• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The real question is...

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
So i guess the real question is how much is this bye week going to allow us to regroup and get back on track for the Bulldogs...

TraderGator

Gator Fan
So i guess the real question is how much is this bye week going to allow us to regroup and get back on track for the Bulldogs...

I don't think it can be reasonably predicted.

It looks to me like poor coaching is at least half the problem and more concentrated poor coaching won't do anything good. But also the offense produced 35-points+ a game with Brantley and now under 10 with the back-ups. That's a big piece of the picture, I think. Also, maybe the defense has given-up. Why play their butts off when they know the offense just can't score without Brantley . . . and now Sturgis is out for some reason?

We also are seeing that those "glorious" recruiting classes by former Coach Meyer were questionable at best. Speed at all positions might win basketball but you have to have some size and strength to win a football game -- especially in the SEC on a consistent basis. No wonder he wanted out so desperately after Tebow left.

I continue to be amazed seeing Rainey get carry after carry and bounce-off defenders like a pin ball while not seeing Gillislee (or anyone else . . . DuBose?) who can go straight forward for 2-3 yards a carry.

But all across the board: if the 4-5 stars aren't producing, get 'em off the field and put some 3-stars or 2-stars with heart and passion on in their place.

I don't mind losing competitive games, but we've looked like Ole Miss against Alabama and LSU and one of the lower-tier teams against Auburn.

I sure hope something good comes out of the bye week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Is that our main concern, IA? I mean, we are "capable" of beating them, and the extra time gives us several different additional ways to improve ourselves, theoretically at least--as I've said elsewhere, we can beat all the teams left on our schedule. We could lose to them, too. I just wonder if we shouldn't be making our LONG term improvement, the major rebuilding job we now know is in front of us, the main priority from here on out. Oh, I'm not saying we shouldn't TRY to win--just that we might be best served doing so with the players more likely to be on the field in seasons to come, and/or doing what we can now to determine who those are from among the large proportion of selfish, swelled-head LOSERS we find dominating our roster.
We're a bad TEAM right now--and in most cases it's a matter not of talent, but head and heart. Long term OR short term, THAT has got to change. I believe the problems run SO deep that our return to prominence DEPENDS on changing it, and begin doing so immediately: if we want the Gators to begin to show consistent toughness, and the kind of steady improvement we've been waiting for, NEXT season, we've got to get a certain amount accomplished between now and the end of THIS one.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't think it can be reasonably predicted.

It looks to me like poor coaching is at least half the problem and more concentrated poor coaching won't do anything good. But also the offense produced 35-points+ a game with Brantley and now under 10 with the back-ups. That's a big piece of the picture, I think. Also, maybe the defense has given-up. Why play their butts off when they know the offense just can't score without Brantley . . . and now Sturgis is out for some reason?

We also are seeing that those "glorious" recruiting classes by former Coach Meyer were questionable at best. Speed at all positions might win basketball but you have to have some size and strength to win a football game -- especially in the SEC on a consistent basis. No wonder he wanted out so desperately after Tebow left.

I continue to be amazed seeing Rainey get carry after carry and bounce-off defenders like a pin ball while not seeing Gillislee (or anyone else . . . DuBose?) who can go straight forward for 2-3 yards a carry.

But all across the board: if the 4-5 stars aren't producing, get 'em off the field and put some 3-stars or 2-stars with heart and passion on in their place.

I don't mind losing competitive games, but we've looked like Ole Miss against Alabama and LSU and one of the lower-tier teams against Auburn.

I sure hope something good comes out of the bye week.

I agree with everything you say here, TG, EXCEPT the first sentence of the first full paragraph: I don't see how we can hold the present coaches responsible for the sins, mistakes and STUPIDITY of the previous regime. The problem(s) had to be identified--and it/they turned out to be the absolute absence of, call it "guts", "heart", whatever, at the center of a large proportion of those 4- and 5-star players you rightly are ready to push aside (I am too!). I don't think even WE realized how bad it was, how deep or widespread this problem was until the last few games, and we've been closely watching and analyzing this team throughout its slide the last few years--how could Muschamp, Weis & Co.?
They know it now, though: let's see what they do about it...the BIG question is how they go about doing it.
I believe this will require a kind of drastic "shock treatment", the kind of wholesale changes in preparation behind the scenes and personnel on the field that tends to look chaotic and disorganized at first--the pay-off comes down the line.
It won't be popular: if you think the questions about why they're playing who, and which plays they ought to be running in such-and-such situations, are getting louder now, just stick around.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
My thing is why is this rebuild coming as such a surprise to most people. In the beginning we kind of knew where we were. It's just a rebuild we got to do. But it starts on piece at the time. The players are the pieces they got to be broken down then rebuilt either them or someone else to replace .

It's unfair to the coaches to put them to blame for the style of player that was left over from last yr. If you keep switching coaches then NO ONE will come to the UF THEY WILL KEEP LOOKING TO OTHER PROGRAMS as SOME HAVE DONE.

I don't really got them but patience's is going to be key. I've never known of the quick fix when so many pieces need to be fixed.

I hope we rally better as supporters then our team has been doing....But it's up to you. I BLEED ORANGE AND BLUE.....

awebbf5

VIP Member
I think we need to go forward with driskell hes our guy, brissett isnt.
More gillislee and maybe just maybe can we see what mack brown can do lol.(its easy to tell im so ready to see him play)
roberson and watkins need alot of work.
rainey off special teams, need to try debose or someone else on punt returns.
Also think we need to see trey emerge as one of our leaders and the ball in his hands more.
We need to quit playing soft and as my ol hs coach used to say put a hat in his chest, quit trying to arm tackle.
But the coaching staff has to cut out these stupid penalties, offsides,false start etc.....
We need to go back to the basics how bout a oklahoma drill in practice that separates the men from the boys.
Ok im done venting i love the gators but playing soft is something that isnt acceptable to me!

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Everyone is worried about the long term but I'm just worried about uga and the rest of the season. If we can get a bounce back win it will start to build confidence in everyone players/coaches/fans. And with confidence they start to play better. Right now they are just beat down and don't even think they can win going into a game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Everyone is worried about the long term but I'm just worried about uga and the rest of the season. If we can get a bounce back win it will start to build confidence in everyone players/coaches/fans. And with confidence they start to play better. Right now they are just beat down and don't even think they can win going into a game.
I guess I can't really argue with you, when you put it like that...it's just a matter of perspective: one P.O.V. doesn't preclude the other. You're right about them being "beat down" and in need of a win, to begin to learn they CAN win again--I said exactly the same thing going into the Auburn game. The difference now: I believe that that "next win" should come with the players the coaches believe in and have long term plans for on the field. They're the ones whose "confidence" needs to be rebuilt as you describe, IA.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we need to go forward with driskell hes our guy, brissett isnt.
More gillislee and maybe just maybe can we see what mack brown can do lol.(its easy to tell im so ready to see him play)
roberson and watkins need alot of work.
rainey off special teams, need to try debose or someone else on punt returns.
Also think we need to see trey emerge as one of our leaders and the ball in his hands more.
We need to quit playing soft and as my ol hs coach used to say put a hat in his chest, quit trying to arm tackle.
But the coaching staff has to cut out these stupid penalties, offsides,false start etc.....
We need to go back to the basics how bout a oklahoma drill in practice that separates the men from the boys.
Ok im done venting i love the gators but playing soft is something that isnt acceptable to me!
"Master of the Obvious"(=me) says: We need bigger, stronger guys.
All our "small speedsters", a description of most of our potential playmakers, keep getting hurt--and on clean, not out-of-the-ordinary hits. Turns out Debose was dinged again here as well, that's why HE didn't get in there in the 2nd half.
The only guys we've got that always seem to give their all AND give us a spark are our not-large-but-not-small-either backs, Burton and Gillislee. You're right: we have GOT to see more of them out there. I don't know WHAT to say about Mack Brown; I've been wondering about him since LAST season, and can only figure he must just be a complete wash out on the practice field (as I've noted before, I've HEARD that he just has never "picked up" the offense, but have never heard that as a reason a RUNNING back was pushed aside, especially such a highly-touted one).
Quarterback is starting to really concern me: Brisset has no presence back there, looked lost from the start and never warmed up or "grew into the role" as play progressed. Driskel can run the offense, made some tough throws to move the chains--but overthrew the long ball BADLY at a couple of crucial moments in the game. THAT at least can be fixed--it's mainly in his head more than anywhere else that the problem lies (he made those kind of throws REPEATEDLY at the prep level--that's a big part of why he was the top prospect in the NATION last year). I'm with you, Aweb: Driskel shows MUCH more, of the two. However, even this early, it seems NEITHER has that "light around him", or however you describe that air of "specialness", of "take-charge-talent" that you search for in a top-flight big time college QB. It may be time to reopen our search for another quarterback-recruit, something I DIDN'T think we'd need to do for another year with the guys we THOUGHT we'd brought in.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
This I know...the Gators will not lose a game this week. Next week..the verdict is still out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am very interested to see what's different the week after next: gotta believe SOMETHING(s) will change, just how and where are still to be (not) revealed. Can't go by what we're told, either. Assuming that this Coach's penchant for vagueness and red herrings is aimed at keeping the next opponent from getting information that may be used against us, or narrowing their own preparation in any way, then he's going to want every advantage possible from the by-week.
As it is, they have to assume Brantley plays at quarterback (clearly a "break" for them if he doesn't), but beyond that who knows? No one can assume ANYTHING, them OR us--who's hurt, who's in the dog house, who's about to transfer, it's all grist for the rumor-mill.
Me, I just want to see signs of a change in attitude and approach. Changes in personnel and how they're used, yes, but also that the guys who are out there are the ones who "want it bad", ya know? Let the "5-Star Clowns" sit and watch, as much as possible. We have got to get a win: this "culture of losing" can NOT be allowed to grow and fester on this team the way the spoiled, selfish "feeling of entitlement" was allowed to do just that on Meyer's team the last 2 years or so--we are dealing with its hard and ugly consequences even now.

TraderGator

Gator Fan
I agree with everything you say here, TG, EXCEPT the first sentence of the first full paragraph: I don't see how we can hold the present coaches responsible for the sins, mistakes and STUPIDITY of the previous regime. The problem(s) had to be identified--and it/they turned out to be the absolute absence of, call it "guts", "heart", whatever, at the center of a large proportion of those 4- and 5-star players you rightly are ready to push aside (I am too!). I don't think even WE realized how bad it was, how deep or widespread this problem was until the last few games, and we've been closely watching and analyzing this team throughout its slide the last few years--how could Muschamp, Weis & Co.?
They know it now, though: let's see what they do about it...the BIG question is how they go about doing it.
I believe this will require a kind of drastic "shock treatment", the kind of wholesale changes in preparation behind the scenes and personnel on the field that tends to look chaotic and disorganized at first--the pay-off comes down the line.
It won't be popular: if you think the questions about why they're playing who, and which plays they ought to be running in such-and-such situations, are getting louder now, just stick around.

Yep . . . I agree and I agree with what Swamp Person and everybody else has written.

I don't want to switch coaches at all Swamp Person. That's not what I meant. You're right, if all we give is 7 games and then start calling for heads to roll, nobody will ever want to coach at Florida.

But the biggest part of coaching is preparation: drills, schemes, specific plays, special teams, everything to get ready to win. And with all the stupid mistakes and penalties and lack of any offensive production and playing soft as awebb put it . . . I still think at least half of what we're seeing on the field is a result of (so far) poor coaching.

But I'm nowhere near wanting anyone fired, so if I came across that way, I mis-spoke.

And DRU, you're right too . . . Muschamp can't do anything but the best he can with smaller, weaker (but certainly faster) players he inherited.

On a lighter note; did you all see where Fred Taylor's kid ran for 426 yards in a single game last week or the week before? He's down to us or Alabama. Talk about a potential game changer. Wow! (Orlando Sentinel article)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Did you hear Coach hopes JB can start practicing next Monday?

Orlando Sentinel
That alone (ie. JBIV coming back) will give us on-field leadership--along with giving Weis more flexibility all around with his offense. BOTH in turn will allow Coach M to walk the "razor's edge" I suspect he'll be walking the rest of this season: moving in the "try-harder" players over "5-star Clowns", where possible, while doing everything he can to get WINS. Of all the bad habits we're developing, that's the one that has to be broken ASAP. (Then there's the penalties, the dropped INTs and punts, the poor tackling...aw hell, we are not a good team right now--and you're right, TG, coaches must shoulder responsibility here.)
Man, I have been HOPING the Taylor kid would make "the right choice"--we NEED him, and it just seems wrong he should be considering anyone BUT us. I've been so pessimistic about that whole deal that I have avoided following it of late. If there's one singular example of what things have come to in recruiting nowadays, it is that we are merely "in the running" for a kid who used to run around on the sidelines at Gator practices when he was small.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Im still depressed over the past 3 weeks.

When I look at the Bama and LSU games, I don't really think we had much of a chance to win anyways... especially when JB went out. But how those two teams ran on us was embarrassing... I thought we had fixed that this year.

But with the Auburn game, it was very depressing. I knew the offense was going to struggle, but c'mon, we couldn't even find the endzone! And the special teams was just disgusting. I thought the defense played very well though.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You said it--mjf23 had it right: "Depressing".
I wasn't near as down about the first two losses, per se (though I wanted to see a closer score AND a better all around effort against LSU--once we had a week to adjust at least EMOTIONALLY to Brantley's loss: BTW, one of the things I am really not liking about this heartless, gutless team of ours is the way they let things get them down and KEEP them down--#12's loss WAS a big one, but it isn't like they've rallied around whomever was in there OR each other in subsequent weeks, but this is how it goes with us come ANY set-back, large or small...y'll know my thoughts on THAT, though).
The Auburn loss DID leave me depressed--and ANGRY. You're right in everything you said, CG--though we have to fault even the "D" when it comes to their tackling: they seemed to do better against lesser talent last Saturday, but not in the 4th qrtr when it counted--then we made their so-so RB LOOK like Richardson or Lattimore (who we WON'T be facing against the Gamecocks, giving us a chance, I suppose--but NOT if we continue with those "matador tackles").
As for the rest, I talk about this on other threads here: underlying the long list of things that must change is the very character of this team: that's where real change will have to start. Trying to plug all the smaller holes without addressing that is an exercise in futility.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema