• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Rankings...

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
Just interested to hear what you guys are thinking about the rankings right now....I'm glad SEC represents the top 2 but I wish it were us lol. For me the most surprising is Clemson....even though it's a softer division I think they would beat us right now sadly...anyways what's your view....

1 LSU (40) 5-0 1473 1
2 Alabama (12) 5-0 1435 3
3 Oklahoma (7) 4-0 1397 2
4 Wisconsin 5-0 1266 7
5 Boise State (1) 4-0 1248 4
6 Oklahoma State 4-0 1191 5
7 Stanford 4-0 1185 6
8 Clemson 5-0 1093 13
9 Oregon 3-1 1028 9
10 Arkansas 4-1 860 18
11 Texas 4-0 833 17
12 Michigan 5-0 812 19
13 Georgia Tech 5-0 667 21
14 Nebraska 4-1 555 8
15 Auburn 4-1 550 NR
16 West Virginia 4-1 544 22
17 Florida 4-1 498 12
18 South Carolina 4-1 487 10
19 Illinois 5-0 428 24
20 Kansas State 4-0 349 NR
21 Virginia Tech 4-1 341 11
22 Arizona State 4-1 256 25
23 Florida State 2-2 237 23
24 Texas A&M 2-2 216 14
25 Baylor 3-1 186 15

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Once again, Boise State has no business being ranked that high. They beat Georgia, sure, but then don't play a ranked team until November when they show up against TCU... and TCU isn't even ranked any more.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Ya even though I know they don't deserve to be there for some reason I wasn't surprised.
Well, Boise State is the feel-good story of the last 5 years, right? I mean, they upset the Sooners, and look at that cornea-destroying blue field! What's not to love?

Move them to Big 12 or even PAC-10 and watch them get demolished regularly and often.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, Boise State is the feel-good story of the last 5 years, right? I mean, they upset the Sooners, and look at that cornea-destroying blue field! What's not to love?

Move them to Big 12 or even PAC-10 and watch them get demolished regularly and often.
EXACTLY. That original Sooners upset was a cute trick back then, but it's a one-time joke that's long since gone stale; now they play a mid-pack SEC team early in the year and get all the same kind of "They're for real!"-BS thrown around by the sports media--a follow-the-leader, "Me too!"-crowd like no other.
Look, they are a well run little program, a perennial powerhouse among "All the rest", outside the Big Boys who sometime soon WILL set themselves apart from the others to form a College Football Championship Association (CFCA), with 4 super-conferences that will go to an end-of-season playoff format AND clear away DECADES of NCAA madness and hypocrisy to set up a sane, scaled-subsidy program for the players (we won't go into THAT here).
Meanwhile, it is absolutely ridiculous and insulting to compare Boise State's schedule to that of ANY of the traditional "Majors", let alone an SEC team. They would WILT in the course of GEORGIA'S schedule, for eg., LONG before they got to "The Cocktail Party"--first the receivers and RBs, then their little linemen would be eliminated, one by one, and finally the by now hardly protected QB. Playing one pretty good team at the start and one really good one at the end (when you no longer have to come back next week) is not even close to the same thing.

Once again, Boise State has no business being ranked that high. They beat Georgia, sure, but then don't play a ranked team until November when they show up against TCU... and TCU isn't even ranked any more.
gotta get over who they play as long as they keep beating the good teams they play

i could see boise beating every team ranked below them

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Everyone assumes that because BSU beat an SEC team that they are legit. Does nobody realize that not all SEC teams are created equally? Granted, most SEC teams are superior to Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 teams, but UGA '11 is not one of them. Ergo, BSU is yet again a load of BS. Granted, they may beat an SEC team in a bowl game, mainly because there is more incentive for them to win than there is for a lower SEC team to win (see Alabama '08).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
gotta get over who they play as long as they keep beating the good teams they play

i could see boise beating every team ranked below them
I'm sorry, G-villeBorn, I find that an outrageous assertion. You are raising two separate points here: the first, that if they played ANY of the "teams currently ranked below them they'd beat them" is an opinion I find unlikely to the point of near-impossibility--but it IS an arguable OPINION, one that each of us can muster comparison data for and, since it won't be proven on the field, must remain, in the end, unanswerable. The larger implied assertion, that they could beat a SCHEDULE of such teams--you know, like the one ANY SEC team's in-conference calendar displays each year (not to mention OURS, THIS year)--I HAVE to say, with complete confidence, is utterly absurd: completely outside the realm of common "reality as we know it".
Is this truly what you believe? You're a bright individual, so I am instead assuming that this is hyperbole on your part: you like and admire their program, as do I, and believe they are better than the nay-sayers maintain, as I do NOT--I feel they have gotten the "kid-gloves"-treatment from writers and media commentators in the same way that they have given THEMSELVES that treatment in the schedule they play. I know, they claim to seek "meaningful games against meaningful opponents", that they are mostly rebuffed, and this has been touted by supporters as "the big guys want no part of them". While there is no doubt some element of that mixed in, the MAIN sticking point has been their insistence on "home-and-home" arrangements--I know and understand THEIR practical reasons (economic, more than anything else) for wanting that condition, but the truth is that the big programs have their own economic AND strategic reasons for declining to grant them that. No room here to go into all of that, but it's an impasse that is not likely to go away.
The main impression is that though Boise is an excellently-run program that gets the most out of what it has access to, the very fact of this last condition, manifested in so many ways on-field (not the least of which is the simple fact that they are SMALLER and lighter at every point on both lines, and generally the skill positions as well--look at our problems just keeping Demps in the game) means that it is not believed that they can survive a complete season against major-program competition without sustaining enormous depletion: based on physics alone, it is simply not credible that their line-up or depth can withstand a whole season of that kind of "irresistible force meeting immovable object".
If they want to "prove" otherwise, they will have to do the equivalent of "barnstorming", scheduling away games against the toughest competition they can find, and do it for the better part of at least one whole season. They won't go undefeated; however, if they hold their own, win their share and, most importantly, are left standing and (mainly) intact by the end, they'll have not only convinced me to change MY stance, the "Big Boys" will grudgingly regard them differently as well. The economics will NEVER be in their favor (and that Blue Field IS a bush-league monstrosity), but if they can prove not only their bigtime toughness but ALSO an ability to fill stadiums, they'll have stepped up into a higher category, at least in terms of national respect.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Everyone assumes that because BSU beat an SEC team that they are legit. Does nobody realize that not all SEC teams are created equally? Granted, most SEC teams are superior to Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12 teams, but UGA '11 is not one of them. Ergo, BSU is yet again a load of BS. Granted, they may beat an SEC team in a bowl game, mainly because there is more incentive for them to win than there is for a lower SEC team to win (see Alabama '08).
Precisely my point above.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Another way to look at this is that any team in the world can beat any other team on any given Saturday. Now challenge them to beat any other team every year on a regular schedule and try not to go 1-9 over the course of a decade.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Or, as an alternative, know and understand your place in the larger scheme of things; be happy and proud of where and what you are, and don't go whining about what you aren't and never will be.
There are risks and sacrifices to be made in any large challenge. Prove it or don't, with action and results, not words and emotional appeals.
(Remember Duco's great line in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", when he's confronted by an old enemy and shoots him from a soapy tub: "When it is time for shooting, don't talk...SHOOT!" I'm sick of all the talk--it proves nothing--and the burden of proof is THEIRS. I don't want to even discuss it until they face a season with a series of back-to-back top-20 challenges.)

forget georgia they beat almost every good team they put in front of them going back to that amazing oklahoma game

uga is what 3rd in the SEC east thats probably the easiest of their tough games

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
forget georgia they beat almost every good team they put in front of them going back to that amazing oklahoma game

uga is what 3rd in the SEC east thats probably the easiest of their tough games
OK, man. I don't know that we're so far apart--except for the actual CONCLUSIONS that we draw from the agreed set of data. I respectfully agree to DISagree...

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Biose St., Clemson, Arkansas, GT is surprising to me....:confused:

Boise ST. Sched.

Georgia, Toledo, Tulsa, Nevada, Fresno State, Colorado State, Air Force ,UNLV ,TCU, San Diego State, Wyoming, New Mexico

I don't see them losing one game in reg. season. No disrespect to any one on their opinions. This schedule isn't even close to a National Championship Team. They only (so far) have played one ranked team this yr. with it being UGA it doesn't carry much IMO. (I'm not letting my UF feeling get in the way with the UGA remark). It was their first game of the year which over ranked them like it does so many every yr..I do believe Boise is good, better then their division foes and what their schedule leads us to believe. But This to me = Big fish in a small pond.

To me putting them up against stronger teams each and every week would get rid or lots of the nah sayers (me included) who say they don't belong. I know there are issues that prevent them from doing so but these are things other programs have to go through to hit the BIG time.

Look at it like this we play #1, #3, #15, #18, #23 IN THE NATION. It's far from just playing one #19 team. The schedule will either make or break you. Just by our schedule we should be in the top twenty all yr..

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Biose St., Clemson, Arkansas, GT is surprising to me....:confused:

Boise ST. Sched.

Georgia, Toledo, Tulsa, Nevada, Fresno State, Colorado State, Air Force ,UNLV ,TCU, San Diego State, Wyoming, New Mexico

I don't see them losing one game in reg. season. No disrespect to any one on their opinions. This schedule isn't even close to a National Championship Team. They only (so far) have played one ranked team this yr. with it being UGA it doesn't carry much IMO. (I'm not letting my UF feeling get in the way with the UGA remark). It was their first game of the year which over ranked them like it does so many every yr..I do believe Boise is good, better then their division foes and what their schedule leads us to believe. But This to me = Big fish in a small pond.

To me putting them up against stronger teams each and every week would get rid or lots of the nah sayers (me included) who say they don't belong. I know there are issues that prevent them from doing so but these are things other programs have to go through to hit the BIG time.

Look at it like this we play #1, #3, #15, #18, #23 IN THE NATION. It's far from just playing one #19 team. The schedule will either make or break you. Just by our schedule we should be in the top twenty all yr..
Yes. Play THAT schedule and I submit they can't match THIS Gator-team's final record--but as it is, we'll never know, hence the "argument", and why I'm mainly DONE with it (at least until I see Boise try something like it).
One last thing I WILL say, though: Check US out in say, 2 years--when we're in the process of steam-rolling through a similar schedule to this one. I say it now, for later: "THAT is what a National Championship candidate looks like!"

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Yes. Play THAT schedule and I submit they can't match THIS Gator-team's final record--but as it is, we'll never know, hence the "argument", and why I'm mainly DONE with it (at least until I see Boise try something like it).
One last thing I WILL say, though: Check US out in say, 2 years--when we're in the process of steam-rolling through a similar schedule to this one. I say it now, for later: "THAT is what a National Championship candidate looks like!"

HECK YEAH, I LIKE IT ALOT....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema