• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

CRAZY THOUGHT: My “Out of Left Field” Solution

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
“Solution” is probably not the right word...”Wild Longshot to deal with a near IMPOSSIBLE SITUATION” is more like it.
SO, here it is:
Fire Stricklin, hire SPURRIER to replace him! (If only he’d TAKE THE JOB—admittedly a big “IF”, AND the same for whether that’d even work!)
But damnit it MIGHT!
All kinds of different wild possibilities become realistically imaginable with him in charge of finding and hiring up and down the line.
Of course, it could also turn out an enormous disaster, eventually producing a godawful mess! But it would be a fun and entertaining ride, no matter what—and I just feel that just about every OTHER road from here now appears to emerge into floundering downward chaos no matter WHAT other moves ensue.
This AD won’t remove Mullen (it is clear he HAS no one else—he never DID), so if that becomes necessary or he has no choice in the matter (if this Coach must somehow, for some reason leave us), he not only has no one in mind, he really has no network from which to make a well-reasoned selection.
So regardless of what happens with Grantham, it may well be that the only remaining “next step” may turn out to be “Replacing Stricklin”! And the question then becomes, “With Whom?”
THAT becomes “a step into the Unknown” REGARDLESS:
“WHY NOT SPURRIER?” may be the loud, crazy refrain.
At this point, I don’t know whether I am serious or NOT!
It’s a crazy “shot in the dark”, like I said. But maybe that’s EXACTLY what we need (?).
Oh, I know I’m just firing my 6-shooter into the sky now; I don’t EXPECT anyone to take this one seriously—More than anything I guess I just needed to let off some steam—hoot, holler and howl at the moon, get some attention and reaction from y’all—ANYONE who might be “listening” (at least reading this stuff, at this point).
I feel that sinking sensation in my gut that we are headed for a long and continued slide, with no sign or clue when it ends and/or when we’ll be back.
This has come upon us pretty damn suddenly, it seems—and I suppose I am just searching for answers, grasping at anything that might turn this all around after all.
Can SS ride in to save us once more??! Probably silly of me to even go DOWN that road—not to mention “sillier STILL” to mention it here.
Sorry, guys. But just for a moment there, did it fire off a spark in any of y’all as well?
Maybe THAT’S why I thought it, said it. And maybe that’s the one part that might contain a kernel of insight:
If Mullen WERE to leave, we may well NEED something REALLY DRASTIC, drastically provocative and interesting to grab back the spotlight of possibilities and “crazy hope”.
If not mine, do any of YOU have any ideas?
I mean, let’s FACE it, the BIG problem keeps coming down to no one being able to suggest or imagine a flashy nor particularly viable alternative out there. Might Spurrier be ready to pull a topper to Holtz bringing HIM to South Carolina as a Coach?
Who might HE bring to UF as a Head Coach, and what might THEY accomplish here??!
Just thinking (wildly, absurdly) out loud, and “outside the box”!
Geez! I’m also still HOPING it doesn’t COME to that. But it may well be coming whether we like it or not—and I am damn SICK of dodging unexpected “surprises” the way we’ve had to over and over again lately. I always regretted that we couldn’t somehow keep Spurrier as our Coach throughout his career, through inevitable ups and downs the way “it used to be” among the very best, especially in the SEC. It wasn’t to be. I don’t know that we wouldn’t have been more or less as successful, but it just seemed “more RIGHT” somehow.
It never “sat” well to see him back coaching in the SEC anywhere BUT with us.
Even worse was his assertion, both when he left and later, when back in college coaching, that pressure and unreasonable expectations from fans, boosters and everyone and everyTHING else drove him out of here by the end of the 90s.
Is it possible that intervening experience, the difference in responsibilities, and his time back WITH us have sufficiently healed “old wounds”? Would he even want or TAKE the job, if offered?
There are those who know the answer to that question RIGHT NOW, I’d wager. It hasn’t come to that—YET.
It’s an interesting question, at the very least.
Thoughts, anyone?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
@DRU2012 I hereby grant you the very first "Jumping the Shark/ Humping the Shark" award. Congratulations.

jumping-humping the shark.png

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Truth is, more than anything I simply DREAD the yawning chasm of “slow, agonizing deterioration” I now begin to see opening up before us.
I mean, this could take YEARS!
Without meaning to get maudlin, let’s just say that I’d like to think I might live to SEE the process through to its triumphant and joyful “return to greatness”!
This all smacks too much of that scene in “The Empire Strikes Back” where Luke fails to raise his X-Wing out of the swamp on Degoba, with Yoda looking on in disappointment (cue the “wilting downer music”)...We almost LOOKED like we were getting it done, But NO...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema