• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 3: #11 Florida Gators 29, #1 Alabama Crimson Tide 31, 9/18/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
@Leakfan12 I would say this was EJ5’s best day running, but his passer rating was 113 for the game. At one point it was right at 100. His average for the season is around 107. Opposing defenses will start to key in on the lack of a passing threat and make it hard for anyone to run.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ball game. Yes, it is a moral victory, but the Gators out gained the Tide and still lost. The missed tackles definitely hurt. Alabama had the most penalties I have seen from a Saban team in over a decade, which means the noise from the Swamp did make a difference. The MVPs are the 90,887 fans who showed up in what some are saying was the loudest the Swamp has been over four quarters in a very long time. That was the largest crowd under Dan Mullen and the fifth largest all-time. The Gators held Bama to under 100 yards rushing and outgained them by 100 yards overall. Anthony Richardson’s absence really was felt here. Ventrell Miller’s absence was ameliorated by Jeremiah Moon and others stepping up to keep the Tide under 100 yards rushing. It sucks losing at home, but this was a good game after the 1st quarter. Go Gators!
No doubt about it: As it turned out I was NOT all down and bummed afterwards—as I was sure I would be by late in that first half...almost certainly WOULD HAVE BEEN had it all continued as it certainly appeared at THAT point.
But NO: Jones sucked it up, played better (even threw better some of the time—But he’ll have to be more consistently accurate to remain the supposed “experienced starting-QB” throughout the season). However, like you, I remain convinced that having AR an active participant might well have made the DIFFERENCE in this one...Given his already proven skills, that isn’t even a particularly strident or excessively “theoretical assumption”. I mean. just ONE of his explosive sudden breakout plays would have changed the final score—and quite possibly made it STICK.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emory Jones probably had his best game of the season. If the Gators got that extra point or the two-point conversation, the game would have gone to overtime. I think Jones could have gone in running in the outside but he held on to the damn ball too long (again). The D let the team down again. Three third-down conversations of 8+ yards that Bama TD drive in the third quarter is not good especially when the DB (forget who) tackled the Bama receiver for a pass inference. I thought Marco Wilson was in the NFL? Also, the pass inference in the Bama FG drive was questionable actually I'll say, it shouldn't have been called. I know I'm biased.
Agree with you right down the line:
DAMN! “Woulda/shoulda/coulda”!!!
The way things turned and went for us in the 2nd half, we DEFINITELY had chances to pull this one out after all!
But at this point, for a lot of reasons, I suppose, I don’t feel NEAR as bad about it all as I thought I might if it DID turn out this way. We are better than I (or most anyone ELSE out there) THOUGHT we were, and I THINK we’ll find, in the aftermath (tonight and beyond), that all our hopes, dreams, goals and possibilities are still out there and sustainable now after all.
I was even able to share Longhorn friends’ watch party for their Rice game—first by phone/laptop, then on with some of them to a local watering hole to watch, nurse a few pitchers and play some darts. It’s a sign of my finding a certain relaxed “peace” in OUR game that I could even consider joining in and DOING all that.
And by the way: Judging by THEIR attitude and comments regarding impressions of us, Bama and not just the final result but how they see US, and their assumptions about how I’d be feeling AFTER that one (and they KNOW how strongly I support our Gators!), well, I have a feeling we won’t be losing much ground, if ANY, in those various “official rankings” the coming week—regardless of the sponsors or voting standard.
I could be wrong, but if our team can stay balanced, sharp, focused and relatively healthy, we’ll move UP, grow stronger, possibly even WIN OUT and get ourselves a RE-MATCH with the Tide in December!
THEN we’ll see.
So: Bad as things may have seemed by the second quarter, I am settling in back at home now and about to watch some of the late-game action AND the Scoreboard shows (which at one point earlier today was SURE I WOULDN’T be the slightest bit interested in having on anywhere in my vicinity), our general “college football interests” still mainly intact...It’s “GREAT to be a Florida Gator” still after all...
And LOOK:
There’s a documentary on REELZ coming up later, a biography of Tom Petty called “Won’t Back Down”. Nicely timed, no? Long as I’m awake, that’ll be on at my house.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Leakfan12 I would say this was EJ5’s best day running, but his passer rating was 113 for the game. At one point it was right at 100. His average for the season is around 107. Opposing defenses will start to key in on the lack of a passing threat and make it hard for anyone to run.
Oh, he (Jones) has GOT to sharpen up, get more loosely yet reliably accurate in his throws—and it has to come soon: Next start, in fact. He has the chops: we’ve SEEN them...So far they just seem to come and go.
No matter what, it is my view that one way or another, long as AR stays healthy and continues to learn and grow HIMSELF, unless Emory proceeds to now blossom into the complete, whole-game possessing star in full mastery of Mullen’s whole playbook, this HAS to be Emory Jones’ last season as Gator QB1.
Otherwise after this, he is either ready to enter the Draft, move on, or for whatever reasons (his OWN “health setbacks”?) entering NEXT season is himself then the backup...
For now, all we can do is hope for the best; Sit back, watch and see what in fact transpires. Anyway, WE don’t know MULLEN’S exact view or plan for either, this season or beyond.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The only big challenge left in the schedule is Georgia and maybe LSU who beating the S--T out of a certain ex-Gator coach. Mizzou mostly because of the weather. It could be cold there.
Hmm. “The weather...”
I forgot about that. But overall, I guess I expect for all that to more or less even out over a season.
In the end, I now am becoming more comfortably convinced that we at the very LEAST have the tools, the people and parts that will allow us to well-compete with, meet and BEAT anyone on our schedule—ultimately ANYONE OUT THERE!
Maybe THAT’s why I came away from that otherwise trying game-watching experience with such an essentially relaxed and POSITIVE feeling and overall P.O.V.
Sitting in “The Rusty Cannon” in my BLACKOUT GATOR T (sort of a blacklight-dayglow-paint-on-velvet take on the “Fightin’ Gator logo T”—my ex-wife picked it up at Florida Field’s “Stadium Store”, gave it to me as a birthday present last year) surrounded by mostly Longhorn fans while they watched THEIR game in the aftermath of ours (which, given today’s broadcast timing, many of them had watched, or at least followed and were aware of its outcome and implications), I found I was getting a lot of “congratulations“ this time—a reaction I found myself modestly fending off—and NOT just in some fleeting demonstration of “grace”, but because I really FELT that way—that as Gators WE really go into these games and SEASONS aiming for “CHAMPIONSHIPS, OR NOTHING AT ALL”...NOT some “consoling level of ALMOST good-enough”!
I don’t (and didn’t) wanna sound arrogant, but that IS how I (WE, right?) see it!
Fortunately, the guys I was with know me and understand.
So all told, beginning to end it wasn’t a BAD day after all...
Hope y’all see and feel it pretty well the same way...
...and now, here’s hoping you TOO are able to relax and fall OUT: “SLEEP WELL, oh my brothers!”

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The only big challenge left in the schedule is Georgia and maybe LSU who beating the S--T out of a certain ex-Gator coach. Mizzou mostly because of the weather. It could be cold there.
Hmm. “The weather...”
I forgot about that. But overall, I guess I expect for all that to more or less even out over a season.
In the end, I now am becoming more comfortably convinced that we at the very LEAST have the tools, the people and parts that will allow us to well-compete with, meet and BEAT anyone on our schedule—ultimately ANYONE OUT THERE!
Maybe THAT’s why I came away from that otherwise trying game-watching experience with such an essentially relaxed and POSITIVE feeling and overall P.O.V.
Sitting in “The Rusty Cannon” in my BLACKOUT GATOR T (sort of a blacklight-dayglow-paint-on-velvet take on the “Fightin’ Gator logo T”—my ex-wife picked it up at Florida Field’s “Stadium Store”, gave it to me as a birthday present last year) surrounded by mostly Longhorn fans while they watched THEIR game in the aftermath of ours (which, given today’s broadcast timing, many of them had watched, or at least followed and were aware of its outcome and implications), I found I was getting a lot of “congratulations“ this time—a reaction I found myself modestly fending off—and NOT just in some fleeting demonstration of “grace”, but because I really FELT that way—that as Gators WE really go into these games and SEASONS aiming for “CHAMPIONSHIPS, OR NOTHING AT ALL”...NOT some “consoling level of ALMOST good-enough”!
I don’t (and didn’t) wanna sound arrogant, but that IS how I (WE, right?) see it!
Fortunately, the guys I was with know me and understand.
So all told, beginning to end it wasn’t a BAD day after all...
Hope y’all see and feel it pretty well the same way...
...and now, here’s hoping you TOO are able to relax and fall OUT: “SLEEP WELL, oh my brothers!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema