• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Spikes officially suspends himself for vandy game

GatorBa!t

Gator Fan
Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes made a 19-second statement to reporters in Gainesville on Wednesday night, announcing he will effectively suspend himself for the entire Vanderbilt game for his attempted eye gouge of a Georgia player.

SEC blog

Low ESPN.com's Chris Low writes about all things SEC in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

"I really don't want to be a distraction to the team," Spikes said. "I want the guys to prepare without any negative things going on. I feel like if I would play, it would be a big thing. I'm just trying to stay out of the way and just motivate the guys. I'm pretty sure Stamper's my back and my teammates really support me on this decision."

Florida coach Urban Meyer said Spikes approached he and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong Tuesday night and they made a collective decision. "We support Brandon fully," Meyer said.

"Alot of the negative things out there are really weighing heavy on his heart right now," Meyer said. "As a group, we decided in the best interest just for the team to not play him Sat. It's a group decision. We're doing it out of respect for our team so we can focus on trying to win our ninth game. We think it's the right thing to do."

Meyer had faced some criticism for only suspending his All-American linebacker for only the first half the Vandy game. The Southeastern Conference accepted the original punishment.

Spikes stuck his hand into the facemask of Georgia's Washaun Ealey during Florida 41-17 victory against the Bulldogs last week. There was no penalty called at the time, but Meyer went back and looked at the play of tape and decided to punish Spikes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4623708

I think the right move was made...i wish Meyer would have suspended him for the game from the beginning.....but glad to see him make the right decision...now i get to see B Hicks....

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
I think the right move was made...i wish Meyer would have suspended him for the game from the beginning.....but glad to see him make the right decision...now i get to see B Hicks....
Agreed GatorBa!t
I also think the defense will step up, make the plays and give one of the best defensive outings of the season.
While usc east will get Brandon Spikes hungry to prove himself. That will be one not to miss.

Gretzky_99

Gator Fan
Does Spikes suspending himself for a whole game to not distract the team, or Spikes trying to gouge out another players eyes in a game say what kind of player he is?

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I think Spikes suspending himself says a lot about who he is. He puts team first.

Yes, but what I don't like is that he made this decision to "avoid distractions"; I may be wrong, but I feel that in a way he probably did this to appease the media and put an end to all the uproar. That's what sucks.

stonythegator

Gator Fan
I agree, if he wasn't a TEAM first kind of person we would be watching him play on sundays instead of saturdays.

That makes about the most sense of anything I've heard in the last week. If he did it to stop the uproar, fine. We all know you don't need the media swarming around distracting you when you're trying to get ready for another game.

If he did it for the team because he thought that's what he deserved, that's also fine. This would be a more noble case, but still has the same effect. Either way, him stepping down was a huge thing for the team. I'm glad he did. Well, not really glad that he won't be playing, but realized his mistake. I'm sure things were getting tense. That's a tough game to play. Both sides were doing stupid things like that. Was it wrong and is it wrong? Of course. However, tempers will flare in these tense matchups.

GatorGal15

VIP Member
Bravo to Brandon for coming out and suspending himself for the whole game. I don't think any punishment was really needed, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Bravo to Brandon for coming out and suspending himself for the whole game. I don't think any punishment was really needed, but that seems to be an unpopular opinion.

QFT. I think the same thing. As long as the "self-suspension" gets one or two out of a million Gator haters off our backs, then I am okay with it. I don't even see why he needed a suspension, but if he can rest up for SC then that's great.

My brother will be at 50-yard line the SC game. I want him to hear a fresh Spikes slam into an SC player at full speed so he can tell me how it sounds. (I guess he got good seats because he just returned from Afghanistan).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema