• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Roper the new Offensive GURU

awebbf5

VIP Member
So with the hire of Roper as our new man to light the scoreboards up, What is everyone's thoughts on the hire? Me personally I really think Cut was the offensive mastermind at Duke but IDK. I hope he comes in and we click on all cylinders at the start of the season, but my gut tells me things might not be to much better. Hopefully Muschamp hands him the offense and says get us points I got the D, but I also believe that Muschamp is a little hard headed and might not do that. GO GATORS!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Cutliffe gets much of the credit, but do not take away Roper's contributions. Kurt Roper and Joker Philips created an up-tempo offense at UK that worked for their personnel. Roper had plenty of hands-on experience coaching up Eli Manning and Arian Foster. Cutliffe gets most of the credit for coaching up Peyton Manning, but Roper gets a share of that credit. All in all, this is a good hire. Cutliffe was not an offensive guru as much as he was a coach good at matching coaches, players, and talents. Roper is not as much an offensive guru either as much as he is good at matching players and talents.

There is debate as to how much control Muschamp exerts over the offense and defense. If you watch him on the sidelines, he has little input on game-day execution of the offense, but he seems to have some veto authority with the defense in terms of formations and match-ups. This is where I think Roper may be better than Pease. Pease would have been better at game day execution if Muschamp had given him more control in practice. The players that have left Florida or who have criticized Florida from the inside have stated that practice has been somewhat lackadaisical. What I think Roper will bring is up-tempo practice and more in-game adjustments. Pease's offensive philosophy seemed to be that the formation would dictate defensive adjustment, but it appeared that the formations were not matching up to the offensive blocking.

If I had to take a guess, Roper will do better than Pease if he gets an offensive line coach that agrees with his formations and play scheduling, and if the rest of the coaches are okay with running a more lively practice session.

Escambia94

@awebbf5 Here is a good source that shows Roper is the madman behind the Duke offense, not Cutliffe (interview with Kurt Roper in September 2013): http://blogs.newsobserver.com/duken...ordinator-kurt-roper-on-the-no-huddle-offense

Andrew Carter: What is the background of the system you guys use now?

(Note: The Cutcliffe/Roper offense was not no-huddle at Ole Miss. In 2005, Roper went to Kentucky, where he was the quarterbacks coach. Joker Phillips, now an assistant at Florida, was the offensive coordinator. It was Phillips who wanted to go no-huddle at times, and the system was put in for the 2005 season. Duke has been no-huddle since the staff arrived in 2008)

KR: Really, it was Joker’s philosophy – how are we going to come up with the terminology, or this or that – how we did it. So 2005 is kind of where it started. When I went to Tennessee in 2006 and got back withCoach Cutcliffe, we got back into the huddle. We were a huddle team that year in 2006 and then ’07, coach Cut asked me, OK, how did you do no-huddle – what was the process. And I just taught him the process (of) what we did at Kentucky in 2005. And it’s just grown from 2007 through now 2012.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I hope the players on offense know who to block next season, Don't know what was worse that block itself or a sub 200 pound receiver pushing around a over 300 pound center. It was on the not 10 top plays on sportscenter. Depending when you saw it (it was number one earlier then swapped for the butt tag at number three). I think it was worse than butt tag.

Escambia94

Well I hope the players on offense know who to block next season, Don't know what was worse that block itself or a sub 200 pound receiver pushing around a over 300 pound center. It was on the not 10 top plays on sportscenter. Depending when you saw it (it was number one earlier then swapped for the butt tag at number three). I think it was worse than butt tag.

Oh, how I hate seeing that replayed on ESPN. You ****ing idiots! How the **** do you block one another? It does not matter who the ****ing coach is! That was ****ing stupid.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh, how I hate seeing that replayed on ESPN. You ****ing idiots! How the **** do you block one another? It does not matter who the ****ing coach is! That was ****ing stupid.

Yeah, that one just won't go away, the haters reveling in our pain and groaning embarrassment, but worse still, imo, all the rest of the more-casual-football-watching-universe now relating that to the state and rep of our program in general--and I'm not so sure they are wrong, at least in terms of where we were at by then, and how far we had sank to get there. Hell, I had to just "grin and bear it" earlier today when a bunch of friends and neighbors hanging at my house, watching the first real slew of "junk bowls" on my new big screen OLED (and drinking MY BEER, btw--Oh, the ungracious mortification of it all! Life is unfair...) laughingly got on me and our team over that particular "high"light, all well aware of my pride and pain in this matter (my vehicles all have Gator decals on the bumpers, a Gator Flag flies out front on Saturdays when we play--I wear it on on my sleeve, right here in the heart of Longhorn country). They're gettin' it while they can, I guess--It's the one thing even the Horn and Aggie fans can get together on, apparently...
Keeping it light (never show weakness OR pain), I could only turn once again to a re-dux of that Schwarzneggar-line in response: "We'll be bahck..." (and we're ALL thinking, hoping-against-hope the unstated after-line, "Sooner than y'all THINK, assholes!").
'Til then, I suggest we learn to cultivate an icy smile that says, "Go ahead and laugh it up...".

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
I thought it was both very funny and very pathetic - a serious reflection of our coaching staff.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Only Miami and FSU fans tout that they are back.
Yeah, but this is the first time in more than 30 years that we're even IN anything LIKE this kind ("THEIR kind") of situation--I mean, where that's all we can really take emotional refuge in, for now...

Escambia94

Yeah, but this is the first time in more than 30 years that we're even IN anything LIKE this kind ("THEIR kind") of situation--I mean, where that's all we can really take emotional refuge in, for now...
True, but we know better. How many fan bases have watched a team go from 0-10-1 to 8-4? Have some faith. Florida has too much talent and too many resources to be down for too long. It took a lot of fluke injuries and depth issues caused by years of coaching changes to get here.

Speaking of coaching changes, do not get comfortable yet. We are about to kick off 2014 with our 3rd OC and OLC in 4 years, 6th in a decade. Expect more turmoil with recruiting and problem players leaving. Kurt Roper has a reputation for being no nonsense: no slackers in practice, no slackers in the classroom, and no attitude problems.

I fully expect a few of our offensive players with discipline issues to be shocked by Roper's hardcore coaching and leave. Cutliffe and Roper together kicked a lot of good athletes off the team for being primadonnas, and they created depth by recruiting multiple players at the same position. South Florida high school 4 and 5 star kids tend to prefer the superstar treatment they get from FSU and Miami, so expect Florida to focus on developing 3 stars to perform like 5 stars, minus the sense of entitlement.

awebbf5

VIP Member
True, but we know better. How many fan bases have watched a team go from 0-10-1 to 8-4? Have some faith. Florida has too much talent and too many resources to be down for too long. It took a lot of fluke injuries and depth issues caused by years of coaching changes to get here.

Speaking of coaching changes, do not get comfortable yet. We are about to kick off 2014 with our 3rd OC and OLC in 4 years, 6th in a decade. Expect more turmoil with recruiting and problem players leaving. Kurt Roper has a reputation for being no nonsense: no slackers in practice, no slackers in the classroom, and no attitude problems.

I fully expect a few of our offensive players with discipline issues to be shocked by Roper's hardcore coaching and leave. Cutliffe and Roper together kicked a lot of good athletes off the team for being primadonnas, and they created depth by recruiting multiple players at the same position. South Florida high school 4 and 5 star kids tend to prefer the superstar treatment they get from FSU and Miami, so expect Florida to focus on developing 3 stars to perform like 5 stars, minus the sense of entitlement.
Me personally I like that get those rich spoiled kids and no respect thugs off the team and let's go with the hard working young men who practice and play hard, we have became soft and have almost became thug u ourself. Hope we get some new discipline and showing these young men what most in this country have forgotten, you have to work for things ,not receive handouts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
It is very easy for those of us that played high school football to criticize the college players - of course we never made it ourselves, but we have every right to bitch and moan:(. We think we know better and can do better than the actual players on our team:oops:. AND we are not paid 3 or 5 million dollars to make decisions but it is our right to piss and moan:poop:.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Last time I checked this was a fan message board to discuss , complain, cheer, bitch or whatever about the team we support.

miltongator

Gator Fan
ESPN had the worst plays of the year. The one with our receiver blocking our O-lineman(and winning) was the winner.

It's depressing watching all these bowl games and seeing the level of talent....and knowing we aren't good enough. )(&%%$^&*)(*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema