• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UF's Football Complex Receives Highest Green Building Certification

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
The recent addition to the University of Florida's Ben Hill Griffin Stadium has just been ranked as one of the most environmentally friendly buildings in the U.S.

The Heavener Football Complex has received platinum certification from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System, the highest ranking available. It is the first building in Florida and the first athletic facility in the nation to achieve platinum status. There are only 130 platinum buildings in the US and 141 worldwide.
GO GATORS!!!!!
More HERE

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
We scored 52, the required min. for a platinum. It is still a very big deal.... below is a breakdown of what was needed to be accomplished to achieve a Platinum Rating...
LEED is a point-based rating system; points are earned for building attributes considered environmentally beneficial. LEED differs from other rating systems in that it has quantified most of the "green credits." For example, 5% of the building materials must be from salvaged materials to earn a point for the salvaged materials credit.

LEED 69 points (70 for LEED Canada) covering six topic areas. Each topic area has a statement of associated goals.
Site Development: minimize storm water run-off, encourage car pooling and bicycling, increase urban density and green space
Water Efficiency: eliminate site irrigation, reduce water consumption, minimize or treat wastewater
Energy Efficiency: reduce building energy consumption, use renewable energy, eliminate ozone-depleting chemicals, commission building systems
Material Selection: minimize construction waste, re-use existing building façade, use recycled and salvaged materials, use renewable construction materials and design and build more durable buildings
Indoor Environmental Quality: incorporate daylighting, use low off-emitting materials, provide operable windows and occupant control of work space, improve delivery of ventilation air
Innovation in Design: use a LEED Accredited Professional, greatly exceed the requirements of a credit, incorporate innovative environmental features not covered in other areas, develop a green education plan

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I'm hoping that when I'm up in Gainesville this coming June, either during the day before or maybe during the Women's Clinic on the 20th if they take us on a tour, I can finally take a visit to the complex. I was hoping I could have done that when I was up during spring prctice on that one Saturday or perhaps before the O&B, but they're only open M-F during "banker's hours".

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
This morning's Sun has a great article on it. W/ slide show and video links.
The floor of the weight room in the Heavener Football Complex is made of recycled rubber, keeping tires out of a landfill.

A planter filled with palms and other native species sits on the roof, providing energy-saving insulation and soaking up runoff.
UF currently has two gold buildings, one silver building and seven with basic certification, said Carol Walker, assistant vice president for facilities planning and construction.

Walker said LEED requirements have been woven into UF's building standards, so more platinum rankings are likely with new buildings. The university also plans to retrofit 32 existing buildings with energy-saving features.

Three athletic facilities are on that list: a basketball practice facility, swim-and-dive center and facility with locker rooms for soccer and other sports.
GO GATORS!!
Article is HERE
Direct link to slide show tour HERE
Direct link to video tour HERE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema