• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Breaking Down Both Off. and Def.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
I am working on stats and rankings of the offenses and defenses of Florida and Oklahoma.

I am not complete with this yet. When I do complete it, I will export it to a PDF and share it with everyone here and on soonerfan.com.

Oklahoma's Offense:
Passing: #3 365.50 ypg
Rushing: #19 205.54 ypg
Total: #3 571.04 ypg
Scoring: #1 54.00 ppg

Florida's Offense:
Passing: #61 212.60 ypg
Rushing: #11 229.77 ypg
Total: #18 442.37 ypg
Scoring: #3 45.15 ppg

Oklahoma's Defense:
Passing: #99 253.08 ypg
Rushing: #18 106.00 ypg
Total: #65 359.08 ypg
Scoring: #57 24.50 ppg

Florida's Defense:
Passing: #19 174.00 ypg
Rushing: #16 105.30 ypg
Total: #9 279.30 ypg
Scoring: #5 12.80 pp

Offenses of Opponents: (average rank and ypg)

Oklahoma
Passing: #34 266.63 ypg
Rushing: #61 155.36 ypg
Total: #35 421.99 ypg
Scoring: #33 33.80 ppg

Florida
Passing: #69 201.23 ypg
Rushing: #67 143.01 ypg
Total: #73 344.23 ypg
Scoring: #63 26.06 ppg

Not finished with the defense ranks and yards per game for each opponent. Once I get finished. I will post them. I am getting ready to leave the house, so I have to put it on hold for now.

Anyway..what does these show you when it comes to the two defenses? Oklahoma has played a very tough offensive schedule for their defense. Where Florida has had a mediocre offensive schedule for their defense.
Please keep in mind that these are their average yard/game and points per game. I did take out UT-Chat. for OU and The Citadel for Florida, since they are not FBS or D-1A teams.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Thanks for the breakdown. I admit that OK puts up pretty stats and looks pretty on film, but that's why they play the game. The stats don't capture the intangibles.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Any one think the rushing average for their defense is so low for OU, because most of the games they play in, the other team is playing catch up?

That could be one reason. But I would say that since OU has one of the better Dlines in the country, that may have something to do with it too. Teams just have not been able to run on them early or late in the game.

Oklahoma State was the best Rushing offense they faced...OU held them to 60 yards below their average. And this game was not guaranteed until well into the fourth quarter.

TCU was the second best rushing offense they faced...OU held them to 113 yards below their average.

Baylor was the third best rushing offense they faced...Baylor rushed for 194 yards, which is just 1 yard below their season average. Yet Baylor only passed for 75 yards against OU.

Not totally sure the entire reasons, but it seems OU does a good job at shutting down the run.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
stats are interesting, but meaningless come kickoff. its all about gameplan, execution, and adjustments during the game.

Thanks you captain obvious. The stats are a good measuring stick for us fans until the game is played. They really don't mean squat, but they show us what each team has done and what each team has faced.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
............They really don't mean squat, but they show us what each team has done and what each team has faced.
Actually I beg to differ. The stats play a huge roll in preparing for your opponent, you cannot get all that you need from watching film. With stats you can evaluate tendencies and plan appropriately. 10-1 the sooners coaching staff is evaluating every minutiae of Florida's stats as we debate for our favorite teams.
BTW, appreciate the effort you went thru to accumalate the data in your pdf.
icon14.gif

Nobody in the Big 12 plays defense, that is why the offenses you face look so effective. I'm telling you right now that Oklahoma can't score 30 points on Florida, so you Sooners better hope that your sorry excuse for a defense can hold the Gators to 4 touchdowns. The only team that you played who has somewhat of a defense beat you. By 10.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
That could be one reason. But I would say that since OU has one of the better Dlines in the country, that may have something to do with it too. Teams just have not been able to run on them early or late in the game.

Oklahoma State was the best Rushing offense they faced...OU held them to 60 yards below their average. And this game was not guaranteed until well into the fourth quarter.

TCU was the second best rushing offense they faced...OU held them to 113 yards below their average.

Baylor was the third best rushing offense they faced...Baylor rushed for 194 yards, which is just 1 yard below their season average. Yet Baylor only passed for 75 yards against OU.

Not totally sure the entire reasons, but it seems OU does a good job at shutting down the run.

It will be interesting to see what they can do against Florida's rushing attack. Kendall Hunter is good, and Zac Robinson makes plays with his feet. But we have Rainey, Demps, Harvin and Tebow coming at you. Not to mention Manny Moody and B-James!

Holy S**t! I just realized the total bad-assedness of our rushing attack! I'm ready for kick-off!

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
It will be interesting to see what they can do against Florida's rushing attack. Kendall Hunter is good, and Zac Robinson makes plays with his feet. But we have Rainey, Demps, Harvin and Tebow coming at you. Not to mention Manny Moody and B-James!

Holy S**t! I just realized the total bad-assedness of our rushing attack! I'm ready for kick-off!

You can have 10 people sharing time in the back field. Fact remains that OU has played better rushing teams than Florida.

Stop acting like Florida is the best thing since sliced bread.

Better yet, I hope the entire nation and your Gators think along the lines of the dumb ones.

Give OU more material and motivation.

IN 2000, I remember OU was going to get beat down by Florida State. How did that go?

inthestands

Gator Fan
Let's get down to business and break down the conferences:

Big 12:
Offense (total) 64,367
Defense (total yds allowed) 58,489

SEC:
Offense (total) 51,568
Defense (totla) 44,928

Leaving the Big 12 with a net of -762 yards compared overall with the SEC

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Let's get down to business and break down the conferences:

Big 12:
Offense (total) 64,367
Defense (total yds allowed) 58,489

SEC:
Offense (total) 51,568
Defense (total) 44,928

Leaving the Big 12 with a net of -762 yards compared overall with the SEC

Yeah, lets use yards that mean little in the game. Scoreboard is what matters.

So try using the scoring offense.

The fact remains, the SEC offenses are no exactly juggernauts. Florida has not even come close to facing the offenses OU has.

People want to say there is a reason the Big 12 looks good on offense, the defenses suck. However they fail to comprehend that the defenses of the SEC may look good because the offenses suck.

The argument will be settled in less than a month. Are you going to be making excuses if OU wins?

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Yeah, lets use yards that mean little in the game. Scoreboard is what matters.

So try using the scoring offense.

The fact remains, the SEC offenses are no exactly juggernauts. Florida has not even come close to facing the offenses OU has.

People want to say there is a reason the Big 12 looks good on offense, the defenses suck. However they fail to comprehend that the defenses of the SEC may look good because the offenses suck.

The argument will be settled in less than a month. Are you going to be making excuses if OU wins?

You've got a valid point, although UGA, UF, Alabama, and Ole Miss have pretty good offenses.

And yes, UF has not faced an offense like OU's all season, but we've still had to face Stafford, Alabama's RBs and offensive line, and our share of good receivers, so it's not like we're going from AAA to the major league when we face you guys.

And on the flipside, OU has not had to face a defense like ours.

And no, no excuses will be made unless we have significant injuries early in the game or something.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
You've got a valid point, although UGA, UF, Alabama, and Ole Miss have pretty good offenses.

And yes, UF has not faced an offense like OU's all season, but we've still had to face Stafford, Alabama's RBs and offensive line, and our share of good receivers, so it's not like we're going from AAA to the major league when we face you guys.

And no, no excuses will be made unless we have significant injuries early in the game or something.

I hope to god, you are not comparing Stafford to Bradford.
And I have already posted about Bama's OL vs. OU's OL. OU's has allowed less sacks, less TOL, and has a better rushing average.

And Yes, OU has had to play a defense near Florida's. As a fan I am not as worried playing against that Florida defense as I am Florida's offense.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan

LOL...OU will playing with their 3rd string Middle Linebacker. Their All-American DE is still not 100%.

OU will not make excuses because OU expects their backups to be able to perform. And OU expects to win, we do not hope to win.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I hope to god, you are not comparing Stafford to Bradford.
And I have already posted about Bama's OL vs. OU's OL. OU's has allowed less sacks, less TOL, and has a better rushing average.

And Yes, OU has had to play a defense near Florida's. As a fan I am not as worried playing against that Florida defense as I am Florida's offense.

Of course I'm comparing Stafford to Bradford. I think Bradford is better than Stafford, but Stafford is still a good QB.

And stop using numbers to say one aspect of a team is "better" than the other aspect of a team. As you have already pointed out, there's a chicken and egg problem: Are SEC defenses good b/c SEC offenses are bad? Are Big 12 offenses good b/c Big 12 defenses are bad? You have your opinion and we have ours. You can use numbers all you want, but it doesn't prove anything in this context.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
LOL...OU will playing with their 3rd string Middle Linebacker. Their All-American DE is still not 100%.

OU will not make excuses because OU expects their backups to be able to perform. And OU expects to win, we do not hope to win.

What are you talking about? You're telling me that if say...Harvin, Tebow, and say...someone on our offensive line don't play more than 1 quarter in the game b/c of injury...and we lose say...38-35, we're not allowed to make excuses? Off course we are, and the media will talk about those hypothetical injuries as well.

The only reason Ted Ginn Jr. lack of playing in Glendale wasn't really talked about was because OSU got DEMOLISHED. But if we beat them 41-35, you bet Ginn's injury would have been mentioned for years to come.

OU_Sooners75

Gator Fan
Of course I'm comparing Stafford to Bradford. I think Bradford is better than Stafford, but Stafford is still a good QB.

And stop using numbers to say one aspect of a team is "better" than the other aspect of a team. As you have already pointed out, there's a chicken and egg problem: Are SEC defenses good b/c SEC offenses are bad? Are Big 12 offenses good b/c Big 12 defenses are bad? You have your opinion and we have ours. You can use numbers all you want, but it doesn't prove anything in this context.

Stafford is not a very good QB. In fact he sucks compared to what OU has seen week in and week out this year.

He would rank #7 in the Big 12 in QB Rating. Yet he ranks #2 in QB rating in the SEC.

I do not think there is a chicken and an egg problem. I just find it funny that your fellow gators will say the Big 2 offenses are good b/c of the defenses suck...while saying in a straight face that the SEC Defense are better.

shandsgator8

VIP Member
Stafford is not a very good QB. In fact he sucks compared to what OU has seen week in and week out this year.

He would rank #7 in the Big 12 in QB Rating. Yet he ranks #2 in QB rating in the SEC.

I do not think there is a chicken and an egg problem. I just find it funny that your fellow gators will say the Big 2 offenses good b/c of the defenses suck...while saying in a straight face that the SEC Defense are better.

Of course there's a chicken and egg problem. It all boils down to (yes, that was a pun) what perspective one takes. And how can you say Stafford would rank #7 in the Big 12 in QB rating? There's no way to say that with the confidence you seem to be saying things.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema