• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Future of John Brantley?

jamestoney84

Gator Fan
What is going to be the future of JB?

I have a hard time believing he will be drafted into the NFL if he enters after this season. He lacks heart and competitiveness that people saw in Tebow.

Any thoughts?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, NO one out there compares with TT, least of all among OUR team's prospects--hell, our whole TEAM "lacks heart and competitiveness".
JB was just finally starting to show something when he got hurt--now he has to get back and show a little more of that, maybe lead this team to a few wins to end the season, JUST to get a low-round shot from someone. Otherwise he'll go to the combines and try to stand out, get invited to a camp somewhere maybe. He's got enough publicity and family connections (and he is/was the starting quarterback at the University of Florida, after all) to get an invite if he shows anything at ALL.
Beyond that, who knows? Hasn't exactly been a stellar college career, but maybe he keeps "growing", in every way...
(Frankly, though I don't wish him ill, I really don't CARE what he does after this--I'm no longer a big NFL fan and, call it sour grapes, but if he were to go on and "blossom" into some pro-star I'd only find that ironic--and frustrating, to think about what-might-have-been.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think he'll get a few chances he has the Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day not to mention the remaining six games of the season (I'm counted the possible bowl game). The Seattle Seahawks gave one-time Gator QB Josh Portis a chance and he's one injury away (or if Whitehurst really screws up) from playing. I think Brantley might be a mid to late pick.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Brantley is a hard sell in the NFL. You can't blame Urban Meyer, thanks to Chris Leak. Since he could not pull a Leak and flourish in a sutras option, and he was injured his senior year, he will have to have a record breaking end of the season and a historic Combine and Senior Bowl in order to get drafted. There are a lot of studs in college that will look better to the scouts.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Brantley is a hard sell in the NFL. You can't blame Urban Meyer, thanks to Chris Leak. Since he could not pull a Leak and flourish in a sutras option, and he was injured his senior year, he will have to have a record breaking end of the season and a historic Combine and Senior Bowl in order to get drafted. There are a lot of studs in college that will look better to the scouts.

Well maybe a little bit, Keep in mind Urban adjust his playbook to Leak's strengths (though he had to because Leak was already there and losing to Bama and LSU helped with the changes being made) but for some reason didn't do the same for Brantley. I remember Chris Simms had a medicore career at best in Texas and some scouts had him in the first round (he ended up being drafted in the 3rd round by the Bucs).

Escambia94

True, but Leak still ran option and zone read plays. It is not as if the playbook were adjusted to be 90% pro style. One of the misunderstandings of the Urban Meyer offense is that most assume it is pure spread or mostly option. What is commonly known as the Utah Offense from Meyer is primarily zone read with most of the reads leading to option plays, but many of the reads can lead to West Coast Offense plays--short passes in the flat, quick slants, and seam routes. It was not as drastic a change as many would assume. Many assume Leak's increase in rushing yards all came from option plays. Nope. Compare those running plays to Joe Montana (a pure dropback passer that weighed 20 pounds less than Brantley), a man who held the record for QB rushing yards in a Superbowl for many years. I was not happy with Brantley last year, because he could have taken it upon himself to read the zone and "option" to West Coast as Leak did...as Meyer and Addazio hinted. We will never know why that never panned out, because we place the blame entirely on He Who Shall Not Br Named. In reality, it was probably Brantley's inability to adjust as Leak did, given similar opportunities.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Even if he doesn't get drafted, Brantley will work out with some teams and I think has the chance to make a roster. I think he will dominate his pro days. Not many other QB's can sit there and throw a ball as good as him in drills.

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
What is going to be the future of JB?

I have a hard time believing he will be drafted into the NFL if he enters after this season. He lacks heart and competitiveness that people saw in Tebow.

Any thoughts?

If john gets drafted he will be a very late pick in the league. Although this is second year underneath center he lacks leadership ability and alot of mechanics that he needs to work on. Coming from the shadows of tebow people and fans are going to want the exact same QB that will lead them to the national championship every year like tebow did, John just isnt Tim and thats what alot of peoople need to notice about him.

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
Even if he doesn't get drafted, Brantley will work out with some teams and I think has the chance to make a roster. I think he will dominate his pro days. Not many other QB's can sit there and throw a ball as good as him in drills.

I agree with you John will get invited to the combine, work out for teams and such, But i disagree with you about his ball skills. There alot of better QB's right now in the draft class of 2012 that are ahead of him in throwing the ball. But John is one of them.

Escambia94

I doubt anyone would compare Brantley to Tebow now. One more year and another coaching change have separated the two. Brantley will be evaluated on his 2011-2012 season, NFL Combine, Pro Day, and scouting reports. Thanks to the injury, he needs to have a rock star 2011 once he returns in order to get drafted, and continue looking good in passing drills and workouts. My guess is that he will be scouted lower than Leak, who went undrafted. Luck, Moore, and maybe Keenum are already ahead of Brantley in the draft stock, and there are others who could slide in ahead.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, to have ANY shot at even a LOW-round pick he'd have to light-it-up the rest of the way, really take charge and lead the team, too. Love to see him do it, of course, but he has to get healthy and ON THE FIELD first.
He gets invited to a camp or two, though, with any kind of decent post-season/pre-draft performances. No matter what, though, as you say, he'll have a number of seemingly more seasoned guys in line ahead of him; it'll be a challenge, a real uphill road, no matter what.

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
I doubt anyone would compare Brantley to Tebow now. One more year and another coaching change have separated the two. Brantley will be evaluated on his 2011-2012 season, NFL Combine, Pro Day, and scouting reports. Thanks to the injury, he needs to have a rock star 2011 once he returns in order to get drafted, and continue looking good in passing drills and workouts. My guess is that he will be scouted lower than Leak, who went undrafted. Luck, Moore, and maybe Keenum are already ahead of Brantley in the draft stock, and there are others who could slide in ahead.

True. i totally agree, see im in college and im studying to become a scout and when i looked over and evaluated his film over the other top quaterbacks brantley will be one of the lower ranking qb's in this years draft. If he gets invited to the combined he better have a all star combine, private workout to be up there with every other qb in the draft. Now to answere you question about brantley's comparison to Leak ,Although Chris Leak was a outstanding quaterback coming out of florida and also his senior bowl in 06, But i doubt Brantley will get scouted lower than leak.

Escambia94

True. i totally agree, see im in college and im studying to become a scout and when i looked over and evaluated his film over the other top quaterbacks brantley will be one of the lower ranking qb's in this years draft. If he gets invited to the combined he better have a all star combine, private workout to be up there with every other qb in the draft. Now to answere you question about brantley's comparison to Leak ,Although Chris Leak was a outstanding quaterback coming out of florida and also his senior bowl in 06, But i doubt Brantley will get scouted lower than leak.

Silly question. What does one study to be a scout?

I see the QBs going in this order (note that I am an engineer, not a scout):
  1. Andrew Luck, Stanford (Miami or Indianapolis, round 1) - Who will be the NFL's biggest loser and win the Suck for Luck Sweepstakes? Luck's position as #1 draft pick has been reserved for a couple seasons now.
  2. Landry Jones, Oklahoma (Miami or Indianapolis, round 1) - Jones has leapt up the draft board. He is good enough to force a possible 1-2 QB draft position, but he may go as low as 3 or 4 if Miami or Indy accidentally win a couple games.
  3. Matt Barkley, USC (Denver or Washington, round 1 or 2+) - If Elway/Fox cannot get Luck, and Tebow does not win convincingly the rest of the year, we might Timmy get traded away and replaced by a more prototypical QB.
  4. Kellen Moore, BSU (New England or Chicago, round 2+) - Both New England and Chicago can use a future QB.
  5. John Brantley IV, Florida (New England or Chicago, round 2-4) - JB4 will have his work cut out for him if he wants to go earlier in the draft. I cannot rank him higher than the other four, even with the O & B glasses on.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Side note: Interesting that the Colts seem to have a shot at picking up the much-coveted Luck as a result of the one season that their heretofore "unbreakable", best-in-the-League QB goes down--on the back end of HIS career, perfectly-timed for him to come back, lead them to another couple of good runs while Luck (or the VERY acceptable "consolation prize", Jones) learns and grows, then steps into the role when Peyton walks off gracefully into the sunset.
Almost seems unfair.

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
Silly question. What does one study to be a scout?

I see the QBs going in this order (note that I am an engineer, not a scout):
  1. Andrew Luck, Stanford (Miami or Indianapolis, round 1) - Who will be the NFL's biggest loser and win the Suck for Luck Sweepstakes? Luck's position as #1 draft pick has been reserved for a couple seasons now.
  2. Landry Jones, Oklahoma (Miami or Indianapolis, round 1) - Jones has leapt up the draft board. He is good enough to force a possible 1-2 QB draft position, but he may go as low as 3 or 4 if Miami or Indy accidentally win a couple games.
  3. Matt Barkley, USC (Denver or Washington, round 1 or 2+) - If Elway/Fox cannot get Luck, and Tebow does not win convincingly the rest of the year, we might Timmy get traded away and replaced by a more prototypical QB.
  4. Kellen Moore, BSU (New England or Chicago, round 2+) - Both New England and Chicago can use a future QB.
  5. John Brantley IV, Florida (New England or Chicago, round 2-4) - JB4 will have his work cut out for him if he wants to go earlier in the draft. I cannot rank him higher than the other four, even with the O & B glasses on.

To answer your first question. Im a freshman at and right now i know you should pursue a degree in sports management and have a great football background. Myself i played football ever since i was 5years old all the way up until now. Also get some great internships with nfl sports teams, although you won't more than likely get the dream job as a scout working with player personel as an intern but anything with a nfl sports team that deals with breaking down, evaluating players and such. Also Sports Management World Wide is a great source also im looking in to taking summer classes with them either next year or my junior year.

Now to the players..
I agree with the first 4picks but brantley would not be the fifth qb off the board, I see these two potential draft picks takin the fifth spot off the board . You have to remember these two picks Brandon Weeten (OKST), Kirk Cousins(MichSt). Dont take my word about it for right now but when i watched the last games that these guyd. Brandon having a phenomenal game throwing the ball to Justin Blackmon and Kirk having a comeback win vs Wisconsin. Brandon is alot more mobile and has more experience under center than Brantley. Kirk being a what 3 year starter sharing roles his sophmore year but his junior and this year he is having a great year. Like i said earlier for Brantley to have a chance to be one of the top 5 QB's off the board he needs to have a steller rest of the season.

Escambia94

I do not know much about Weeten and Cousins. If you are right and Brantley is closer to #7, that may not bode well. Here is a re-hash of the 2011 draft, just for quarterbacks.
  1. Carolina Panthers – Round 1(1) – Cam Newton, Auburn
  2. Tennessee Titans – Round 1(8) – Jake Locker, Washington
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Round 1(10) – Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
  4. Minnesota Vikings – Round 1(12) – Christian Ponder, Florida State
  5. Cincinnati Bengals – Round 2(35) – Andy Dalton, TCU
  6. San Francisco 49ers – Round 2(36) – Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
  7. New England Patriots – Round 3(74) – Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
  8. Kansas City Chiefs – Round 5(135) – Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
  9. Houston Texans – Round 5(152) – Taylor Yates, North Carolina
  10. Chicago Bears – Round 5(160) – Nathan Enderle, Idaho
  11. Baltimore Ravens – Round 6(180) – Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
  12. New York Jets – Round 7(208) – Greg McElroy, Alabama
Essentially we can write off Locker and the ones drafted after Dalton. I compared ESPN, and other sources to get a longer list of NFL prospects and realized I may have been overzealous putting Brantley at #5. Here is a best guess based on the ESPN and other draft rankings:
  1. Andrew Luck
  2. Matt Barkley
  3. Landry Jones
  4. Robert Griffin
  5. Nick Foles (Who? I guess I should watch more non-SEC teams. )
  6. Ryan Tannehill (No way! I would drop him out of the top 10.)
  7. Kirk Cousins
  8. Geno Smith (I disagree...I would drop him to #10)
  9. Brandon Weeden
  10. Kellen Moore (I think he should be in the top five.)
16. John Brantley (Some sources only rank the top 15, so JB4 does not even show up on everyone's list.)
Yeah. Nobody else ranks JB4 in the top 15. Last year, the NFL drafted 12 QBs, and only 3 of them look to be getting significant playing time this year, and only a couple more may see the football field anytime soon. Maybe JB4 is going to have to settle with Canadian Football, or really have a breakout game against the remainder of our opposition.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Nick Foles is a beast! He is the QB at Arizona. Great potential, but has never had a good team around him. Especially not this year, UA's o-line is absolutely terrible. True freshman were starting at both tackles to begin the season.

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
If john gets drafted he will be a very late pick in the league. Although this is second year underneath center he lacks leadership ability and alot of mechanics that he needs to work on. Coming from the shadows of tebow people and fans are going to want the exact same QB that will lead them to the national championship every year like tebow did, John just isnt Tim and thats what alot of peoople need to notice about him.

1.Andrew Luck
2. Landry Jones
3. Matt Barkley
4. Ryan Tanner Hill
5. Kirk Cousins
6. Russel Wilson
7. John Brantley

Andre Majors

Gator Fan
I do not know much about Weeten and Cousins. If you are right and Brantley is closer to #7, that may not bode well. Here is a re-hash of the 2011 draft, just for quarterbacks.
  1. Carolina Panthers – Round 1(1) – Cam Newton, Auburn
  2. Tennessee Titans – Round 1(8) – Jake Locker, Washington
  3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Round 1(10) – Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
  4. Minnesota Vikings – Round 1(12) – Christian Ponder, Florida State
  5. Cincinnati Bengals – Round 2(35) – Andy Dalton, TCU
  6. San Francisco 49ers – Round 2(36) – Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
  7. New England Patriots – Round 3(74) – Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
  8. Kansas City Chiefs – Round 5(135) – Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
  9. Houston Texans – Round 5(152) – Taylor Yates, North Carolina
  10. Chicago Bears – Round 5(160) – Nathan Enderle, Idaho
  11. Baltimore Ravens – Round 6(180) – Tyrod Taylor, Virginia Tech
  12. New York Jets – Round 7(208) – Greg McElroy, Alabama
Essentially we can write off Locker and the ones drafted after Dalton. I compared ESPN, and other sources to get a longer list of NFL prospects and realized I may have been overzealous putting Brantley at #5. Here is a best guess based on the ESPN and other draft rankings:

1. Andrew Luck
  2. Matt Barkley
  3. Landry Jones
  4. Robert Griffin
  5. Nick Foles (Who? I guess I should watch more non-SEC teams. )
  6. Ryan Tannehill (No way! I would drop him out of the top 10.)
  7. Kirk Cousins
  8. Geno Smith (I disagree...I would drop him to #10)
  9. Brandon Weeden
  10. Kellen Moore (I think he should be in the top five.)
16. John Brantley (Some sources only rank the top 15, so JB4 does not even show up on everyone's list.)

Yeah. Nobody else ranks JB4 in the top 15. Last year, the NFL drafted 12 QBs, and only 3 of them look to be getting significant playing time this year, and only a couple more may see the football field anytime soon. Maybe JB4 is going to have to settle with Canadian Football, or really have a breakout game against the remainder of our opposition.

1. Andrew Luck
2. Landry Jones
3. Matt Barkley
4. Ryan Tannerhill
5. Kirk Cousins
6. Russel Wilson
7. John Brantley

Leakfan12

VIP Member
What about the guy from Houston? Also Moore from Boise is 6 foot or shorter I doubt he'll get looked at (hint: Chris Leak) though if the scouts are looking at him higher than Brantley and others taller than he's doing something right. RG3 is a beast.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema