• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wake Up Gator Nation (video included)

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Last year was bitter sweet. We had the nations best overall defense, and an offense that had no identity and was completely inconsistent. Too many times our Defense has to play lights out to keep us in games, and many times even win games. The Georgia game was an embarassing cluster f*** for both teams to be honest, but even more so for us since we lost, and was 99.9% our fault. That one loss took some air out of our momentum, but not nearly as much as missing a SEC/BCS Title Game shot and being paired with what most assumed to be a "walk in the park" bowl opponent. Only to look as if our team never showed up.

So with consideration to players we lost to the NFL, our schedule, and off season improvements on offense. Where do you see the Gators at the end of the season?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Last year the Gators over-achieved. This year's team looks about the same on paper, but with a bit more experience all around. Just like last year, the success will depend on Jeff Driskel, but this year we have more concern at running back. I foresee a loss against LSU and Georgia.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
Last year the Gators over-achieved. This year's team looks about the same on paper, but with a bit more experience all around. Just like last year, the success will depend on Jeff Driskel, but this year we have more concern at running back. I foresee a loss against LSU and Georgia.
over achieved? I disagree. Muschamp is a Defensive minded coach, so this years D will be on par or better than last years DESPITE the started we lost and/or injury lists. The only question left to answer is our Offense. If Florida shows up Saturday with balanced Offense and an improved mobile QB. We'll be able to put points on the board and so much will not be left on our D to pick up. Florida is so deep in RB's it's sickening, Purifoy is being transitioned to Offense and there was already talent waiting to be thrown too, we just lacked a QB who had confidence.

We lost to Georgia in an embarrassing game for both teams. You could even say we beat ourselves. Same with the Sugar Bowl. Playing in the SEC you think BCS Title game all year, especially when you're running the table like Florida did. When we missed the bus for that, I think it took alot out of our players and fans. The result was no fanbase support and players with their mind in the NFL Draft.

I know we have odds against us with our schedule this year, but we have never been known to "catch breaks". Hell, the SEC already announced us having 9 conference games next year while the rest of the conf. has only 8 lol.

There is also more comfort in our opponents schedules before they face us.

LSU opens @ TCU (an out of conference lost here could derail momentum). Then they go on the road to play @ Georgia and @ Miss St before facing us. This will do a lot to them physically, they will be tired and weathered.

Georgia is always neutral. This year we catch our BYE week before playing them. Just that alone is a huge advantage. Now throw in Georgia having to play @Clemson, South Carolina, LSU in their first 4 games. This has huge potential to run it's course on them physically.

South Carolina has probably the weakest schedule with only UNC, Arkansas(?) and Miss St. They are also coming off their BYE week before facing us. This will be our toughest challenge of the year.

Call me crazy, but I think running the table could happen. I will/have NEVER wished injury on ANY football player or team. But I know and watch enough football (especially SEC) to know that it will happen. Just the physicality alone plays a factor when you go week to week playing top defenses.

I think a lot will come to light this year Offensively and we will replace last years names with new ones.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
99.9% Gators' fault, are you f--king kidding me? I'm not going to denial the Gators made mistakes (they did) especially Jordan Reed fumbing toward the endzone. However the refs gave UGA two touchdowns with Driskel's fumble (that was an incomplete pass) and that BS roughing the passer that allowed that second TD.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
99.9% Gators' fault, are you f--king kidding me? I'm not going to denial the Gators made mistakes (they did) especially Jordan Reed fumbing toward the endzone. However the refs gave UGA two touchdowns with Driskel's fumble (that was an incomplete pass) and that BS roughing the passer that allowed that second TD.
how many times did we turn the ball over? or better yet, get a turnover on Defense and not captialize? The game was an embarrassment to everyone involved, UF, UGA, and the officiating crew.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
hell first play of the game driskel sacked himself
then the fumble/pass you mention
special teams, especially returning was trash
debose even fumbled it once i think
then the 4&inches fake fg that was called
oh yea, and the 1st & GOAL interception Jeffy throws with only seconds left in the half.

^our fault

and that is only the 1st half

Last edited:

Escambia94

I could not find in history any other team that won 85% of its games with a bottom-five offense and penalty rate I call this overachieving. If the plan is for defense to save the day, then the offense can be a bottom-five offense as long as penalties come down. Undisciplined, unfocused teams are not expected to win games, much less pass the eye test for BCS voters.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
hell first play of the game driskel sacked himself for 7 yrds
THAT'S WAS AN INCOMPLETE PASS, HIS ARM WENT FORWARD.
either way it was called, to me it looked like his arm went forward AFTER the ball came out. if anything it should be yet another mark on Driskels horrible performance that day.

I could not find in history any other team that won 85% of its games with a bottom-five offense and penalty rate I call this overachieving. If the plan is for defense to save the day, then the offense can be a bottom-five offense as long as penalties come down. Undisciplined, unfocused teams are not expected to win games, much less pass the eye test for BCS voters.

right, I agree. But when everyone knows you don't have an offense, and still can't draw up schemes and plays to get by your defense, you have something special there. We held LSU, Georgia, A&M, South Carolina, and FSU to their lowest numbers. Special Teams was flawless, Kicking/Punting, etc etc. Nobody had an answer for our Defense. This is a testament to Coach Muschamp in his 2nd year (at the time) and finally producing defensive powerhouses. It will only be better this year defensively.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, The Dogs had help from the refs (what else is new?), but the help WE gave 'em is what killed us in the end--and in turn killed our shot at an undefeated reg season and a shot at 'Bama in Atlanta.
We were a "year early" last season, given the missing pieces on offense, and the question becomes, "Is the offensive mix enough improved, not to mention our QB, to make the difference, to take that next step?!!"
The loss in New Orleans was classic, immature "We don't wanna be here", plus "We are just so much better than these guys that we don't even have to worry about it"...Throw in another wave of Urban Meyer-raised juniors and seniors who were more focused on their draft-placement and future pro-careers than the task at hand, and you had a prescription for disaster. That's not "excuses", it's inevitability against an angry Strong-coached team with some decent talent of its own...
The strangely good part, at least for us, is that it puts Louisville in the "overhype spotlight" and us into the "oh yeah, those guys" low-pressure shadows going into THIS season--just what the coaches can use with a squad still as young as ours. You cannot over-state the degree emotion and attitude play in shaping the motivation and resulting performance of young men, individually and as a team.
We really were WOEFUL on offense last year--and even THAT'S "understatement". Look for more balance this time around, and then some. Now, you need some luck to go undefeated through a whole SEC-team's schedule--that's why we've never been able to manage it (in the modern era, for all you picky smart-@$$es) and even the much-vaunted Tide has had trouble with it of late. Give us the breaks that DID go our way last season and I say we'll have a good shot at pulling it off THIS time. The idea, though, is to depend on "luck" as little as possible, and that certainly is the kind of team and attitude that Muschamp is building here. Pease, for his part, in his heart-of-darkness MUST be scheming ways to light some teams UP. Muschamp may "just want tough wins", but he'll gladly rest his blood pressure and his starters in the 4th quarter if and when his OC's offense starts putting teams away before then.

Escambia94

The Dawgs and the Tide always have help from referees. That is just how it is. Historically the Gators have been heavily penalized. That is just how it is. The Gators just need to be that much better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema