• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Florida Atlantic @ Florida - 9/3: WIN 41 - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdog

Gator Fan
Florida Atlantic is coming to the swamp. I am going to predict a solid victory and decent play from Brantley. All I need is decent play for his first game...

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I want our offense to look as good as Wisconsin's vs. UNLV. That offense dominated. Wisconsin might have the best O-line in the country, they man handled UNLV's D-line.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, at this rate we'll all be chewing on our toenails by game time...meanwhile, anyone else watching the Auburn game? I generally root for the SEC team, but Utah State is just pulling out EVERY underdog trick there is, it seems. That fake FG AFTER taking the delay-of-game penalty was brilliant...who's seen THAT before? Looks like "karma" for the $180,000+ price-of-their-soul may be coming home to roost IMMEDIATELY. Now, Auburn is making a game attempt at a comeback against an inferior team at the end here, but either way, this Auburn team looks eminently beatable this season, I'm thinking.

Oops--looks like the more skilled Auburn team may pull this out after all--onside kick done nicely, now they're driving and Utah St. looks panicked and gassed. Oh well, better for us, long term, I guess...I just liked the idea of the cheaters getting a dose of reality quick out of the gate, I suppose. There's the winning TD. Damn, Aggies, if you're gonna just collapse with a late 10-point lead on the road, why bother in the first place? Now you've got these otherwise unimpressive Tigers thinking they're "Comeback Kings".

Turning to what's REALLY important, I'm looking for a quick start and a big final score tonight. The Gator coaches and players have that look, that calmly confident attitude, so I think it's fair to take 'em at their word against let's face it, a lesser foe. I almost hate to say this out loud, especially after LAST year (the first game AND the season), but heck with it, there it is.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Actually I think they spent more than 180K, anyone else think that other players were also paid to come to Auburn? What about Michael Dyer?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I think the Gators will realize they cannot hold back and cruise to a win...speaking of Utah State and Auburn. Brantley will need to throw for 200+, unless Burton or Gillislee split the running with Rainey and Demps...unless that offensive line comes together and lets those two run rampant. The defense needs to make the quarterback afraid to throw. If all these happen, I see 63-7. If we go conservative it might be 32-7.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"...32-7 and UGLY" in that case, right? But I'm goin' all-in on this one and EXPECT a full on, kick-out-the-jams Performance Party that washes us CLEAN from last year, the very definition of a "clean slate". Why? Because the team needs it, and the coaches know that (...that we the fans need it too is less important but no less true). We won't show that much on offense, but won't need to: just turn our superior skill players loose within the basic offense. Our speed-and-power mix (still more speed than power, right, but you get the idea) will gobble up yardage, break off some big gains, and it'll get worse for the Owls as the game goes on. They'll have to cheat up, put more in the box, and that'll be Brantley's cue--and chance at his own fresh start: I'm putting the over/under of #12's TD-pass total at 3.
Meanwhile, the defense can and will play aggressively, flying around the field and swarming to the ball. They'll be going after a shut out; I don't think they'll get it, mainly because we'll be substituting freely in the 4th quarter and I suspect a proud and not untalented FAU squad (these are Florida boys, after all) will find a way to erase the goose egg against our backups. What the "D" WILL get however will be at least one score, and set up a couple more.
Overly optimistic? Expecting too much? I don't think so. Not really. Here is my working hypothesis: We hold the talent advantage necessary to accomplish this. We had it last year, too, yet consistently underperformed. I submit that the difference was, is and will be coaching plus attitude. In the college game, you cannot overstate the importance of either.
I don't know how far that can take us, how long before execution and experience MUST take over, get us "over the hump" and through to championship-caliber victories, but it should be more than enough here in the early going. The trick will be keeping this young team focused, hungry and learning as we tear apart lesser competition in preparation for that brutal stretch in October. That will be about "coaching and attitude" too, and we'll just have to trust and count on Chomp, Weis and Co. to handle it, do things right. I expect to ENJOY these first few games, though, that much I AM pretty sure of.
Now let's see how completely delusional I am.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(BTW, Leakfan12, considering what we heard about shadowy "Longtime-boosters with briefcases of cash" when the Cam/Cecil story was originally breaking, then "bagmen", "dummy accounts" and worse surfacing in the months since, I absolutely suspect this corruption was real and extensive, going far beyond the already absurd "loophole" that allowed Cam to play, finish, win the Heisman and the National Championship 'cause "his daddy took the cash, not him..." But in the end, that's apparently a big "So what?"--he's a first-round NFL draft-pick with a big contract about to start in his rookie year, Auburn are the reigning "BCS Champs", referred to as "one of the powerhouse SEC teams" by so-called "expert commentators" on ESPN, all these scUM guys caught taking handfuls of cash and none of 'em ineligible, just a few game-suspensions, the bigger the star, the less the punishment, and where is "the boom" that was supposed to be lowered? What about strong and consistent leadership, with "pursuit of enforcement and low tolerance for violators"? Ain't happenin', mon. So far, the lesson has amounted to a simple message, "Go for it!", and in the (practically nonexistent) process the NCAA has essentially rendered itself irrelevant. That may amount to their "strategy", amazingly enough: to send a message to the most powerful institutions and programs that they will in this way get to look like they are operating under a serious organizational umbrella of executive oversight called "the NCAA", but in truth they'll be ultimately left to operate at the edge of unregulated self-reporting, where lip-service is paid to cooperation and punishment, but neither will be particularly long-term or onerous. They'll promise ANYTHING to avoid having them all (including US, of course) just pick up and walk away to form our own "College Football Championship Association (CFCA)".)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK, OK, I'm all OVER the place here, I know it--hyped to the max. Part of the problem is that the Bulls-at-Irish game is delayed at the half by lightening...though I enjoy seeing Notre Dame getting beat, especially by USF (one of the Fla. teams besides our own I DON'T despise, if you know what I mean), I'm so far not at all sure if play shows Notre Dame's usual premature re-anointing as much as USF's actual relatively quiet ascension to 1st-tier status--not just in the Big East, either, but perhaps among the "Florida Big Boys", too. One thing seems clear: NO one, us included, should overlook this Bulls team. I think mini-Holtz made a mistake settling for a FG from inside the one in the first half AT the Irish, but he's got 'em 16-to-zip at the break (IF the break ever ends--this sort of scrambles the whole scene; I think the Irish caught a break, 'cause they were on their heels going into the locker room and 20 minutes probably wouldn't have changed that...now, who knows?). Meanwhile, I'm watching Minn. give USC a game at the Coliseum. One more example of "Why you can never get comfortable", not that our guys are looking at any of that by now, maybe 30 minutes or so 'til they bust out of the tunnel in the Swamp...MAN, I am READY!!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I see the Gators are in their orange jerseys for this home game--personally, I wish they hadn't made that choice. The "Blues" look so much better and don't carry the baggage of the pre-Spurrier, endless close-but-no-cigar success-then-probation cycles. At least the "orange" isn't that cremesickle-orange of the late-70's/early 80's. Coach was just on the pregame, asked what he will say to his team "before they run out of that tunnel", and he says "Tired of all the talk--let's PLAY!" Right on. I'll wait 'til we've got something to actually talk, no better yet, scream and SHOUT about...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Even with the big opening TD run-back called back, we're moving the ball well...BUT: just heard on twitter that Shariff Floyd has been declared ineligible by the NCAA--Holy SH*T! First shotgun and right over Brantley's head AGAIN??? Drive killer. Long FG good. Floyd's ineligible for this game is all I know so far--"NOT booster or agent-related".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Won't know 'til post-game, the earliest (ie. Coach'll be asked at presser), UF statement says "Ruled ineligible until issue with NCAA is resolved..."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Brantley looks sharp, at least. Like how he stays cool, even with screw-ups. Jordan Reed could be a BEAST. If we can get our runners into space...better yet, we need someone who can BREAK TACKLES--but that's not news, I guess.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I can see we'll be able to move the ball and SCORE more regularly than last year, it seems.
And this is our "vanilla" offense, too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I put #12's TD-pass over/under number at 3--he'll get at least another one this half, I'm thinking. There goes Demps! Of course, these speedsters start to tear it up and Brantley's job gets easier and easier...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--special team foul up and Owls have ball at midfield: here's the "D"s first test...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema