• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I'M BAFFLED BY THIS..

miltongator

Gator Fan
Coach said "I don't know if bowl eligibility should be a motivating factor......" "When you step on the field, you compete. You do it every day at practice, you do it every day in meetings, and you do it every day during the games. That's the mental attitude you want to have as a competitor, is to go out and compete, and you don't need to be motivated by external factors in my opinion."

I would suspect that every successful coach in America has just the opposite philosophy on motivation, especially in college. IMO, so much of the college game is about emotion, I just don't understand his thinking here. One would think that you would use whatever means possible to "crank it up" on Saturdays.

It makes me want to ask "What are you thinking?"

Perhaps this is something he is putting out for public consumption (why , I have no idea) but, I think not.

mjfan23

VIP Member
For me thats all i ever needed. Sure my college play was no where near this level, but as a competitor I wanted to win everythinggg. IT amazes me the lack of desire some athletes have. What I would do to be blessed with the physical assets needed.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
What's so new about this? All he's saying is basically his version of an approach certain "long-term, big-picture" coaches have enunciated many times before: when you have "the right attitude", you function at a certain level of even-tempered, calm efficiency and high performance that you have reached over the course of all the previous weeks, months, even YEARS of preparation and attitude. From this P.O.V., as much as possible you don't get too "up" or too "down"--you "expect" to win, but you know and understand that it will take your usual work and effort to achieve it: ideally, as long as you "take care of business, the things you CAN control, the rest takes care of itself. Such a team , with the right mix of talent and character, can be almost unstoppable in every phase of the game. That's the kind of team Coach Boom is shooting for.
No college coach would deny the fact and potential power of "emotion"--to work for OR against you, THIS coach least of all. I really don't think you have to worry about Will Muschamp understanding or ignoring the realities of "getting cranked up for games" on a general OR a personal level. I know you have your reservations regarding this staff, mg, but I also think you may be getting "worried" about something that isn't any issue at ALL. If anything, as a HEAD coach I think he may have a bit of a "learning curve" in how to achieve the first, that "Even Tempered Team", without overdoing the latter, his natural inclination to communicate his "fire". I'm confident he will find his way, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema