• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Byron Cowart

awebbf5

VIP Member
As most of you already know he had to cut his visit short because his mom was called into work. Anybody heard any inside scoop or know anything if we land him?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I know he's from a high school in the Tampa Bay Area (Armwood, A high school I strongly dislike). Him and Martez Ivey from Apopka are still on the Gators radar.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Byron Cowart tweeted that he and his mom did meet Coach Mac, and they had a nice visit. He apologized for cutting the visit short.

Whether he chooses Auburn or Florida, he seems like a genuinely nice kid. With a new coaching staff, and our lead recruiters from last year now recruiting for rivals, we should expect to lose a few recruiting battles this year.

Another consideration is that he visited UF 8 times between official and unofficial visits. Gator Country reported that this final visit would be short, and that the focus was on meeting the new coaches. Unless the new coaches scared Byron and his mom, I would not make a big deal of them leaving so quickly.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hoping on a couple of "exceptions", but all in all, this class is shaping up as typical for a first year coaching staff at UF. Every one of the last several such (even Meyer and co. their first year) followed the same "lean first class, MUCH better second and full-on great the third" pattern.
Still, gotta hope for a few bright spots, even a surprise or two...but in the previous cases referred to above, very few from those "first classes" even stuck, let alone had impact on the team-to-be down the road 2 or 3 years. I think we'll fill out the team and be better next season, there'll be some "high points", but things won't really begin to come together with any consistency until 2016. I'm trying to dampen my own expectations, consciously "delaying hope and gratification" (in terms of Championships) until the year after THAT.

Escambia94

I posted in the 2015 recruiting class thread that I am done tracking recruiting this year. I posted all the Intel I have on official visits and best guess on who might sign. Just wait and see.

Escambia94

We didn't land him but very happy and amazed with what the staff did. From the high hundreds to top 25 class.
There is one catch. If CeCe Jefferson's dad continues hold up the signing process by not signing the NLI, then CeCe may flip to Auburn or Ole Miss or Bama. That might drop the class ranking a bit.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Talked to cowart's dad yesterday. Said he knew he was going to auburn but said he thought he might go to Florida before it was said and done. Also told me that ivey and Jefferson had told him they were going to auburn. I know there will be a ton of ppl call me a liar but look how long I have been on this board and have never got on here and lied.

Escambia94

Talked to cowart's dad yesterday. Said he knew he was going to auburn but said he thought he might go to Florida before it was said and done. Also told me that ivey and Jefferson had told him they were going to auburn. I know there will be a ton of ppl call me a liar but look how long I have been on this board and have never got on here and lied.
No name calling here. We shall wait and see. They are 19 year old kids who are fickle, unsure, or afraid when making such a big decision. Anything can happen.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
NSD come and gone, and have had a few days to begin to digest all that happened--and as comments here reflect, not all done with yet. At any rate, overall and when all said and done, pretty sure we'll turn out to have done alright--at least as well as, possibly even better than we could have expected or indeed hoped for. The number of last-minute 4- and (especially) 5-star guys either wrapped or "almost" could turn out to be key if most live up close to potential--a number of them are on the lines, which though maybe less splashy/"glamorous" than skill players, could eventually be the foundation for Championships. I went into this with those who talked about giving schools like ours, at the top of a short list of major programs with new HCs and accompanying staffs, a "pass" this time around if they made any headway at all, given their respective situations--but now I truly feel we may turn out to have done a whole lot better than that. And it'll only get better from here. Now we hunker down, see how it settles out, and wait for spring to begin to get an idea of what our future will really look like--and even more important, when the REAL "future", as we envision it, will get here.
In the meantime, personally I'm trying hard NOT to get too wrapped up in the day-to-day, moment-to-moment details of particular still-ongoing individual recruiting-battles. On balance, I'll go with aweb's positive overview at this point, no matter how those turn out (and/or how "the experts" rate the final results--'cause they're NOT "final" at ALL...That's something we won't really know for a coupla years).

Escambia94

One way to gauge Florida's success is to compare it to Michigan's, since they are in a similar situation with a transition year with coaches, a period of decline from grace, and increased competition from rivals.

Coach McElwain's 5 or 6 verbal commitments were ranked at #101 or so by most recruiting services when he took over from Will Muschamp on December 4th, 2014. After NSD, his class of 20 is ranked at #20.

Jim Harbaugh's 6 verbal commitments were ranked at #100 or so by most recruiting services when he took over from Brady Hoke on December 30th, 2014. After NSD, his class of 12 is ranked at #40.

As Alligator Army stated it, this was Florida's best worst recruiting class. This class will not win the conference, but with a backfill next year, the pieces are here for a good run at the conference in a couple years, and just in time for a head-to-head match with Michigan on September 2, 2017 in the Cowboys Classic.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94,
Gotta be careful about taking the parallels OR extrapolations (direct and indirect) too far: What you're saying is valid up until a certain point--and it WILL be interesting to see what happens in the meantime and how for eg. us and UM match up come the projected head-to-head, but honestly, I don't gage our potential OR will measure our progress against whatever the Wolverine program manages from here on out--nor care much about them or anyone else before they're a prospective opponent on THAT season's schedule, at the earliest. Let's face it: It is our (albeit hopeful) assumption that we've got the right coach, putting together a great staff with vision and BIG upside inn the months and years ahead. If not, none of the rest will really matter.
MY main aim now is to try and temper hope and excitement with realism and patience. OK, 2015 won't be a Championship year--but we'll all be looking for improvement, some thrills and accelerating signs that we're back on the rise, building towards a return to dominance. There are different plans and roads to the goal. We just wanna be able to tell that this time there IS "a plan", that we're ON that road...with a minimum of excuses, and yes, a sense that everyone involved, from Head Coach on down, EXPECTS that kind of ultimate success--sooner rather than later.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'm sure some DO Care about UM especially if they can beat those Suckeyes and their coach. UM is at home next season so there's a chance. Back to UF, I hope they're 4-0 before they face against Ole Miss then it's at Mizzo, at LSU, and Georgia. USC east might be challenging since they will be at home and possibly FSU depending who their QB is.

awebbf5

VIP Member
I'm sure some DO Care about UM especially if they can beat those Suckeyes and their coach. UM is at home next season so there's a chance. Back to UF, I hope they're 4-0 before they face against Ole Miss then it's at Mizzo, at LSU, and Georgia. USC east might be challenging since they will be at home and possibly FSU depending who their QB is.
Kentucky and Tennessee will be very rough games. I hope we're 4-0 but wouldn't bank on it Unless McElwain is the offense whisperer

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema