• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 4/ 1: #5 Florida Gators 51, Ole Miss Rebels 35 9/26

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The #5 Florida Gators open their 2020 season on the road at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi to take on the Ole Miss Rebels on Saturday, September 26, 2020 at noon ET. The game will be shown on ESPN. The Gators are favored by 14.5 points at -110 with a 57-point over/under. Florida is coming off an 11-2 campaign in 2019 as the Orange Bowl victors while the Rebels will be fielding a completely overhauled team that went 4-8 last year.

This will be the 116th season for the mighty Gators and the 126th for the Rebels. Dan Mullen will be entering his third year as head coach for the Gators with a 21-5 record, and Lane Kiffin will be entering his first year. Florida is 11-12-1 against Ole Miss all-time, but is 5-2 in all games played in Oxford. The last time Florida and Ole Miss met in a season opener was in 1948, a 14-0 victory for the Rebels. This is the second time Lane Kiffin will face off against the Gators, with the last time being as Tennessee head coach in a 13-23 loss. The last few games have been split by both teams:
  • 2015 Florida 38, Ole Miss 10
  • 2008 Ole Miss 31, Florida 30
  • 2007 Florida 30, Ole Miss 24
The Rebels will play both John Rhys Plumlee (SO) and former Gator commit Matt Coral (RSO). Plumlee is a dangerous runner that Dan Mullen says is faster than any member of the Gator team, so the Gators will need to contain him while respecting his improving passing skills. Lane Kiffin rejoins the SEC as the 39th coach in Ole Miss history. Kiffin won two Conference USA titles in three seasons at FAU and propelled the team to the top of the offensive statistical rankings. The Ole Miss co-defensive coordinator, DJ Durkin, will be somewhat familiar with Florida speed, having been a special teams coach and defensive coordinator for the Gators from 2010-2014. Durkin and Mullen did not coach together at Florida, but they did coach together at Bowling Green from 2001-2002. The following Rebels are players to watch, including 6 preseason All-SEC:
  • Ben Brown: Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
  • Mac Brown: Wuerffel Trophy, Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
  • Jerrion Ealy: Doak Walker Award Watch List, Paul Hornung Award Watch List, Preseason All-SEC (First Team [All-Purpose]), Preseason All-SEC (Second Team [All-Purpose, KR]), Preseason All-SEC (Third Team [RB, All-Purpose])
  • Lakia Henry: Butkus Award Watch List, Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Elijah Moore: Biletnikoff Award Watch List, Preseason All-SEC (Second Team)
  • Royce Newman: Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Jack Propst: Preseason All-SEC (Second Team)
  • MoMo Sanogo: Preseason All-SEC (Fourth Team)
  • Tariqious Tisdale: Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Sam Williams: Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
WR Elijah Moore (JR) will challenge Florida DBU claim as the Rebels' Biletnikoff Award Watch List receiver and Preseason All-SEC receiver. RB Jerrion Ealy (SO) and QB John Rhys Plumlee (SO) will both test Florida's linebacker corps early in order to open up passing lanes for Lane Kiffin's passing attack. Whether Coral or Plumlee are under center, they can generally trust OG Ben Brown (JR) and OC Eli Johnson (SR) to keep the Gator's havoc-inducing defense at bay.

On defense, DE/LB Sam Williams (SR) is the leading hybrid edge rusher. LB Jacques Jones (JR), LB Lakia Henry (SR), DE Tariqious Tisdale (SR), and S John Haynes (SR) are the stars on a defense that can only improve under Chris Partridge and DJ Durkin. Both of the defensive coordinators are excellent recruiters, so expect plenty of freshmen to step up quickly.

The Gators return 11 Preseason All-SEC athletes:
  • TE Kyle Pitts, Florida (First Team)
  • QB Kyle Trask, Florida (Second Team)
  • AP Kadarius Toney, Florida (Second Team)
  • CB Kaiir Elam, Florida (Second Team)
  • DL Zachary Carter, Florida (Third Team)
  • CB Marco Wilson, Florida (Third Team)
  • S Shawn Davis, Florida (Third Team)
  • K Evan McPherson, Florida (Third Team)
  • WR Trevon Grimes, Florida (Third Team)
  • OL Stewart Reese, Florida (Third Team, transfer from Mississippi State)
  • DL TJ Slaton, Florida (Fourth Team)
In a year where anything is possible, this game will be a first look at how well each of the teams has adapted to the unique circumstances surrounding the season. The Gators have the advantage of coming off a largely successful 2019 season and a lot of continuity. Neither team is reporting positive cases of COVID-19, but anything can change as tests are administered up to game day. Barring any COVID outbreak, I expect this game to be rather sloppy with the Gators pulling off a win. I do not expect the Gators to cover the spread or the points. I predict a low-scoring affair, 24-14, Gators.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The #5 Florida Gators open their 2020 season on the road at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium in Oxford, Mississippi to take on the Ole Miss Rebels on Saturday, September 26, 2020 at noon ET. The game will be shown on ESPN. The Gators are favored by 14.5 points at -110 with a 57-point over/under. Florida is coming off an 11-2 campaign in 2019 as the Orange Bowl victors while the Rebels will be fielding a completely overhauled team that went 4-8 last year.

This will be the 116th season for the mighty Gators and the 126th for the Rebels. Dan Mullen will be entering his third year as head coach for the Gators with a 21-5 record, and Lane Kiffin will be entering his first year. Florida is 11-12-1 against Ole Miss all-time, but is 5-2 in all games played in Oxford. The last time Florida and Ole Miss met in a season opener was in 1948, a 14-0 victory for the Rebels. This is the second time Lane Kiffin will face off against the Gators, with the last time being as Tennessee head coach in a 13-23 loss. The last few games have been split by both teams:
  • 2015 Florida 38, Ole Miss 10
  • 2008 Ole Miss 31, Florida 30
  • 2007 Florida 30, Ole Miss 24
The Rebels will play both John Rhys Plumlee (SO) and former Gator commit Matt Coral (RSO). Plumlee is a dangerous runner that Dan Mullen says is faster than any member of the Gator team, so the Gators will need to contain him while respecting his improving passing skills. Lane Kiffin rejoins the SEC as the 39th coach in Ole Miss history. Kiffin won two Conference USA titles in three seasons at FAU and propelled the team to the top of the offensive statistical rankings. The Ole Miss co-defensive coordinator, DJ Durkin, will be somewhat familiar with Florida speed, having been a special teams coach and defensive coordinator for the Gators from 2010-2014. Durkin and Mullen did not coach together at Florida, but they did coach together at Bowling Green from 2001-2002. The following Rebels are players to watch, including 6 preseason All-SEC:
  • Ben Brown: Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
  • Mac Brown: Wuerffel Trophy, Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
  • Jerrion Ealy: Doak Walker Award Watch List, Paul Hornung Award Watch List, Preseason All-SEC (First Team [All-Purpose]), Preseason All-SEC (Second Team [All-Purpose, KR]), Preseason All-SEC (Third Team [RB, All-Purpose])
  • Lakia Henry: Butkus Award Watch List, Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Elijah Moore: Biletnikoff Award Watch List, Preseason All-SEC (Second Team)
  • Royce Newman: Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Jack Propst: Preseason All-SEC (Second Team)
  • MoMo Sanogo: Preseason All-SEC (Fourth Team)
  • Tariqious Tisdale: Reese's Senior Bowl Top 250
  • Sam Williams: Preseason All-SEC (Third Team)
WR Elijah Moore (JR) will challenge Florida DBU claim as the Rebels' Biletnikoff Award Watch List receiver and Preseason All-SEC receiver. RB Jerrion Ealy (SO) and QB John Rhys Plumlee (SO) will both test Florida's linebacker corps early in order to open up passing lanes for Lane Kiffin's passing attack. Whether Coral or Plumlee are under center, they can generally trust OG Ben Brown (JR) and OC Eli Johnson (SR) to keep the Gator's havoc-inducing defense at bay.

On defense, DE/LB Sam Williams (SR) is the leading hybrid edge rusher. LB Jacques Jones (JR), LB Lakia Henry (SR), DE Tariqious Tisdale (SR), and S John Haynes (SR) are the stars on a defense that can only improve under Chris Partridge and DJ Durkin. Both of the defensive coordinators are excellent recruiters, so expect plenty of freshmen to step up quickly.

The Gators return 11 Preseason All-SEC athletes:
  • TE Kyle Pitts, Florida (First Team)
  • QB Kyle Trask, Florida (Second Team)
  • AP Kadarius Toney, Florida (Second Team)
  • CB Kaiir Elam, Florida (Second Team)
  • DL Zachary Carter, Florida (Third Team)
  • CB Marco Wilson, Florida (Third Team)
  • S Shawn Davis, Florida (Third Team)
  • K Evan McPherson, Florida (Third Team)
  • WR Trevon Grimes, Florida (Third Team)
  • OL Stewart Reese, Florida (Third Team, transfer from Mississippi State)
  • DL TJ Slaton, Florida (Fourth Team)
In a year where anything is possible, this game will be a first look at how well each of the teams has adapted to the unique circumstances surrounding the season. The Gators have the advantage of coming off a largely successful 2019 season and a lot of continuity. Neither team is reporting positive cases of COVID-19, but anything can change as tests are administered up to game day. Barring any COVID outbreak, I expect this game to be rather sloppy with the Gators pulling off a win. I do not expect the Gators to cover the spread or the points. I predict a low-scoring affair, 24-14, Gators.
Yep...Considering the “revised”, “straight on INTO it” schedule, as good an opener (as in “EYE-opener”—as in “let’s see what we got” kind of opponent: NOT the elite but definitely an attention getter, “on the come”)...There’s no way of really knowing what “the spread” should even BE—except in the limited, literal way it is determined in the FIRST place:
How bettors actually “put their money where their mouths are”!
IF we’re as good as we “SHOULD” be, IF we are still fairly healthy come Saturday, I trust our players talent and our staff to have them ready. We should win it—no guarantees, but overall we are further ahead AS A PROGRAM. But as for BY HOW MUCH—well, given all the unknowns at the start of ANY season, and this of ALL OF THEM, I’ll absolutely TAKE a steady, if fairly close (not much more than a TD?) win.
The kind that a good coaching staff can use to IMPROVE from the first game to the second!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shoot. I was up before DAWN, wide awake and warning friends by text not to expect much in the way of “tight feedback anywhere BUT here, on “our site”...but THIS is “LongHorn Country” (they’re playing Texas Tech later), their interests lie elsewhere, and I likely won’t be talking to ANYONE BUT YOU GUYS until later, MUCH later...
So seeing/noticing/accepting all that, I’m streaming College Football Gameday through Sling on Prime in the background here while checking out all the different “access feeds” I currently have (it has changed pretty radically AGAIN SINCE LAST YEAR—which had changed pretty greatly since the year before THAT...I GET more different choices, but it’s more expensive TOO!!!
I get sick of it all. Don’t get me started: I NEED to do a complete “clean out” and START OVER TRULY “CLEAN”, start AFRESH!!!
But meanwhile, I gotta be careful NOT to lose anything NOW—Lose anything “vital” just as the 2020 season, and our Gator SEC opener, is about to get under way...
In fact, gonna go and do a CAREFUL CHECK and inventory my streaming access and choices with the setup available to me “quick and easy RIGHT NOW”...
“See” y’all here in about an hour...
Go Gators!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The o/u fluctuates between 52 and 57. I say take the under and bet the Gators win 32-14 in a sloppy game on a potentially sloppy field.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Am currently watching SEC Network and “SEC Nation”—and though waiting to hear what Tebow had to say, I am about to switch away from what has become basically just one long WARNING/hype-up as to “what Lane Kiffen brings to this Ol’ Miss team” and “what he’ll be able to do with these two young QBs!”...Sure enough, they managed to apparently burn up all of the time originally set aside for TT to COUNTERPOINT with them with what Mullens and TRASK bring...ok:FINALLY they have come back with a LITTLE “TIME for TEBOW”...He talks about his WORK-OUTS with Kyle, makes an early case for his potential “HEISMANN Candidacy”...but all in all, this is the kind of “get-it-IN-NOW” lead-up blah-blah that gets harder and harder to sit still for the closer the first kick-off gets.
At THIS POINT, I am barely ready for just the FACTS, ma’am—as in, “JUST THE GAME”!
Personally, I am ready to JUST GET TO IT! I don’t WANT to hear what a bunch of guys who don’t know anymore than I do flap their jaws about!
Teams are out on either end of field there now;
Just show us THAT on a split-screen, damnit! And shut the f UP, meanwhile.
Be a big IMPROVEMENT, believe me!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Consider this an “across the board “Like”, “Reply”, and general acknowledgement/appreciation of ALL the various Gator alum/former stars whose cheers of support at our SEC opener’s pending Kick-off have been relayed to us here by YOU, E—.
You gotta believe Lane will TRY to batter us early and often. I’m not so sure this isn’t one where, if you win the coin toss, you DON’T “defer to the 2nd half” this time but rather TAKE THE BALL, a la Spurrier, and IMMEDIATELY, aggressively go to grab for the early lead:
That may CERTAINLY be Kiffen’s approach there at home; of course, we probably have more choices, more versatility in that regard...It may be that it is our superior defense that makes the difference in this one, and an early over reach on their part COULD lead to us shutting them down and beginning to pull away FROM THE START.
Would love to see a steady, dominant, balanced performance beginning-to-end here to start the year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So here we go. I like this “step aside, take a moment to acknowledge the very real problems at hand historically and presently in America”...
Florida DID win coin toss, DID “defer to 2nd half”—and Rebels immed year off 9 yards—but nothing on 2nd. Tempo up. 3rd and 1. Confusion.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You can see already: Mullens/Grantham looking to our D yo set the tone.,,

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damn. Thought we had that sussed.
QB to QB. Oh oh. So far, this weird offense has us on our heels. We need a turnover, I’m afraid. GOOD. A loss on first down, finally.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damn—they will call this targeting.
Yep, we’re gonna lose Davis here.
When will they learn??? You can’t DO that anymore!
Don’t like the way this is headed:
That play there was the turning point early, I’m afraid: He avoids that hit, it’s third and long, the drive likely about to end—but now, it goes on, and we are down our Senior safety!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We are in trouble back there now: we get the ball back now, but we were already DOWN a Senior Safety...Now the backup freshman has to step up!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
THAT is how you defend that deep pass WITHOUT targeting. But Kyle finds Pitts for the long first down.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Alright, we are up and down so far—pretty well to be expected. but now it’s 3rd and long, probably played Carefully by Mullens and Co...Flag in the secondary—ANOTHER first to Pitts.
If we can get the lead here, pressure started to build on Kiffen and his two athletic QBs...I’m starting to think maybe he doesn’t HAVE much else...
DAMN! Shoukda been a TD!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema