• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rumors about Charlie Weis?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I saw the same rumor on two of the same sites that were wrong about MusCHOMP. Ignore the rumors. Not even the venerable Pat Dooley can be trusted with these kind of rumors. Would it kill us to have Cheeseburger Charlie? No. As long as he knows his place with a much younger Will MusCHOMP, he could help our offense. Do I think the rumor is true? No. Is my opinion valid in the grand scheme of things? No. The beauty of a new regime (Muschamp) is that all our supposedly trustworthy sources go right out the window. Nobody knows anything, except Muschamp and Foley. Neither one of them is letting out any information, so just sit back and wait for the surprise.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I just heard it on the in-between-Show (ie. ESPN after the USF shouldn't-have-been-that-close win) before going to the UCF/Georgia game (weird match-up, no?)...they announced it as "...word coming out of Kansas City that...", and proceeded to wonder at it--as well they might! I know that I'M wondering at it; a head-scratching "Huh?" was my first reaction. I mean, OK, the guy WAS known as a top, innovative "Offensive Guru" when he got the Notre Dame job...his troubles as a Head Coach in South Bend may have tainted that "rep", but doesn't change the knowledge and imagination he was originally noted for. I'm just not sure if that's a good "fit", know what I mean? If it actually happened, I'd have to see. You gotta wonder why HE would be interested, though: has to be a pay-cut from his job in the pros, for one thing. He IS another MONSTER recruiter, knows and loves the college game, being a mentor and teacher to young men, and (as noted earlier) throughout his career has been on the cutting edge in developing new wrinkles in offensive scheming that tries to best exploit the talents of the players at hand.
I'm not totally aghast or against the idea, you understand...it just comes out of the blue.

Escambia94

It is out of the blue, and it does not make sense for Cheeseburger Charlie to take that kind of pay cut. I won't complain if it is true, but I will scratch my head for a while and wonder.

crmixon

Gator Fan
Let's say, for arguements sake, that he IS interested. How long do you think he stays? I say 2 seasons tops. I think the only reason he would come here is to get his college stock back up and go to another HC job.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, that would take a powerful and dramatic turnaround in '11, then one or two Nat'l Championships to follow. If you're right, that's about what he'd be counting on, aiming towards. If he can manage the kind of Offense that stands out as one facet of that kind of run, I think we'd take it--even if that meant losing him soon after.

Escambia94

I'm starting to buy into this rumor more and more. I won't commit to believing it is true, but I am getting more and more comfortable with the idea.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I agree with the idea that he would be willing to take a pay cut so he could work on building his rep back. Didn't he say at one time he preferred college over the pro's? Can't remember for sure. Anyway, I think he'd be willing to take a pay cut to come in for a few years and rebuild his college image and then take off for another college HC position.

Escambia94

I while back I asked Santa Claus for Josh McDaniel as our OC. Charlie Wies would be even better, since McDaniel picked up that Erhardt-Perkins offensive system that he used in New England and Denver from none other than Cheeseburger Charlie himself!

If the rumors are true, say goodbye to the bubble screens that we have grown tired of. Under the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system that Charlie Weis under (and Josh McDaniel), receivers receive and running backs run, for the most part. Also, good luck finding a place to eat in Gainesville. There won't be enough fast food in Alachua County to appease that man's appetite!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
AP wire is now reporting that Weiss has been offered the job.
Get the job done "as advertised" and he can have his own "In'n'Out Burger"-franchise, far as I'm concerned.
That one out there west of the University, all to himself maybe.

The Zooker

VIP Member
Weis would be a huge steal for us. The man is good enough to be the OC at any NFL program. That makes him qualified to be our OC. And don't underestimate the value he would be in the recruiting arena. "Hey kid, I have three Superbowl rings. I can coach you into the NFL." I wouldn't be worried about him leaving early either. Think about it. The man is taking a voluntary demotion. Let's be honest, it is a demotion. People who are focused on progressing their careers aren't going to make a move like this. The man is already a multimillionaire. He may just be looking to settle down and do what he loves -- coach championship offenses. With Muschamp being a defensive minded coach, he would be free to do whatever he wants. That's a nice comfortable position for him.

The Zooker

VIP Member
The Gator Nation should be psyched to land this guy as a coordinator. That would be epic for a guy like Muschamp to come into Florida and land Weis as our offensive coordinator. Truly epic.

Escambia94

AP wire is now reporting that Weiss has been offered the job.
Get the job done "as advertised" and he can have his own "In'n'Out Burger"-franchise, far as I'm concerned.
That one out there west of the University, all to himself maybe.

How did I miss that? There is an In-N-Out in Gainesville? When did that get there?

The Gator Nation should be psyched to land this guy as a coordinator. That would be epic for a guy like Muschamp to come into Florida and land Weis as our offensive coordinator. Truly epic.

I refuse to get stoked until it is official. Just kidding. I'm stoked already. Don't break my heart, Cheeseburger Charlie!

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
How did I miss that? There is an In-N-Out in Gainesville? When did that get there?

No, there is a place called "In-n-out" but it is NOT the same chain. I used to go there and the burgers are decent but the real in-n-outs that you find on the west are much better.

The Zooker

VIP Member
After recent events I'm also hesitant to start celebrating. But I'm hoping that Weis accepts the offer. Think about it. If Florida were to land Weis as an offensive coordinator then that would make Florida look like the premier program in college football. Who takes a demotion from NFL coordinator to college coordinator? Nobody. UNLESS it's for Florida. The recruiting aspects are amazing as well. The man can recruit players. You're crazy if you think high school players aren't focused on the NFL. College sports is great and all but the NFL is where you become a millionaire. Selling Florida as a pipeline to the NFL will do wonders for our recruiting.

Escambia94

No, there is a place called "In-n-out" but it is NOT the same chain. I used to go there and the burgers are decent but the real in-n-outs that you find on the west are much better.

That makes sense. I go to In-N-Out about once a month when I travel west for business. I would be surprised to see one in G'ville. There are rumors of it going to Orlando soon, if it has not already.

GoGators01

Gator Fan
My family is notre dame fans so I've seen weis enough to know he's a great recruiter an offensive coordinator. Defense was the problem at notre dame. He helped Brady Quinn and Jimmy clausen a lot and would help Brantley a lot too. This would be a great hire. He would be muschamps equal on the offensive side

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema