• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Handling a loss

ilovegators

VIP Member
Do you think Gator fans have set expectations too high for the 2009 season? Will we be able to handle a single loss? I know all of our championships have come from single loss teams, so I wouldn't be too worried with one loss... but part of me just thinks expecting an undefeated season and a BCS Championship is a lot to ask!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I think a lot of fans that I find on forums are setting themselves up for a 1-loss disappointment. Florida has never finished a season undefeated. I can't think of the last undefeated SEC and BCS champ. I won't get my hopes up, and I hope the Gator Nation does not set itself up for a letdown.

We could go undefeated, but I won't talk about it much beyond this post. I just want us to win the SEC, and maybe the BCS. SEC is my first priority as a fan.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
No matter what the expectations are, I never handle a loss good. I'm depressed all week long. Heaven forbid we lose before a bye week, because I will be miserable the whole time. Since I have friends from every SEC school and FSU, I get a lot of trash talk when we lose, so I try my best to avoid all calls from those D-bags. I literally turned my phone off after the Wes Bynum kick for a solid 3 days. When I turned it back on I had 48 voicemails and 210 text messages!

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I hope the Gator Nation does not set itself up for a letdown.

Gator Nation doesn't seem to handle any loss that well; the lunatic fringe starts up with all their finger pointing and "fire-the-coach" nonsense whenever we lose - yet clearly it was the players' fault that we lost that Ole Miss game last year.

Everybody's hoping for an undefeated season this year, and IMHO it's possible - but our guys are the captain of the ship out there and need to keep it going on a steady course. Sloppiness led to that Ole Miss loss - nothing more, nothing less.

I like LBG take any loss bad, it screws up my week and people don't want to be around me if we lose. In my opinion if we lose a single game this year we will not play for the National Championship. Our schedule is too weak this year to hold a loss and make it to the NC. Just my opinion on the matter.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
Gator Nation doesn't seem to handle any loss that well; the lunatic fringe starts up with all their finger pointing and "fire-the-coach" nonsense whenever we lose - yet clearly it was the players' fault that we lost that Ole Miss game last year.

Everybody's hoping for an undefeated season this year, and IMHO it's possible - but our guys are the captain of the ship out there and need to keep it going on a steady course. Sloppiness led to that Ole Miss loss - nothing more, nothing less.

Seriously, these threads made me sick. The people bad mouthing Meyer and Mullen here should have their Gator Nation license revoked for a season.

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6561

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6552

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6560

I especially like mine and Mahxfahn's last 2 posts on the third thread. I guess we can say we told you so.:tt2:

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
Seriously, these threads made me sick. The people bad mouthing Meyer and Mullen here should have their Gator Nation license revoked for a season.

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6561

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6552

http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6560

I especially like mine and Mahxfahn's last 2 posts on the third thread. I guess we can say we told you so.:tt2:

It's so easy for everybody to heap the blame for a loss on the coaches, but I've said before that these kids can only have their hands held for so long - and then "school's out". They can't be expected to be spoon-fed when they're out there on the playing field - they've been drilled constantly on what their assignments are, and it's up to them to execute correctly at the right time. If the players make a mistake, they need to shoulder a great deal of the responsibility - it's not 100% the fault of a coach that a player screws up.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I admit I was one of those who screamed for Meyer's head. I still think the team should have been better motivated than they were remind them about the USC loss and the 2007 game where the Ole Miss nearly won. Also think another play should have been called in the end. Hey I'm sure even Bear Bryant messed up a few times. Maybe Ole Miss D was Tim Tebow's Kryptonite. Lucky we don't play them against unless their the SEC W champs and the Gators are the SEC E champs. As for this season, well I think at least two games I worried both on the road. LSU and Miss St.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
yet clearly it was the players' fault that we lost that Ole Miss game last year.

absolutely not only the players' fault. Our playcalling was getting one dimensional. Tebow up the middle all day long doesn't work. Coaches are too blame as well.

I think we have a very good possibility of going undefeated because we will experience a huge rush after demolishing Tennessee that will hopefully carry over for the rest of the season.

If there is a season where we run the table this should be it. I'm not saying that I'm banking on them running the table, but there's not been a time that Florida has been more poised to do it. Schedule is relatively easier than usual and we're about as stacked as a defending national champion can be. If they play to their potential and keep their heads on straight for the whole season, then I expect them to go unbeaten.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
absolutely not only the players' fault. Our playcalling was getting one dimensional. Tebow up the middle all day long doesn't work. Coaches are too blame as well.

I think we have a very good possibility of going undefeated because we will experience a huge rush after demolishing Tennessee that will hopefully carry over for the rest of the season.

I agree. Yes, the players dropped the ball...literally, but the play calling that game wasn't very good in my opinion. Tebow was getting pressured a lot and I didn't remember any draws, screens, quick passes to the flats, etc. to help relieve some pressure.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
^^^ We dropped it down to the flats several times early in that game. I suspect the coaching staff shyed away from those plays after two early fumbles off of quick screen passes.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
^^^ We dropped it down to the flats several times early in that game. I suspect the coaching staff shyed away from those plays after two early fumbles off of quick screen passes.

I don't remember fumbling (and losing the fumble) in our loss to Ole Miss from passes to the flats. Hernandez fumbled after a huge gain deep in Ole Miss territory, Tebow fumbled on a hand off to James (or arguably, James fumbled it, not Tebow), and the third fumble lost was by...Harvin or Demps during a run up the middle or something?

Or maybe we fumbled it when passing it to the flats, but we recovered it...my memory is a bit shaky here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema