• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Geez—Not Even SMALLEST Consolation in the Dance

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not that I really EXPECTED anything different...
I mean, the only real extended success we’ve ever had on the roundball side-of-things has been in years when our Football program was leading the way nationally. I don’t know WHAT the relationship is there, what seemingly obscure forces are at work in the cosmic scheme of things that would link success in one sport (and a wholly different set-up and system, at that!) with our success, or lack thereof, in the second-most popular (and similarly closely followed) televised national college sports spectacle might be at work—but SOMETHING is!
Aw, hell—let’s face it:
I’m just frustrated, in SPITE of myself! I TRY not to care; except for during our last coupla years at the very top, at one point of course straddling Nat’l Championships in BOTH sports (when some fortuitous combination of good fortune, good recruiting and good coaching in both clearly coincided as well), but DAMNIT, I DO! We ALL do.
Once again, it is over prematurely it seems, feels like...
We are alone once more in our relatively small corner, tucked away in N. Central Florida (OK—NOT quite the “smallish community” of G-Ville we students dominated back in the late 70s when I attended as an undergrad—but still a once-again “forgotten backwater” that is so much the easier to be ignored when our Football Program is falling short of its own high standards and expectations).
In short: WE HAVE GOT TO GET BACK.
That is Dan Mullen’s aim, the reason he came here and the reason he has and will stay as long as reason and good sense prevails and we continue to ultimately back he and his staff’s moves and efforts to build us back to that level of consistent competence and efficiency.
So though we may question, even bicker and carp as to what we should actually be doing, in the end we need to fall in together and back this Coaching administration.
To say “It is our best hope” is simply a huge understatement.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS
...So yes, it is simply NECESSARY that we get together and support this Coaching regime, wish them well and see them through in their ongoing, long term in-process plan and effort to ultimately return us to the top once more:
EVERYTHING depends upon it. Even, I would propose to you here and now, our success in other areas—including, as unlikely as it may seem (and/or “logic” would indicate), otherwise seemingly “UNrelated” success in basketball;
granted, it is a whole differently structured environment even in “normal years” (and this year’s circumstances were HARDLY “normal”), one DESIGNED to encourage at least the possibility of “upsets”, especially compared/contrasted to the set-up now in the 4-team “CFB Playoff System”.
(And by-the way: With just 5 players on the floor at any given moment, playing both offense AND defense, it is MUCH easier for such “upsets” to occur in the first place: Anyone who has played the game even at the youth league or prep-intramural level can attest to a well/drilled team rather commonly being able to get hot and win not just one but a series of games, even take a tournament against mainly superiorly talented squads sometimes...
If you want to note and get on a COACHING staff for falling short, it happens all the times in college basketball tournaments—and is what the wild unpredictability of “bracketilogy” is all about in “The Big Dance” each March now! Like ours and so many others this year and in those past, clearly (for WHATEVER reasons) OUR roundball coaching fell short repeatedly here; I don’t know (or follow) that side of things closely enough to have particularly strong opinions about blame or what we ought to (or EVEN COULD) do about it, even if we wanted to now...It seems to me that Gator basketball may well be almost the “sleeping Giant” that Gator FOOTball once was—and therefore may just be simply MISSING the ambitious, talented young Coach who might come in and reorganize, reIMAGINE AND REORGANIZE OUR PROGRAM to eventually rebuild and produce an annual “B-ball Powerhouse” that regularly rivals the Kentucky’s, Dukes and North Carolinas (along with the latter day programs that have recently regularly joined them, the Gonzagas and Villanovas whom have more and more come to compete at that level each year...it is mainly a mark of my lack of knowledge, insight and interest that I am unable to reel off a longer list of such “fellow contenders of note”).
I am still mainly a football fan (will likely REMAIN such FIRST in future, regardless—but like a LOT of Gators would probably follow our Spring fortunes more closely, with more enthusiasm and higher expectations IF we were to consistently field a more reliably competitive and entertaining product out there). Better COACHING would go a LONG way in this regard, I propose—but until we turn to making that an important facet of who we are and where we’re going in the sport, I doubt we’ll realistically progress.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Not worried about the Football season yet because well it wasn't started yet. I'm more pissed that the Gators lost to ORU yesterday (of all teams) in Basketball. They should have at least when the Sweet Sixteen against Arkansas.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Not worried about the Football season yet because well it wasn't started yet. I'm more pissed that the Gators lost to ORU yesterday (of all teams) in Basketball. They should have at least when the Sweet Sixteen against Arkansas.
I guess that is MY “bottom line point” above TOO! We damn well “SHOULDA” won THAT game, true enough—and the fact that we ended up just another “side-story patsy” in this year’s version of “The Big Dance” is the problem—with our B-ball program, yes, but in its own way sort of turned out to be the storyline with our Football program too, especially as it wound things up “down the stretch and beyond. THAT’S where your concerns AND mine are still focused—with good cause! We’ll need to see real and varied improvements over there before most of us turn to shedding much energy or even attention on the limitations and plight of our basketball squad, don’t you think?
I saw the writing on the wall early in that ORU game—and what little was left beyond my “sinking feelings” by the point a final score was attained, I shook my head, turned my back and shook it off: Turned once again to our main focus, our Football program and the presumably “accelerated transition” that will now be marshaled by Dan Mullens, his staff and the incoming collection of experienced playmakers and newer talent, all hopefully ready to step up and step in.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema