• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread: Week 12: #10 Florida Gators 23, Missouri Tigers 6 11/16/19

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida Missouri 1963.jpg

November 16, 2019 at 12:00 PM EST, Columbia Memorial Stadium, Columbia, Missouri
CBS TV: Carter Blackburn, Rick Neuheisel, Aaron Taylor, John Scriffen
IMG Radio/ WRUF: Mick Hubert, Lee McGriff, Tate Casey
Sirius XM: 135/ 192
Florida is favored by 7, with the over/under at 48 points.

The Florida Gators (8-2, 5-2) head into Columbia to face the Missouri Tigers (5-4, 2-3) for their final SEC East game, and final game in the "Tiger series" (Towson, Auburn, LSU, Missouri). The Gators are #10 in the CFP rankings, one spot ahead of their ranking this time last year. The Gators have been ranked in the top 10 in 11 of the last 13 AP Top 25 polls, which is their longest stretch since 2012-2013. Florida's passing offense is ranked #25 in the nation, which is the highest it has been ranked since 2010, and the first time it has been ranked in the top half of the nation since 2011! The Gators have no realistic shot at the SEC East title and an opportunity to play in the SEC championship game, but they are in the hunt for a second consecutive New Year's Six bowl game (likely against Penn State) if they win out. The last time the Gators had back-to-back NY6 bowl games was 2008/ 2009 (BCS National Championship Game and Sugar Bowl). The Gators have just one NY6 bowl game appearance since then--the 2013 Sugar Bowl.

The Gators have 2,475 yards passing, which is the first time since 2009 that the Gators had more than 2,300 yards at this point in the season. Kyle Trask is one of 27 FBS quarterbacks to throw 19 touchdowns this year, and he is one of only five to do so in under 240 attempts. Trask is the first Gator quarterback to throw for 300+ yards multiple times this year since Tim Tebow, and the first since Chris Leak to do so against SEC opponents. Trask's 363 passing yards were the highest for a Gator since Tebow threw for 482 against Cincinnati in the 2010 Sugar Bowl, and was the highest total against an SEC opponent since Rex Grossman threw for 375 against Kentucky in 2002. Trask joins Leak as the only Gators to throw for 300+ yards in multiple games in a season, and as the only Gators to do so against SEC opponents.

Florida has eight different players with 150+ receiving yards for the first time since 1992. Florida is one of six teams with at least four receivers with 375+ yards, 25+ receptions, and 3+ touchdowns. The Gators are one of the five most explosive passing offenses in the nation with 8+ plays of 60+ yards (6 from NFL Draft eligible upperclassmen). Kyle Pitts is one of four FBS tight ends with 5+ games of 60+ yards, and is one of three Gator tight ends with 5+ in a career. He is also the fourth Gator tight end to record 100+ yards receiving since 1996.

Florida has the sixth-best kicker, fifth-best punter, and overall top-5 special teams in the nation.

The Gator defense is third in "havoc rate" with 21 takeaways--14 by interception.

The Gators are outscoring opponents 113-29 in the fourth quarter, 203-66 in the second half (compared to 130-84 in the first half). The Gator defense works best in the Red Zone, where they are fifth in the nation in opponent Red Zone touchdown percentage and sixth in overall Red Zone defense. Overall, the Gator defense is ranked ninth in the nation in scoring defense.

Although the rushing game has been frustratingly inconsistent, the Gators have set a single-season record with 3 rushing plays of 75+ yards. Until this year, the 1982 Gators and the 2008 Gators held the record with 2 such plays. Lamical Perine's 88-yard touchdown against Auburn was the fifth-longest in Gator history and longest since Emmitt Smith ran 96 yards against Mississippi State in 1988.

The Gators have scored in 395 consecutive games, which is an NCAA record.

Missouri is looking to end a three-game slide where they have been outscored 21-77. Missouri can easily point out the injury to Kelly Bryant. Taylor Powell and Connor Bazelak are barely serviceable at quarterback, so if Bryant is not healthy then expect the Tigers to run Larry Rountree all day. Tyler Badie and Dawson Downing will help take the load off Rountree against a good Gator defense. Missouri is 5-0 when running for more than 165 yards, but Florida has only allowed more than 140 yards to LSU and South Carolina. The Tiger defense has no pass rush to speak of, so they will depend on a decent pass defense to control the Gator offense.

As long as the Gators do not fumble or throw the ball away as they typically do against Mizzou, the Gators should win this one 32-10.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
They need to win this game and hope that UGA lost to Auburn and Texas A&M to win the SEC EAST (I know unlikely but there's a chance).

Escambia94

They need to win this game and hope that UGA lost to Auburn and Texas A&M to win the SEC EAST (I know unlikely but there's a chance).
Hope is not a good strategy. I am hoping for a New Year’s Six bowl, maybe against Penn State, Indiana, or Wisconsin in the Citrus Bowl.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You wanna “hope” for mediocrity, or PLAN for Championships?
I have placed a personal moratorium on banging my head against the wall: If the folks I talk with each week as we watch these same games STILL don’t see our “close whiffs” and “total misses” as anything but “cause for hope”, well, all I can respond with is that here we are basically DOMINATING a team in their place and the best we can say at this point is that “well, we’re still up 3 points!”
Day must come when we start PINBALLING the scoreboards on days like this. ‘Course, we’ll need a first class QB for that (as opposed to a pretty damn good imitation of ALMOST a First Rate QB...oops. Steam coming out some worshipful fan’s ears...At this point in a “decent, almost first rate SEASON”...I don’t really care anymore...)
What you see is what you get, my friends. All things carrying similarly forward, this is about what this whole game will amount to...AND, might as well face it, continuing this SEASON “similarly forward” will bring much the same as last at its end: MAYBE one more win.
I leave you once again with this same thought:
Even were that to be the case (and it IS our “best case scenario” from here as far as our TEAM’S control over its destiny), when does that become “NOT GOOD ENOUGH”???
I woulda said after LAST SEASON—but then we had all those injuries, so it bumped us back, I cAn’t really argue with that...and after Felipe went down, Trask was called upon (a SECOND TIME, even earlier than LAST season) to step up and in; and well, YES, of COURSE, He’s done a splendid job getting us back in range of LAST year’s success...BUT: NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS, WE HAVE GOT TO BREAK THIS CYCLE, BREAK THIS MOLD, BREAK THIS MOULDY CYCLE (LOL), Damnit!!!
Filipe Franks wasn’t good enough to take us where we needed going no matter what—no matter the arguments regarding his ongoing development this season, whether Trask’s performance was already “a step up”—it certainly wasn’t ENOUGH of a “Step Up”: That much we can see from 20/20 hindsight—and NOT just by HIS results but by everyone else across the whole college football WORLD meanwhile up til now. We DIDN’T have “it”, we DON’T have “it”, WE WILL NOT HAVE “IT”—NOT Until we finally UPGRADE FULLY AT QB!
...Now, I happen to believe we very well might already HAVE That “UPGRADE” backing up Kyle Trask here—but unfortunately, for whatever reasons Dan Mullens insists it isn’t the proper time to begin to find out and develop him, he continues to use Emory Jones in a VERY restricted “package” that varies only within the most stringently varied ways. As the “possibilities” as to our ultimate goals dwindle beyond our control, you have to wonder when/where/how we stop worrying about the goals and ultimate satisfaction of our fans’ “dreams” for this season and the larger context of what we all envision for our long term health and success must be taken into consideration.
I believe Dan Mullens sees it—and that those who DON’T may find themselves falling behind what’s coming, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE REMAINDER OF THIS SEASON BRINGS.
I can only return to my “Ultimate”, Penultimate, and Bottomline SURROUNDING TRUTH” here:
The ONLY way we get into that group we strive not just to join, but to LEAD here is to get and KEEP SOME FIRST RATE QUARTERBACKS. We see them going down right and left across the BOARD—it’s LOOKING like the winner this year COULD be the program with that DOESN’T lose their BEST QB down the stretch—or maybe the one who’s “best remaining” QB is better than, or at least HOTTER THAN the OTHER team’s QB will be the winner in a one-off, one-shot, last-game deal. Could go that way this year, BUT: You can’t plan your PROGRAM that way.
For Florida, then, Our FUTURE WILL DEPEND ENTIRELY UPON RECRUITING.
I HAVE NO CONCERN ABOUT ANY OTHER ASPECT OF Coach Dan and our Program...It all comes down to recruiting and the squad we are “THIS CLOSE” to having in place (an O-line plus a 5-star QB)...and in our state’n’region, the current state of our competitors’ programs, we OUGHT to have as close to “our pickings” as has, is or WILL be the case for some years to come!!! I’ve made clear both the promise and (if missed) danger this all amounts to...
“COACH DAN: PLEASE!
DO WHAT NEEDS DOING!
YOU'RE ONE SMART DUDE WHEN IT COMES TO ASSEMBLING, COACHING UP AND EMOTIONALLY PREPARING A FIRST CLASS FOOTBALL PROGRAM...
HERE’S THE BEST CHANCE YOU’LL EVER HAVE, AT THE PROGRAM OF YOUR DREAMS—but you have to turn your attention to it NOW: Prepare to turn your attention to that future, even as your current team, yes, completes the details of THIS “run”, the last few compliments of THIS year.
Now, personally, I have made my feelings regarding how we maximize our success in finishing THIS season clear; for Gator fans, it’s hard to get too cranked about “who should get into the #4 spot of the playoffs” blah blah blah...
For us in ‘19 it has been reduced to “What bowl do we get?”, “Who do we go up against at what time of day?” and “What’ll our overall national attention-factor be?...Y’all have been so concerned with that “National q-rating” just because of our various alumni’s growing/return to higher profile on the in-between shows...I maintain all that is completely beaten by the inherent answers to those last questions posed.
No, I’m just grabbing at all the admittedly silly straws that the rest of the college football world can concern themselves with now—there’s the handful of things left to be determined for US for THIS year—But then the MAIN DEAL is to turn to NEXT YEAR AND BEYOND: AND THAT IS
ALL ABOUT RECRUITING.

Escambia94

The way this Gator team is playing, we definitely should not be looking at the SEC East. One could argue that we should not be looking at a NY6 bowl.

Escambia94

The referees better not be calling pass interference on the Gators. That was an obvious hold that the refs let slide.

Escambia94

1st and 10 after the holding penalty. Loss of 15 yards for head-butting by Grimes. Silly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema