• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gator Bites, Week 13: Florida Gators vs Georgia Southern Eagles

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Let's not spend too much time languishing over the past fives losses in a row and look forward to a potential confidence booster against the Georgia Southern Eagles. GSU is in a transitional period from FCS Southern Conference to FBS Sun Belt Conference, and currently has a 6-4 (4-4) record with victories over Savannah State, St. Francis, Chattanooga, The Citadel, Western Carolina, and Elon. Their losses have come against Appalachia State, Wofford, Samford, and Furman. The Eagles run an offshoot of the Paul Young, Georgia Tech, triple-option offense. Statistically, the Eagles look just like the Gators--heavily dependent upon the running game with limited passing attack. The Eagles will also look to control the clock, and limit turnovers. TRIVIA: The Eagle's best player in the modern era is Adrian Petersen. No, not THAT Adrian Peterson, but Adrian Petersen, younger brother of Gator Great and All American, All SEC linebacker, Mike Petersen.

Escambia94

In the last two years, the Georgia Southern Eagles' offense has challenged two very good defense: Georgia (302 rushing yards in 2012) and Alabama (302 rushing yards in 2011, the highest yield of the Saban era). Also note that our biggest losses in 2013 come from opponents that run well.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Food for thought from a former Gator Great:

Written by Carlos Alvarez, November 14, 2013, 1 Comment,

A message to the Gator Nation from one of the greatest Gators of all-time, Carlos Alvarez, a member of both the College Football and Academic All-America halls of fame:

What do we do now Gator Nation? It has been tough this year for all of us. You can only imagine if you live in Tallahassee like I do. It’s been brutal.

But what do we do now Gator Nation? Do we sulk? Do we boo? Do we complain about the coaching staff? Do we complain about the athletic department’s administration? Do we get people fired? Do we do all of the above? Or is there a better path?

I know what FSU, Miami, Georgia and others want us to do – all of the above. They love to see the misery and know that doing any or all of the above will hurt the Gators in the future. Who wants to come to Florida with the Gator Nation so divided? Who wants to come to Florida when winning trumps everything that is great about the University of Florida?

The University of Florida remains great and by far the best university in this state regardless of our won-loss record this year. The stellar academic and athletic achievements over the years at the University of Florida did not vanish because we lost to Vanderbilt. Jeremy Foley did not go from the best AD in the country to the worst because we lost to Vanderbilt. These are bumps in the road to athletic greatness not dead ends.

Never forget that the highs in life are better if you truly know the lows. Lows happen. Lows happen to the best coaches, to the best athletic departments, to the best universities, to the best of communities and nations. If you don’t know this then study the history of college football. Bear Bryant – he had lows; Nick Saban – he had lows; Steve Spurrier – he had lows, Alabama had lows, LSU had lows and on and on. Forged metal is stronger for going through the fire.

Future players are looking at the Gator Nation to see how we respond. Think of recruits sitting in the stands hearing boos. Think of them reading rant after rant on message boards. On the other hand think of recruits at home or in the stands seeing the Gator Nation support the team through the toughest times. What do you think is best for our future? And as a side note but equally important, think of the present families and friends of Gator players and coaches at home and in the stands and the pain they are feeling. Their sacrifice deserves our respect. What would you do if a Gator player or coach was part of your family? Aren’t we supposed to be a big family?

But here is the most important point. The Gator coaches and players are working tirelessly to make Florida successful. I have been at the practices and know how hard they work and how much they care. No one is more disappointed than they are about how this season has played out. They have devoted their lives to this team. If you can’t see Coach Will Muschamp’s heartfelt disappointment after Georgia and Vanderbilt, your eyes aren’t open. Is there anyone out there who has any doubts that Coach Muschamp is working relentlessly to change the course of this season? Support them now – despite all setbacks this season, they have not quit – and let the future be decided on merit and knowing that the Gator Nation never stopped supporting their efforts. Do not hamper their effort with negativity!

When I played for the Gators I was part of the most successful season at the time in Florida football history when we only lost one game and beat SEC champion Tennessee in the Gator Bowl. Two years later we were mired in a horrible start for a variety of reasons including injuries to key players, toughest schedule in the nation, and narrow loses. We started the season 0-5 and we were facing FSU on Florida Field. FSU was 5-0.

We had beaten them three years in a row and this was by far their most important game of the season and perhaps their history. Blood colored the water and sharks were circling. Our morale hung on the brink of extinction. I played the game and know that each loss for 18 to 22-year-olds feels like the worst thing that will ever happen in your life.

“What do we do now?” that Gator team asked itself. Do we sulk, do we complain about each other, do we forget about the season, do we simply give up? The Gator players met at the 50-yard line on Florida Field the night before the game and decided what we would do and it was none of the above.

We would not look back but look forward. We would not place blame but we would give total effort towards accomplishing the only thing that mattered – beating FSU. We promised to each other as brothers and to all the fans who would be there for the game that we would leave everything we had on the field, every muscle, every thought, everything part of ourselves.

Gator fans decided on that sparkling fall Saturday that they too would look forward and not sulk. They had every reason to boo but they decided that their goal was the same as the Gator team – beat FSU. A magic synergy rose between the Gator team and the fans that day. We fed off of each other. The fans cheered our three-yard runs like 80-yard touchdowns. Deafening roars answered every FSU incompletion. We could do no wrong and the Seminoles could do no right according to the Gator Nation that day. We won, 17-15.

What did that game teach me? By the end of my career I held most of the SEC and Florida game, season, and career pass receiving records, but I would trade them all for the experience of that game. How many passes did I catch that game? None. It was the first time in my career after 25 games that I did not catch a pass. But whether I was blocking downfield, fighting through blockers to cover a punt, or returning punts I can tell you I was having a superb afternoon and loved playing the game. Why? The team effort was total, the fan effort was total, each player felt faster, stronger, smarter because you could feel the positive energy exploding at Florida Field. Never, never, never underestimate that. All of us – players, coaches, fans – were there for each other. And when you play for each other as a team, you are a fierce and very dangerous competitor. I will die remembering that game.

And “no,” I am not being a blind idealist. Older Gator fans know that I have been a relentless critic in the past when I thought it was merited. I absolutely understand, however, that what has happened this year involves so many unexpected and unprecedented events that no college team could experience such adversity and realistically have a superior season. Think of our last two national championship teams and think of their seasons without either Percy Harvin or Tim Tebow. Same result?

So that leads me to answering the question that started this discussion, “What do we do now Gator Nation?”

Any Gator fan knows the words by heart, “In all kinds of weather, we’ll all stick together.” We stand and lock arms at the end of third quarters to sing them. But they are more than words to me. They are a promise we make to each other, to the University, to the players, coaches, and fans. We can’t change the past, but we can lock arms and look forward to the future. Honor our promise to each other.

I strongly encourage all of us in the Gator Nation to look forward and embrace this team – all of it. Regardless of the outcome, we are in this “together.” Let’s go get it done and move forward the right way. Let’s do it for each other, and most of all let’s do it for all the Gator players, coaches, administrators, students and fans that over a century have worked so hard to be part of and build our great tradition. We are, after all, the Gator Nation. Let’s show the rest of the nation what that means and that we know the better path.

That is what makes the Gator Nation great.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"...let's concentrate on a confidence booster against Georgia Southern..."??? Oh, PUH-LEEZE!
I guess I just don't fit in here at all right now, if that is the general view.
Far be it from ME to bust yer happy bubble-of-good-and-contented-vibes, guys. If that's where y'all wanna be, in some self-deluded, deny-reality dreamland of "Everything will be fine if we can beat a patsy this week!", well, I'll get outta the way. Good luck with that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS BTW, As per MUSCHAMP'S comments in this regard, I support the PLAYERS completely: It is HE whom I have lost confidence in, which has been more and more the case of late--though given my original level-of-support and continued respect for him as a MAN, that took a lot--and a long string of repeated behaviors and subsequent laying-of-blame on HIS part before I got to that point. Remember HIM laying into his D, after Pease's offense--I am by now convinced at our HC's direct encouragement and approval--in effect once again left them twisting-in-the-wind, on the field 3/4 of the game and ultimately on the wrong side of ANOTHER 14-6 loss? That was HIM "blaming the players" for that loss, his own DEFENSE, not himself and his OC as deserved! A little late and a LOT hypocritical him condemning fans now for doing the same thing--though on the point itself of course I happen to agree with him.
Now look at the most recent game: Taylor's brilliant running got 'em 2 TDs in those first few decently concieved and scripted series on offense--and then they had nothing else to offer, essentially "waiting-with-the-lead" the rest of the game for the other guys--an offense designed and run by STEVE SPURRIER for F's sake!--to catch them.
Still, I WILL accept his continuing as Head Coach (may well HAVE to: From what I understand, Foley has put his own tenure and rep on the line to block the boosters' pressure to "fire the HC NOW"--and the Regents do back Foley, at least for now), can do so with some degree of confidence in fact, IF the OC is changed, and Muschamp's "responsibility"--read "influence and direct control"--over the the offense is greatly curtailed. He's a fine defensive coach and mind, a strong leader and disciplinarian, and represents us well in every other way--but HE DON'T KNOW SHIT 'BOUT OFFENSE, and it's KILLING us.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
In respect to Mr. Alvarez, is kind of hard for fans to accept a team to go from a BCS bowl to close of not even going to a bowl game (and not sure if I want to Gators going to a bowl game this season if they win out). However, UF-FSU is those rivalries a team can go 0-11 and if they win against their rival, their season is made. Plus it's in G-Ville and the Gators still have a great D. They got a chance, if not well there's basketball season and 2014 to look forward to.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Until we start putting points on the scoreboard and get away from this 1960s football we will not be successful. Muschamp will never be convinced of that he is to stubborn. Its kind of hard not to boo this style of play and result. I still believe we need a coaching change.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
"No one is bigger than the Program"...Seems I have to say that once AGAIN, almost 4 years later, this time w/respect to THAT coach's successor...
It is NOT our GATORS whom I rail against: It is this Head Coach and (what most assuredly IS) his OC that have drawn my ire and negativity. Y'all GOTTA separate these two distinct "entities". I will ALWAYS love and support our TEAM, and the players who comprise it. I KNOW they hurt, and I am certain they are ready to make any sacrifice to win, and WIN NOW. They are just being completely let down by the stubborn inflexibility and hidebound "philosophy" of their Head Coach and what turns out to be somewhat of a "lackey" who won't stand up to him at OC (possibly because he has no real personal "style" or "philosophy" of his own).

miltongator

Gator Fan
Fans need to make signs that read: "These boo's are for Muschamp....not the players" Love the players, hate the coaches.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Until we start putting points on the scoreboard and get away from this 1960s football we will not be successful. Muschamp will never be convinced of that he is to stubborn. Its kind of hard not to boo this style of play and result. I still believe we need a coaching change.
Yes. I am now convinced that you are right, aweb...My latest comments more or less "accepting" the possiblity of success WITH Muschamp are a realistic acknowledgment that with the way things are developing, he may well HAVE at least another year, even WITH continued losses. I've given the conditions under which I personally could foresee a healthy turn-around and success next season with him at-the-helm...They may be specific and limited in their likelihood--but it's the best I can do as far as "confidence, optimism and support" goes, under the circumstances.

awebbf5

VIP Member
If he would get a offensive guru and say get me 35 points a game and I'll take care of the defense then I think he would be OK Dru , but I really don't see him doing that. In all honesty idk why ermon or any other receiver would want to come here cause I really believe that coming here under this scheme is pointless for a wr.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dru2012, I think we can all agree that Coach Muschamp may need to go; but a win is a win.
Can't argue with the reasoning there, Dale--it just ain't "ENOUGH", not to offset the damage already and continuing to be done, or change what's already been revealed about our Head Coach. Now: if he can't and/or won't recognize his own failures and weaknesses, will someone in a position to DO so (Foley) do HIS job? ie."OK, keep him you believe in him so strongly, but get his hands OFF that offense!"...Handle it however you like, sir, stress "the positives" of his "strength on defense and as a leader, a "molder of young men", "ease the burden of too MANY duties", WHATEVER, but SOMEONE'S gotta get this thing turned around with a dose of REALITY. Foley's in the "buck stops here" position now, and this is one of those times.

Escambia94

I hear you guys. Don't mistake me as a sunshine pumper--I am a realist. I was not 100% sold on the Will Muschamp hire three years ago, but I was willing to keep an open mind. I actually thought Charlie Weis was a good hire and was going to pan out, and I was dead wrong. I was excited about the Brent Pease hire, but that excitement disappeared two years ago. Here we are facing the wrong end of history, and I want Will Muschamp gone, but I am not going to waste anymore booze and anger on this guy. He is the coach, and I have to support him or turn in my Gator card--this is the coach that will shape the team for yet another year. I do have family that stopped supporting the Gators when they hired Urban Meyer. I cannot be like them. That being said, as much as I am disappointed at the coaching of this team for the past few years, I have reason to believe that Muschamp is the right man for the long term fix to the program. I do not think our OC is the right long-term fix. I have reason to believe that there is something wrong with the way they practice or work out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If he would get a offensive guru and say get me 35 points a game and I'll take care of the defense then I think he would be OK Dru , but I really don't see him doing that. In all honesty idk why ermon or any other receiver would want to come here cause I really believe that coming here under this scheme is pointless for a wr.
Frankly, I tend to agree...As I say, just trying to articulate how far down this road I'm willing to go, given the latest "trend" folks inside are saying appears to be solidifying--where Foley's heels-dug-in resistance to a Head Coaching change at this time, and the Regents' own reticence to overrule (let alone LOSE) Foley himself, may well leave us with minimum "one more year" regardless. Personally, if that means "nothing changes, let it ride and NEXT year will be dramatically better", well, to me that's an empty promise at best--and possibly the silliest "pipe dream" of them all. Of course, there's NOTHING "silly" about the likely consequences: We'll not just lose that ONE year, if I'm right, but by then the two at LEAST it'll take to get back "on-track" (ie. approximately even with where we should and COULD be if we took the necessary and available steps starting right here, right NOW)--THREE years, when you add that "one more" they now appear headed towards giving him. Either that "trend" turns out not to hold, or "they" (ie.Foley, his support-system, and ultimately the Muschamp-regime itself) better be RIGHT, OR the road back will literally be "long and hard".

Escambia94

Fast forward to halfway through the video (about 1:57) to get a preview of the GaSo Eagle offense and defense:

They have a monster fullback that is going to be a problem.

awebbf5

VIP Member
OK guys let's say something happens Saturday the unthinkable happens and we lose, does muschamp get canned for that? Or does the support from Foley keep him? Just wanted to know thoughts on the matter.

Escambia94

No. I am 51% certain we lose, but 100% certain Muschamp keeps his job. He has the injury excuse, plus a 1000% vote of confidence.

Foley has acceded the season as a loss. I would agree that no coach on earth could do better with 25 injuries--10 for the season. I also posted in the injury thread that we lost six players to attrition--five are better than our current backups.

To put it another way, our traveling team of 50 players is 50% backups that would not be starting on most other teams. Our home team of 80 players is 25% players who might never see the field if the aforementioned starters were healthy. What coach could win at Florida with this situation?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema