• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 3: Florida Gators 48 vs Colorado State Rams 10 9/15/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Florida Gators will face the Colorado State Rams Saturday at 4:00 p.m. EDT in at Steve Spurrier- Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, FL. Radio coverage of the game will begin at 12 p.m. EDT on ESPN 98.1 FM/850 AM WRUF. The game will be televised on the SEC Network.

The Rams are a pass-heavy team without question, as starting quarterback KJ Carta-Samuels is currently 2nd in passing yards among all Division I quarterbacks. Rams wide receiver Preston Williams is a scoring threat who who transferred to Colorado State from the University of Tennessee. He’s no stranger to Florida. The Rams are coming off an upset victory over the Arkansas Razorbacks, so they are not short on confidence

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not exactly the "patsy" we thought we were getting as part of the "MacDEAL" made when we brought in our LAST Coach/"Savior of the Moment" a few years back. As things turned out, that one milked us, wallowed in self-pity and presided over our continued slide, while his former team upgraded and gathered its own forward momentum.
Oh well: As I THINK we've all come to agree, rather than a "must win", this is just "the first game in the rest of our long march back". Among all the questions we're here to see answered coming INto this one is perhaps the simplest and most profound one ANY once-great team, now mired in adversity, must ask itself: Who are we? What kind of team are we ready to BE--right here, right now?
Never mind who the OTHER guys are: Let us assume that the opposition is coming in with its OWN confidence, its own chip on its shoulder: They've circled this date for their own reasons, are psyched and highly motivated to give us their best game. They're counting on our disarray and our arrogance. Are they right? We have got to disabuse them of both notions.
I'll be looking to see the character of certain individuals themselves on our side, but more the pride, discipline and determination with which we respond to last week's loss, the lessons learned there and the degree to which we have redoubled all effort in practice the past week, and emerge now with poise and toughness, new found solidarity and strength AS A TEAM.
No less important is what we are able to see of our Coach and staff's own responses, how they have helped everyone maximize their "recovery" emotionally, installed fresh hope and an effective gameplan--USED whatever they could to "turn a negative into a positive".
I don't know exactly what to expect: I am TRYING to approach this one with a step back and an objective readiness to WATCH, SEE AND JUDGE what we got, how much WORK we really have yet to do. And that goes beyond the actual score.
Oh, of COURSE we'd like a win. But we just don't know yet how good we or THEY are; for us now, how well WE come out and play is paramount. A strong, start-to-finish showing against a good and ready team is more important I think here than some weak and bumbling "survival" against a squad it turns out we SHOULD have buried, early and often--"y'all feel me"???
Right at this moment, as much as CSU, WE FACE OURSELVES! How this team, players and coaches, as individuals, units and as a "TEAM", responds to all that has led UP to this one is key now...
I ask again:
"WHO ARE WE? WHAT KIND OF TEAM ARE WE READY TO BE?"

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Rams quarterback K.J. Carta-Samuels ranks fifth in the FBS in passing years, averaging 367.3 yards per game, and is second in the FBS in terms of passing efficiency. Carta-Samuels is a graduate transfer from Washington, who set a Washington record with 537 yards in his debut, a 43-34 loss to Hawaii. He was 22 of 27 for 291 yards and two touchdowns in the second half of last week's comeback win against Arkansas.

CSU beat Arkansas with a consistent aerial attack. Expect the two Rams transfer players, K.J. Carta-Samuels (Washington) and Preston Williams (Tennessee) to connect frequently. If Florida can keep Williams under 100 yards and Carta-Samuels around 200 yards, the Gators can manage a win.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GatorsFB/status/1040631259922259968?s=19
[/TWEET]
The Gators will be wearing orange and white jerseys today.
NOT my favorite...I guess with the move to Jordans etc (which is big news "out there among the kids"--even purported to affect recruiting, according to anecdotal AND poling research), they are gonna try and show all they GOT as far as unis, early and often...And hey, the VARIOUS styles available now in Gator design for a wide range of shoe TYPES--from cleated to cross trainers to court shoes--are all so COOL: I wanted a pair of the hightops, which out here I had to order prepaid and was told "it'd be a bit of a wait..." They were already "SOLD OUT in preorder"!
(Btw, just mentioned: "Discussion of SEC in general and Gator game in particular 'Coming Up' on Sportscenter" here in a little while)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rams quarterback K.J. Carta-Samuels ranks fifth in the FBS in passing years, averaging 367.3 yards per game, and is second in the FBS in terms of passing efficiency. Carta-Samuels is a graduate transfer from Washington, who set a Washington record with 537 yards in his debut, a 43-34 loss to Hawaii. He was 22 of 27 for 291 yards and two touchdowns in the second half of last week's comeback win against Arkansas.

CSU beat Arkansas with a consistent aerial attack. Expect the two Rams transfer players, K.J. Carta-Samuels (Washington) and Preston Williams (Tennessee) to connect frequently. If Florida can keep Williams under 100 yards and Carta-Samuels around 200 yards, the Gators can manage a win.
We GOTTA get pressure on their QB.
TT stresses the reasons that is so, supports his arguments with statistical facts... We could play well and still EASILY lose this game. (And btw, TT is very good as an analyst, don't y'all agree? Shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose: He is good at EVERYTHING he tries to do, after all: Had the face, voice and winning personality to start with, of course, and is always ready willing and able to "put the work in", PREPARE for success!)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Aw, this is exactly what I dreaded: Even a week later, with a big hurricane bearing down on the SE coast and a fresh slate of interesting games, the media fools at ESPN and elsewhere are STILL all over the place with UK and "The Streak" vs UF--not even with the facts of everything weird that occurred for it to happen this time, but JUST with it having finally HAPPENED at ALL--so that WE have to turn it down or change channels to escape stupid bits of unfunny supposed "comedy"...like an ESPN analyst being dangled out the window of a dorm to "force" him to publicly retract his earlier prediction of a Florida win, and so on; only Tebow is given the extra time, which he seizes, to make his point about what happened on the Gator side and that they have "the right Coach now" in Mullens, and a bright future in Gainesville. It was obviously gonna GO this way with lazy, facile "journalism" so often expedient, even encouraged in the disposable world of broadcast television--but it is absolutely THE WORST from the POV of Gator fans.
They are by now just SLAMMING us in the most dismissive terms as far as us AND FSU's current AND longterm prospects as once dominant programs whose huge fan bases have high expectations--I mean, talk about your "self-fulfilling prophecies"! Their loud proclamations of where we are supposedly at already, and the way they cover what ensues from here (which short term may well be more-of-same, "get worse before it gets better" in terms of record and rebuilding), warns of worse, more negative and dismissive coverage (in fact much LESS coverage) overall is what we can expect now. Only the fact of Tebow keeps us "out there" for now...I don't even wanna TALK about (let alone really focus on) how things will get and STAY if we keep losing, looking bad. It could happen, with our schedule and our remaining questionmark-veterans in the lockerroom starting to bail on the program, look ahead to their imagined draft rankings and pending move to Sunday play (those guys and that attitude has been and continues to be a big part of our ongoing difficulties, disappointments and letdowns in the first place, btw), well, it could all ACCELERATE downhill from here after all.
But we'll deal with that if/when it actually HAPPENS. For now, for US it really is "day-by-day, game-by-game". That's how our Coaches and lockerroom leaders (do we HAVE any of those anymore?!!) HAVE to approach things now, get the rest of the team pulling TOGETHER towards too, rest of the way.
As for this game right in front of us NOW, while there are a LOT of obvious "MUST DO's for us coming in, we start with the ones WE definitely have control over ourselves: (1) Defense...Gotta keep the score down, obviously--and we DO have the talent to match up against their passing offense, IF they are healthy enough to be and stay out there, frustrate QB and receivers throughout the game, and (2) The Gator RUNNING GAME must be asserted, given a chance to take control: WTF was going on LAST week? I like that Franks seems to HAVE THE arm and skills to sling it araound, can deliver when it's there and/or we really NEED it, but last Sat against UK the gameplan didn't appear to even include consideration of our "multi-headed monster's" potential to both wear a defense down and set them UP for later-in-game benefits, eventual payoff; Does not, DID not seem like Mullens' cerebral approach to using what you've got, stick to a game plan (at least long enough to see if it has merit before casting it aside--last week it looked like the RBs either WEREN'T in the plan, which seems ridiculous, or somehow never got going and never gotten BACK to), and that seemed, SEEMS strange.
Hey: A coaching-staff can "have a bad game" too, right?
All in all, this one will tell US a lot indeed.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Getting "antsy" again here... Like last week, just too much waiting and THINKING, worrying about all the stuff I'm belatedly hearing all about the opponent in these last few hours before kickoff--just as the players prob do themselves bout now. HELL with that! Gonna, GOTTA give it a REST til nearer gametime: MAY just go out, get some things, distract myself for a while now, maybe make it back to monitor earlier games--but I am soon DONE with this "emotional nail-biting"...
One more observation, though:
Today, and for this team basically for EVERY game the rest of the way, we will NEED to see some of our "talented guys" at the skill positions step up to finally become STARS: We are just not enough a together, plug-in-the-"next guy up"-TEAM yet to beat good teams consistently WITHOUT "breakout petformances" from the most talented, once-ballyhooed former top recruits still here in our program. If they are all "looking ahead" to the PRO careers they anticipate moving on to soon, well, perhaps they should be encouraged to GET OUT OF THE WAY NOW: Not exactly "getting it done on the field", arguably a number of them MAY be doing more harm than good everywhere ELSE in the effort to pull it together, be that "team we are GOING to be". Some of these young men have shown all KINDS of promise, but little MORE--and gentlemen, for y'all at least here, "Time is running out!"...and BTW: What you've shown so far isn't exactly solidifying your anticipated "draft status".
Here's a novel thought: How bout paying more attention to your coaches and teamates, getting with the program and redoubling your shared efforts to execute the game plans? In the past, the resulting in game, onfield success has produced just the sort of numbers and focus of attention you CAME to Florida for in the first place.
Of course, personally I am anticipating (and I believe this Head Coach and HIS people aiming for) a shift more to the kinds of guys who have that "committment to shared trust" in the first place coming in. We shouldn't have to be needing to CONVINCE a kid that there are benefits to all working hard, working together, start to finish. For now, kid who doesn't get that'd have to be from the planet Krypton to be a "big recruiting target" for THIS staff, I think--and STILL not pursued if thought to be "lockerroom poison" again. "Character" is, has GOT to be a consciously considered factor and variable from here for us...We have, still ARE paying for the way that has been not just missing, but virtually IGNORED by every Coach here since (and of course including) Meyer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(one eye on FSU at Syracuse...Orange team has already HAD its chances to take control, and HASN'T...WR just dropped a breakaway TD pass perfectly thrown, zinged right into receiver's hands over shoulder on run, but dropped: 'Noles will eventually do enough to pull this out later on, looks like, but they are definitely looking beatable again, even against a fairly inept Syracuse team. This isn't a time to be measuring ourselves against ANY team in particular, and that goes double now and in relation to our cross-state rival--but still, gotta say it: We should DAMN well be ready to play and BEAT the team I'm watching out there right now. Maybe they'll be better by then--but again, we DAMN well BETTER be! That sort of growth and improvement, "showing up" ready-to-play against that "cross-state rival" in our last (scheduled) game of the season, no matter HOW the rest of the season has gone.
I'm gettin'outta here, away from the screen and my nerve-fueled rambling for a few hours... See y'all at kickoff

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK...I got caught in traffic near UT (I'm an idiot), but I'm back and watching... Just in time to see us get the ball deep...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, at least we are running the ball--but even without penalties, maybe thats time for pass? We have trends to break, and CHANCES TO TAKE HERE: We look flat again, too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DAMN--we are moving backwards. At least OUR dumbass cancelled by THEIR dumbass.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Crap. Poor protection. Already signs we HAVEN'T made a lot of progress on offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Frankly, I am surprised at Mullens: Sure, we don't know exactly WHAT happened with the play-calling LAST week, why our running game took a DISTANT backseat...and I figured that wouldn't be the case this time around--But still, I get tge impression he is normally flexible, and this was the place to SEIZE THE MOMENT, I think. THEY are gonna ATTACK us (here they come), and we will HAVE to score a lotta pounts, I fear...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...giving up chunks of field here...SHOUKD have been picked, but not a receiver.
Big down here: stop or fall behind.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Broken tackles again. We are simply team we LOOKED like last week, I think.
Here we go again...At least held em to....
A MISS! YES. Small victories add up.
Lead us, Gator D!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tine for a drive--and strength of run game, its later game payoff notwithstanding, lets not eschew the long pass--it has been missing for years, and finally showed in game 1...gotta get BACK to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema