• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The option

Swampman

VIP Member
We didn't really see the option at all vs. Miami - do you think we'll see it this week? I know Brantley can't run like Tim, but the option is a great way to keep the defense honest and second guessing.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I don't think the game plan and the game execution were anywhere near each other on Sat. We might have seen it if the offense had a chance to get going which IMO, it never did. Total offensive production was as if we had only played 1 half.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
With Chris Leak under center, we went in and out of the option with an O-line that could block like a spread-option or like a Fun-N-Gun. Our O-line now was recruited for and trained for one thing only--spread-option blocking. Part of the problem is execution, part of it is familiarity with a newly modified system that should employ different techniques.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
We won't see the option as much as last year, I'm guessing. Brantley is nowhere near the run threat Tebow was, so the option won't be as effective (I assume).

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
With Chris Leak under center, we went in and out of the option with an O-line that could block like a spread-option or like a Fun-N-Gun. Our O-line now was recruited for and trained for one thing only--spread-option blocking. Part of the problem is execution, part of it is familiarity with a newly modified system that should employ different techniques.

And as far as a certain portion of the fanbase goes, they can't seem to deprogram themselves from the Fun-n-Gun which they believe is the be-all-and-end-all of offensive attacks.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
And as far as a certain portion of the fanbase goes, they can't seem to deprogram themselves from the Fun-n-Gun which they believe is the be-all-and-end-all of offensive attacks.

Very true for the fanbase. More importantly for the players is that the '06 O-line still knew how to do the man-blocking required for the I-formation. The Fun-n-Gun appears to be a hybrid between pass-oriented spread and the pro set I-formation. Fast-forward to '10 and our O-line is probably not equipped to man-block, or if it can man-block versus zone-block it is not equipped to go back and forth at will between the two blocking schemes. I like the spread, and I think that it can work as Urban Meyer intends--that's why he gets paid the big bucks and not me.

What I think is that in order to convince the Fun-n-Gun fanatics and beat USF we need to keep that O-line consistent and see if they can switch between blocking schemes. That should open the holes we need for the running game, and let us own the line of scrimmage. Miami-OH was dominating that line of scrimmage, even when the QB fielded a clean snap. That's a bad sign. Our starting O-line averages over 300 pounds--how can we not own the line of scrimmage? Our running backs are 75% the size and twice the speed of normal running backs--we need to squirt the little guys through those holes quickly. All this needs to be done after we figure out how to snap a ball, make a field goal, and stop the run.

Last week was not the Urban Meyer spread-option. I hope we see it and page 2 of the playbook on Saturday.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema