSED point-after were what put us in the rest at the end.
Now we get a shot at LSU...it’s at their place, sure—but less a “Death Valley” during the day, “relegated” or not!—they got a buncha injuries, we got a few of our best defenders coming back, the sideline seems to be in a certain amount of chaos, their Coach is saying all the WRONG things, we have ALL the motivation after LAST season’s melt-down against them...
Hey, it is only RIGHT we should KICK ‘EM WHEN THEY’RE DOWN!
It won’t get us very far in the larger, “what-we-wanted-from-this-SEASON P.O.V.”, but we will TAKE IT, right?

Escambia94

Here is a quick look at Max Johnson and how he compares as a QB to others that the Gators have faced, as well as his comparison to our own Emory Jones.

- LSU - Max Johnson SO 6-5 219
-- 135/219 61.6% 1729 yds 7.9 ypa 17 TD 4 INT 149.9 RAT 39 rush -3 yds -0.1 ypr | 1726 yds 17 TD
- Kentucky - Will Levis TR-JR 6-3 222
-- 87/135 64.4% 1134 yds 8.4 ypa 11 TD 6 INT 153.0 RAT 40 rush 163 yds 4.1 ypr 3 TD | 1134 yds 14 TD
- Alabama - Bryce Young SO 6-0 194
-- 137/197 69.5% 1734 yds 8.8 ypa 20 TD 3 INT 173.9 RAT 22 rush -20 yds -0.9 ypr | 1714 yds 20 TD
- Georgia - Stetson Bennett SR 5-11 190
-- 43/62 69.4% 746 yds 12.0 ypa 8 TD 2 INT 206.6 RAT 16 rush 126 yds 7.9 ypr | 972 yds 8 TD
-- 54/71 76.1% 567 yds 8.0 ypa 5 TD 2 INT 160.7 3 rush -15 yds -5.0 ypr | 567 yds 5 TD
-- Total 1313 yds 13 TD 4 INT
- Florida - Emory Jones JR 6-2 211
-- 106/156 67.9% 1143 yds 7.3 ypa 9 TD 7 INT 139.6 RAT 75 rush 478 yds 6.4 ypa 2 TD | 1621 yds 11 TD

Johnson is a good QB, but his performance is comparable to any of the top-half QBs in the SEC. Emory Jones is actually comparable as a QB, other than having a passer rating 10 points lower than Johnson's--which he makes up for with 475 more rushing yards.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here is a quick look at Max Johnson and how he compares as a QB to others that the Gators have faced, as well as his comparison to our own Emory Jones.

- LSU - Max Johnson SO 6-5 219
-- 135/219 61.6% 1729 yds 7.9 ypa 17 TD 4 INT 149.9 RAT 39 rush -3 yds -0.1 ypr | 1726 yds 17 TD
- Kentucky - Will Levis TR-JR 6-3 222
-- 87/135 64.4% 1134 yds 8.4 ypa 11 TD 6 INT 153.0 RAT 40 rush 163 yds 4.1 ypr 3 TD | 1134 yds 14 TD
- Alabama - Bryce Young SO 6-0 194
-- 137/197 69.5% 1734 yds 8.8 ypa 20 TD 3 INT 173.9 RAT 22 rush -20 yds -0.9 ypr | 1714 yds 20 TD
- Georgia - Stetson Bennett SR 5-11 190
-- 43/62 69.4% 746 yds 12.0 ypa 8 TD 2 INT 206.6 RAT 16 rush 126 yds 7.9 ypr | 972 yds 8 TD
-- 54/71 76.1% 567 yds 8.0 ypa 5 TD 2 INT 160.7 3 rush -15 yds -5.0 ypr | 567 yds 5 TD
-- Total 1313 yds 13 TD 4 INT
- Florida - Emory Jones JR 6-2 211
-- 106/156 67.9% 1143 yds 7.3 ypa 9 TD 7 INT 139.6 RAT 75 rush 478 yds 6.4 ypa 2 TD | 1621 yds 11 TD

Johnson is a good QB, but his performance is comparable to any of the top-half QBs in the SEC. Emory Jones is actually comparable as a QB, other than having a passer rating 10 points lower than Johnson's--which he makes up for with 475 more rushing yards.
To be honest, I just don’t know how to fully digest and draw any final conclusions from your comparative analyses of the various SEC quarterbacks, E—.
Do you think that, taken as a whole, that compilation gives us a proper “solid overview” of where Emory stands among them, and/or how it all adds up as to our game’s actual “final outcome”?
MY comments are admittedly based on a mainly emotional, “gut level” FEELING about where this one is headed:
That doesn’t usually translate to any kind of “written-in-stone” prediction, I gotta admit!
I am frankly somewhat lost as to our strengths, weaknesses and relative growth-so-far this season—and after the way we blew our chances in BOTH losses incurred thus far, AND the way we took such a startling dive when we faced a supposedly LIKEWISE “overmatched” LSU squad LAST season, I find it difficult now to parse our chances tomorrow.
At the same time, I trust your level-headed, stat- and logic-based extrapolation, so I’ll come right out and ASK you for a full-on correlation between the ratings-rundown and your earlier “32-to-17” prediction:
Please explain to me how the first (stats) leads to the second (score), by your analysis.
(Of course, starting as it is so EARLY, the game itself is almost upon us NOW; If you at this point prefer to just “let it go and LET IT RIDE”, I’d understand completely!
Either way, we’ll talk and generally get TO it in a little more than 12 hours.
Until then, sleep well, and
GO GATORS!!!)

Escambia94

@DRU2012 All we can say at this point is that position-by-position all the SEC quarterbacks perform about the same, except that Alabama’s Bryce Young and Georgia’s Stetson Bennett are slightly better in some ways. Emory Jones is below the SEC average as a pure passer, but he makes up for it with his running abilities.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@DRU2012 All we can say at this point is that position-by-position all the SEC quarterbacks perform about the same, except that Alabama’s Bryce Young and Georgia’s Stetson Bennett are slightly better in some ways. Emory Jones is below the SEC average as a pure passer, but he makes up for it with his running abilities.
All right: But between the TWO QBs it LOOKED like we had “MORE”—either a “two-headed monster”, OR one developing/reaching and HOLDING things to a certain standard while the other contributes, learns and develops—and eventually STARS!
But somehow that all fizzled right after AR pulled up clutching at his hammy on his last big run in—was it late-Game 2?
Anyway, by the Alabama game we appeared to have taken a different path, depending on who you listened to or what you tended to interpret or evaluate/deduce on your own.
Hence my comments above.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I’m at ESPN, but before our game had to endure the Wildcats playing the role that was SUPPOSED be ours this year. If we were in the slightest correct in our estimate of Coach Mullen’s 2021 squad’s talent and potential, we SHOULD proceed to actually accomplish today what we completely FAILED to manage LAST year...while meanwhile “the Coach likely turns into a pumpkin” between the hedges for UK later.
And we immediately give up a long pass for a first down to them, with first possession Series. We can NOT “start slow” again here!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not a fan of the all-orange, personally: But 4th down.
Blocked. Gator ball.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Something just always looking a bit SLOW, DELAYED on almost every play.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It’s Emory. Happened again there on 2nd AND 3rd down.
He even waited too long before trying to break out of the pocket and RUN for the first down.
Um, we have deteriorated to the point where we HAVE no passing offense much of the time with Emory in there!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don’t know how much of this game I can watch.
I WILL have to stop commenting on it soon:
We are AGAIN starting slow, sloppy. I hate it—and we will lose THIS game much the way we lost it last year, at this rate.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is it finally time yet?
Is it time to get AR in there, at least a bit more than “every now and then”?
Yes, neat little play there throwing to him, but if we need trick plays to beat LSU, we are in trouble OURSELVES!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, touchdown run by Pierce.
and he misses/gets blocked the extra point. This is just a mistake-plagued version of a Gator season. The last tune this happened it COST us the Kentucky game.
You can just NEVER RELAX with this team...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leakfan12, @Escambia94,
I just gotta share this “off-track” observation:
You know that scene in “The Empire Strikes Back”, on Degoba when Luke tries and fails to raise his X-wing out of the muck with Yoda looking on? Well, that whole way he STARTS to get it moving, begins to raise it, then it fizzled out, sinks back with that accompanying “wilting sound”, THAT is EXACTLY how these Gator games feel, how thus WHOLE SEASON feels it seems every week: That same sinking feeling, with that same matching “sinking tune” the appropriate accompaniment, know what I mean?
Lol. I mean, I’m trying to make light of what is in truth a TOTAL BUMMER!

Escambia94

3rd possession starts with AR15. We shall see if we indeed have a two-headed monster.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
GEEZ. This one’s starting to head into LAST year’s territory—and AGSIN: They are FEELING it, more and more.
We better find ourselves a coupla turnovers this time or we are going to end up losing this game—and maybe our “QB of the Future” and perhaps eventually our Coach TOO!
Defense is getting beat again right now too. They get the lead with a TD-/ it after the mixed point after even a :-pointer helps them now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Bummer prediction:
Either we shut them down NOW, we LOSE THIS GAME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema