• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GO JETS!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tebow to the Jets! Go Jets!!! Bench Sanchez!!!!!
Sanchez will either get injured again (he's brittle, it is starting to become clear), or will crack some other way...Given the tools and the opportunity to do things his way, TT will OWN NYC within a year. If folks thought he was "big", "larger than life" before, wait 'til New York, New York gets a full-on, close-up-and-personal dose of his charm and sincerity, yes, but his intense fighting spirit as well. I can see why the Jets made this deal--but the really dark flipside to that is why ELWAY did it. It all becomes fully, undeniably clear now:
In Elway's twistedly vindictive but nonetheless diabolically paranoid mind, it wasn't enough to get RID of Tebow, leave no opportunity for him to have Manning helping him get better only to "ride back to the rescue" if/when "Plan A" goes south--as I've said elsewhere, "There is no Plan B" (Elway's glib quote the morning after Peyton formally announced his decision with the side comment that he would be glad to help Tim while he himself continued to rehab, and beyond, just hours before the trade to the Jets was announced) will likely echo down the years as one of those "famous last words of people who got it SO wrong"--in HIS mind Little Johnie had to BURY him somewhere, make sure he wasn't in the spotlight for Bronco fans to "compare and regret" over should things not go exactly as he is counting on with PM. The fact that he THOUGHT that he was guaranteeing #15 a "permanent back-up" role behind Sanchez in NYC, when in fact he was inadvertently giving him the opportunity to burst into the STRATOSPHERE OF CELEBRITY and popularity in the "Media and News Capital of the World", is just more evidence of this man's self-absorbed lack of insight and perspective outside of anything but his own petty short-term wants and desires. I might have chosen to see Tim be given his unconditional release like the Broncos did with Orton, so that he could find his OWN "best fit" (especially after Elway's claim that he and the Broncos "wanted" to give Tebow his "best opportunity for success elsewhere"--the emptiest of "empty words", coming from him), but that was NEVER going to happen, and as the surprise of this wears off and I considered it further, I actually began to laugh...Oh, this is shaping up to be just about the most satisfying "Good guy triumphs/bad guy fails miserably and publicly" I can recall.

InkedAdrenaline

VIP Member
I really wanted him in jax just so I could make a tshirt saying "blacked out to SOLD OUT TEBOW STYLE!!" lol but guess I'll just have to make a bench Sanchez shirt now lol

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Tebow has to be waiting on Ashton Kutcher to walk out and end this episode of punk'd.

Sanchez's paycheck pretty must secures his job as the starter for three years barring injury. Timmy needs to leave this team next year before the misuse at wildcat further hampers his development as a legitimate NFL passer.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Tebow has to be waiting on Ashton Kutcher to walk out and end this episode of punk'd.

Sanchez's paycheck pretty must secures his job as the starter for three years barring injury. Timmy needs to leave this team next year before the misuse at wildcat further hampers his development as a legitimate NFL passer.
Yeah, there IS that alternate possibility, no doubt about it...especially to be noted with this last confused scramble that reminds us all of just how screwed up the Jets organization is, and what a cheezy deal this was with Elway all along.
What a mess! The part I can't quite get over is how I somehow forgot the two bedrock truths at work here, only to have 'em "smack me upside the head" with everyone else hours later:
(1) John Elway, when all is said and done, is a USED CAR SALESMAN! There's a reason they have the reputations they do--and in fact he pulls a common little trick here I've had done to me TWICE (they didn't get away with it the 2nd time, having been "educated" the 1st)...To wit, "when in doubt, change the terms after the deal and try to slide them by the customer in the fine print": when the $5.2 million "bonus pay-back" proved to be the sticking-point in the Jax-deal, he simply didn't mention it, then (choose one, according to whom you believe) either "buried it on back pages" in the contract they all signed (making the Jets and their lawyers a confused bunch of incompetent fools,--entirely possible), or actually ADDED IT AFTER the signing (wouldn't put it past him..."Come on down to Little Johnie's Quarterback Emporium! Take a look at THIS beauty, almost-new and ready to roll, and YOU can drive him off the lot! And remember: At Johnie's, We're FAMILY!")
(2) The New York Jets may well be the most confused, mismanaged franchise in the League right now, having overtaken even the Raiders for this dubious distinction...in truth, the FIRST reaction I had to hearing TT had been traded to them was, "The JETS?!!! That SUCKS!!! Elway's out to BURY him somewhere he'll be miserable!" Learning of "The Snag", and hearing subsequently from "unnamed sources with the Jets" that "he was only gonna be a wild-cat option anyway, only in there for a few plays-a-game, so it's not that big a deal" if the deal DIDN'T go through, only appeared to reinforce that impression--but as I thought more about it I realized a few things...Mainly, in addition to my points above about Sanchez and New York, there was that whole impossible-to-overstate factor of Tebow's indominable spirit and personality. As you'd have thought Elway himself would have begun to learn at some point (if not appreciate), things have a way of not going just as you want or expect them to, and this guy has a way of just "being there", taking it all in positive stride, and RISING TO THE MOMENT.
The situation, setting and ingredients are all now there for that "moment" to eventually arrive: who among us is ready to doubt Tim won't be ready, willing and able to SEIZE IT when it comes?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I did not realize that Timmy makes about 90% of Dirty Sanchez's pay. There is a possibility that he can unseat Sanchez if a) Sanchez underperforms before the midpoint of the season b) Tebow excels not only in the Wildcat, but also in mop up and c) if Gotham City falls in love with Superman.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I did not realize that Timmy makes about 90% of Dirty Sanchez's pay. There is a possibility that he can unseat Sanchez if a) Sanchez underperforms before the midpoint of the season b) Tebow excels not only in the Wildcat, but also in mop up and c) if Gotham City falls in love with Superman.
One thing you can pretty well count on: NY,NY will LIGHT UP around this guy--and whatever they are saying or thinking about it now (and I hear they're split, some excited, even "ecstatic", others saying--best Nu Yawk accent-- "We awreddy gotta quottaback, whatta we need HIM faw?"), he will eventually OWN that town in a way we may have never seen before. This is a unique collision of attitude, preconception and cynicism meeting goodnatured decency and unflappable SINCERITY: Underneath their crusty, seeming arrogance, there is a hunger for community and "the genuine article" in New Yorkers that I believe will break through the defensive nay-saying, utterly demolish their eye-rolling resistance, and end up producing a level of "Tebow-mania" that will roll over that city and out across the world like a dam-breaking wave.
TT is the "anti-Namath", and his arrival is perfectly timed. In that light, it is funny to hear Namath (who has disparaged Tebow as a player and a man from the first) denounce his old team and this deal as "nothing but PR-related, all about money"--when that was proudly his claim-to-fame, along with late night revels amongst every material vice the Big Apple served up to him, that marked his rise and reign as "King of New York", and all that could be parlayed into, during and AFTER football. Tebow is everything he is not, on AND off the field; Namath's irrelevancy had settled in deeply long before Tim came along to blow away every concept of the "high profile athlete" that Joe Namath had originally established as the standard model back in the '60s. So many punks and buffoons have come along since to earn or at least grab some piece of that supposed "image" for themselves, for their own advancement (mainly financial, though some just seemed to want the attention, the notoriety)--it was about time someone stood up and walked another road. The idea that that very "someone" might end up being embraced and admired by the town he thought he OWNED must really burn. Get over it, Joe.
Don't get me wrong: I've always liked Joe Namath, admired his swaggering rebelliousness and seeming self-deprecating sense-of-humor, not taking himself so seriously (what happened to all THAT, Joe?)--and he could THROW a football, oh MAN yes, one of those slow-spiraling bullets that zipped through a moving "window" 10-by-10 inches to any point it had to go on the field to be caught by the intended-receiver...he was the first QB for whom you began to hear whispers of "the Namath-tatoo", a cross on the chest of receivers where the stitching on the football crossed, imprinted there when the ball unexpectedly exploded through their hands and arms at deceptively high/hard speed. He could RUN the ball too, at the beginning of his career, in fact he used to pull it down and take off and run around end with abandon his first few seasons--only they went after his knees, which after multiple operations were soon in the first braces designed for quarterbacks...he wore 'em the rest of his career, and was henceforth known as a "pure dropback passer".
None of which changes ANYTHING here: he is behaving like a horse's @$$, and sounding like a petty and embittered old man. (Got distracted in here, watched the last 10 min of Marquette game with full concentration and lost my train of thought--WORTH it! GO GATORS!!!) The fact is, Namath contributed as much as anyone else, including all the hits (intentional and otherwise), to his own increasingly accelerating decline in sharpness and skills in the years after his triumphant Super Bowl win--and it was the very lifestyle he championed and reveled in that no doubt played its part. I would have thought he accepted that as part of his "did it my way" style and legacy, but when I hear and see his spittle-flying, over-reacting denunciation of TT, out of all proportion to the context of the question he was asked about the deal itself, I wonder: How much regret do you feel after ALL, Joe? Lucky for TT that Joe isn't some official with the Jets now, huh? Fortunate he isn't, say, the GM? Full of deep, hidden emotions like resentment and frustration and jealousy--and in a position to actually MESS with the object of all that secret hatred, screw with his career, do everything he can to "make him disappear" (Sound familiar?).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No doubt about it--but the Lin-thing was a bit of a flash-in-the-pan (not Lin--he clearly has a shot at a career there with continued work and improvement in his game--tho' that start was one of those combination change-of-chemistry AND statistically anomalous "runs" that the NYC-fans typically over-reacted to), and I'm talking about something more fundamental, deeper than a "surge-of-excitement" or a fad--more a kind of groundswell of interest that keeps growing into something like a "movement", a kind of giant extension of the nationwide fascination we've already seen, to a certain extent--only this will be of another whole magnitude of public impact. I know, it sounds weird, but this is going to be something we haven't seen before in sports, not in this country, anyway...I just have that feeling.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema