• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 11: #15 Florida Gators 35, South Carolina Gamecocks 31- November 10, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Minimum effort:
November 10, 2018. 12:00 P.M. ET NOON.
ESPN. WatchESPN Video. XM 191. Sirius 191.

The ESPN Crew will be Dave Pasch, Greg McElroy, and Tom Luginbil, but I will be listening to Sports Hall of Fame broadcaster, Mick Hubert.

Florida favored by 6, the line is 54. I refuse to make a prediction.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(@Escambia94, : I was a little afraid NONE of us would show up here this week: We were all in varying states of "minimally present" last Sat in wake of the Georgia loss, I think--sort of similar to the Gator players, as a "TEAM", right? If us, the Swamp crowd, and the whole "down vibe" around the team continue in this direction, I begin to wonder, WHAT'S THE POINT? I'm ALREADY getting sick of myself!)

Well, we will never know for sure what Mullen was going to do and/or how he planned to do it, likewise what the outcome might have been, but presumptive "first time starter"-Trask broke his foot on a no-contact drill Wed aft, one involving running through a trick play where he handed off and was supposed to have the ball thrown to him...only he "heard/felt a pop" when he planted his pivot foot, and was carted off. That was that. Mighta been a dazzling touchdown during a game, but by now it was pretty clear to EVERYONE already Franks'd make a better receiver than thrower out there, so most of the "surprise" is drained from such a play with Franks running it again instead.
So: Run it with Jones? Mmmm, being a bit ironic/sardonic there: Gonna take a whole lot more change, practice, flexibility, adaptation, growth, faith and LUCK than that to make Jones' elevation, even a fairly successful one, enough at this point...
Barring some miraculous switch being thrown within Filippe, suddenly making him an accurate passer, or Mullen somehow installs and has his charges adequately mastering the triple option by Saturday, it is either Jones coming in and coming THROUGH often and strong enough to throw at least 3 touchdowns, and/or the line, RBs, special teams and athletic playmakers combining for a ground- and clock-dominating performance, and/or Grantham's defense returning to earlier form and pitching a shutout, OR WE LOSE.
And let's face it, what I just said in that last sentence, long odds though it may require, is in truth more hopeful-sounding than the actual likelihood any (let alone all) of that coming to pass.
So I'm not sure how y'all feel, but now all I'VE got left is to HOPE AGAINST HOPE these Gators somehow make me look and feel like just another ungrateful and faithless "fair weather fan".
"COME ON, GATORS! SHOW ME UP!!! MAKE ME THAT GUY!"
SHOW me I'M the loser--not y'all!

Escambia94

Meanwhile, check out this article about the one that got away, Will Grier: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-and-the-decision-that-transformed-his-career.

This week's opposing coach, Will Muschamp, says Grier would have stayed at Florida if he had not injured himself in weight training his true freshman year. I read into that as: "If Jim McDeathThreats had installed an actual strength and conditioning program, Grier would not have hurt himself his freshman year, and would not have gone off campus for nutrition pills."

This week we get to play against the Gators' former head coach, the one that recruited Will Grier. WVU vs TCU will be on TV at the same time as the Florida vs South Carolina game, so the Gator fans watching from home will be able to track what could have been by looking at the score ticker on the bottom of the screen. More than likely they are going to see the UF vs USCe score being at most 21-14, while WVU vs TCU will be 77-66. Grier will have 500 yards and 5 TDs, while his replacement, Feleipe Franks, will have 50 yards and 2 interceptions.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, check out this article about the one that got away, Will Grier: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-and-the-decision-that-transformed-his-career.
This week's opposing coach, Will Muschamp, says Grier would have stayed at Florida if he had not injured himself in weight training his true freshman year. I read into that as: "If Jim McDeathThreats had installed an actual strength and conditioning program, Grier would not have hurt himself his freshman year, and would not have gone off campus for nutrition pills."

This week we get to play against the Gators' former head coach, the one that recruited Will Grier. WVU vs TCU will be on TV at the same time as the Florida vs South Carolina game, so the Gator fans watching from home will be able to track what could have been by looking at the score ticker on the bottom of the screen. More than likely they are going to see the UF vs USCe score being at most 21-14, while WVU vs TCU will be 77-66. Grier will have 500 yards and 5 TDs, while his replacement, Feleipe Franks, will have 50 yards and 2 interceptions.
Your latest post says it ALL.
--"Does it HURT?"
--"Only when I laugh..."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS @Escambia94, ).
I couldn't read the whole Grier article, btw; Your summary covered and MADE the salient points, to begin with--and the details in general amount to a litany of EVERYTHING that has been dragging us down for a decade at UF, in particular a sharp portrait of MacEllwaine's specific failures as a Coach AND a MAN.
I won't say that about Muschamp (he DID get the right guy, it turns out, for one thing--and he wasn't/isn't a bad guy--or COACH, as he learns and grows, as do we all, it turns out)...but how ridiculous (or just professional miscalculation by the otherwise highly respected Slive) was it to hire as Head Coach a guy who even still NEEDED to learn fundamental lessons about self-control AND the value of "mutual trust and respect" in building a team consisting of young, impulsive and impressionable "man-children"!
Muschamp seems to have been given the chance to do that "learning and growing" at S Carolina--not the first ( not even the first GATOR) Coach to thrive in a particular place and program that expects "moderate success" and "reasonable improvement year to year", as opposed to "FIX EVERYTHING--and do it NOW!" here at UF... and to do it following URBAN MEYER...Oh, and with Meyer's hidden mess and the talent dreggs of "what once was" here.
WE watched Muschamp's head explode on a weekly basis--but his players bore the brunt of it: And not just behind-the-scenes, but publicly, right there on the sidelines each Saturday.
All in all, what DM appeared to have been managing to achieve already this season was, IS amazing in its own right...If it now turns out that we must in fact sweep aside The Past and all its complexities, continued consequences and bad memories after all, well, it may well then mean that was always required in any event, the time and hard choices inevitable: Vetting to have some hope and excitement along the way while the otherwise difficult transformation is properly managed and achieved is an unexpected (if at times misleading) "bonus"--as long as that "transformation" IS "achieved"!
So: This week's game and outcome is our "last chance"/"last HOPE" for a decent season AIDING recruiting and thus the speed of transition/improvement.
With a loss, we move into "Just beat FSU in front of a bunch of potentual future Gators" territory, use the extra weeks of practice and attention to further our prospects in that regard, then see what recruiting actually brings...And THEN on to spring, summer and NEXT SEASON (and, among all the rest, hope like HELL we begin to see the more-crucial-than-EVER accelerating rise of EMORY JONES to become "the next young sensation at Quarterback in the SEC"! Yes, we've been here before--but I HAVE to believe that sooner or later, with all the time, chances and resources that have been at our disposal, even gotten RIGHT but SOMEONE ELSE somehow inherited...SOONER OR LATER WE HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT--and be the sole beneficiery too!
Of course, hard experience and the natural cynic in me responds, "Not necessarily..." What else CAN I think after what we've witnessed over the last decade???
But at least THIS time we appear to have EXACTLY the right guy in charge to do so: Dan Mullen should have MULTIPLE opportunities to find, develop and eventually esconse true "QB prodigies" under center in coming years. It is something of a "calling card" of his already, and he will have every chance to not just prove it, but make it work, BIGtime, before he's done here at University of Florida.
But right this moment, all I ask, all I can hesitantly, meekly HOPE for is SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, a win tomorrow over South Carolina.

Escambia94

Through all the pain of the past two games, let us not forget that technically Franks was a top-end SEC QB until the Georgia game. If Franks can get back to pre- Georgia form, he will be on track to be the 2nd best QB since Saint Tebow. South Carolina is missing two starting safeties and a cornerback, so if Franks cannot find a zone to lob the football today, then our season is done.

Escambia94

Screenshot_20181110-095440.png

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Through all the pain of the past two games, let us not forget that technically Franks was a top-end SEC QB until the Georgia game. If Franks can get back to pre- Georgia form, he will be on track to be the 2nd best QB since Saint Tebow. South Carolina is missing two starting safeties and a cornerback, so if Franks cannot find a zone to lob the football today, then our season is done.
Everything UP til the last sentence is like a material PROOF of that aforementioned Truman line, "...and STATISTICS"!
The last sentence itself is exactly the problem--the point Truman was making AND at the very heart of why we will probably lose today: Even acknowledging that he has regressed somewhat from a low-expectation-produced "high point" earlier in the season, the so-called "eyetest" even THEN, what we could all see with our own eyes (and perhaps somewhat ignored in the flood of the "Look at the Emperor's beautiful new clothes!" BS from the media commentators alomg the way) were all the signs, all the actual evidence of all the same old weaknesses, inconsistencies, stark flaws and crucial missing pieces in his game that were always there when he takes the field each game.
Dan Mullen IS a whiz at developimg quarterbacks--but everyone has their limits: Far as I can see, Franks' "limits" are extensive (too many and too deep to bother listing and re-examining here), and MULLEN'S seem to be embodied in FRANKS. That isn't Mullen's fault, or even Franks', really: No, if we are looking for blame, we have reached the point (some would say "LONG reached...", but that is another point, at this point a somewhat petty one, we can argue another day) where the responsibility falls to MULLEN himself to weigh all the positives and negatives now and to come--and MAKE THE CALL, finally.
Is that what he has already done? Or, was he finally going to change his mind abput all that and concede Trask's belated ascendance--only to be "ambushed by Fate"?
Well, it is all down to "Let it ride!" with Fillipe, or "Burn the redshirt and THROW THE DICE!" with Jones, now. Can't see our Head Coach going with the latter unless Fillipe goes out there and really stinksr up the joint early today--and THEN only if the defense somehow is playing its heart out and keeping us in it well into the first half ANYWAY.
Got a feeling we'll have an answer by the 2nd quarter: Either we will be IN this one all the way from the start--or doing one of those late-Gator-season DIVES again.
I almost can't watch. But I will.
I always do.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Oh oh--here we go.
I realize I gotta either turn off the TV, or turn off the SOUND--Can't even listen to Mick today. If tgey open uo with a long drive here we'll be down e scores by the 2nd qtr and it won't matter if or when we "wake up".
I was THINKING "Maybe we should take the ball instead of deferring this time if we get the chance..." You know--change it ALL up, every chance we get...
But here's the game at 3rd an goal...
And that was too easy.
My dear friends, we are about to be embarrassed: Our sole HOPE was that the D might keep us in it. They won't--and you will go BROKE betting on a Franks-qb'ed team to win any kind of "Shoot-out"!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I will continue WATCHING, sound off here...but if you stop hearing periodically from me here you'll know what happened--the only "good" part in ANY of this is more the questionably "silver lining" of a BAD thing: With Trask having been hurt, no one can blame Mullen now for HAVING to stick with Franks as the starter here...But will we SEE Jones out there? And if so, when? And what if he does WELL?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Meanwhile, Franks is moving us backwards again--and damn near overthrows to another INT...Gee, what a shock. Punting time.
If y'all want me to just shut up and bow out, I'll understand--all I got now is sarcasm for ya:
Look, Franks isn't gonna be ANYTHING BUT WHAT HE'S ALREADY SHOWN HE CAN BE; Until I see a wholesale change at that position I see no HOPE of us beating another SEC team from here, Hell, even this year's FSU may kick our asses--we sure as sh*t shown everyone HOW.
AND thing is, I think that's how the seniours on our defense feel, at this point: "Why get hurt for THIS mess?"
It's a damn shame that I am not condoning, but the eveidense is there that this is so.
There's "item #2" in the mounting argument that this is so: Second possession, second Gamecock drive.
In our house.
WAY too easy.
Either we score on the next possession, or I am OUTTA here!!! We WON'T win another game this season with this QB--and the rest of the team feeling that way too.
We are now losing the way we WERE winning earlier: with a gathering, growing tendency that feeds on what has come before. I don't know how you fimd the "good streaks", OR "break the bad". That's coaching, I guess. Sorry to say it, but don't kniw what else you CAN.
Anyone have ANY sense we can even HANG IN in this one? Way we look, the futility being displayed out there on OUR FIELD, you'd think we were in Tuskaloosa!
Thought for a moment I might be able to have a BIT of fun, and hopefully perform a SERVICE in maybe giving y'all some laughs with a sort of "sarcastic play by play"--but can't really keep up with it thumb-typing.
Can only say this: Watching Franks out there, trying to put a long drive together while KNOWING the D is depending on a core of "best players" who are already "mailing it in" just brings me SO down.
Almost as much as seeing the Swamp far from filled at kick off, and those who ARE there waiting for something to ignite them. So MANY lessons here for Mullen and staff.
Meanwhile, we are now into the 2nd qtr, deep in their redzone still down 14-zip.
Wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't spotted them 14 points to start--and I didn't get the feeling this defense will be surrendering more of the same.
Touchdown. But will D show up now? And how often can this Franks-led offense drive the field? Once a trademark of Mullen offenses, we sure haven't had much "Quick Strike" capability at Florida for a LONG time--and boys, WE NEED IT NOW!
AW, F-it...One TD and I start showing HOPE again. What damn fool SUCKER of a GATOR-fan I am!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
SOME Gators are still trying--playing their HEARTS out! I won't ignore OR forget that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Almost makes me wanna turn the stadium radio feed back up. Just might if they score here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema