• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

NFL SEASON IS A GO!!!

dtspecial

Gator Fan
fed judge lifts the NFL lockout!!! dont know about the legality of it...thats for another day, but since we can no by into the draft fully........Who do you think will be the first Gator Selected for the 2011 season??????????;)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Think you might be jumping the gun a bit here...just another little "win" in a legal "Point and Counter Point"-game between 2 (possibly 3?) polarized contestants with high-powered legal point-men who REVEL in this kind of thing. It ain't over...
Personally, I'm among those who find this whole thing pretty close to "the final straw" in a long developing disenchantment with the NFL--a process that will for me be complete if and when the owners get their way in a contract that includes the transformation of the last two what are now preseason games into the first two of 18 REGULAR season ones.
The whole "Draft Day Extravaganza" had already gotten old for me--even following where various Gators ended up (especially last year and hoping TT went early and to a good situation) just doesn't resonate with me as it once did. Now it's more like a tawdry game show: "The NFL Cash Grab, brought to you by General Motors and Google LIVE on the ABC/ESPN family of sports networks!"
More power to all those who still love "the League" and its style, on AND off the field, when it does inevitably resume.
I'm just close enough to becoming one of those who WOULDN'T miss it if it were gone for a while to not stress about ANY of this while it all plays out.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It won't be Janoris Jenkins, but John Elway would be wise to pick a DB like him instead of another QB.

Let's see how this NFL season soap opera plays out.

robdog

Gator Fan
Mike Pouncey. I think Jenkins could do the supplement draft.

I really hope he doesn't do the supplement draft. I know he is kicked out of Florida, but can't he find another school to go to? Either way, it is a bad situation. :(

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Speaking of "the NFL soap-opera", how did you like the little "shell game" the League AND ESPN played on the former's fans and the latter's viewers (one and the same groups of course)? ESPN especially was consciously manipulative here--the NFL just exploited the overall sequence of events.
I'm talking about how (sound of trumpets) "The Lifting of the Lockout" was played by the Network, as if the season was back on and bringing the fans back in to watch a draft that otherwise threatened to be shrouded in frustration and uncertainty, its ratings likely depressed, until this supposed "break" in the downward spiral of stubborn determination on the part of the owners to continue their game of "financial chicken" with the players (and, really, with its fans). This all conveniently ignored (and ESPN failed to report for that crucial 48 hours) what turned out to be the all-but-inevitable reversal of that decision by another judge--the result of an injunction applied for by the owners in a higher court, a move they intended all along (and that ESPN KNEW was coming).
Maybe it's all "good business sense", from a short-sited, bottom-line-next-quarter P.O.V., but I suspect it could end up having long-term repercussions these fools either can't see, or cynically (and arrogantly) believe that the fans are too shallow, selfish and yes, stupid to even remember once the owners have "won" and football returns.
On the one hand, there IS the old line attributed to Mankiewitz that still resonates:
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
On the other, those same masses are fickle--and you play with their emotions and loyalties at your peril. The NFL are/were at the peak of their popularity and media dominance, poised possibly to make the kind of world-level move they have long coveted; at the very moment when they should be consolidating their foundation, strengthening themselves and planning for the future, instead they are thinking short-term greed with little regard for its consequences among their true base--THE FANS. Even worse, they're playing fast and loose with peoples' hopes, fears and expectations; the kind of repeated "push-pull" that has characterized the last few days especially is likely to have only one ultimate effect--anger. You watch: folks are going to be getting even angrier than they showed at the Draft's broadcast-outset, and it's gonna accelerate from here.

robdog

Gator Fan
Yeah, putting the lock out back in place is a seriously bad move for us fans. Like Escambia said, back to NCAA football.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema