• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gators coach Will Muschamp has been fired

miltongator

Gator Fan
Though IMHO, he doesn't deserve a dime of it:
With three seasons remaining on his contract, Muschamp will receiver $2 million per year, including an additional $1 million, bringing the total buyout of his contract to $7 million.

Muschamp’s Tenure

• Will Muschamp hired 18 coaches during his nearly four seasons with the Florida Gators. That number includes three offensive coordinators; four wide receivers coaches and only four members of his original staff remain with the team today.
  • Florida lost to Vanderbilt for the first time in 22 years (and the first time at home since 1945) in November of 2013 on homecoming. The Gators loss to Missouri on homecoming this season was the first time Florida has lost back-to-back homecoming games since
  • Muschamp complied a 4-11 record versus Georgia, South Carolina, LSU and Florida State.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Will Muschamp deserves the buyout. We may joke that he was an agent of Georgia, but in reality he was a lifelong Gator fan who got to coach the Gators for a few years. He did his best and it was not enough. He will do well elsewhere.

miltongator

Gator Fan
So, all told, he probably got 10 Mil to take the program to it's current state. I'm sure he meant well, but that's a pretty high price for what he produced.

Escambia94

He did not intentionally crash the program. He did the best he could with what he had. Most successful programs have smooth coaching transitions. Alabama brought an entire coaching staff from the NFL and SEC. Florida on the other hand lost Urban Meyer and key coaches/recruiters in 2010, Charlie Strong and key coaches/recruiters in 2009, and Dan Mullen and let coaches/recruiters in 2008. No continuity with coaches, schemes, or recruiting is disaster for anyone.

miltongator

Gator Fan
I'm positive the intentions were good, the results just didn't materialize. I'm also sure there are reasons (excuses) but, bottom line, 4 years and 10Mil later, here is where we are.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
He stays classy
"I appreciate the opportunity that has been offered to me and my family by Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and the University of Florida," said Muschamp. "I was given every opportunity to get it done here and I simply didn't win enough games - that is the bottom line. I'm disappointed that I didn't get it done and it is my responsibility to get it done. I have no bitter feelings, but this is a business and I wish we would have produced better results on the field. We have a great group of players and a staff that is committed to this University and this football program. They have handled themselves with class and I expect them to continue to do so. As I've said many times, life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah yeah yeah...
And it WAS "classy", exactly in line with the impression he made from the start. I liked, LIKE him as a man, what I saw AS a man, but the more time he had as the Head Gator Coach, the less I approved of his performance and results in THAT role. And that's what his firing is ultimately about.
Not gonna kick the man when he's down, but we don't need to feel TOO badly for him: He gets a real nice "free ride" now until an offer he CHOOSES to accept comes along. I remember thinking when Foley just went ahead and unilaterally extended his contract coupla years back, "Well, he better be right"--'cause there were questions even then. But we all told ourselves, myself included, "that's the way the game is played now--and anyway J. Foley knows what he's doing". No further comment there either: Is what it is--and PLEASE don't defend or explain something that presumably we all basically see, understand but may well have different takes on at this point. What's done is done, doesn't bust our budget (in fact won't affect whatever we do, or our ability to meet any payment requirement or demand for the next guy(s)in ANY WAY), so we note it, file it away (for possible future reference? Like to think so, but if history is any indication, probably not), and move on.
Complicated scenarios possible regarding the men in the seeming "point positions" on the coming search, as some of you have noted already elsewhere. So much for the "might wait one more year before actually firing Will" idea--the actual manner in which we lost just made that impossible, I suppose, if it ever still was a real consideration. At this point, the likeliest way it goes is those who think they won't be here much longer may play their parts in the apparent usual way, but "backroom" in fact defer to the individuals and forces that have been, are and will continue to be the true "Gator Power and Braintrust". "Defer" more than they might have normally in other years. I don't think we'll necessarily get "the guy Foley leans towards" or is particularly close to, friendly with this time (and if we did, that would tell everyone that he's reasserting his power and authority at UF, and isn't planning on going ANYWHERE).
But there are other reasons he might be less apt to push for "his guy" this time too. Foley got burned on this one somewhat, and may well be less inclined to make his will known and felt here, even if he's staying and could. No matter what he's got planned, how far ahead he's thinking for him, us, and the degree to which those are or will be one and the same, it's likely to be from a short list arrived at in counsel with a number of others. He'll still be the man who goes out and gets it done though, who talks to and eventually "makes the deal"--and that's a good thing. I mean, I recognize the man's strengths--and the respect with which he is held. I'm just not necessarily jazzed about the idea of handing the whole deal, choice and all to him. Not this time.

Escambia94

I get the sense that Gator fans in general forget the context behind Foley and his head coach searches. In a perfect world, Foley would have always preferred to use a search committee, as he is doing now.

On January 4, 2002, Spurrier left rather quickly and did not leave time to form a search committee. Foley scrambled to get Mike Shanahan or Bob Stoops, but this is hard to do in January. We got Zook. If you hate Zook and distrust Foley as an evaluator of coaching talent, then blame Spurrier for not warning his boss (Foley) back in December that he was having issues. He could have given Foley time to prepare... Just in case.

In October of 2004, Zook got into a shouting match and alleged shoving match in a fraternity house. Both of those acts are violations of the code of conduct and served as backdrop to fire Zook midseason. This also gave Foley time to form a search committee. We got the hottest coach on the market at the time, Urban Meyer. No, Bernie Machen did not hire Meyer. Foley did. That is Foley's job to hire football coaches. Machen never had hiring authority over coaches, and himself was hired to focus on academics.

On December 9, 2010, Urban Meyer walked away from the last five years of his contract. Think about that. He should be coaching Florida for another year! Foley, like many people, probably assumed Meyer straightened things out between December 2009 and December 2010 and was ready to coach Florida until 2015. No search committee. We got Muschamp.

In November 2014, Muschamp resigned. Foley had time to put together a search committee. I think things will turn out better, but keep in mind there are few home run hires on the market.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Fine. Let's move on from here--that's what it appears is the attitude and philosophy over at Gator Central:
The rest is more a mix of image, damage control and semantics...Muschamp's gone at the "last final gun" of the season, whenever that turns out to be, there WILL be a "search committee" this time, and J. Foley will be the man out front, coming and going and inviting and discussing etc etc and that's nothing but a positive for us--he is enormously respected and able. He'll have all the resources of the University at his disposal, and I am fairly hopeful he'll go out and get whomever they end up deciding IS our best "fit". I'm confident that'll be someone who brings definite vision and a growing rep himself, along with a talented young support group, loyal and hungry, when he arrives.
There's bound to be risk--hell, there's just a handful of already-proven-fabulously-successful-RIGHT-NOW guys, none of whom have the slightest reason to break THEIR contracts and move to Gainesville far as I know, so that leaves ANY choice left a risk. So it's a gamble, as always--no way to "play it safe", even if that's what we wanted them to do.
In retrospect, btw, my only real problem with the Muschamp-gamble was the raise-and-extension before the first contract was up (too late to second guess that now--just maybe learn from it). This time, we either go with the "all-but-fully-proven hot commodity" that we HAVE to give top dollar/long term to get at all, or the young done-it-all-somewhere-they-said-you-couldn't-win who's gonna get a shot with SOMEONE pretty big soon--only he gets a short first-contract and has to show what he (and the guys with him) have got fast, as other guys WILL become available over the next couple/few years.
OK--nothing brilliantly insightful or earth-shattering there--just reviewing our situation and likely options as far as what we're after. I've read and heard the lists of supposed candidates and/or possibilities here and elsewhere, and while none of 'em are in any way comprehensive, that's about how to describe the (VERY) rough general profile(s). As I've mentioned before, there are some that appear on more than one list that I am pretty damn sure just aren't gonna happen, each for different definite and specific reasons, but I'll address that as each comes up here in the weeks ahead, if/when they do. Personally, I'm not well-enough versed in all this, the people themselves already-named OR the others who may fit or who'd be worth considering but haven't been yet (at least we hear no word of it--YET) to feel I can pick one out and even say, "Yes--HE could be the guy". I certainly LIKE a number of the men who are being talked about, my impressions of what they've done AND the "team" they'd likely bring with them were they to get the job. But I wanna know more, HEAR more, take a closer look at each, let the process itself go to work, hopefully do what it's supposed to do.
(Meanwhile, though, I wanted to put a Q out there: From a contractual standpoint, was Muschamp "asked to step down" but "allowed to finish out the season coaching his team", whereby in agreeing to do so, he gets that "buyout" clause AND continues to collect his salary until either the end of his contract or he accepts another job? Or did he truly "resign", as is sometimes stated? I had understood that it was the former, "asked to step down" being of course a nice way of putting "fired"--sort of "canned, with dignity". Doesn't really change much of anything, especially regarding where we go from here, but I want to make sure I have it right for the sake of anything I say about all this being right, fair, and accurate.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(PS to above: "RECRUIT YOUR ASS-OFF TIME" : The "new guy(s)" will get to show a big part of "what they got" real quick--and under the most trying, demanding and crucial of circumstances: Their OWN future is on the line with this one.)

Escambia94

Jeremy Foley has not disclosed whether Will Muschamp was fired or if Muschamp resigned. Technically if Muschamp were fired, UF would own him $2M x 3 years plus a $1M bonus (for hitting contractual goals on team academics) for a total of $7M. If he resigned, UF could elect to pay Muschamp nothing. Then again, as I reiterate time and time again, Jeremy Foley is a classy athletic director and boss and could have fired Muschamp while promising the majority of the $7M any way. My guess is that Foley spoke with Muschamp after the Missouri loss and the two agreed verbally that Muschamp would not coach in 2015 if he lost to Georgia and/or South Carolina. We may never know that actually happened, and I like it that way. I think we as fans should respect some privacy between the AD and head coach. Muschamp's contract is publicly available, and anything beyond that contract should be private.

Hindsight is 20/20, so it is easy to say that Foley made an obvious mistake with hiring an unknown quantity in Muschamp. I think that we will find out later that it was a good hire, but it was bad timing. Florida is a tough place for a first time coach. Muschamp's first bad decision was hiring Charlie Weis. In hindsight, that was a bad hire that forever doomed the next two offensive coordinators. The other hires were great hires at the time, but look bad in retrospect. Hiring former Gator WR Aubrey Hill as WR coach only a week after taking the job at UF looked brilliant at the time. Who better to coach Gator receivers and recruit the south Florida region than former south Florida star and former Gator WR Aubrey Hill? A couple years later, I thought it was brilliant to grab a former head coach and OC, Joker Phillips. The fact that both had to leave over recruiting infractions shows just how important running a clean program is. The failures of Charlie Weis, Brent Pease, and Kurt Roper all point that it is not just the OC that shapes the offense--it is an offensive staff. None of those coaches brought any trusted assistants with them. Remember that Urban Meyer, Dan Mullen, and Billy Gonzalez together built those 2006 and 2008 top offenses at Florida. It was not just coach. Roper will not succeed at Florida without a trusted assistant, and he will not succeed elsewhere without a trusted assistant.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK. Moving on, REALLY good overview of the list of candidates for "next guy", concise and comprehensive in laying out who are more likely, less so, no WAY, and why, just out on "Alligator Army/SB Nation" @ http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/11/21/7259281/a-comprehensive-list-of-head-coach-candidates
Check it out--as I say about it here on other thread where I left the link ("Head Coaching Candidates"), it'll save a lot of time for all of us as a starting point, at least.
Oh--and one more thing: Any discussion of particular "good people to consider at assistant/supporting positions" will have to be considered against the background/reality of who the actual person hired will bring WITH him...Doesn't mean we can't talk about ideas and personal opinions, just that it's another factor in the Head Coach choice itself, along with whether a particular Assistant Coach position will even be open once the HC job is filled.

Escambia94

Let's talk about those assistants:
  • DC DJ Durkin. He will not be considered for a DC position by any competent head coach. I would keep him as a special teams coach, which is where he belongs.
  • OC Kurt Roper. I am highly disappointed in this hire. All fluff, no content. I hope this guy never, ever mentions that he coached the Manning boys. I call bullsh!t. Go back to Duke and your mediocre league of rapists, thugs, and thieves, @sshole.
  • STC Coleman Hutzler. Where do I start with this loser? Missouri. Frickin' Missouri. I hope you land a job at a division 3 school, jerk.
  • DLC Brad Lawing. This guy should be retained by a future head coach. He seems to be an excellent recruiter and position coach. If the Gators magically make it into the Campbell's Soup Bowl, then Lawing may likely be the interim coach for that game. All five Gator fans that travel to watch the game will be impressed that Florida only lost by 3 f*cking points to Miami or the University of South Central Lower Iowa.
  • WRC Chris Leak. Wonderful QB. Crappy coach. I think if you added the total yardage by the Gator receivers, it would equal the single game reception total for the University of South Central Lower Iowa. That will look great on your resume, Chris Leak. You can stay on the coaching staff and remind recruits and freshmen that at one time Florida had a respectable football team.
  • DBC Travaris Robinson. Travaris took over as the lead recruiter, which is why UF is #999 out of 14 SEC schools in recruiting. Go recruit at Miami or something, jerk.
  • TEC Derek Lewis. What the heck does this guy do all damn day? Do any of our tight ends have a reception? If so, it sure as $#it ain't Clay Burton or Tevin Westbrook! What the hell do you practice all day?
  • RBC Brian White. The running backs seem to be doing okay. Maybe the only bright spot on the team.
  • OLC Mike Summers. Sure, you can stay, but only because I am grabbing more booze and am tired of typing.
The next head coach had better bring an army full of assistants. Florida needs it.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also South Carolina was also a special teams failure for Hutzler. Coach high school dude. Also Summers should go because I'm tired of the Gators blocking each other.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's talk about those assistants:
  • DC DJ Durkin. He will not be considered for a DC position by any competent head coach. I would keep him as a special teams coach, which is where he belongs.
  • OC Kurt Roper. I am highly disappointed in this hire. All fluff, no content. I hope this guy never, ever mentions that he coached the Manning boys. I call bullsh!t. Go back to Duke and your mediocre league of rapists, thugs, and thieves, @sshole.
  • STC Coleman Hutzler. Where do I start with this loser? Missouri. Frickin' Missouri. I hope you land a job at a division 3 school, jerk.
  • DLC Brad Lawing. This guy should be retained by a future head coach. He seems to be an excellent recruiter and position coach. If the Gators magically make it into the Campbell's Soup Bowl, then Lawing may likely be the interim coach for that game. All five Gator fans that travel to watch the game will be impressed that Florida only lost by 3 f*cking points to Miami or the University of South Central Lower Iowa.
  • WRC Chris Leak. Wonderful QB. Crappy coach. I think if you added the total yardage by the Gator receivers, it would equal the single game reception total for the University of South Central Lower Iowa. That will look great on your resume, Chris Leak. You can stay on the coaching staff and remind recruits and freshmen that at one time Florida had a respectable football team.
  • DBC Travaris Robinson. Travaris took over as the lead recruiter, which is why UF is #999 out of 14 SEC schools in recruiting. Go recruit at Miami or something, jerk.
  • TEC Derek Lewis. What the heck does this guy do all damn day? Do any of our tight ends have a reception? If so, it sure as $#it ain't Clay Burton or Tevin Westbrook! What the hell do you practice all day?
  • RBC Brian White. The running backs seem to be doing okay. Maybe the only bright spot on the team.
  • OLC Mike Summers. Sure, you can stay, but only because I am grabbing more booze and am tired of typing.
The next head coach had better bring an army full of assistants. Florida needs it.
@Escambia94, @Leakfan12,
Since I have found a good portion of the various soaked-in-certainty recommendations out there so far either unworkable, unthinkable or downright delusional, I am relieved that most of what has been discussed here at GE of late has been more realistic--and I really appreciate your right-on-point (and funny) dismissals of some of these. I just hope the people who are going to be making the most important decision of all will be as clear-eyed and unsentimental. The new Head Coach, after all, will make most of the rest of these. As you say, E-, we have to hope he'll bring a LOTTA "new blood" in across-the-board--and that he doesn't automatically retain some of those here now just because he DOESN'T have a particular hot young member of his prospective "team" of "talented devotees" already penciled in for that role. I mean, in one noted example, Chris Leak is a good guy and great Gator--but he isn't a good coach yet, at best "wasn't/isn't ready for that job at this level". In fact, I agree that Brian White is the only one worth keeping--though Lawing too shows competence and might be kept for the sake of "recruiting continuity"--not much there so far, but he's the one guy who has and continues to maintain contact, not just with the few so far we'll wanna hold onto but (I am told) with practically every highly-rated prep prospect in Fla. Other than that, well, y'all have said it all, and said it well. Thanks

(PS to above: For anyone who is big on a Shanahan hire, or even just includes one on a "candidates" list, I assume that person is not familiar with the story of how and why members of neither group, Shanahans or current Gator decision-makers, will be in the slightest bit interested in talking to each other about it. As no one here at least (as opposed to other sites) has suggested it, I won't bother to explain...I figure you're all aware of this one. But if that changes, "we'll talk".)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema