• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Should SC be mad at Spurrier

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Check out these comments. If you're an Athletic Director, would you want your head coach saying this:

"The coach of that 1996 team was in San Antonio on Monday night at the NCAA Coaches Convention and wasn't going to miss seeing his alma mater play.

"We got the guy at the Marriott to get us a suite so all of us Gators could watch together," Steve Spurrier said. "Jimmy Ray Stephens, John Hunt, guys like that, we all watched it.

"It was total domination. People around the country got to see what the SEC is all about. Florida played their best game when they needed it. It was reminiscent of our game against FSU in the Sugar Bowl (for the national title). Tell all of the people in Gainesville we were happy and excited."

PhD Gator

Super Moderator
No, I think they already understand the fact that he will always be a Gator. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to beat us when they play us, but I would see no reason why they should be mad at him for rooting for us in the championship game. I would assume that all of the SEC coaches were rooting for us actually, and they don't have the tie in that Spurrier does.

Another way to look at it would be with Donovan. He played for Providence and I'm sure if Providence was playing some random school like UCLA or something for the NCAA title that Donovan would be pulling hard for Providence. It's his alma mater and I would have no problem with him saying that he is a Friar and is pulling for them. That doesn't mean that he would prepare any less or coach any different when we played Providence. He would still want to beat them and would understand that he is now the Gator's coach and that is where his current allegiance lies. That's how I look at it anyways.

sammy

VIP Member
I'm sure since we're a rival school that some of the things he does irks them. I know it would bother me seeing my Coach wearing a rival shirt or something.

But South Carolina understood that when they hired him. He still does Gainesville commercials and plays golf down here. He was inducted into the Gator Football Ring of Honor. You just can't let it bother you when the public is watching :)

JohnnyBGood

VIP Member
I'm sure that's not the only time Spurrier has angered their AD or President.

But honestly, they knew what they were getting when they hired him, and that's someone who bleeds orange and blue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema