• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 1: #13 Florida Gators 35, FAU Owls 14, 9/4/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Overview
The Florida Gators will open the 2021 season by hosting the FAU Owls in the Swamp on Saturday, September 4, 2021. The Gators are favored by 24 points, and the over/under is at 52 points. The Gators are 3-0 all time against the Owls after posting the following scores (all in Gainesville):
  • 11/21/2015, 20-14
  • 9/3/2011, 41-3
  • 11/17/2007, 59-20
Depth chart

Offense

QB: Emory Jones, Anthony Richardson
RB: Dameon Pierce OR Malik Davis, Nay’Quan Wright
TE: Keymore Gamble, Keon Zipperer
WR (X): Jacob Copeland, Xzavier Henderson
WR (Z): Justin Shorter, Ja’Markis Weston
WR (Y): Trent Whittemore, Rick Wells

LT: Richard Gouraige, Gerald Mincey
LG: Ethan White, Will Harrod
C: Kingsley Eguakun, Richie Leonard
RG: Stewart Reese, Josh Braun
RT: Jean DeLance, Michael Tarquin

Defense

DE: Zachary Carter, Princely Umanmielen OR Dante (Lang) Zanders
NT: Antonio Valentino, Gervon Dexter
DT: Daquan Newkirk, Jalen Lee
Buck: Brenton Cox Jr. OR Jeremiah Moon, Khris Bogle
MLB: Ventrell Miller, Mohamoud Diabate
MLB: Amari Burney, Ty’Ron Hopper

CB: Kaiir Elam, Jason Marshall, Jr.
CB: Avery Helm, Elijah Blades
Star: Tre’vez Johnson, Jadarrius Perkins
S: Rashad Torrence II, Donovan McMillion
S: Trey Dean III, Mordecai McDaniel

History
The Gators have the longest-active home-opener winning streak in the FBS with 31 straight wins. Their last home opener loss was a 19-24 score against Ole Miss in 1989.

Florida is 345-110-13 (.751) all-time at The Swamp, and has the second-highest home winning percentage in the nation since 1990 (164-31, .841). UF has outscored opponents 37.8-15.8 on average (+22.0) since 1990.

#13 Florida has been ranked inside the preseason top 25 in five out of the last six years, thanks to the Dan Mullen resurgence.

FAU head backpack coach Willie Taggart is 0-2 vs. the Gators, falling by scores of 40-17 and 41-14 when he was head backpack coach at FSU. The Owls do have the advantage of returning most of their starters, but the team is ranked number 69 in the nation in terms of talent compared to Florida and their number 15-ranked team in terms of talent.

Prediction
I expect a sloppy game from the Gators, but it will be a win nonetheless. My prediction: Florida Gators 45, FAU Owls 32.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Florida Gators will open the 2021 season by hosting the FAU Owls in the Swamp on Saturday, September 4, 2021. The Gators are favored by 24 points, and the over/under is at 52 points. The Gators are 3-0 all time against the Owls after posting the following scores (all in Gainesville):
  • 11/21/2015, 20-14
  • 9/3/2011, 41-3
  • 11/17/2007, 59-20

FAU head backpack coach Willie Taggart is 0-2 vs. the Gators, falling by scores of 40-17 and 41-14 when he was head backpack coach at FSU. The Owls do have the advantage of returning most of their starters, but the team is ranked number 69 in the nation in terms of talent compared to Florida and their number 15-ranked team in terms of talent.

I expect a sloppy game from the Gators, but it will be a win nonetheless. My prediction: Florida Gators 45, FAU Owls 32.
Hope you’re wrong about them scoring THAT much on us, E-;
If our defense is indeed still that “sloppy”, it will bode ill for the season ahead, in my view.
Like to see us limit them to 20points, max. Grantham and his squad have a lot to prove early, after all. Am afraid you may well be right, though...I suppose I am counting on this team surprising me (and everyone ELSE) by coming out strong and steadily coming on game by game in September and beyond.
We are at the crossroads; We don’t HAVE to “win it all” this season—but I think we DO have to pull some big, surprises, get to at least 10 wins in the regular season if we are to find ourselves continuing our rise.

Escambia94

I hope I am wrong and the score is closer to 45-10. Like many Gator fans, I am not sold on Grantham's defense.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I hope I am wrong and the score is closer to 45-10. Like many Gator fans, I am not sold on Grantham's defense.

It depends on how the D is. I don't know the talent on FAU is. I know FAU's offense will be up-tempo (their coach was also the USF coach some years ago). The same with USF.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
If the Gators win comfortably, they could be in the top 10 (at least 11th), North Carolina (10th) and Wisconsin (12th) lost and 11th Oregon only won by a touchdown.

Escambia94

The Gators are showing flashes of brilliance, but two boneheaded plays in the red zone highlight some issues that need to be cleaned up.

Attachments

• 50F3F723-FAA9-408D-9F9A-D5F51CDE371E.jpeg
    50F3F723-FAA9-408D-9F9A-D5F51CDE371E.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 100

Escambia94

The Gators showed a mix of good and bad plays today. The first half defense was actually good. The second half defense was not as sharp, but there were a bunch of new players on the field. EJ5 looked sharp in the beginning. AR15 looked sharp throughout the game. It is hard to tell what this team’s trajectory is based on this game, since Mullen used this game as a preseason warmup.

Attachments

• C8D5E34F-E7EE-4ADF-9B36-8DD4A6DF971A.jpeg
    C8D5E34F-E7EE-4ADF-9B36-8DD4A6DF971A.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 98

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The first two drives were good. I had questions about AR15 being there on the third drive though he leading a good drive before the FAU stripped him of his helmet (that should be a penalty). Then Jones came back a threw an interception. Gators left points on the board. Defense it was bent don't break. Also, should I say QB controversy? Too soon? I believe both guys will be next week. USF sucks, their game against the Wolfpack proved it and it would be a bit of a home game for the Gators in Tampa.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Somehow missed all this...THOUGHT I was alone here: See my in-game posts under “GameDay Numero Uno—2021”, if interested...I am too tired and generally disappointed/worn out to RErehash!
Basic take: Emory a real disappointment after those first two possessions—I mean, he DEvolved BEFORE OUR EYES most of the rest of the way, while Anthony Richardson proceeded to come on...to the point where I truly saw all signs of a true “changing of the guard” at QB-1. He dazzled everyone: The studio guys were all asking “how do you keep this kid off the field, going forward?!” He out ran, out three, out led and overall out-performed the anointed starter Jones in every way. By the tike he kept over a DB’s head on the way to another one of his impressive 4th quarter runs, the crowd AND the commentators were overwhelmed.
Meanwhile, until the last 5minutes or so when the younger players and backups got more playing time and proceeded to pile up the selfish, dumbass unforced errors that have them repeated 2nd and third chances, for most of the game before all that Grantham’s D actually kept things under control, were the squad keeping the clamps on, shutting them down, generally saving out butts.
So there were a number of good signs, the very kinds of things we were HOPING to see on BOTH sides of the ball...but in the end, on the whole we still have some major questions.
And it a whole lot of time nor opportunities to get them answered and practically apply what is learned, as a result.
This isn’t going to be “The season we return to the very elite”, after all...In fact, we are still “at the crossroads”, the season where presumably we either turn to that final uphill run to that status, or the one where we FAIL to do so, somehow spectacularly do NOT “grab the ring” after all—where we are publicly beaten by teams with a little more talent and coherence.
Right this moment, I see a Gator team that COULD win 10 games in the regular season—as far as “Championships” and/or the current CFB Playoff format is concerned though “CLOSE—But no cigar!”. No trophy. And THAT seems the BEST case scenario, at least based on “opening week” performances just witnessed.
What do Y’ALL think?
What ABOUT A.R.’s performance—and what about Emory’s??? There may be some delicate maneuvers to be considered, important decisions to be made. How much raw data/accurate info have we just gathered? What does it all really tell us? More important, what do we DO about it all?
I am truly interested in other folks’ (hopefully objective and unemotional) takes on all of this. I am a loyal, supportive Gator fan who wants what is best for our hard-working, loyal Gator players who have stuck things out, done things “the right way”—AND above all what is best FOR OUR TEAM.
So. Whattaya THINK??!
One thing is certain: We NEED that “one true star” leading us at QB. We THOUGHT it was Emory Jones, though we’ve been HEARING about his supposedly “strong backup”, Anthony Richardson...
Tonight we saw a detailed, extended demo of BOTH young men, under the full range of pressure in a wide variety of situations.
I’d have to say that we saw many of Jones’ potential limits and work yet to be done, while at the same time we also saw a number of Richardson’s rumored great promise and freakishly talented upside.
There was a certain fire on offense out there when he was running things, the kind of “lightening in a bottle” we haven’t seen or felt since another “Number 15” was out there in charge of the Gator offense. I know that is going to influence me and any OTHER longtime Gator fan in a gut-level, emotional way—but no matter what, we gotta at least step back and consider, take another, closer look.
He just might BE “THAT GUY”!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The first two drives were good. I had questions about AR15 being there on the third drive though he leading a good drive before the FAU stripped him of his helmet (that should be a penalty). Then Jones came back a threw an interception. Gators left points on the board. Defense it was bent don't break. Also, should I say QB controversy? Too soon? I believe both guys will be next week. USF sucks, their game against the Wolfpack proved it and it would be a bit of a home game for the Gators in Tampa.
Damn straight—agree on everything you say, LF.
See my in-game comments here and elsewhere (I am still somewhat fumbling with the “new” set-up here at GE).
Although he consistently made disappointing, inexperienced underclassman-like errors, I still LIKE Emory Jones—but A.R. is clearly COMING ON STRONG now, at this point is already showing all signs of potentially being one of those dazzling “generational talents”.
The two young men went in two different directions when called upon last night; Emory stepped down, Anthony stepped UP!
It was really quite dramatic. More needs to be seen and tested intently from here, but with Bama coming up in 2 weeks we have got to get on it and at least HOPE to make an informed decision quickly—and no matter what Mullens claims with a microphone stuck in his face, there will be “a decision” to be made after all!
We are NOT “THERE” yet, but we do have a chance to make a positive move in that direction now after all, right here, right now. Given the right decisions, we MAY be about to “turn for home” in our quest to build an elite program at UF, right here right now after all.
It all potentially lies before us.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators showed a mix of good and bad plays today. The first half defense was actually good. The second half defense was not as sharp, but there were a bunch of new players on the field. EJ5 looked sharp in the beginning. AR15 looked sharp throughout the game. It is hard to tell what this team’s trajectory is based on this game, since Mullen used this game as a preseason warmup.
It’s Sunday, a classic “morning after” setting in and I wanna get a few thoughts down here—sort of a “first blush”/intentionally reactive impression:
Yes, we were sloppy. And I strongly agree with both your takes on the defense, first and second halves and the effect the backups and new comers had in that evident drop off (especially noteable on defense towards the END of the game, when they seemed to revert to last season’s selfish stupidity and lack of self-control in committing late-hits, etc...that was glaringly frustrating and disheartening after what HAD been until then a decent game-long performance by the Grantham defense).
But of course it is over on offense, at the quarterback position, where the obvious question and potential “Big Issue” is. Every program hopes for depth, ESPECIALLY at QB. Coming in, it looked and sounded as if we had two “good ones”, one groomed and ready to “step up and in” by our Coach, a recognized “Quarterback Whisperer”, and the other similarly skilled and only “slightly behind”, himself just some steady later-game series away from being in a similar position himself by the end of the season.
But no. After last night, call it what you like (clearly Mullens himself will continue to do all he can to avoid the dreaded “qb controversy” label—note his deft “...What?!! There’s no question: Emory’s the starting QB here...” when interviewed on the field at game’s end, though it was obvious that he was going to be asked that question, he knew it and was all ready with his answer and attitude).
But the question is out there and will likely only grow. It will have to be answered. It cannot be left just hanging there for too long; that can only cause more problems for the team as a whole. It is not just a matter of skill set. I wish it were. I wish we could just play them both and see who comes out the clear leader—but such a process at this point is fraught with danger. The closer the actual results of such competition are from here on, the more danger there is of polarization, an actual split in the locker room. Mullens knows that. He wants them BOTH—needs to figure out which gives them the best chance to win now WITHOUT messing with team chemistry.
In truth though it is much more subtly complicated than that. In a way, Mullens must consider first whether either guy can make enough of a difference to bring this team up to Championship-caliber NOW.
If not, then the issue changes for him as Head Coach:
If he can’t honestly see either guy taking them to the CFB playoff THIS season, then it becomes more a matter of “making do” with the status quo for now, keeping both AND keeping Richardson happy enough to stay and somehow build towards NEXT season, when presumably (one way or another) Emory will have moved on and A.R. will then lead a more complete and experienced (on BOTH sides of the ball) Gator squad in a true and realistic run for a Natty. Maybe Coach has come to that point in his thinking already.
That strikes me as a MUCH more realistic view of future Gator aspirations.
Did any of you honestly see the makings of a current Championship run in what transpired last night?
Sure, it’s early, but the MOST I could say in judgement and hope now would be “Well, there’s a lot of work to be done, and still clearly some spaces, missing pieces to be filled before we’ll be ready to reliably compete with the very best and regularly expect to come out ahead.
Above all, at this moment we STILL do not appear to have that “unquestioned leader and talent” under center...we’re still not even sure the “anointed starter” is the BEST ON THE TEAM. As I say, he may just be “the best for now, given the larger overall situation”
Don’t y’all think we better get THAT settled before we move on to a true assault on our “ultimate goals”? That’s certainly the way the Head Coach at an elite program has to approach such things.

Last edited:

Escambia94

Dan Mullen is a stubborn man, just like many college coaches. EJ5 looked like a Heisman candidate in his first two drives, but quite frankly he looked like crap after that. There are no excuses for a QB who has been in the system for three years. AR15 looked like Tim Tebow in his first few series, and then he looked like crap after that. At least with AR15 he can share some of the blame on the second and third string receivers. Is there a QB controversy? I do not think so. I would call it a controversy if AR15 had completed at least two of his last three passes that all hit the ground. It is apparent that EJ5 can execute the entire playbook, but AR15 needs to get the plays from the sideline. Many coaches say that AR15 is very intelligent, so he just needs time to learn the playbook as well as EJ5–or the team needs to get desperate and let AR15 run the limited playbook and sprinkle in some explosive plays.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Actually, I was lately thinking the same thing about AR:
That he might well have duly ignited that “QB controversy” had he hit at least one of those late bombs—especially that long one that dropped inches beyond the outstretched hands and fingers of a streaking, open Gator WR in full stride inside the 10 yd line. Oh well. He DIDN’T hit him, so we’ll never know. Still, the backup QB was working with the backup offense, and the Coach knows that too. If AR is as smart and picking things up as quick as they say, well, based on last night’s impressions I got a feeling a certain amount of the aforementioned “desperation” is potentially on its way in coming weeks...You’re right about what should be expected from EJ5 at this point, and if his work reflects more the post-1st quarter Jones rather than what we saw the first two series, Mullens’ pride and “stubbornness” will either have to be adjusted, or he, his team and ALL of US will pay a high and painful price.
Right now it does appear he may have been right in retaining Grantham, though, after all—so let us hope, if he indeed similarly holds form in now steadily backing Jones, it likewise pays off and this team continues to develop and improve...with TWO strong QBs on the roster, by the way.
That would sure seem to be by far the best of potential roads from here, at least for now.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is important to remember that Richardson is just a red shirt freshman, after all.
Even with people like Spurrier and Tebow lauding his “freakish talent” even before last night’s game, the “bigger picture” should remind us that, aside from whatever pressures actual events and results bring to bear in the weeks ahead, objectively speaking for the program itself there’s really “no huge rush” here. Ideally, we’d win NOW with EJ5, as planned and projected, and whatever bright future AR may lead us into can and hopefully will be permitted to develop in the fullness of time, right? That’s how it is done at the truly elite schools; witness Nick and co. up in Tuscaloosa.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Labor Day afternoon, and had stopped on Finebaum for a bit...Only to be reminded—and driven away once again—by a “typical Bama fan” loudly dismissing every other imagined fan of SEC programs for supposedly claiming “competitive” status with his beloved Tide... Look: in spite of myself I have grown to grant credit and respect to their Coach and program up there in Tuscaloosa. How can I NOT?!!
But hearing another one of their fans’ angry screeching diatribes is just like nails on glass—more than I can stomach. Even in Football season it will drive and KEEP me away from Finebaum’s show AT LEAST another month plus!
These folks sadly have no concept of “class”, let alone “grace in victory and excellence”.
Sure would LOVE to shut them up in a coupla weeks. Ah well...)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
It is important to remember that Richardson is just a red shirt freshman, after all.
Even with people like Spurrier and Tebow lauding his “freakish talent” even before last night’s game, the “bigger picture” should remind us that, aside from whatever pressures actual events and results bring to bear in the weeks ahead, objectively speaking for the program itself there’s really “no huge rush” here. Ideally, we’d win NOW with EJ5, as planned and projected, and whatever bright future AR may lead us into can and hopefully will be permitted to develop in the fullness of time, right? That’s how it is done at the truly elite schools; witness Nick and co. up in Tuscaloosa.

True though he was covered by the Netflix show QB1 (though don't know when they will air that season if it will). I'm sure having a camera crew follow you for months is big pressure.

Escambia94

Welcome to modern day football. If these kids want to collect millions of dollars of NIL money then they need to earn it. Go act like a f***ing professional straight out of camp. No excuses. There are no longer excuses for EJ5 and AR15 to perform like crap, and there are no more excuses for Mullen to treat them like kids. Demand better or sit them down. Otherwise I can go watch the NFL.

Escambia94

Statistics and grades:

Offense​

Quarterbacks: C+. Both quarterbacks balanced very good plays with very bad plays. The one who remains consistent will be the starter in week 4 after Alabama trounces the Gators in week 3.
Emory Jones 17/27 113 YD 1 TD 2 INT 56.6 RAT
Anthony Richardson 3/8 99 YD 99.9 RAT
RB: A+. The Gators might as well dedicate themselves to the run, because this is the strong point of the team.
Emory Jones 10 ATT 74 YD
Anthony Richardson 7 ATT 160 YD 1 TD
Dameon Pierce 6 ATT 32 YD 2 TD
Malik Davis 14 ATT 104 YD 1 TD
Nay’Quan Wright 3 ATT 5 YD
Demarckus Bowman 4 ATT 20 YD
Lorenzo Lingard 1 ATT 6 YD

Tight Ends: C. The tight ends were there. Maybe.
Keymore Gamble, Keon Zipperer

Wide Receivers: B+.
WR (X): C. The main receivers were rather quiet.
Jacob Copeland 1 REC 15 YD
Xzavier Henderson

WR (Z): A. The weak side receivers performed well.
Justin Shorter 4 REC 11 YD
Ja’Markis Weston 3 REC 44 YD

WR (Y): A. The slot receivers were rather explosive.
Trent Whittemore 1 REC 18 YD
Rick Wells 5 REC 36 YD 1 TD

Offensive Line: A. The line did not surrender and sacks, and the rushing game was on point

Defense​

Defensive Line: A. The DL earned 6 sacks and 6 TFL while wreaking havoc in the FAU backfield.
DE:
Zachary Carter
Princely Umanmielen
Dante (Lang) Zanders
NT:
Antonio Valentino
Gervon Dexter 2 FUM REC
DT:
Daquan Newkirk
Jalen Lee
Buck:
Brenton Cox Jr.
Jeremiah Moon
Khris Bogle

Linebackers: A. The Gators kept FAU’s rushing attack under 3 yards per attempt.
MLB:
Ventrell Miller
Mohamoud Diabate
MLB:
Amari Burney
Ty’Ron Hopper

Secondary: C. No interceptions. FAU’s crappy offense complete 66% of their passes for 8 yards per
CB:
Kaiir Elam
Jason Marshall, Jr. needs to watch the penalties
CB:
Avery Helm
Elijah Blades
Star
Tre’vez Johnson
Jadarrius Perkins
S:
Rashad Torrence II
Donovan McMillion
S:
Trey Dean III
Mordecai McDaniel

Special Teams: B.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Statistics and grades:

Offense​

QB: C+. Both quarterbacks balanced very good plays with very bad plays. The one who remains consistent will be the starter in week 4 after Alabama trounces the Gators in week 3.
Emory Jones 17/27 113 YD 1 TD 2 INT 56.6 RAT
Anthony Richardson 3/8 99 YD 99.9 RAT
RB: A+. The Gators might as well dedicate themselves to the run, because this is the strong point of the team.
Emory Jones 10 ATT 74 YD
Anthony Richardson 7 ATT 160 YD 1 TD
Dameon Pierce 6 ATT 32 YD 2 TD
Malik Davis 14 ATT 104 YD 1 TD
Nay’Quan Wright 3 ATT 5 YD
Demarckus Bowman 4 ATT 20 YD
Lorenzo Lingard 1 ATT 6 YD

TE: C. The tight ends were there. Maybe.
Keymore Gamble, Keon Zipperer

WR (X): C. The main receivers were rather quiet.
Jacob Copeland 1 REC 15 YD
Xzavier Henderson

WR (Z): A. The weak side receivers performed well.
Justin Shorter 4 REC 11 YD
Ja’Markis Weston 3 REC 44 YD

WR (Y): A. The slot receivers were rather
Trent Whittemore 1 REC 18 YD
Rick Wells 5 REC 36 YD 1 TD

OL: A. The line did not surrender and sacks, and the rushing game was on point

Defense​

DL: A. The DL earned 6 sacks and 6 TFL while wreaking havoc in the FAU backfield.
DE:
Zachary Carter
Princely Umanmielen
Dante (Lang) Zanders
NT:
Antonio Valentino
Gervon Dexter 2 FUM REC
DT:
Daquan Newkirk
Jalen Lee
Buck:
Brenton Cox Jr.
Jeremiah Moon
Khris Bogle

LB: The Gators kept FAU’s rushing attack under 3 yards per attempt.
MLB:
Ventrell Miller
Mohamoud Diabate
MLB:
Amari Burney
Ty’Ron Hopper

Secondary: C. No interceptions. FAU’s crappy offense complete 66% of their passes for 8 yards per
CB:
Kaiir Elam
Jason Marshall, Jr. needs to watch the penalties
CB:
Avery Helm
Elijah Blades
Star
Tre’vez Johnson
Jadarrius Perkins
S:
Rashad Torrence II
Donovan McMillion
S:
Trey Dean III
Mordecai McDaniel
So: Overall, a grade of “C with flashes of A”, right? Against an at BEST mediocre squad.
We better pick it up, look a whole lot sharper (especially on offense) in Tampa this Saturday; This S Fla team and their fans have had this game circled for some time...Sure, they’re still not anything like the Tide when it comes to talent or the level of challenge they are likely to present, but they could still make things tough, even somewhat frustrating for a half or longer if we don’t noticeably improve.
Really need to see Emory-led offense assert itself, take control early and keep it, while Defense only has to play a whole game the way it performed in the opener’s first half. Fewer missed tackles than last season, better discipline all around...but return of “same old same old”, of dumb, selfish penalties, in second half.
Not that such a full-on “tighten up” will necessarily change the feeling of foreboding still hanging above the THIRD Saturday’s game.
Frankly, I’d probably feel more put out by the various ways all the new rankings have managed to ignore, even “DISS us by omission”, if it WEREN’T for that overarching feeling that all that will be rendered irrelevant for now, our true and stark current limitations that will likely be revealed in the Swamp that afternoon.
Oh well. I’ll be watching when kickoff comes. Not sure where I’ll be by the end (or even by the end of the FIRST HALF, now that I consider it). But “hope springs eternal” and all that when it comes to these post-Tebow Gators. Yes—it has been that long since I could honestly claim loyal confidence in our coaching, personnel and/or program-as-a-whole entering a season OR a “Big Game”.
We just aren’t there yet.
Now, I DID honestly see the first glimmer of hope in the future, the first stirrings of promise and excitement among the undeniable raw materials on display in Game 1 of 2021.
This could well be “the turning point” season, where we clearly turn the corner and are poised to re-enter the elite: It all depends on what we continue to see THIS season.
We are not YET a Championship-caliber squad.
But we may well have most of the pieces and are building steadily in that direction.
I wish the Alabama game were later in the year; I believe we will be stronger as the season goes on. But as things stand, a strong and steady performance, keeping it at least close, will go a long way for now in confirming our return.
I think we can beat UGA cone The Cocktail Party, so if we can manage not to stumble elsewhere this could STILL turn out a decent season that accomplishes much. It is still hard to read the signs, so frail the evidence thus far.
All we can do for now is “ride the RIDE”, scream, whoop and groan, and see where we are at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema