• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thoughts Going Forward

mjfan23

VIP Member
Well that was ugly.... But where does it leave us?

At the end of the day few of us expected UF to win that game. However few us us expected UF to get embarassed and completly outplayed in every facet.

My thoughts:
- First we need to adress the QB situation. Brantley clearly gives us the best chance to win right now. Whats his status? It didnt look good... If driskel is the man he needs to be better prepared for the situation, however as fans we cannot expect much from a 18 yr old true freshman playing on the biggest stage. Its just not realistic to do so. We walked on the edge by declaring Brantley the next best thing and the pressures clearly got to him. Lets just let driskel play football.

- Now onto the RB. I got flammed earlier this year when Demps switched to a tru RB number. Lets be real here. We have two tremendous athletes, not Rb's. I have stated this for a long long long time, the line between speed and power is very thin. We have alot of speed and no power. I think this will be adressed in future recruits, but what about this season? Does this mean burton, gilliese? who?

- Our defense is very young, which is a great thing. They are going to get better and better with time. They need to continue to work hard on the basics. Tackling was such an issue yestuday, as well as pressure on the QB. Im not to sure what to expect from our frontline anymore... Do you?

-I was presently surpised with our WR play yesturday... Maybe it just me but I thought thompson played solid (yes the one penalty hurt). Debose showed me alot of talent even with his drop. And i love having reed as a te, he needs to be more invloved.

-Special teams was not special. I for one am not a fan of the running punt, but i suppose it did ok yesturday. Our special teams coverage was POOR.

Going forward this season has alot of question marks. Who knows where it will lead, but I do still believe that UF can make it back to the SEC championship.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
We will get back up, this isn't the first time Weiss has delt with this situation in his life...but where his mistake was, was only focusing on getting brantley better and forgetting about the back ups...

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well the big thing is our qb. Brantley was playing good til the injury. Last night I was probably unfair to driskell, a freshman being thrown into that doesnt really have a high percentage of success. Was watching some post game interviews with debose,thompson, and howard and they were talking about how they were gonna rally around him and they have alot of faith in him, because of what they have seen in him in practice. I know practice and real game situations are totally different, but he wasnt the number one qb prospect for nothing. If brantley doesnt come back, he will have a rough game against lsu but I think coach weiss will call plays more to his strength and that will gain his confidence. If driskell is our man for the rest of the year the Auburn game will be a game where we can tell alot about him. Demps I dont believe will ever stay healthy so I pray rainey can tough out the year and help carry us. Dline is so young they will get better. Our secondary is looking better. Powell and Jelani have to step up. Anyone know anything about Mack Brown??? Debose is starting to show why he had all the hype when recruited. Its a rough month to be Florida Gator but I have faith that we will get better and we still have a chance to get to Atlanta.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I think the key will be Coach Weis drawing up plays tailored for Driskel, not Driskel's impression of Brantley. Maybe with Driskel under center, we mix in some spread option. Maybe with our weak offensive line (compared to the big boys), we move the pocket or give JD permission to run when he sees an opening. That may make us less one dimensional.

It is obvious that we over invested in speed without preparing for the possibility that a bigger, more physical team could nullify that speed with raw power. Bama has some monsters. So does LSU. LSU also has the fastest secondary in SEC. I do not know where we go next, other than to regain what we did early in the season--just tell the opponent we are small and fast, try to stop us. Don't get cute with gimmick plays. Don't insult any one's intelligence with the Rainey wildcat knowing he is no danger to throw. Put Burton in the wildcat writer Driskel lined up at receiver or as a blocker, that is another story.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All reasonable, insightful comments and analysis, having the added virtue of being true. I like the way that despite how much we hurt (I feel like I was in a bar-clearing brawl last night and took my fair share of lumps), everyone remains faithful and true. Lotta situations like this it would be disgust, blame and finger-pointing time (and NOT just with other programs but in our own past)... Not y'all--and that is a mark I think of our faith in this regime, the idea that we share with them a vision of the future, and our certainty, despite the final score, that we just aren't THAT far away from where we need to be.
However, the nature of that gap means that it won't be closed THIS season. I'm going to address these points specifically later today (I know what I want to say--I just want to sharpen it , make it short and to-the-point--but I have to spend a few hours in my office in order to "fix" a work-related mess first), but for now I leave you with this:
For the THIRD time in less-than-TWO years, we have awakened on a Sunday morning with EXACTLY this same feeling at the hands of EXACTLY THE SAME TEAM--and FOR EXACTLY THE SAME REASON: we weren't, and we still AREN'T TOUGH ENOUGH.
Yeah, I know we had chances to find other ways to win, but that approach (with the Meyer-Spread,BTW) always left us exposed against the Saban's and the Tide. The ONE time we overcame them, the same lack was masked by the one guy we had that was tougher than anyone else: Tim Tebow...the wildcard to END all wildcards, even HE couldn't help the NEXT time, when they basically schemed to take him out of the equation (or at least neutralize him).
For THIS season, then, we're stuck with what we have, and we'll talk about that, and how we'll HAVE to approach the QB-position, now and in the future, later on. This staff isn't foolish and unimaginative enough (like the nameless one) to try to make sprint horses into oxen. They will find a way, and we can have a little hopeful fun in thinking about how they can do that. But the main thing for now is, HOW DO WE GET TO WHERE WE NEED TO BE: THE UNSTOPPABLE FORCE?

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I think the key will be Coach Weis drawing up plays tailored for Driskel, not Driskel's impression of Brantley. Maybe with Driskel under center, we mix in some spread option. Maybe with our weak offensive line (compared to the big boys), we move the pocket or give JD permission to run when he sees an opening. That may make us less one dimensional.

I think we need to look at what Ohio State did with Terrelle Pryor. Driskell, like Pryor, is a tall athlete that thinks to run very quickly. Put him under center with different "I" formations, and let him roll out of the pocket a lot.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we need to look at what Ohio State did with Terrelle Pryor. Driskell, like Pryor, is a tall athlete that thinks to run very quickly. Put him under center with different "I" formations, and let him roll out of the pocket a lot.
Hmmmm...Maybe--but whatever Weis does with him, it won't be something different from how he plans to use him as time goes on. If he wants Driskel rolling out sometimes, he'll have a full-game plan that has him doing that: SOMETIMES. He's got to think long term, though, and unless that was the way he always envisioned a Driskel-run offense looking, don't expect a full time roll-out strategy now. While a resourceful and creative planner of offensive game plans and the plays that they are composed of, Weis is also a highly regarded "QB-mentor", and he'll neither risk exposing his "quarterback of the future" to an inordinate number of hits nor encourage his young charge's natural inclination towards a "run-first" philosophy unless that squares with his larger plans for him, or at least doesn't interfere with those plans coming to successful fruition.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Both Driskel and Murphy have shown that they throw better while rolling out. Coach Weis has mixed in some spread option plays from his pro style formation, so I it is possible. I do not know what is going on with defense. Is Alabama that much bigger than us? WTH? Last year we limited Richardson and Ingram to less than 80 yards each, but we had bad red zone defense. This time we just let Richardson drag our players down the field. Did missing one day of practice due to rain affect our ability to tackle?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It was weird. I THOUGHT we'd get tired, especially if we couldn't run and burn some clock some, giving our no-second-string-defense sensible "breathers" on alternate drives, at least that was the theory--but this was ridiculous. We took "can't run/can't STOP the run" to new lows in futility and ineptitude.
Muschamps only explanation to any of it was to ALL of it, both vague AND general:
"John getting hurt really took the wind from our sails."
Coach I've noticed tends to be very protective of his team's psyche, at least in the face of reporters' first onslaught whenever or wherever they are encountered, especially after a game, especially ESPECIALLY when it concerns John Brantley and/or his other QBs--but this tells us virtually nothing--or does it? He also is usually glibly honest, if only you can ferret out the underlying and embedded significance. I'm not up to it here. (As Freud said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar")

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
From where I was sitting, it looked like our boys were getting pushed around on defense by Alabama's power running. There were far too many 2-yard runs that the back just pushed for 6 more. We have speed, but no power.

Maybe it's not something to change; it's perfectly legitimate to build a fast team. The team just needs to execute at a higher level than we did on Saturday if we're going to favour speed and precision to power.

And can someone remind our DBs of the importance of tackling in the open field? Going for the "big hit" without wrapping up almost led to a few TDs.

mjfan23

VIP Member
And can someone remind our DBs of the importance of tackling in the open field? Going for the "big hit" without wrapping up almost led to a few TDs.

I thought the same thing. Now a days its all about blowing someone up. Why not just make the proper tackle and stop the play... frustrating.

i wanna see driskel and brisset sat hell murphy too

driskel was one man show in HS brissett actually played on a good team with playmakes and he won state title for a florida powerhouse

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Both Driskel and Murphy have shown that they throw better while rolling out. Coach Weis has mixed in some spread option plays from his pro style formation, so I it is possible. I do not know what is going on with defense. Is Alabama that much bigger than us? WTH? Last year we limited Richardson and Ingram to less than 80 yards each, but we had bad red zone defense. This time we just let Richardson drag our players down the field. Did missing one day of practice due to rain affect our ability to tackle?
Lots of bad habits displayed out there against the Tide: those "launched knock-downs" that didn't knock them down, only (slightly) changed their direction of travel, are a good example. Back to fundamentals: meet force and momentum WITH force and momentum--stick 'em, hold 'em, wrap 'em up. If they're still on their feet the next guy in HAS to finish things off. And the next guy, and so on. Swarm to the ball. Done right, you won't see a pile of Gators being carried an extra 7 yds.
We get a BIT of a break against the Tigers this week, though: this is NOT the same kind of "you can't stop us", impose-their-will power-team we KNEW Alabama was going to be. I always felt we had a better chance against LSU--though I didn't figure it would be with a freshman QB.
Aside from the question of where the players' HEADS will be at on game day in Death Valley (THAT will be at least half the challenge facing the coaches, getting THAT turned around), nothing's changed for our defense. They'll have to show better, but I don't believe the LSU team is any "tougher" than ours; more importantly, if they're ready to play, our players won't believe it either. We can match up against their more quarterback-centered game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
From where I was sitting, it looked like our boys were getting pushed around on defense by Alabama's power running. There were far too many 2-yard runs that the back just pushed for 6 more. We have speed, but no power.

Maybe it's not something to change; it's perfectly legitimate to build a fast team. The team just needs to execute at a higher level than we did on Saturday if we're going to favour speed and precision to power.

Like I said above, it's "back to fundamentals" this week, you can be sure. They're probably suffering through a painful marathon film session right now, squirming in frustration and embarrassment--or maybe this is one of those times you just throw the film away, get out on the field and start over. Tackling 101: "Gentlemen, THIS is a football..."
Just kidding (barely), but you get the idea. That was the sort of swelled-head breakdown we saw more and more often in the last 2 seasons with the Meyer/DazzlerDiveMaster teams. Instead of determined and ready to get the job done, on Saturday they went after the flashy highlights, the look-at-me moves. Worked against Tennessee and Kentucky, they're SEC teams...What? Huh? Uh oh...
That's what I got, anyway. Here's one of those turning points, one of those "defining moments", for the coaches AND the players. I expect the coaches to shake things up, come down hard on this defense--make them face their failures and challenge them to turn it around, PRONTO. How that squad responds, who steps up and whether or not they ALL hunker down and play in an entirely different way, sharp and together as a team, will tell us a lot about how far this team has REALLY come.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I thought they had left that option open by not playing him in a game (you can DO that without declaring him redshirted, but I believe there are rules governing the exact dos and don'ts to keep a player in that "limbo", and how far into the season you can go before you either declare, or the option is automatically lost)...I had NOT heard that they had put the redshirt on him officially. Even if they had, they COULD remove it and put him in a game--in fact they could just go ahead and play him and that happens automatically.
Redshirts still practice with the team--and since none of us have any direct knowledge of what goes on THERE, Brisset COULD be practicing with the 1st team offense part of the time and we wouldn't have any idea about it (unless the Coach announced it) until he came into a game, I guess (I'm not sure: Do redshirt team-members dress for games? Travel with the team? These WOULD be constraining factors...).
Either way, to some extent the coaches can have it both ways, at least for now. At SOME point, though, they'll have to "fish or cut bait".

TraderGator

Gator Fan
Great analysis guys!

And isn't it so much better knowing we actually have an OC who can make adjustments mid-season, not to mention mid-game? LOL!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
i garuntee brissett plays while brantley is down he may never give the job up either lol
Well, even before seeing your post, when I read that Brisset "would be the backup if Driskel started", I was already thinking that Brisset was evidently making a move upwards in the coaches' (mainly Weis') estimation. Not to overstate it or put too fine a point on it, but I figured that Driskel did need to begin "showing something" once he got in there this week. In the back of my mind was the idea that if he COULDN'T start on Saturday, that his "tweaked leg"-injury (whatever it actually IS) kept him out, that Brisset would now get HIS shot at "comin' off the bench in the Big Game" storybook glory--not very likely, but what if he did? I guess HE'D be the starter after that, at least until Brantley's (theoretical) return. I suppose we're fortunate this isn't the last game of the season: we DO have time to find our likely "next QB", after all. If Brisset were to suddenly leap up and shine in his first outing, there'd be additional opportunity to see what he was made of. Look what happened with Texas and Garret Gilbert. HE made the best of a bad situation, almost bringing them back in the BCS Championship Game, and seemed to promise so much for the following year. Then CAME the "following year", THIS year, and it didn't work out that way: now he's said to be planning on transferring. (Hmmm--No, no, never mind what I was just thinking...we got enough on our plate)
This way, the most Brisset can "seize" is the opportunity to start a second game, and so on, he and Driskel fighting it out from there in practice and preparation for the next game in the weeks until Brantley returns, IF he returns. This would have been a better, more successful season on its own terms if #12 hadn't gone down, obviously, but it could still turn out to be HIGHLY valuable for our future, forcing us to find NEXT year's quarterback (and beyond?) now, sooner rather than later.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema