1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Steve Spurrier is the winningest coach in AAF, South Carolina, Florida, and USFL Tampa Bay,

Discussion in 'Gator Lounge & General Discussion' started by Escambia94, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Escambia94

Escambia94 Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE) Moderator

With the Alliance of American Football (AAF) folding, Spurrier is now the winningest all-time coach at South Carolina, Florida, the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL and AAF.

Spurrier's Orlando Apollos were two games ahead of its peers at 7-1, and were the first to secure a playoff berth.

Spurrier was 86-49 in 10-and-a-half seasons at South Carolina. He led the Gamecocks to the 2010 SEC East championship and three straight 11-win seasons.

At Florida the Ol' Ball Coach was 122–27–1 with six SEC championships and a national title.

Spurrier was 35–21 in the USFL as coach of the Tampa Bay Bandits, where his teams were consistently at the top of offensive statistics.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DRU2012

DRU2012 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Not only that: SS and his Apollos have ME watching...I originally "took a look" thanks to Spurrier's presence PLUS the Gator-grad/SEC/general southern-regional ties, but it has been the style of play, SS's typical perfectionist (but predictably wide-open) approach, and a number of clever rules-choices by the new league in the gameplay itself that together grabbed and held my attention.
    All in all, I have already watched more AAF play this first year, mostly just in Apollo telecasts, than I had the NFL in SEVERAL recent seasons.
    Overall, IMHO it's a more entertaining game. There are no doubt all sorts of OTHER factors behind-the-scenes, mostly commercial/financial, subtle and long-range, that will determine its actual chances of success--but they definitely got a LOT of things right, and the Apollos, with Spurrier in charge, is probably the best example; He, they and the continued health of the AAF almost certainly requires more of the same elsewhere--at the very least for now a proper and immediate rival, not just competition in competence but one with a counter-developing STYLE of play...San Antonio OR Birmingham I think COULD be that team, for now. Like I say, the best thing that could happen (in addition to the further general development of dominant REGIONAL "identities" to the most successful and popular clubs) is for at least one distinct, strong and fairly balanced rivalry to develop and end up matched up against each other in their Championship. We'll just have to see what actually ends up happening. (If anything at all, besides another "near miss, then fade...")

• Like Like x 1