• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

It begins....

mjfan23

VIP Member
Coach Muschamp has confirmed that Florida's strength coach will be leaving UF to go to OSU.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I was annoyed by Marotti leaving until I read a quote from Will Muschamp that essentially said that he let Marotti go, because the Gators were not as tough as he wanted. That was a nice little dig. I read it as, "the strength coach let us turn into sissies, so we gave him to Ohio State".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I was annoyed by Marotti leaving until I read a quote from Will Muschamp that essentially said that he let Marotti go, because the Gators were not as tough as he wanted. That was a nice little dig. I read it as, "the strength coach let us turn into sissies, so we gave him to Ohio State".
Here's one that DOES hurt, though: Mike Davis has DE-committed from the Gators...Rival's 6th-ranked RB in the class, who was an early and seemingly-firm commit, told ESPN it was due to a"misunderstanding with the coaches" (whatever THAT means) and that he wasn't sure if he would still consider Florida. That leaves Matt Jones, the other "power-type" RB out of Stone Mt. (GA) as the only one currently committed from the 2012-class...we ARE still in the mix for Raleigh (N.C.) Millbrook running back Keith Marshall, Rival's (and others')top-rated RB in the class, and perhaps this will still work out OK, but until this aft/evening we WERE looking pretty well-fixed at "Big Fast RB" going into next season regardless--a hugely important need, of course, in Weis' pro-style attack/scheme (and I had been feeling GOOD about it ever since seeing various Highlight Reels of Davis back when he committed).

Escambia94

I saw that Mike Davis is upset at the Gator coaches. On one hand I am disappointed that we are losing a top prospect and that he now has a chip on his shoulder. On the other hand I look back at all the 4 and 5 star busts and their attitudes and I am happy to not take on that drama. Maybe this was Urban's problem -- he took on stars and tolerated attitudes. Maybe Muschamp does not tolerate attitudes.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I saw that Mike Davis is upset at the Gator coaches. On one hand I am disappointed that we are losing a top prospect and that he now has a chip on his shoulder. On the other hand I look back at all the 4 and 5 star busts and their attitudes and I am happy to not take on that drama. Maybe this was Urban's problem -- he took on stars and tolerated attitudes. Maybe Muschamp does not tolerate attitudes.
Same thought crossed my mind--but I DO wish we knew more about this "misunderstanding"...
Still, you're absolutely right about our mounting troubles with "5-Star clowns", "talented losers", and drama-queens-with-attitudes these last couple of seasons--ALL Meyer-recruits, and a LOT of 'em out of that "highly-regarded"/top-rated '09 class...maybe like with those transfers, this'll be the most we'll hear about it, no further comment after-the-fact unless it comes from the player himself.
Of course, the ideal class is one containing a number of that rarest of all players, big-time talent AND "our kind of guys". If Coach Boom can pull THAT off, even with all the chaotic, even negative forces and circumstances that continue to arise, we should be better than "OK", in the long run.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We knew it was coming
Not in this particular case--not me, anyway...last I heard we had 2 solid commits at RB, and one of them was (a once enthusiastic "future Gator") Mike Davis.
Do you mean just in general, or had you heard he was wavering?
No indication this has anything to do with Meyer's busy handiwork...still'd like to know what "misunderstanding with the coaches" means here.

Escambia94

My sources tell me that Mike Davis "understood" that he was the guaranteed top TB. He did not like the idea of getting Driskel'd, or getting beat at the starting role. Maybe he was okay with the coaches recruiting one more, but not two. Afraid of competition. We do not need that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Interesting , E-...I just heard that he was attaching all kinds of conditions to his commitment the last week or two, mostly having to do with other guys he wanted to see us ALSO bring in, demands about who he'd play with and what guarantees they'd get about playing time--and got mad when the coaches started backing off and telling him, politely as possible, that they couldn't make those kind of promises. When you put that together with his full, whiny and near-illiterate statement upon decommitting (we'd only read that one small part quoted about a "misunderstanding", but turns out there was more), PLUS his "hood-gangsta-rap"-style tweet last night (obviously aimed at our coaches--it's quoted in a number of articles and columns--eg. today's Orlando Sun-Sentinel), I'm afraid I was already coming around to the same conclusion--ie. "Maybe we dodged another bullet here..."
(We still need another big-time RB-recruit though--I know we're only "in the mix" with at least two other programs for his services, but getting "everyone's No.1-rated RB", Keith Marshall out of Raleigh (N.C.) Millbrook would be HUGE--and from what you say above, E-, our hard-press to get him may well have played a part in Davis' tantrum, and ultimate decommit.)

Escambia94

I hate to judge a kid by his gangsta tweets, because they all do that. That being said, this kid's tweet seemed worse. There is debate as to what he meant -- demanding the starter role, being afraid of competition, requesting coaches to recruit other Stone Mountain, Ga athletes, etc. We may never know.

For now, Matt Jones (4 star, 6-3, 225, Seffner FL) is still committed. The kid looks like a linebacker, but he is a running back.

Keith Marshall (5 star, 5-11, 190, Raleigh NC) will make a decision today. I will not get my hopes up, but he looks like a larger Chris Rainey. Clemson, Georgia, and Florida are his top choices according to both scouting sites.

There are 16 commitments so far, but a lot more can still commit after the bowl season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hate to judge a kid by his gangsta tweets, because they all do that. That being said, this kid's tweet seemed worse. There is debate as to what he meant -- demanding the starter role, being afraid of competition, requesting coaches to recruit other Stone Mountain, Ga athletes, etc. We may never know.

For now, Matt Jones (4 star, 6-3, 225, Seffner FL) is still committed. The kid looks like a linebacker, but he is a running back.

Keith Marshall (5 star, 5-11, 190, Raleigh NC) will make a decision today. I will not get my hopes up, but he looks like a larger Chris Rainey. Clemson, Georgia, and Florida are his top choices according to both scouting sites.

There are 16 commitments so far, but a lot more can still commit after the bowl season.
I know what you mean, E---and I almost didn't leave that in, except that I didn't know how else to describe the "tweet", or what disturbed me about it--ie. NOT so much 'cause it's in that hip-slang-vernacular, but because it crosses a line into a sort of more hostile, "gangsta-wanna-be" territory that you DON'T want to have characterize your team: remember, one of his main beefs here apparently is that he wants a certain number of his "crew" to be brought in AROUND him now too, and that's what's behind a lot of his BS about supposedly being "messt wif" (sic) by the coaches.
As for Marshall--think, "SIGNIFICANTLY larger Rainey", but just as fast and shifty; the closest thing to "a clear game changer" among RBs in this class, at least as far as we know going in.
Now, here's another out-of-left-field QB-idea that occurs to me--and it SURPRISES me that there isn't already more buzz about it (especially with the Weis-connection): What about Dane Crist (sp?) from Notre Dame? He has all the physical attributes, extensive experience--and, though he has but 1 year of eligibility left (which COULD be a "plus" for us, since we could say to the 2 young QBs we have, "Look, even if he wins the job, it's only for a year, and one of ya can redshirt..."), because he has already graduated, I believe he is allowed to play right away (as per NCAA-rules , changed a few years back to accommodate such situations). Whatta ya think? Go after him?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If he can play right away then why not?
That's what I'm thinking...and he's a "pro-style pocket-passer-type" who already knows Weis' terminology, etc. from when he played under him (though he hadn't made it far enough up the "experience ladder" behind 2 other big-time upper-classmen there at Notre Dame to start before Charlie left)...the only thing I'm thinking is that given all of that, maybe there's a good reason we don't know about that Weis DOESN'T seem to have us in that mix--'cause as a former starter at Notre Dame who CAN play right away, Crist IS going to go SOMEWHERE.

Escambia94

Give Weis a chance to build a QB. Whether that is Brissett, Driskel, or other, I do not care. I do not want to be like a Bull Gator and demand one guy over another. Let the coaches do what they are paid to do.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Give Weis a chance to build a QB. Whether that is Brissett, Driskel, or other, I do not care. I do not want to be like a Bull Gator and demand one guy over another. Let the coaches do what they are paid to do.
I hear you--and guess that as a "bottom line", that's a good one...but I AM concerned about the QB-position. It is so key to our success, obviously, and I'm afraid that though either or both of our young guys may well turn out to develop nicely (and Weis had BETTER get that right, if it's gonna be just one, no MATTER the reason), there was little sign that they were even close to BECOMING ready this season: it wouldn't be that surprising if they weren't ready as true sophomores, either. We should be going after another QB in this class anyway, regardless--and adding a once-heralded senior with Crist's background doesn't sound like a bad little piece of insurance. In the end, though, I agree with you: we have to trust the judgement and experience of the coaches that we have entrusted with our Program's present and future. I won't second-guess them, either...I hate that 20/20 hindsight stuff, and I KNOW Weis has more knowledge, talent and experience in general here than me and TEN other rabid longtime Gator fans, a HUNDRED--and a WHOLE lot more going on with THIS senior than almost anyone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema