• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Question: What’s Happened To “Mullen the Outstanding Playcaller”?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That’s basically it: my whole “thread” here is simply to ask that question.
Of course, it in turn LEADS to a host of OTHER questions, but let’s start there—and see what it yields in answers.
Then we can perhaps go from there.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Mullen needs an experienced co-OC who sits in the booth and radios down things he cannot see from the ground level. Brian Johnson served in that role last year when the Gator offense was breaking records. Brian Johnson or Billy Gonzalez did the same for Mullen over the years. Garrick McGee is not the right guy for the role because he is "not on the same wavelength" as Mullen since he is new to the staff. Johnson, Gonzalez, and even Hevesy have been calling offensive plays from the sideline or the booth with Mullen for 10-20 years.

Whether we like it or not, Mullen works well with coaches he has known for a long time. Maybe he should call up former QBs Tim Tebow, Alex Smith, or Josh Harris and groom them to be OCs.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mullen needs an experienced co-OC who sits in the booth and radios down things he cannot see from the ground level. Brian Johnson served in that role last year when the Gator offense was breaking records. Brian Johnson or Billy Gonzalez did the same for Mullen over the years. Garrick McGee is not the right guy for the role because he is "not on the same wavelength" as Mullen since he is new to the staff. Johnson, Gonzalez, and even Hevesy have been calling offensive plays from the sideline or the booth with Mullen for 10-20 years.

Whether we like it or not, Mullen works well with coaches he has known for a long time. Maybe he should call up former QBs Tim Tebow, Alex Smith, or Josh Harris and groom them to be OCs.
I really like your thinking vis a vis bringing in one of his past-QBs and grooming him in the OC-spot, planted upstairs.
Perhaps I’m biased, but it strikes me that Tebow himself might be especially fitting in that role—he may suit the position, and the position might WELL-suit HIM!
But here we are now with Mullen needing bigtime help in three major areas, by your own detailed insight and analysis, @Escambia94, :
To bring in and groom that “new OC”; a proper replacement for Grantham at DC; and a “hot young recruiter” (one with connections and to some extent a “team” of his OWN!).
Now come Rick Neuheusel’s comments: A college football “insider” and someone who, if not a confidant, can be said to be “quite friendly” with our Coach, Neuheusel says that Mullen is somewhat “tired of all the static at Florida, and I think would jump at a chance to leave for a Head Coaching position in the NFL after this year, if it came”...
On the other side of this argument are all kinds of “mutterings and indicators”—not least of which is the general feeling and opinion among experts and NFL watchers that generally describe Mullen as “a weird, awkward fit” in the NFL--or, as one wag put it: “With all the problems Urban Meyer is facing now already in Jacksonville, supposedly a ‘perfect fit’ for him there—it was close a fit as he was gonna get!—at this point why would anyone wanna settle for a second-tier version of him somewhere else?!!”
Overall, I tend to go with the bottomline impression that, with the solid support he appears to have from the AD, regents and administrators, and (at least for the moment STILL) important boosters, Dan Mullen will be our Coach in 2022: It may end up “Do or DIE”, and I’ve no idea if he’s even inclined to MAKE the kinds of drastic, dramatic changes that it seems are required, but there it is.
Remember this, though:
When things happen,
They happen FAST—and somewhat unexpectedly here at University of Florida.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Luke Del Rio? He was a quarterback.
After this latest game, I don’t know WHAT to think!
We are in deeper doo doo than even I realized.
The problems appear to run deeper, adequate solutions appear more elusive, currently even unattainable, than we may have realized.
At the moment, I HAVE no quick answers.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
After this latest game, I don’t know WHAT to think!
We are in deeper doo doo than even I realized.
The problems appear to run deeper, adequate solutions appear more elusive, currently even unattainable, than we may have realized.
At the moment, I HAVE no quick answers.

Also, Luke Del Rio is on the Washington Football Team staff as an offensive coach and Austin Appleby is a Receiver Coach at Missouri State.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Also, Luke Del Rio is on the Washington Football Team staff as an offensive coach and Austin Appleby is a Receiver Coach at Missouri State.
Neither is ready for a HEAD coaching job yet, obviously—and even as that “overhead/in the press box” OC position I as us out etc S as pole by is angling got an eventual Texas job...Del Rio might be a “fit” though. However, I have no idea where he stands in the tight-circle that Mullen prefers to have or bring new people into. Don’t know if he’s ready, either; NOT saying “no way”, just don’t have any real feel
either way!

Escambia94

Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby could be good choices, assuming they could earn Dan Mullen's trust. There is no replacing Brian Johnson's 17 years of familiarity with Dan Mullen starting at Utah as QB or John Hevesy's 22 years of familiarity as OL coach at Bowling Green, nor is there a requirement for Mullen's OC to have been a former QB or other positional coach--this is just who Mullen is right now. Can he change his ways and hire outside his coaching tree or Urban Meyer's coaching tree? Sure, he can change, but that change will not occur before this weekend's game or by the end of the season. Could that change occur in time to turn things around in 2022? Maybe. I am not convinced that the fans want to give him the time he needs.

If Mullen is going to succeed at the Gator head coach in 2022 (and there is no guarantee he will not be fired in 2021) then Mullen is going to find an OC who can earn his trust, balance his ego, and call plays that work within his system. The question is whether such an OC would come to Florida knowing that Mullen could be on the hot seat in their first year as an assistant.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
change, but that change will not occur before this weekend's game or by the end of the season. Could that change occur in time to turn things around in 2022? Maybe. I am not convinced that t
Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby could be good choices, assuming they could earn Dan Mullen's trust. There is no replacing Brian Johnson's 17 years of familiarity with Dan Mullen starting at Utah as QB or John Hevesy's 22 years of familiarity as OL coach at Bowling Green, nor is there a requirement for Mullen's OC to have been a former QB or other positional coach--this is just who Mullen is right now. Can he change his ways and hire outside his coaching tree or Urban Meyer's coaching tree? Sure, he can change, but that change will not occur before this weekend's game or by the end of the season. Could that change occur in time to turn things around in 2022? Maybe. I am not convinced that the fans want to give him the time he needs.

If Mullen is going to succeed at the Gator head coach in 2022 (and there is no guarantee he will not be fired in 2021) then Mullen is going to find an OC who can earn his trust, balance his ego, and call plays that work within his system. The question is whether such an OC would come to Florida knowing that Mullen could be on the hot seat in their first year as an assistant.
I am PERSONALLY “willing to give him” that time (both in light of my long time support, AND the continued realization of the talent vacuum currently ongoing in college coaching)—but that is contingent upon consideration and conclusions regarding his own willingness and ABILITY to “change and ADAPT”, as I’ve SAID! His own STUBBORNNESS has been and continues to be the problem on display here.
He’s got to take a good look in the mirror, make some tough choices and self-insights, and go from there.
Looked at a certain way, then, this all could be viewed as an enormous OPPORTUNITY: Mullen COULD, if he had it IN himself to pull it off, make the monumental “INSIDE CHANGES” that could theoretically lift him, us and the whole Florida Gator Football PROGRAM to a new place—and in the process perhaps MAKE HISTORY!
An exaggerated over-statement?!! Perhaps. But it’d be written, covered and described in just such terms, were he to pull it off.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(By the way:
Do y’all suppose ANYONE in the “Florida Braintrust”, among boosters, regents, even Stricklin himself who has entertained or is entertaining ANY of this themselves?
Or is it possible we are just way AHEAD of any or ALL OF THEM??! Oh to be that proverbial “fly-on-the-wall”!)

Escambia94

(By the way:
Do y’all suppose ANYONE in the “Florida Braintrust”, among boosters, regents, even Stricklin himself who has entertained or is entertaining ANY of this themselves?
Or is it possible we are just way AHEAD of any or ALL OF THEM??! Oh to be that proverbial “fly-on-the-wall”!)
First it is important to note the following:
- The athletic director's responsibilities include the hiring and firing of the head coach.
- The head coach's delegated responsibilities include the hiring and firing of the assistant coaches and special assistants.
- The board of trustees can influence, but not directly control any of the above through official function as members of the board or through unofficial channels using influence.
- The boosters who are not members of the board can influence, but not directly control any of the above except through unofficial channels using influence.
- When any of the above lines of responsibility get out of hand, bad things happen.
- Fans have ZERO influence on any of the above unless they are boosters, but then again they would be listed with the boosters and not the fans if they really were boosters and not random shit heads on Reddit and the forums.

It is also important to note the following: college coaches are stubborn, but that can be a good thing if that stubbornness leads to things that make the above groups happy. That being said, everything I posted above is based on my understanding of Dan Mullen. The Florida brain trust has zero input on what is going on in Mullen's head. If the athletic director and board of trustees want to micro-manage the head coach, that usually leads to the head coach leaving. At a school like Florida that would also set a bad example for the next coach because college coaches are stubborn and they would only take jobs that let their stubbornness lead to success.

The answer to the question of whether Florida's brain trust would entertain the idea of Mullen hiring Luke Del Rio, Austin Appleby, or a clone of Steve Spurrier is a resounding "no". If the answer is "yes", then assume Mullen is about to quit because this means the program is broken.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
First it is important to note the following:
- The athletic director's responsibilities include the hiring and firing of the head coach.
- The head coach's delegated responsibilities include the hiring and firing of the assistant coaches and special assistants.
- The board of trustees can influence, but not directly control any of the above through official function as members of the board or through unofficial channels using influence.
- The boosters who are not members of the board can influence, but not directly control any of the above except through unofficial channels using influence.
- When any of the above lines of responsibility get out of hand, bad things happen.
- Fans have ZERO influence on any of the above unless they are boosters, but then again they would be listed with the boosters and not the fans if they really were boosters and not random shit heads on Reddit and the forums.

It is also important to note the following: college coaches are stubborn, but that can be a good thing if that stubbornness leads to things that make the above groups happy. That being said, everything I posted above is based on my understanding of Dan Mullen. The Florida brain trust has zero input on what is going on in Mullen's head. If the athletic director and board of trustees want to micro-manage the head coach, that usually leads to the head coach leaving. At a school like Florida that would also set a bad example for the next coach because college coaches are stubborn and they would only take jobs that let their stubbornness lead to success.

The answer to the question of whether Florida's brain trust would entertain the idea of Mullen hiring Luke Del Rio, Austin Appleby, or a clone of Steve Spurrier is a resounding "no". If the answer is "yes", then assume Mullen is about to quit because this means the program is broken.
Well, I do understand and am fully in step with you until the very end of the last sentence, sir...Except for the fact that I THINK “The program IS broken!!!”.
OK then: The question then becomes, in which respects and to what degree IS it “BROKEN”?
Can this Head Coach FIX IT?
Were these latest changes HIS idea, or did they originate “from on high”??!
These are crucial questions now.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Also worth considering is the question that, like it or not, deep down I feel like we are ALL asking:
Whether it was his idea or not...) Had Mullen done this after LAST season, would it more likely “been enough”??!
Would we now be in a much different position, indeed on a more hopeful “way BACK UP” at this point, rather than in a loser’s freefall, spiraling hopelessly downward??!
Even then, when he chose to retain Grantham at season’s end, there was a widespread feeling that this was the BIG CHOICE, the crucial gamble that sealed our fate under this regime, one way or the other.
Came up “SNAKE EYES”, it turns out.
What might have been a “just-in-time change-in-direction” now becomes “too-little-too-LATE”???
I just don’t see “WINNING OUT” from here as enough to redeem ANYTHING for us now.
Not with another wilted recruiting cycle, to boot.
PLEASE: SHOW ME REASON FOR HOPE, OPTIMISM.

Escambia94

Well, I do understand and am fully in step with you until the very end of the last sentence, sir...Except for the fact that I THINK “The program IS broken!!!”.
OK then: The question then becomes, in which respects and to what degree IS it “BROKEN”?
Can this Head Coach FIX IT?
Were these latest changes HIS idea, or did they originate “from on high”??!
These are crucial questions now.
Dan Mullen fixed a lot of things that we are overlooking as fans. For one, think of the last time that the Gators had players arrested, suspended, or expelled.

2014 recruiting class had 1 five-star, 12 four-star, and 11 three-star athletes. 7 transferred out, 2 medically retired, and 3 were dismissed. 8 players made it into the NFL, including 2 former Gators.
2015 recruiting class had 2 five-star, 6 four-star, and 12 three-star athletes in McElwain's transitional class. 8 transferred out, 1 medically retired, and 2 were dismissed. 3 players made it into the NFL, 2 under Mullen.
2016 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 10 four-star, 12 three-star, and 2 two-star athletes in McElwain's 1st full class. 1 recruit failed to qualify academically, 2 transferred out (1 for family), 0 were dismissed. 14 made it to the NFL under Mullen.
2017 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 15 four-star, 7 three-star, and 1 two-star athletes in McElwain's last class. 2 recruits failed to academically qualify, 3 were dismissed before Mullen's tenure. 2 medically retired. 1 failed to academically qualify (and re-enrolled at UF in 2021 only to leave again). 4 transferred out. 5 made it to the NFL under Mullen.
2018 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star, 5 three-star athletes, and 2 four-star transfers in Mullen's first class. 2 recruits were dismissed prior to the season. 2 players medically retired. 3 transferred out. 5 made it to the NFL under Mullen. 10 players still active in 2021.
2019 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star athletes in Mullen's second class. 2 recruits dismissed prior to the season. 3 players failed to academically qualify. 3 players transferred. 17 players still active in 2021.
2020 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star athletes in Mullen's third class, with 3 former five-star transfers. 2 recruits failed to academically qualify, 1 transferred. 24 players still active in 2021.
2021 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 11 four-star athletes in Mullen's fourth class, with 1 former five-star and 2 former four-star athletes. 26 players still active in 2021.

The trend here is that Mullen has fewer arrests, suspensions and dismissals, an equal amount of five-stars, and 5-6 times as many NFL players. Mullen has fixed certain parts of the program. He still has to fix recruiting out of high school, because there will not always be former five-star athletes in the transfer portal.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dan Mullen fixed a lot of things that we are overlooking as fans. For one, think of the last time that the Gators had players arrested, suspended, or expelled.

2014 recruiting class had 1 five-star, 12 four-star, and 11 three-star athletes. 7 transferred out, 2 medically retired, and 3 were dismissed. 8 players made it into the NFL, including 2 former Gators.
2015 recruiting class had 2 five-star, 6 four-star, and 12 three-star athletes in McElwain's transitional class. 8 transferred out, 1 medically retired, and 2 were dismissed. 3 players made it into the NFL, 2 under Mullen.
2016 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 10 four-star, 12 three-star, and 2 two-star athletes in McElwain's 1st full class. 1 recruit failed to qualify academically, 2 transferred out (1 for family), 0 were dismissed. 14 made it to the NFL under Mullen.
2017 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 15 four-star, 7 three-star, and 1 two-star athletes in McElwain's last class. 2 recruits failed to academically qualify, 3 were dismissed before Mullen's tenure. 2 medically retired. 1 failed to academically qualify (and re-enrolled at UF in 2021 only to leave again). 4 transferred out. 5 made it to the NFL under Mullen.
2018 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star, 5 three-star athletes, and 2 four-star transfers in Mullen's first class. 2 recruits were dismissed prior to the season. 2 players medically retired. 3 transferred out. 5 made it to the NFL under Mullen. 10 players still active in 2021.
2019 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star athletes in Mullen's second class. 2 recruits dismissed prior to the season. 3 players failed to academically qualify. 3 players transferred. 17 players still active in 2021.
2020 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 14 four-star athletes in Mullen's third class, with 3 former five-star transfers. 2 recruits failed to academically qualify, 1 transferred. 24 players still active in 2021.
2021 recruiting class had 0 five-star, 11 four-star athletes in Mullen's fourth class, with 1 former five-star and 2 former four-star athletes. 26 players still active in 2021.

The trend here is that Mullen has fewer arrests, suspensions and dismissals, an equal amount of five-stars, and 5-6 times as many NFL players. Mullen has fixed certain parts of the program. He still has to fix recruiting out of high school, because there will not always be former five-star athletes in the transfer portal.
As usual, you make good, solid points that are and (apparently) have been too easy for many fans and commentators to overlook before now (myself included, at times—though maybe less than you think: There are REASONS that I have supported Dan Mullen for so long—and am able and willing to “suspend judgement” even now!)...
However, that cuts both ways, and some troubling weaknesses and blind spots have worsened, at the very least NOT been addressed even as they grew—and it has all begun to tell.
I don’t know how else to explain how it all appears to have coalesced into what has now manifested as a strange, sad “riches-to-RAGS” story.
What had been an encouraging and hopeful tale of turnaround and growing improvement has seemingly fast-faded and become one of let down and self-delusion.
No matter what, the current “status quo” is simply unacceptable—and you know it as well as I do, E—.
It must be clearly and obviously fully turned back, these “trends” reversed:
High school recruiting (ESPECIALLY in FLORIDA) dramatically improved, annually dominated by us most years, depth and consistency-of-play returned to high standard too, across-the-board. Surely it isn’t just ONE GUY (now in Tuscaloosa) who can see and consciously strive for the kind of thorough competence and attention-to-DETAIL that we have come to expect as the standard here at UF.
The patchy imperfection and lack of consistency SHOULD have been found wanting and addressed by our Coach and staff long before now, don’t you think? What’s going ON with THAT?
It shouldn’t have come to this, we shouldn’t have been in a state of defenseless collapse before we all were suddenly asking, “What the HELL is going WRONG??!”
Can we NOT have young men of great talent AND good character? I just cannot accept that there are not young men who embody BOTH—or that UF cannot, HAVE not established themselves a well-established and proud home to those who do.
I have noted with satisfaction and pride as Mullen has worked and (seemingly up to about a year ago) SUCCEEDED in moving forward with exactly that standard held close and high! If he can somehow get us back on track with those values fully intact, that would be ideal.
I’m just not so sure that somehow his human weaknesses haven’t out stripped his own principles and strength-of-character, allowing him (and US) to lose his way.
And when THAT happens, there is seldom any clear way back—not without some time lost-in-the-wilderness before refinding and rebuilding one’s dream somewhere else.
His fate isn’t NECESSARILY “sealed”—but to “rise again in place” is the story LESS OFTEN seen or heard, you must admit.
Getting from “back in the fight, NEAR the TOP” is a different road and process than then getting from there TO CHAMPIONSHIPS!
It is starting to LOOK like our Coach is a guy who can take a program “on the outside” and bring them into contention among that first group, but ISN’T (or at least hasn’t yet mastered the role of) someone who can manage all the fine points of bringing off that last, huge step.
Does he HAVE a viable PLAN to GET there? And will he GET the opportunity to now try and see it through HERE, if so?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema