• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Because I was asked...

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
...and need very little incentive to prattle on about the CFL, here's the story for the playoffs where they involve SEC (and especially Gators) players.

West Semi-Final will be Calgary Stampeders vs Edmonton Eskimos.
Edmonton Gators players: None
Edmonton SEC players: Damon Duval (K) - Auburn, Marcus Howard (DL) - Georgia, Ted Laurent (DL) - Mississippi
Calgary Gators players: None
Calgary SEC Players: Demetrice Morley (DB) - Tennessee, Juwan Simpson (LB) - Alabama

East Semi-Final will be Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs Montreal Alouettes.
Hamilton Gators: Dee Webb (DB)
Hamilton SEC: Belton Johnson (OL) - Mississippi, Milt Collins (DB) - Mississippi, Terry Grant (RB) - Alabama
Montreal Gators: None
Montreal SEC: None. They do have Adrian McPherson (QB) from the Noles, but that's about it.

The West is basically a toss-up because both teams have played with some sort of spark coming into the playoffs, winning their last games of the season.
The East is a toss-up because these two teams stunk their way in, and played like absolute idiots who weren't quite sure what sport they were participating in.

Whoever wins the West Semi goes to BC and plays the Lions. Whoever wins the East Semi comes into my town (Winnipeg) and faces my Blue Bombers... outdoors... in November... in Canada.

I'll keep you guys apprised of what goes on if you'd like.

Go Gators!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and need very little incentive to prattle on about the CFL, here's the story for the playoffs where they involve SEC (and especially Gators) players.

West Semi-Final will be Calgary Stampeders vs Edmonton Eskimos.
Edmonton Gators players: None
Edmonton SEC players: Damon Duval (K) - Auburn, Marcus Howard (DL) - Georgia, Ted Laurent (DL) - Mississippi
Calgary Gators players: None
Calgary SEC Players: Demetrice Morley (DB) - Tennessee, Juwan Simpson (LB) - Alabama

East Semi-Final will be Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs Montreal Alouettes.
Hamilton Gators: Dee Webb (DB)
Hamilton SEC: Belton Johnson (OL) - Mississippi, Milt Collins (DB) - Mississippi, Terry Grant (RB) - Alabama
Montreal Gators: None
Montreal SEC: None. They do have Adrian McPherson (QB) from the Noles, but that's about it.

The West is basically a toss-up because both teams have played with some sort of spark coming into the playoffs, winning their last games of the season.
The East is a toss-up because these two teams stunk their way in, and played like absolute idiots who weren't quite sure what sport they were participating in.

Whoever wins the West Semi goes to BC and plays the Lions. Whoever wins the East Semi comes into my town (Winnipeg) and faces my Blue Bombers... outdoors... in November... in Canada.

I'll keep you guys apprised of what goes on if you'd like.

Go Gators!

DEFINITELY...(As I mentioned in my reply on the "Brantley"-thread, my system just got VS finally, so I'll even get to SEE these playoffs!). Will have more to say on this later (have Sunday obligations to fulfill...).

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Well, the first round of playoffs is complete, and here are your results and SEC notes:
Hamilton 58 - Montreal 50
Absolute snorefest until the end of the 2nd, and then the offences decided to put on a show. This one went to OT (which in the CFL is like NCAA rules), and Ti-Cats forced the Alouettes (who, by the way, have been the reigning Grey Cup champions for two years) out.
No real SEC notes, except that Dee Webb took a PI that kept Montreal's drive alive.
One thing I think goes unnoticed south of the 49th parallel: Montreal QB Anthony Calvillo holds the pro football record for yards passing with 73,412.
So, Hamilton heads into my town next week to take on the Blue Bombers. More on that at the end.

Edmonton 33 - Calgary 19
Good game. Lots of back-and-forth until the end. Nice defensive TD by the Eskimos.
SEC notes:
Duval was solid as always, kicking for Edmonton. Demetrice Morley almost changed the game when he went low on Edmonton star RB Jerome Messam and took him out of the game. Totally clean, great hit.
Edmonton makes the trip to Vancouver to take on the BC lions in their home turf.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
And now it's time for your Divisional championships!
East Final: Winnipeg Blue Bombers (cheer for them, alright?) vs Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Winnipeg SEC players: Terrence Edwards (SB - inside receiver) - Georgia, Jonathan Hefney (DB) - Tennessee, Terence Jeffers-Harris (WR) - Vanderbilt, Merrill Johnson (LB) - Auburn.
(Greg Carr is from the Seminoles, and he's been great this year. WR from a few years back. Tall dude.)

Of course, I'm cheering for the Bombers. Last year they went 4-14, but the staff stuck with their team, tweaked a little, and we've stormed back, from worst to first. Hamilton has regularly spoiled our playoff plans in the past, though, and they're coming in off a big win. So, we'll be in tough. Winnipeg is feared for a defense that plays absolutely lights-out, leading the league in sacks and interceptions.

West Final: British Columbia Lions vs Edmonton Eskimos
BC SEC players: None. They do have some players from Texas, though, so feel free to check out their site if you want to know more.

I don't care who wins this, as the Bombers have beaten both these teams in the season. BC, though, is riding a HUGE win streak, dominating in all but 2 of their last 9 games. Plus, they're playing at home. PLUS, the Grey Cup is in their house, and they want to be there. So, honestly, as long as everyone in this game just gets hurt next week so badly they can't play, I'm good.

There you are! Stay tuned for the Grey Cup preview!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(laughing) "...hope they ALL get hurt...": The mark of a TRUE fan (and never MIND all this namby-pamby "Give us your best game"-BS, right?)...of course, in college ball we have to be more "sporting", these are kids, after all--either "student-athletes doing it for the fun, thrill and honor-of-their-school", or future pro-candidates who we (supposedly) want to see "get their shot"...unless of course it's a school/program we really despise, in which case we all secretly feel EXACTLY as you put it there! The only game I've gotten to see since we got Versus here was the last BC Lions game--and they looked pretty strong. I've been to a few of their games over-the-years at BC-Place (nice venue), when I worked on movies up there. Argo games too--but they suck of late, no?
So I take it that, aside from (obviously) beating the Ti-Cats and GETTING to the Big One, you'd prefer to face the Eskimos? Aside from the Lions being on that win streak AND the Cup being played on their home turf, any particular reason (as if that's not enough)?

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Well, the Eskimos have a weaker defense, that's for sure, and our offense has not been wonderful - hot or cold, but never consistent. I'd take them for that reason, even though they have a very strong offense themselves.

But yes, being the away team at BC place (newly renovated and absolutely stunning) during the Grey Cup is a hard gig. Just ask the 1996 Baltimore Stallion team.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Well, the Grey Cup contenders have been decided.

YOUR Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs the BC Lions!

The Bomber win was pure defense. They shone on the field, flying around at the ball carriers like wolves on a deer wearing a meat poncho. Their running game was a beast, racking up 250 yards between the QB and RB. The Ti-Cats had nothing going for them.
All this amidst the controversy of the Bombers cutting Jeffers-Harris (WR, Georgia) in the middle the week. He'd become a locker-room cancer, apparently. But then the Ti-Cats signed the dude... of course, he couldn't play, but it wasn't a secret that Hamilton wanted the inside goods on the Bombers. Didn't help.

The Lions-Eskimos game was dominated by the Lions. They've been on an absolute tear here at the end of the year, and now they're playing for the Cup at home. Sheesh.

Well, that's where we're at. The Grey Cup is next Sunday. Expect either a grind of a game with the Bombers coming out on top, or a loss by at least 2 TDs. It all depends on which Bomber offense shows up.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to humour me. I was ridiculously disappointed with our Gators, but the Bombers' win softened my football weekend.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, the Grey Cup contenders have been decided.

YOUR Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs the BC Lions!

The Bomber win was pure defense. They shone on the field, flying around at the ball carriers like wolves on a deer wearing a meat poncho. Their running game was a beast, racking up 250 yards between the QB and RB. The Ti-Cats had nothing going for them.
All this amidst the controversy of the Bombers cutting Jeffers-Harris (WR, Georgia) in the middle the week. He'd become a locker-room cancer, apparently. But then the Ti-Cats signed the dude... of course, he couldn't play, but it wasn't a secret that Hamilton wanted the inside goods on the Bombers. Didn't help.

The Lions-Eskimos game was dominated by the Lions. They've been on an absolute tear here at the end of the year, and now they're playing for the Cup at home. Sheesh.

Well, that's where we're at. The Grey Cup is next Sunday. Expect either a grind of a game with the Bombers coming out on top, or a loss by at least 2 TDs. It all depends on which Bomber offense shows up.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to humour me. I was ridiculously disappointed with our Gators, but the Bombers' win softened my football weekend.
This is OUR Turkey-Day coming up Thursday (must be sort of strange seeing all that football on TV on the American TV stations up there on what is just "another weekday" for y'all), most folks get a long weekend, and I'm not much of an NFL fan (the only teams I like generally are the ones that run the ball and play tough "D"--at the pro-level, I like old-fashioned ball--cheering on TT is an exception) so on Sunday I'll be settling in to watch the Cup, and from what you say, The Bombers are my kind of team. Still, the Canadian game has long been designed for high-scoring affairs--so that Winnipeg defense WILL be tested, sounds like. All-in-all, sounds like a good, tough head-buttin' confrontation between two completely different styles: hope your fans travel well--that'll help to level the "loud-crowd factor".
As for the Gators, if there were ever a game you were better OFF not seeing, it was the one yesterday--that first quarter was just about the most stunningly bad display possible: every Gator weakness, bad habit, physical and psychological shortcoming seemed to return in concentrated form to adversely affect their play.
The good news? Well, they didn't panic, they did eventually "snap out of it" (somewhat in fits and starts), the offense (led by Brantley, who had his best day as a Gator by FAR) came through for a change, and they DID come back--and finally, relatively late in the game, the defense woke up and put the game away--but none of that SHOULD have been necessary in the FIRST place! To me, the worst part of all of this was how Furman presenting us with a "new offense we hadn't seen on film from them before--and don't normally EVER play against" (according to the coaches), and those coaches having so much difficulty in getting their defense to recognize and adapt to it. The NEXT most disturbing observation was that even against a team that (unlike against the SEC-teams we'd played throughout October and beyond) we finally had the "size-and-speed" advantage on them on BOTH sides of the ball--and yet they STILL were generally able to push us around. THAT is either a matter of technique, and/or one of strength, attitude, motivation and self-discipline. At some point it's on the coaching staff...guys who "just don't get it" must be made to see: learn or leave.
For now, we DO have a bowl bid coming--which gives that staff the valuable 5 extra weeks of practice and reps with the team that otherwise is forbidden to those staying home. Then there is the recruiting "home stretch", "National Signing Day" in February, all important this of ALL years, and every sign points to a top-3 class, perhaps a historic one that exceeds even the "experts' predictions", if the coaches can "finish" well. So, "Next Year" has, in many ways, already begun--or at least WILL have done, right after the annual tilt-to-end-the-regular-season against our familiar and despised adversary from cross-state.
Most of us (with good eyes and clear heads) here at GE mostly dread this one this year--I hate losing to them (we hadn't been doing that so much the last decade or so, 'til last year) ANYway, but facing them with us so beat up, and apparently inept and unready, in the SWAMP, just wrecks my soul. I have little conscious or logical hope, except for that little voice inside (I call the "Eternal Gator") that whispers, "...But wouldn't it be GREAT if we DID???"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hey, I've got a question: How do CFL teams scout and recruit the players coming out of American colleges and PRO teams? Is it "hit or miss", or do they have the sort of "networks" that watch for, follow and/or keep track of small-college kids that are overlooked. and other "hopefuls from larger programs who either don't make the cut or otherwise "lose out in the numbers game" in pro-camps? Since money may ultimately make the difference, how do CFL-contracts for playmakers from "the lower 48" compare to those in the Arena League?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Arena League is four hundred dollars a game (four players per team can give thousand bucks a game). Dallas Baker left Jacksonville to get signed by a CFL team. It used to be more than after the cancelled 2009 they change it.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Scouting in the States is ridiculously important for the CFL; signing an NFL team's castoffs won't always work - Ricky Williams sucked terribly when he came up here - but "non-imports" are vital to fielding a useful team.

So, scouting. Right. Every team has a GM that hopefully has contacts throughout schools and pro teams. The Bombers' GM, for example, used to scout for the Browns. That means he has a tonne of contacts everywhere. Additionally, GMs hire scouts to take over different geographic areas. They check out schools and training camps, attend player workouts, and all the usual jazz that teams do. A team who can scout properly will enjoy a tonne of success. If your scouting is limited, then you'll find yourself constantly struggling.

Each CFL team has a "negotiation list" that determines basically who can sign a specific player. For example, if Tebow was on the Bombers' neg list, only the Bombers could make him an offer. The "neg list" is really vague and they're all kept from the fans pretty much. I believe the CFL head office manages that sort of thing, but each team can only have a certain number of people on their lists. Everyone suspects, btw, that Tebow is/was on Montreal's list, since Marc Trestman is the coach there, and worked with Tim in the off-season to improve his throwing motion, AND was a coordinator for Sabin (Sabin? Don't recall who the runner-up was) when Tebow was trying to reason out where he'd go to school.

Money in the CFL is better than in the Arena, but people on the bench in the NFL make way way better money - heck, I think people on the practice rosters make more or as much as CFL starters. Your big name players can sign upwards of 250 - 350K a season, and the starting salary is something like 40K. Not a lot of people are getting rich in the CFL, honestly, but I think that fits very well with the Canadian mentality about such things; we don't like paying people millions to play sports, it seems, even in hockey (it's a necessity, not something we're pumped about).

That help?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sure answers a lot of my questions...that whole "neg list" thing is a bit strange, though, especially the way it is kept from the public--that, and the accompanying "vagueness", really makes it fraught with opportunity for manipulation, financially-speaking, seems to me. That gets onto the different views of "free-enterprise", entertainment and sport, views which fall within a spectrum of different outlooks that pretty well define our two nations' respective cultural outlooks regarding the idea of "free-enterprise". Personally, while I don't begrudge ANY man's right and ability to acquire whatever amount for his services the market in practice SAYS he is worth, I have long since grown tired of American Pro Football, manifest in the NFL, it's mercenary nature and the way it not only distances the players from their fans, but in most cases (the one exception possibly being in Green Bay, where that relatively smallish city's inhabitants hold the lease on their stadium in perpetuity AND any citizen/resident within its boundaries can own stock in the team--which is owned by that citizenry in its ENTIRETY) the TEAMS themselves from ALL fans. I just don't "get" how folks "identify" with either the teams OR the individuals that compose them. Not like with a college program; THAT I understand.
The CFL strikes me as more "human-scaled", not so much part of that "cult of celebrity", the pandering to and near-worship of the "rich and famous". Anyway, thanks for the info, FG.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
The neg lists are all managed by the CFL front office. There isn't any financial reason for them to mess with the lists. What's more, each team knows who is on the others' lists, so they won't go after those players listed. I don't mind the idea of the thing, but I also wouldn't mind knowing who's on each list.

The neg list just says who has first crack at a player. If they don't come to an agreement about salary, most teams (I'd think) would remove him from their list so they can put a different player on it. There's no benefit to keeping someone on your list that won't play for you when you could be using that spot for someone who will be an impact.

If you want to know more, you can check it out here: http://media.cfldb.ca/documents/appendix-e-part-1-cfl-by-laws.pdf

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Interesting. I think we may see Brantley on a CFL neg list. Unless he throws for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns against the Noles, and outshines the 10 quarterbacks ahead of him at the Combine, he is probably not going to play in the NFL. That would be fine with me, especially as I grow increasingly tired of NFL.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Interesting. I think we may see Brantley on a CFL neg list. Unless he throws for 500 yards and 5 touchdowns against the Noles, and outshines the 10 quarterbacks ahead of him at the Combine, he is probably not going to play in the NFL. That would be fine with me, especially as I grow increasingly tired of NFL.
Well, JB COULD get a "try-out" at an NFL camp, and once healthy, he could catch on there, at least as a 3rd -string back-up--IF he were to pick the right one to "try out" FOR...(we do keep getting these flashes here and there this season, even when banged up, of calm nerves and packet-savvy decisions, and sudden stretches of passing efficiency--all things that NFL-scouts and OCs are looking for in young, raw QBs...the rest is "coachable", from their POV)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Well, another week has gone by. Here is my updated list of quarterbacks for the NFL draft 2012:
  1. Andrew Luck - Indianapolis, round 1, pick 1-3
  2. Matt Barkely - Miami, round 1, pick 2-3
  3. Landry Jones - Washington/Jacksonville/ Denver, round 1, pick 3-15
  4. Tyler Wilson - round 2
  5. Robert Griffin - round 2/3
  6. Brandon Weeden - round 2/3
  7. Ryan Tannehill - round 4-7
  8. Nick Foles - round 4-7
Ryan Lindsey, Kirk Cousins, and John Brantley are left to fight over the remaining slots, and I say that while wearing orange and blue glasses. No other mock drafts have Brantley projected, at least none that I have seen.
Last year there were 11 QBs taken in the draft.
  1. Cam Newton, Carolina, round 1, pick 1
  2. Jake Locker, Tennessee, round 1, pick 8
  3. Christian Ponder, Minnesota, round 1, pick 12
  4. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati, round 2, pick 3
  5. Kolin Kaepernick, San Francisco, round 2, pick 4
  6. Ryan Mallett, New England, round 3, pick 10
  7. Ricky Stanzi, Kansas City, round 5, pick 4
  8. TJ Yates, Houston, round 5, pick 21
  9. Nathan Enderle, Chicago, round 5, pick 29
  10. Tyrod Taylor, Baltimore, round 6, pick 15
  11. Greg McElroy, New York (AFC), round 7, pick 5
Brantley's resume does not look anywhere near as good as any of those 11. I would venture to guess that Brantley's Combine results will beat out most of them, so there is hope. Right now, he is an unknown, and looks like a Josh Harris. Who? Exactly. A player that did great things for a good coach, but wound up playing in the CFL, Arena Football, and United Football League.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Brantley seems like a smart guy, so I'm sure he could learn the rule nuances in the CFL. What I'm hoping is that he can also learn how to manage a "fast clock," a bigger field (longer and wider), and learn the see the extra player. That, I've read a number of times, has challenged NCAA QBs in the past. A pocket passer in the CFL, too, needs a quick release - that means it's time for him to make fast reads and snap the throw off. Slow, windup throws and slow reads makes sure you get killed out there.

I'd love to see him succeed somewhere, since I don't think he's going to experience it with the Gators. Is there a chance for him in the CFL? - absolutely. He'll just have to want it, and recognise he may get paid little for a few years on the bench. Patience will pay off, as long as he's always progressing.

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
Well, the 99th Grey Cup is the book and your champions are the BC Lions, 34-23.

The Bombers offense was asleep for the 1st and 3rd quarters, though they did seem to want to make it interesting with a mere 3 mins left, scoring a TD to make it an 8-point game.

Defense was strong, but the Lions have what I think is the best offense in the CFL. They couldn't make the important stops - those 2nd and 8 passes over the middle for a first down.

I'll give it to the Lions; they earned it the hard way, beating the league's best defense.

That's it till next year. Can't wait!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema