• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Urban Meyer got the boot

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wonder what's his next move is.
You just could FEEL this one coming. The guy was just careening “off the rails” lately, seemed like...but you know, WE (Gators) saw and recognized certain signs of “something very WRONG somehow” way BACK there, doncha know?
Now “the WORLD” knows what WE all began to suspect towards the end of his Gators-tenure, and the time directly AFTER... That whole thing “deteriorated” (to say the least), the way his “honor” seemed to be so easily “compromised” in his last days here at UF (for eg the way he so easily “played games” around his loyalty, his “word” and potentially messed with personal promises and responsibility between his continued presence in the Gator athletic Dept. and his quiet prospective switch over to Ohio State left a very bad taste in ALL OUR MOUTHS there at the end...To some extent, the Jaguars gig seemed like part of an effort to repair his relationship with fans (and former PLAYERS!) in the N. Fla. area—wasn’t sure it would or would NOT “work OUT” for him, and now seems it has fallen short!
I don’t hate him (though I must admit, my feelings were still definitely “trending downward” with Urban)...but at this point, it is more like “pity”, I’m sad to say. He’s lost his way; there’re lessons there—but I’ve made too many mistakes of my own in life to judge others harshly.
I hope he “rights the ship”, learns the art of “GIVING rather than TAKING” being more the key to a decent and happy life.
But in the mean time, the rest of the world will do best to BE CAREFUL IN TRUSTING HIM, sorry to say.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Let's be honest, I believe most college coaches fail in the NFL is because it's one thing boss around 18 to 24-year olds and went your going to the NFL you're dealing with those in their mid-20 and mid-30s, That ain't going to work. I doubt he gets a shot in college. That bar incident and would any parent allow Meyer into their homes to recruit their teenage son?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's be honest, I believe most college coaches fail in the NFL is because it's one thing boss around 18 to 24-year olds and went your going to the NFL you're dealing with those in their mid-20 and mid-30s, That ain't going to work. I doubt he gets a shot in college. That bar incident and would any parent allow Meyer into their homes to recruit their teenage son?
I knew he would be gone pretty quickly. As a Jags fan I hated this hire.
Yeah—that was a questionable hire...even with its built in “pluses” (the whole Gator-success history), those were more than out-weighed I thought by the WAY he left UF, and other things.
And the minuses began to surface and gather in ever-widening circles of consequences almost from the start. At this point, he WON’T get another pro-job—and as for going back to the college game, well, he’d certainly have to take a reduction in power, prestige and pay, likely having to go somewhere he can “RE-prove” himself once more.
On the other hand, as things stand he OUGHT to still be in very good shape financially (long as that Ohio bar-scene was an isolated anomaly—for a LOT of reasons!), so he can afford to take a break, then eventually go somewhere that “fills the bill” as I say—or NOT:
He’s got to have “retirement dollars” and then some...what they sometimes call “F*ck You money”, right? Maybe it is time to actually DO what he claimed he was “ready to do” (ie. “...following Dr.’s orders”) when he stepped down from the UF Coaching job all those years ago.
Spurrier had some interesting comments on this in an interview on G-ville sports-radio earlier today, as a matter of fact (along with thoughts on a number of timely headlines, including Emory’s decision to hit the portal and our chances heading into the “Gasp-Bowl”...
Worth checking out for Gator fans.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
“Starting FRESH” has been a long time coming in Gainesville:
Since Urban Meyer’s last winning season at UF—the one that culminated with that unholy breakdown in the 2009 SEC Championship Game against Alabama, where Urban’s “Dream Team” basically turned their selfish, ego-ridden eyes on their (imagined) coming pro-careers before even stepping out on the field that day—much to the frustrated-to-the-point-of-TEARS #15, who by the 2nd half was seemingly ready to play every position on both sides of the ball if he could somehow manage it—ANYTHING to somehow rally his lackadaisically unmotivated soon-to-be-FORMER TEAMMATES!
I LOVED TT for it, by the way, but REALLY felt his pain—and steadily lost respect for everyone else, on the field AND on the sideline (and NOT just the ones in uniform!) by game’s end.
You had to know SOMETHING was missing, something really wrong with that “team and program after all”... and everything that ensued—with Meyer, Addazio, and subsequent Coaches and players, stretching into long years SINCE...
Well, it ALL goes back to that, really.
Time we FINALLY, fully “cleaned house” after all, don’t ya think?
I’m hoping, PRAYING that is just what Coach N has in mind—has been and IS in the process of DOING.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Well then. Urbs has burned quite a few bridges. In a year when both the Notre Dame and USC positions came open he missed his shot at those dream jobs.

If I were him I would coach USFL or XFL.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well then. Urbs has burned quite a few bridges. In a year when both the Notre Dame and USC positions came open he missed his shot at those dream jobs.

If I were him I would coach USFL or XFL.

Would the USFL or XFL take him? Ok 50-50 really. They need the publicity and he needs to rehab his image and let's be honest, who would hire him as a college head coach? Right now, I don't see any programs hiring him. Not FBS, FCS, HBCU, D2, D3 ETC. Not many parents, are going to have a guy who kicked one of his players to their house to talk to their kid. If one of those teams from USFL or XFL hires him and he puts a decent attempt on improvement. Maybe he'll get a chance, MAYBE

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Would the USFL or XFL take him? Ok 50-50 really. They need the publicity and he needs to rehab his image and let's be honest, who would hire him as a college head coach? Right now, I don't see any programs hiring him. Not FBS, FCS, HBCU, D2, D3 ETC. Not many parents, are going to have a guy who kicked one of his players to their house to talk to their kid. If one of those teams from USFL or XFL hires him and he puts a decent attempt on improvement. Maybe he'll get a chance, MAYBE
USFL and XFL are desperate and will take any coaches. FCS and Division II take castaway FBS coaches all the time. See Hugh Freeze. Urban Meyer’s stubborn pride will be the only thing preventing him from taking a job in FCS or Division II. DJ Durkin basically killed a kid and he had an assistant coaching position at Ole Miss, so by that logic Urban can get a job as an offensive coordinator at Alabama.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Don’t forget: There’s always “media commentator” too.
The same fundamental forces, factors and interests that make these “new seasonal leagues” seemingly so “desperate” ALSO make high-profile, even controversial figures potentially “desirable talking heads” on North American TV screens come weekend mornings and evenings.
More a “transition” or a “chance at a new day”—but it looks like he could USE that...
(Not that I especially CARE now...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema