• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 2: #13 Florida Gators 42, USF Bulls 20, 9/11/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

The Florida Gators will wear patriotic uniforms to honor the sacrifice that first responders made in response to the 9/11/2001 attacks. This weekend will mark the 20th anniversary of the deadly attack. The 1-0 Gators will travel to Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, Florida and take on in-state rival 0-1 USF Bulls. The Gators are coming off a 35-14 tune-up victory over the FAU Owls. The Bulls are coming off a 0-45 thrashing at the hands of the NC State Wolfpack. The Gators are 1-0 against the Bulls, with their only previous meeting being a 38-14 victory for the Gators--the final season under coach Urban Meyer. Florida is favored by 28.5 and the over/under is at 58.5.

The USF Bulls are led by first-time head coach Jeff Scott, who spent the past decade at Clemson as a wide receiver coach and co-offensive coordinator. Scott is 1-9 all-time as head coach at USF. The USF offensive coordinator is Charlie Weis, Jr.. Weis got into coaching in 2011 as an offensive quality control analyst under Florida Gator offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. Weis spent the past decade as team manager for his father's Kansas football team, offensive analyst at Alabama, offensive analyst for the Atlanta Falcons, and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the FAU Owls before joining the USF staff. The defensive coordinator is Glenn Spencer, who has been coaching since 1990. There really are no players to watch for at USF, but here are the players to watch:
- QB 9 Timmy McClain 6'1" 196, FR, Sanford, FL (Seminole HS)
- QB 12 Katravis Marsh 6'5" 226, SO, Hialeah, FL (Miami Central HS)
- RB 0 J. Mangham 6'2" 221, JR, Detroit, MI (Cass Tech/ Colorado)
- QB 6 Cade Fortin 6/3" 221, SO, Suwanee, GA (North Gwinnett HS)
- RB 2 Darrian Felix 5'11", SR, Fort Myers, FL (Fort Myers HS/ Oregon)

The Gators are led by Dan Mullen, who will be seeking his 100th victory this weekend. He is 99-54 as head coach at Mississippi State and Florida, 30-9 in his current position at Florida. The Gators are built to run--at least that is where they have the most depth at running back and quarterback, and this is where they shined against FAU. The Gators should have 200 yards passing by halftime, but this will also be the last opportunity to tweak the passing game before facing Alabama next week. Keep an eye on the following Gators on offense:
QB
  1. RSO QB 5 Emory Jones 6-3 200 Heard County HS Franklin, GA. 4-star.
  2. FR QB 15 Anthony Richardson 6-4 213 Eastside HS. Gainesville, FL 4-star
RB
  1. JR RB 27 Dameon Pierce 5-11 210 Bainbridge HS. Bainbridge, GA. 4-star
  2. RJR RB 20 Malik Davis 5-11 190 Jesuit Tampa FL. 4-star.
  3. RFR RB 6 Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 188. Carol City HS, Miami, FL 4-star.
  4. TR-RSO RB Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 190 of University of Miami by way of University High School, Orange City, FL. 5-star.
WR-X (Flex/Split)
  1. RJR 1 WR Jacob Copeland 6-1 181 Escambia HS, Pensacola, FL 4-star.
  2. SO 3 WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3.5 190 Columbus HS, Miami, FL 4-star.
WR-Z (Flanker)
  1. TR-SO. WR 4 Justin Shorter 6-4 226 of Penn State University by way of South Brunswick High School, Monmouth Junction, NJ. Former 5*.
  2. RSO WR/ATH Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 195. Clewiston HS. Clewiston, FL 3-star.
WR-Y/H
  1. RSO WR/DB Trent Whittemore 6-3 185. Bucholz HS. Gainesville FL. 3-star.
  2. RSR WR Rick Wells 6-1 185 Raines HS, Jacksonville FL. 3-star.
TE/WR-Y
  1. RJR TE Kemore Gamble 6'4" 220 Miami Southridge Miami FL. 4-star.
  2. SO TE Keon Zipperer. 6-2 240. Lakeland HS. Lakeland, FL 4-star.
The Gators should roll by a score of 48-10, but there is a possibility that Dan Mullen will use the game as a scrimmage for younger players ahead of the Alabama game so the score could end up 27-14.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for the above, E—:
Much appreciated, as always.
As for viewing the game, I got an email from the local UF Alumni Association ( Austin, TX) inviting me to their new “Official Watch Party Site” out in Delle Valley just east of town (out by the Airport). I may just make it out there—if not this week then maybe for NEXT WEEK’S “Big One” vs Bama! I’ll make that decision in the morning...and fill in more info on the site itself, along with further info on their enthusiastic plans for bringing in Gators and giving them a fun and rowdy place to convene on Saturdays.
For now, watching the strange Friday night slate of college games while mostly just frittering away the usual “Gator’s Eve” stomach yips...
Geez! If I’m this nervy just for a game against USF—I mean, dude, our first road game, this one against a Bulls team that just a few years back was looking better than WE were when they had Charlie at the helm and we still had MacCrap, well, I may just be climbing WALLS by next Friday night.
I’m not sure whether a great and promising overall performance by our guys tomorrow will make how we feel going into the NEXT one better or WORSE, really, if you know what I mean. That’s the thing about returning to theoretically “more elite” status: The better we get, the more is at stake—and the more we all feel we have to lose.
Of course we accept that, long to “be BACK”, but with potential for “joy” also comes the danger of greater “pain”. Still, on balance, we’ll TAKE that risk...
RIGHT?!!
(And speaking of “happier days” mixed with eventual pain, did y’all note the news of Urban Meyer’s comments out of Jacksonville earlier this eeek, where (among other things) he professed great “regret” at “the way I ended my employment and association with the University of Florida”...
He goes on to note specific aspects of that process and his specific “regrets”, noting that he “will always consider myself a Gator” (!), that he and his family loved their time here and how it played a part in his eventually choosing to accept the Jacksonville job, having the opportunity in the g GH rust place, etc.
I’m not gonna go on some rancorous diatribe here; he HURT us in the way he did what he did—and I DON’T mean just emotionally: FACT is, his back door maneuvers at the time did practical damage to our program that played a part in our immediate slide AND a decade-long period in the relative “college football wilderness”.
But OK—I’ve said more than enough; certainly more than I intended...For the most part I am ready to let it go, leave it all behind, even begin the process of welcoming him back into “the fold”, if that’s what he really wants.
Died-in-the-wool Gators like Tebow and Spurrier, plus a number of others who likewise have walked their OWN “rough roads” out of Gator Town, and eventually back, have apparently let bygones be bygones; why should I not TRY to do the same? As we return to the top we can expect to see more and more old- and Ex-Gators showing up at games and functions. Some would call it “sort of the reverse of rats deserting the sinking ship”. But not me. (LOL) No, I’d rather just see it all as “one more good sign that we are on the right path after all”.
GO GATORS!!!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am not nervous about this game at all. Mullen will treat this like a preseason game just as he did last week. Instead of flexing on an outmatched opponent he will run as many backups as possible in a road game. At last week’s home game he was able to roll in most of the 105 scholarship and walk-on athletes. At an away game he can only bring 70 athletes at most.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not nervous about this game at all. Mullen will treat this like a preseason game just as he did last week. Instead of flexing on an outmatched opponent he will run as many backups as possible in a road game. At last week’s home game he was able to roll in most of the 105 scholarship and walk-on athletes. At an away game he can only bring 70 athletes at most.
I’ve learned NOT to second-guess a good Coach like Mullens: He knows more about putting together then fully preparing a successful program than I’ll ever even imagine...But then again, I think he still has work to do bringing this one up to envisioned potential. That will take more specific situational experimentation and development this week in consideration and lead-up to NEXT week’s game.
To what degree BOTH can be more efficiently accomplished is probably the question and aim. Should be interesting to watch—I just hope we are in confortable enough position to be that objective!
Meanwhile, I have a friend’s birthday get together to be enthusiastically present at later—and the idea of grabbing him up and taking him to a Gator watch party (he’s a Horns fan) with my being the “designated driver” and provider-of-pitchers for HIM was admittedly a fairly transparent dodge on my part, I had to finally concede... He KNOWS I’ll be WATCHING the game and participating HERE at least, regardless—so the present plan is to forego this week’s shindig out at Beltin Acres Del Valley, watch our game in a corner of the place he likes to hang with his Longhorn compadres (I’m promised a screen in the corner with the Gator/ABC feed on a screen of it’s own—sound may be another issue entirely)...though at the moment the realization of the difference in starting times may well render this whole discussion mostly moot. It’ll get worked out/IS “getting worked out” even as I am relaying it to y’all now—but drinking has already ensued, so who knows?
Never mind, here comes OUR game—and the GATOR FAN in me is taking over, kicking in with a flood of excited confidence: Would LOVE to see us start fast and strong, take control and ALLOW the Coaches to “turn ‘em loose” and run the whole squad out there over the course of the second half. Get “the work” done, then turn to preparing for NEXT week’s opponent.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh oh. Emory broke to his right too early, wasn’t balanced on his feet when he attempted the resultingly poor throw.
We might need the “improved?” defense in order to keep us even early.
And yes, sack on 3rd down saves us.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emory gets one more series to pull it together, I figure...Then AR15 is slated to come in as per plan—and if HE performs well, THEN WHAT?
Here comes “something OTHER than” what we hoped for this season, I fear, after all..

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We’ve seen this before, I’m afraid—back during all those post-Meter/pre-Mullens “years-in-the-wilderness”, when we had a procession of supposedly-talented but somehow NOT-measuring-up QBs...
But Emory and the offense seems to have clicked on this possession so far: We are driving...
And it’s Pierce driving it into the end zone!
EASY drive right down the field. THAT’S mire like it: All the advertised strongpoints on this edition of the Gator offense on display on that March.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Whew! What a relief!
For the first time in a while I’m getting that “We can PLAY!”-feeling.
Now the D has to stay aggressive, in control, allow the offense to play off of THEIR strength. With our running game, that’s a formula for eventual domination. Gotta control the line of scrimmage BOTH ways, though.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It I do NOT like these missed plays and missed tackles.
This USF offense should NOT be able to do this to us.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damnit! Same old porous D.
They are driving on US now.
I am already sick of Grantham and his weak-ass defenses.
The guy has no answers—and it will cost us a season if this continues.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I’ve already seen enough.
Against THIS offense, this is just a terrible performance.
Even if they don’t score here, I think the point is already made:
“Coach, you’re too loyal...Grantham is in over his head, and though we’ll “win” this game, it all amounts to an illusion—and next week the carriage turns back into a pumpkin (and there’ll BE no “slipper”, girls).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I find it enormously disappointing how poorly this defense has responded here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema